Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Integrity.. (Views: 32)

scoping - anon

Posted: Nov 15th, 2020 - 11:39 am In Reply to: Switching from MT to Scoping - Mua

I'm getting close to completing a court reporting program. I don't know a ton about scoping, but I can give you some input.

You would have to buy the translation software compatible with what the court reporter is using, the 2 main ones are CaseCatalyst (CAT) and Eclipse. The audio file syncs with the transcript, so you do have an audio file, but that isn't always 100% reliable. You would have to be somewhat familiar with the shorthand system used.

I don't know about schools for scoping, but I don't know how you could get into it without some training program of some sort. The CAT software (which is what I use) is super complex, lots of bells and whistles. I had to take 2 classes to cover the features on it. Preparation of a deposition or a court transcript is pretty technical. There are so many specs with margins, title pages, exhibit pages, appearance pages, headings, spacing, etc. You have to know the correct formats for different examinations, bylines, and parentheticals. I had 3 classes to cover transcript production, and it was a lot of info to learn. It isn't as easy as filling in a template. The reporter will make mistakes, and you'd have to know the correct way to format. Every deposition agency or court will have their own specs, so you have to know how to tweak those for different preferences.

I do know that scopists have to be very familiar with using the software. Court reporters expect the scopist to produce a near complete final copy, and the reporter will give it a final look to verify. But if they are paying a scopist, they expect you to be doing most of the work on the production/editing/formatting end.

Just FYI, you may want to look into proofreading also. Some busy court reporters use both scopists and proofreaders or just proofreaders. Scopists know the steno and can make those kind of corrections. Proofreaders are more or less just editing grammar, spelling, punctuation. So you might want to check into some proofreading groups on Facebook and see what's out there.

With all that being said, I think scoping is a better path than MT. In scoping, reputation is key. If you can get your foot in the door and establish a reputation of being reliable, accurate, and MEET DEADLINES, you can probably get plenty of work by word of mouth and good references.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)