A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

2013 income - wondering

Posted: Jan 02, 2014

So how did everyone do this year working as an MT? I earned about $36,000. Wished it was more :(

2013 - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Between 2 jobs and a lot of hours, I managed a little over $50,000 this year. I remember not too long ago when it was higher. :(

2 full time jobs and graduate school - MT

[ In Reply To ..]

Income - Retired, but still working

[ In Reply To ..]
On SS and work part time, figuring around 24K as well; maybe a bit more, but not much. I am happy that I can still work as an MT and do straight transcription and American docs, so I just have to life on that much money and enjoy my life and enjoy my free time and stay active! I have good health and that is worth a million bucks right there, but it would be nice to make more money. Maybe in 2014, now that I have learned to enjoy my retirement, perhaps I can work a bit more, see how it goes, but I count on 24K as my income.
Wonderful that you can even earn that much as an at-home MT - Kitty
[ In Reply To ..]
anymore. No, I expect this once wonderful profession to be downgraded even more that we will all throw in the towel in the next year or two.

While 24K might seem a lot to us home MTs (I do live in a large metro area/city), that amount would be more or less an insult if it were offered for a comparable job on the outside.
$24000 is going rate in the corporate world - Long Time MT-NY
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry to burst your bubble but I decided 2 years ago that I would go back to school, brush up my skills and get a "real" job...well $20000 later I have a "real" job which I hate and gross about $28000 (for 32 hours.) No way to go to full time in this job-I work for a large teaching university-if I go work somewhere else in the hospital the amount I have to pay for parking would be outrageous, I have to pay a lot for my health insurance and put up with the pathetic bull*** that goes on in the "real" word. I really wish I had stayed home and am trying to come back home and work. Be careful what you wish for...there are so many pluses to working at home.

good year - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Main job $59k

IC position $8k

I appreciate 2013 for what it was :)

I thought.... - Surprised

[ In Reply To ..]
From reading the boards I thought everyone was earning less than minimum wage.. and was so pleased with my job where I earned $37,000 this year.. way down from what I use to earn but I know I don't work as hard. I am glad to see others doing okay too. $37,000 is not enough... but its way better then minimum wage.

"everyone earning less than minimum wage" I agree - almost all posters - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
complain about making minimum wage and how badly pay has dropped, but accoring to these posts, these people have made between $25 to just over $30 an hour. Those posting that they made $57,000 and $59,000 a year - That means that they averaged over $30 dollars an hour.

And those who made $37,000 or more averaged around $20 an hour. Folks, that is not minium wage. Exactly how many lines an hour are you all averaging? And what are your line rates? Just an honest curious question. If you can provide that info, then who do you work for? Thanks.

Meant to say averaging between $20 and $30 an hour. - curious what your line rates are and

[ In Reply To ..]
how many lines per hour you average or where do you work?

stats - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I made $59k on my employee position working 5 days a week (8 hours) and 4 hours on Saturday. I make 8 cpl.

Some days I can do 700 lph and others ADD kicks in and I do 200, so thankfully it averages out somewhere around 500 lph.

My company gets its a$$ kicked here so I'm not willing to share their name but they are not a big company, east-coast based.

This is the first year in many, many that MT has evened out enough for me to make a nice paycheck. I was looking at Social Security stats over the weekend and it's been 10 years since I made this much. I know it's not like that for everyone and don't fool myself into thinking it will last long-term. Just need a few years.

They are likely being less than truthful - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Given the prevailing MTSO MT/VSR rates of 3 to 4 for VR and 7 to 8 for straight typing, for someone to be making $25-30 an hour would be physically impossible.

Furthermore, any MT making $25-30/hour would NOT be wasting any of that "expensive" time posting on this board... their time would be too valuable, wouldn't you think?
I also get 200 miles per gallon of gas (LOL).
I just love this - not
[ In Reply To ..]
8 cpl and you do 300- ($24) or 400 - ($32) lph. If you're an experienced MT and can't transcribe that, then you've missed out I guess. If we could put pictures on here, I'd scan you my last paystub. Just shy of $59k. But of course as is par with MT Stars, if you do well, have a positive experience, etc, the naysayers call ya a suit or a liar. That's okay, it must make ya feel good so keep it up.
Right - and you do 400 lph at 8 cpl - Not a naysayer, but
[ In Reply To ..]
300 - 400 lph, straight typing at 8 cpl.

