A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

You're the reason my income sucks. - And I, yours.

Posted: Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them.

Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hacked and chopped and cut and eliminated, while experienced people have fled in droves, while turnaround times have shrunk and practically disappeared...you did nothing.  You just let it all happen without so much as a word (except on forums where nothing constructive happens).

What's that?  So did I?  Yeah, I guess I did.

Apparently, women - especially women who have been effectively isolated from the workplace and from the support of each other - are woosy, sucky pushovers.   I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

StillNeedSitters - VrLady

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes VR has arrived (much to the dread of many)and albeit as good as it is, it still cannot stay "home alone" yet. Granted, all you say is true but if you have been in the business for the past 20-30 years, you knew this was coming. The profit-driven corporations have pretty much put an end to the times most of us once knew, comaraderie in the workplace, a living wage, good benefits, stability and retirement. (Although, some still claim to have all of the above, most do not.) At least some of us remember the "good ole days" when one-up-manship did not rule the work place and a good manager never played favorites. What is the point in crying, it is not going to change anything.

You and you alone are responsible for your own self - no one makes you stay, no one

[ In Reply To ..]
should be responsible except the one you look at in the mirror each day. This site has never changed like forever. I made an excellent living doing this when I needed it, excellent. Had I not, then I worked other jobs to supplement. I now am working only parttime because I don't have to work 24/7 and I have an excellent retirement fund. You along with all the others here are not FORCED to stay. You did what you wanted to, why all the angst now?

wow, for somone who does not get it, please speak for yourself, there. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a woman who has been - "effectively isolated from the workplace and from the support of each other" - but I'm no "woosy, sucky pushover," your terminology...not in my eyes nor my MTSOS' (yes pleural).

Obviously you don't get the swing of supply and demand in this profession or you would have seen in coming long ago and adjusted for it.

Nor can you blame a single entity in this multifaceted game of dodge ball.

It does feel good, though, to shed all that disappointment, we've all been there with this. Once you get over it emotionally, you'll find your way.

If MT had been a traditionally men's field, all - of this likely would never have happened.

[ In Reply To ..]

Surely you gest because that's really laughable. - check please. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
reality check that is.

Um, no - xxx

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not think she jests.

I don't believe that for one second. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I completely agree! (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
There is no way a man would tolerate the reduction in pay, being paid for only a fraction of the work he does, being told what tools to use and how to do it, being on-call for free, having to work evenings or grave shift and making the same rate after 30 years as kids out of high school. No way! How many men work for minimum wage?? Even where I live most of them only have an 8th grade education and demand $50 per hour right out of high school.

Yeah, if all the employees in the - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
buggy-whip factories had just stood up for themselves when their jobs went away because cars replaced horse-drawn transportation, there would still be a thriving buggy-whip industry and no cars on the road.

Things change. Opportunities disappear and are replaced by new opportunities. Sitting still while new opportunities pass by isn't "someone else's" fault. It's the fault of the sitter.

jobs change - Cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm probably a pretty typical MT. I have worked as an MT off and on for 20 years or so. But, it has always been at my convenience. It was a very convenient job to have while I was going to college and raising a family. I'm really good at it--not bragging, but if you do something for a very long time you get good at it. I am now working a really neat gig with a company where they have work available 24-7, and I can work anytime I want to--on my schedule, at my whim as it were. The pay is 3.5 cents for VR and 7.5 for typing, and a differential for weekends, so I'm not going to make millions doing this work to say the least. But, for me, trading in the pay for the flexibility is worth it. I have other things I do to make a living, but I'm able to make an extra $700 or so a month in my spare time, without thinking about it so much since I can work anytime I feel like it. I would dislike having to rely on MT for my sole income, but it is a nice way to supplement my income. I also know that one day I'll turn on my computer, and the company I work for will have closed or they will have lost an account--and there goes my gig. I like the idea of having several eggs in my proverbial basket, MT being one of them.

I agree. MT is just becoming obsolete, like telephone operators... - That is why I am getting out of MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I know, I know, it's easier said than done to just "get out" of MT and I'm trying! And once I do, I will never look back or blame the industry no matter how much I want to (I knew it was like this when I came in but didn't want to believe it and can only blame myself for putting up with it) even though I chose to stay an MT (or rather didn't have a choice as no one else would hire me) or go without a job. Once I'm out of MT, I'm out for good! If you like it, good for you, and good luck (seriously). If you don't, just keep applying and applying and applying until you can get out. And yes, I do know how hard it is because I've been actively applying everywhere for 4 years and have yet to get an interview (or a job that isn't through a temp agency).

