Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

MT to Scoping - Jen

Posted: Nov 15th, 2020 - 9:37 pm In Reply to: Switching from MT to Scoping - Mua

Well, you're definitely doing your research. And it sounds like you already had quite a bit of training at one point. To be clear, I don't read steno at all. It's not really necessary to be a scopist. If you have a good CR, they will correct anything that their software didn't translate. Right now, I only work for 2 CR's. My main client was my original proofreading client referred to me by another CR I did one job for. The other CR I found because a proofreader in a group that I'm in was looking for a scopist for her CR. So, now I have two clients. I haven't actively marketed myself because I can't work full time hours. So I have enough work, but I know there is more out there. So, there is a demand. Most of the schools should teach you how to find clients. So ask before you decide on one. And I don't actually type the transcripts because I don't do legal transclription. I'm only reading through what they already wrote and make corrections here and there. It's so much easier on the hands and neck, in my opinion. Also, depending on your situation, there is a HUGE need for court reporters, both steno machine and voice reporters. So, you might want to look into that if you don't absolutely need to work from home. Although right now because of Covid, quite a bit of the legal work is being done over Zoom. I've heard talk that may somewhat stay the same so people don't have to travel as much for depositions, and then it might be easier to get a CR if a local one isn't available. So, if you can go into court reporting, you can really expand. Just depends on what you can do or want to do. And, yes, Nuance was terrible. I wasn't with them long enough to find out how terrible though, a month or two. But they got rid of the great team I was on, and that was bad enough. Dropped my pay by half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)