Of course, we assume you're passing all those 99% quality audits, too.
It would be possible.... Sm - Old Woman
[ In Reply To ..]
if there were tons of templates and normals available for use.

The thing that we seem to be forgetting here is that the MT industry is in no way a cookie cutter industry in that each MT has a different experience. Some work for mega MTSOs who undercut with their pay and offer little availability of work, consequently putting them (usually) on the lower end of the scale. On the other end of the scale are MTs who work for private physicians, clinics, and even hospitals (yes, there are still some out there which employ MTs directly rather than through a service) who have ample work, many samples and normals and templates available to them, easy dictators, and may even be paid on an hourly basis rather than by the line. All these conditions need to be taken into account when talking about salaries/paychecks. Unfortunately, we don't know on this board who works for whom or what their situation is. I also realize there are MTs out there who are struggling for various reasons as well as MTs who are making a decent, even lucrative living. Let's not be too quick to judge a person's answer to this ticklish question without taking into consideration all the possible scenarios. Just sayin'.....
You can scan you paycheck, copy or photo - it and post. Please do.
[ In Reply To ..]
IME... - PepperPotts
[ In Reply To ..]
When I started out I hired as an IC for a small locally-owned transcription biz. I see how fortunate I was in that because my intro rate was .07 cpl. AfternI was off proofing she raised me to .08. I stayed with this small biz for ten years till EMR forced us to downsize.. (the most MTs she ever had was 22) but it was a very nice environment and we were assigned however many providers we could handle. She gave us .01 cpl raises every two years... I capped at .11 cpl on a Hem-Onc ESL acct and .10 for the rest.

Overall, my earnings were about $2500 / mo.

I had a rude awakening when I went to work for an MTSO. In comparison with what I was used to... it was slave labor. I never made more than $400 / week and my reports were nitpicked to the point that I was losing confidence in my skills... but when you're forced to type hundreds of different providers in any given week, and never allowed to become familiar with any of them, yet expected to not oaks questions or leave blanks, as this would be overly dependent upon your QC editor... whilst maintaining a 98% accuracy rate and a minimum production quota.... its a recipe for depression and fury.

I miss my old company... she's still in biz, but now has only 10 MTs. I only left because I had to move state, and even then she allowed me to type for her until she ran out of work.

MTSO's, generally speaking IMHO are robbing all of you for your hard work and time. You have to be darn good at what you do and every one of you is worth no less than .08 cpl EVER!!!
oh yeah - PepperPotts
[ In Reply To ..]
I forgot to add... that monthly was earned typing about 3 - 4 hours of dictation per day. So your avghourly obviously would depend on your speed, but she sent files in the early a.m. via FTP, iI worked how and when I wanted, and as long as they were back by 6:00 a.m. the next morning... all was Fab.
truthful - 36K
[ In Reply To ..]
at MModal, because I am paid 10/6. I know it won't last but that's what I'm making right now.
ever heard of a break !! try not to be so jelly - pbj
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

They are likely being less than truthful - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Given the prevailing MTSO MT/VSR rates of 3 to 4 for VR and 7 to 8 for straight typing, for someone to be making $25-30 an hour would be physically impossible.

Furthermore, any MT making $25-30/hour would NOT be wasting any of that "expensive" time posting on this board... their time would be too valuable, wouldn't you think?
I also get 200 miles per gallon of gas (LOL).

STATS - Surprised

[ In Reply To ..]
I make 10 cents a line at a local small hospital, monday through friday, 8 hours (or a little more someetimes) per day. Been here 8 years, was 27 years at a large local hospital chain that sold out to India but I saw it coming and switched the year before they laid everyone off. I consider myself very lucky, missed out on the severance pay but hey, I have a job. Use to earn up in the $50,000 range but just can't work that hard anymore...