What exactly were we supposed to do about it? - Try to stop technology?

[ In Reply To ..]
Ultimately, technology is going to render us obsolete. I don't think banding together and making a stand would have stopped that from happening.

Leaving in droves - WXYZ

[ In Reply To ..]
That statement always irritates me - define "droves." I've been an MT since the mid 70s, and speaking for myself 10 years ago and even 20 years ago, things were good for me. I had steady salary increases and my benefits were never cut. My job ended because my employer closed the MT department but I was making pretty big bucks. It was not until I was forced to take another job that I took a cut in pay. Why did people stay? For one thing, they probably loved what they did and 10 years ago no one could predict what was going to happen. Some people needed to work at home for family or health reasons. No one "let it happen," it just happened, nothing stays the same forever. I'm not sure anyone could have done anything anyway. Why didn't you do something instead of telling others that it is their fault?

Really? Do you know how many - fields-have

[ In Reply To ..]
outsourced and slashed wages? Even the environmental services and HVAC at the large corporations is farmed out to agencies that pay their workers next to nothing. In airlines, IC pilots are being used and being worked to death, with very poor wages. Major upscale department stores have put kiosks in their cosmetics departments so clients don't have to deal with salespeople and can order online, after trying testers in the store. Their bagged purchase awaits pickup on the way out. Sales staff slashed in half. Retail was where I got my "unemployment" check but it's difficult to even get a job in retail now. That industry is not doing well at all.

What company hasn't switched to part-time, IC or per diem? My former hospital had a hiring freeze and now ONLY hires part-time and per diem, no benefits. Computer (personal PC, laptop) repair? People buy new ones or figure out what's wrong online. Computer fix-it geeks used to make $80-100/hr now THAT field is seeing huge losses in income.

Count me out - from your accusationsk

[ In Reply To ..]
I have kept one step ahead of the tidal wave. I fled MQ when they starting eating away at the profession. I have currently a stable hospital job with great benefits and 3+ weeks vacation a year. Hosp did outsource but brought it back in and we are assured of our jobs. They are actively seeking new accounts, so I think I will be safe until retirement. Not claiming to be better or smarter than others, just experienced enough to see the wave coming and staying ahead of it.

Sorry, this is not my situation - I am still making a great living

[ In Reply To ..]
Upwards of 50K. We will have a vacancy (one of our MTs is retiring after 45 years MT in our office) and our hospital will be recruiting to fill the position. I've never worked from home, never worked for a service. Of course ours is a pathology department. I say, yet again, working from home was the downfall of this profession.

Where is it? I want to apply. sm - kittykat

[ In Reply To ..]
IMO the downfall of this profession began with production pay.

Pathology positions almost always in-house (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
It is usually called "Medical Secretary" as about 80% is transcription and there are a number of other duties that can't be done at home. Just go to mtjobs and enter "pathology" to find them. I liked having the variety, not to mention the fair paychecks and health insurance.
Our job is at least 95% transcription - the other duty is entering into the system
[ In Reply To ..]
addendum reports which are final results of outside consults. We do not answer clinicians requests for results. We do interact a lot with the residents, fellows, and staff pathologists. We often have to go into the Gross Room and discuss actual specimens (while they are in the process of cutting specimens from the O.R.) Our job title is actually Medical Transcriptionist, not Medical Secretary.
I just looked at the MT Pathology jobs - and they are everyone
[ In Reply To ..]
Is pathology labs the only ones hiring MTs now. There appear to be jobs available in-house all over the country.

uuummmmm okkaaayyyyy - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Income For An MT
Feb 09, 2013

I started out 18 years ago at a very small hospital working as a full-time, in-house employee with benefits and worked with some horrific dictators, but that gave me an excellent start in this field.  I then started working for large MTSOs as a full-time remote employee with benefits, which I did for years, and did very well.  I raised my kids VERY WELL as a single parent doing that.  I was able to work around my family without any problems, i.e. got them up, fed, and off to schoo ...

