Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board

Good for you! - Long-time MT

Posted: Dec 17th, 2015 - 8:44 am In Reply to: Good for you! I thought her response was - very unprofessional and

While I wish the MTSO who posted the ad no ill will, I do hope that she will use this as an opportunity to reevaluate how she does business. It may be that she honestly did not know the right thing to do. You know that old saying "You don't know what you don't know?" Just because somebody has enough money (not very much) to file for a business license does not mean that they have ever had a single class, seminar, or any practical experience in running a business. Some people just "start up" their small "businesses" in a corner of their kitchen without consulting people who know the rules and regs. I am NOT saying this is what this person did, but some people in the MT world foolishly do it and sometimes they have to spend thousands of dollars bailing themselves out of legal messes. I have never heard of her company and I have been around this business for many years. I think that the way she uses the English language and the manner in which she addresses business problems speak more to immaturity and lack of professional savoir faire than to a person who has their feet solidly under them in the business world. Maybe this little back and forth will encourage not only the poster of the ad but also other wannabe MTSOs to: 1. Learn the rules and regs before hanging out their shingle and 2. Treat MTs as actual human beings with rights rather than machines who grind out dollars. Sorry, but the golden goose died a long time ago. Bottom line: I hope some valuable lessons were learned. MTs are not going to just lie down and take it anymore. No more exploitation. Ever. By anybody. Who knows? This dialogue may have actually done her a favor. It may have prevented her from having trouble down the road. She has no obligation to listen/pay attention to us, but at the very least, she needs to review the IRS rules and regs (and ADHERE TO THEM) in order to protect herself. And if there are MTs on here who work/have worked for her company, they may want to check with the IRS/Labor Board, too. Perhaps they have some money coming if the IRS/Labor Board determines misclassification has taken place. None of us is qualified to make that determination, but the government is. That is their call, not ours, but if I had worked for such a company, I would at the very least run the issue by the IRS and Labor Board and let them make the determination. If I had paid extra taxes, SS and Medicare monies, I would want those paid back to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)