Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board

Yep, you are right! - Nick

Posted: Dec 16th, 2015 - 1:38 pm In Reply to: I wish I could "Like" this post a thousand times. - People need to start standing up SM

This is absolutely not legal advice--it is only common sense from a long-time MT who once got burned by a giant company (along with several thousand other MTs) and who does not want to see my fellow brothers and sisters in the MT world get stung:Keep a journal with the times you log in and off and the times you sit idle. Print out and make hard copies of ALL communications you receive from the MTSO and time-stamp them. Check with the BBB BEFORE you go to work for any company. While the BBB has no legal teeth, it can provide interesting information. Check for business licensure, as somebody has apparently done. Apparently this business is licensed and their license is current. Anyway, you are right. Document, document, document. Check places like Angie's List for possible reviews of the service, and check local sites that review services, too. And if you see something that you think is amiss, do make a call or e-mail the IRS, the State Income Tax Board (unless you live in one of the states that does not have state tax) the Labor Board, and any employee rights groups you know of in your state. The point is, protect yourself. You do not have to hire a private investigator to get a lot of information. You would be shocked at how much you can find just on the Internet. Also, be concerned when someone in business just uses a first name. Not only is it poor professional manners, it speaks to inexperience. I see ads for MTs saying to reply to "Joe" at xxx-xxxxx. In the legal field, this would not be tolerated. "Joe" would be addressed as:
Joseph Jones, Esq.
Dewey, Cheatem and Howe
1234 Rush Street,
Chicago, IL xxxxxx

as an example. If someone is doing to do business, do it professionally. I realize that law (and banking and a host of other jobs) are waaaay more formal than the MT world, but still.....if you are looking for an employee, do it professionally. Anyway, I have seen lots of cases in which the verdict turned on proper records and timeline documentation. While these were not MT lawsuits, some of them were employment litigation, and others med-mal and PI. It does not matter what kind of a case it is, a sequenced set of notes could be your smoking gun that wins the case and/or arbitration. Of course, if you need to, consult an attorney. There are many law schools and Bar Associations that have a "speak with an attorney" night or some such where people can sign up for 30 minutes of free legal advice from an attorney or a third-year law student. Kudos to everyone who stands up for themselves!

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)