My Income Has Hit An All-time Low. :(
Dec 13, 2012

Last Friday my paycheck for 2 weeks' work was less than $300.  How am I supposed to live on this?!  My company raised our min. line count rate, and not long ago lowered our cpl pay for VR, which is all we ever get anymore. We also have a higher min. daily required rate. Yet of course, work is getting sparse, especially at this time of year. So I sit and wait, occasionally hitting the download button, and occasionally actually getting a short, almost worthless job spat out at ...

Need Supplemental Income
Apr 15, 2013

Anyone know of a good small company that I can work just for supplental income?  I don't need a lot, just something to help out.  I prefer a small company without all of the bells and whistles that come with the larger ones.  TIA ...

2013 Income
Jan 02, 2014

So how did everyone do this year working as an MT? I earned about $36,000. Wished it was more :( ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

MQ Makes A Net Income Of 9.7 Million.
Feb 01, 2010

http://www.officialwire.com/main.php?action=posted_news&rid=58609   That money is OUR money for what MQ did to all of us and probably most of the money MQ took was from ASR!!!  I see MQ hired ANOTHER VP for global service?  I wonder how much this person makes?  Along with bonuses?  So, that makes what. . .,  30 some VP's who work for MQ?   ...

Income Simple Survey
Mar 24, 2010

After losing an employee status job due to healthcare reform anticipated cuts, I am considering going back to IC status.  Just to keep things super simple, as a baseline would appreciate hearing what ICs are making yearly who work a 40 hour a week.  ...

What Do You Consider A Good Income For MT/editing, Not Cpl But $$
Aug 09, 2012

I do not mean a per line rate, as that will equate to different incomes for different MTs. What do you consider a reasonable annual income for a combination of MT/editing; $25,000, $30,000, $40,000, or more?  My income was $47,000 in the past, and will probably drop to $37,000 this year.  I don't like it, but I do not have a degree, jobs are not plentiful, and I am thinking that in my rural town, I will not do any better, especially considering clothes and gas, etc.  I stil ...

Do Offshore Workers Pay US Income Tax?
Nov 20, 2012

How does that work....taking US opportunity and making profit from it, do they share in the TAXX burden? ...

If In A Leave Of Absence There Is Any Income At All?
Jun 15, 2014

Does anyone know if in a leave of absence there is any income at all?  My 27-year-old son may have cancer.  I'm needless to say devastated and need to be of help to him and his family. ...

1099 Misc Income Question
Feb 09, 2011

What do you do if the 1099 you received from a former client doesn't equal the payments received from them.  It says they paid me more than I received or show deposits.  The office manager will not return calls or e-mails?  She even stiffed me on my last invoice.   ...

Suggestion To Aid With Income-related Discussions.
Aug 10, 2012

I've noticed that we need some sort of standard reference or metric to use when we talk about income-related issues, and this metric should not merely reference dollars (or cents), but should relate this to <i>a unit of time</i>.  At the end of the day, it's how much you earned per unit of time that really matters, and this the only sort of metric that takes into account all of the variables that a mere monetary reference such as "line rate" does not. The line rate pa ...

You Know Your Job As An MT Sucks When:
Feb 08, 2014

- You work full-time, often more than 40 hours a week, and you still qualify for food stamps, special rates on your utilities, and partial unemployment because actual dictation you get each day is so sparse. - Although you're one of the "lucky" ones who has some form of insurance, you still don't visit a doctor because you can't come up with the copayments. - It's been years since you actually went inside a retail store and bought a new item.  You can no longer even im ...

Would Anyone Share What Their Income Is With Me?...wanting To See I Am On Track Of Need To Strive Fo
Jul 20, 2010

Of course this is personal but since we can be anonymous on her, would anyone share what they are making in terms of weekly, hourly, monthly or yearly with me?  I would like to compare with where I am and determine if I am at a good average or way below and need to be doing more.  I would also love it if you could share production lines per hour or day etc.  ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...

DQS Spellchecker SUCKS Nm
May 01, 2010

. ...

Am I The Only One Who Thinks DQS 6.1 Sucks?
Sep 04, 2010

On paper, some of the changes sounded good, like the auto numbering.  But in practice it seems like all this new version does is cause DQS to run much more slowing, constantly locking up, auto-saving (and slowing down) too often, amongst other irritating little things.  Why can't their upgrades ever actually be an UPgrade.  I think they need to start calling them DQS downgrades.  And what I hate the most is in the ADT screen where you used to be able to just hit enter, ...

Mentoring - This Sucks!
Apr 24, 2012

I guess we are all going to get mentored at one point or another as I just received an email to set me up for it.  I make over the lph and get all my required hours in each week so I don't see why I am being mentored at all.  Like I said, I guess we have no choice and will all be mentored sooner or later. This sucks! ...

Nuance Sucks
Jun 25, 2012

Who agrees with me?  Can't wait to get the hell out of there, very soon I hope!  They have their job postings on MTjobs.com because it's a revolving door there, not because of new accounts.  ...

WORK SUCKS
Apr 22, 2013

Let all the part-timers work over the weekend because there is a lot of work, so they dont get paid overtime and then on Monday morning the full-timers have no work. The bean counters got it down to a science! ...

ASR Just Sucks And Getting Worse. Not One
Jul 16, 2013

ASR:   This is because of the patient recently had a TSH of 270 metabolic stress he has had assistant cold for the past 3 years. CORRECTED:  The patient is a 6-month-old female who is here today with her mother and brother. The patient has had a persistent cough for the past 2 months.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME??  I probably got 6 words that was correct in the whole fricken report.  I am counting down the days until I am outta of transcription for good.  Dict ...

This Place Sucks.
Aug 07, 2013

The global MTSOs have ruined everything good about becoming an MT. 1.  Flexible hours (our time, not theirs)- gone 2.  Good pay/livable wage - gone 3.  Unlimited income (lots of work, anytime) - gone 4.  Self esteem - gone Remember the good ol' days?   These metrics and the micro managing are for the birds. Give me a break.   ...

Well That Just Plain Sucks
May 23, 2014

The Eye for Quality poll for today...you choose the person who has the best "eye for quality" and they get an ADDITIONAL $100 gift card.  um no thank you they can all kiss my butt.  Why not give the rest of us a shot at a gift card instead of someone else who has been recognized monetarily???????????? i'm not voting and neither should you.  ...

So, My Paycheck Sucks
Apr 03, 2015

NM ...

Ascend Heatlhcare Sucks!
Oct 14, 2009

Beware anyone thinking about working for Ascend!  They are extremely unorganized and chaotic.  I don't know why they make you submit invoices - which are very time consuming to prepare - when they will just pay you something different or not at all.  They shorted my first paycheck by 1/3.  When I was finally able to get in touch with someone, they did send me the adjustment.... but I have not received my last paycheck at all!!!  I have tried to contact them several ...

New Teamwork Program Sucks. Why Can't Ever Just
May 18, 2011

just leave bad enough alone?  And I thought we were supposed to be able to make timecard corrections ourselves.  I see no place to do that.  I don't even see a place like before where we would ask the CCM to do it.  So now I have a stamp on there I accidently made and can't remove it.  Thanks again MQ.  ...

My Concentration Sucks...tips?
Jul 12, 2011

I have a great job working at home editing. I love it. I've been in transcription 12 years but lately have the worst concentration ever. I find myself getting distracted by the Internet..Facebook, Google, Yahoo, CNN. You name it I'm there in between reports. I know I'm not giving it 100% at work and wish I could concentrate!! FWIW I can't sleep either. Total insomniac. I'm not very productive because of this distractibility and it concerns me a lot. Does anyone have tips ...

Sound Quality Sucks Again
Jul 01, 2014

Back in the 80s and 90s, we had to put up with fuzzy tapes, but I would have thought that by 2014 this would no longer be an issure.   I'm so tired of struggling to hear voices that sound like they're speaking through a long tube or under water. ...

Depressed, Frustrated, MT Sucks!
Jan 29, 2015

So, remember the days way back when we got paid well, were appreciated and could be happy to be MT? Wow I miss that! I hate MTSOs. They all act like we only have work to worry about, they trash you, but never say any good you do. One trainer or QC person grades your work as 99%-100%, another picks apart every comma, period, etc. calling things "critical errors", that honestly aren't! You ask to advance in your position, but no "you're not ready" (after 15 years and previously being a ...

Desperately Seeking Morning PT Radiology Work To Supplement Income
Jan 13, 2012

It seems impossible to find morning work in radiology to supplement my full-time income!  I love my full-time job at Transcend, but I am really needing to find a PT gig to supplement my income.  I current work second shift, but with the economy these days, like so many others out there, I could really use the extra income.  I would appreciate any input about any companies, whether it be IC or employee status, that offers morning work in radiology.  I scour the ads daily ...