Never Had Enough Work Unless - Outofmymindyo

[ In Reply To ..]
I was drowning in three companies trying to get enough work. Anytime I'm with more than one company there is too much work, but anytime I am with one company I don't have enough...I've decided to just stick with one until I get the he** out of this line of work, hopefully soon. I think I probably made about $13,000 this year and that'll be if I'm lucky.

Wow! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Where in the world do y'all work? I'm nowhere near that!!!!!!!!!!

Feel free to email me if you don't want to post the name for fear of having everyone flood the company with resumes. :)

Wow - You can say that again

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree; those salaries sounded pretty darn good to me. I am thinking to make that kind of money, you either have your own accounts or work a lot and by that, I mean a lot. I cannot be tied to this computer and wait on work or work 2 or 3 jobs; been there, thank you very much. I work as an IC so have to contend with my own taxes, which I do, and so I have to allow for that when I turn in my lines. I can work as much as I want or not and I try to keep it at part time, but right now, believe or not, we have a lot of work, so I may plunk myself down and transcribe and stay off MTStars and Amazon.com! :o)

no just one regular MT job - mtr

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

$8,037 - Addison

[ In Reply To ..]
That's the thanks I get for babysitting my computer for 60 hours per week. However, back in November, I just started working (at home) for a local doctor making $16/hour.

$11,300 - One part-time IC job and going to school full-time - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Less than $5,000, working part-time - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Before my original contracting company was acquired by Accentus, which was then acquired by Nuance, I was making over $10k, working the same number of hours, same line rate. You figure it out.

A little over 16K - Raye

[ In Reply To ..]
That is full time... running out of work all the time. 2014 is the year I get out!

how much does the tax man get? - office girl

[ In Reply To ..]
just wondering, I always had to pay the IRS. Maybe those of you who have PTO also get taxes taken out of your check. I never could find those jobs myself. Now that I've gone back to work, I plan on paying off the IRS and having a little retirement to boot. I suppose those folks that budget have their own nest egg though.

taxes - Surprised

[ In Reply To ..]
Taxes are taken out, get full benefits. I owe the IRS though cause of taking out my retirement when I switched jobs.. don't really understand HOW I owe the IRS but they say I do... sigh. So every year what I should get as a refund goes to the IRS.

$18K grossed for 2013... - SAD

[ In Reply To ..]
Working 1 FT MTSO job, no OT, not including PTO, just regular FT hours making minimum line count at 1 tier below my prior CPL (QA score brought me down so I was forced to slow down), I grossed $18,000 for the year. I've lost approximately $1000 a year each year since being an MT.

NJA New Years Day. Signed in 1 hour. Did 2 reports. Made $7.29 for that hour, less than minimum wage! I made no resolutions this year other than getting out of MT!

I'd gladly take anyone's $36K.

Probably 16-18K range - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
That is what it was last time I looked, not too long ago. I work 35 hours a week and some of that was helped by having the "incentive pay" when switching platforms, etc. as we switched to Nuance from Transcend. I was also forced off my familiar account around August/September so that had an impact.

30k - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
I made 30K doing VR, can't complain!

2013 Income - Fedup2

[ In Reply To ..]
$33,000 for 2013. It's insanity to me that once upon a time I made a good bit more than that yet worked ("babysitting"/unpaid time) fewer hours to get it!

Just under 30K, down from over 60K a year ago - On my way out

[ In Reply To ..]
Unbelievable and all through no fault of my own, but due to NJA. I recently finished school and will be out of MT for good as soon as possible.

Where do you work?!?!?!?!? - Depressed

[ In Reply To ..]
$12,000 gross for the year full-time :(

No kidding! Where are these 30K and up - jobs?

[ In Reply To ..]
Not for me. I'll be lucky to break 18K. No work half the time. Sold to the big N and now make even less.

One said she works at a hospital making 10 cpl - and averaging 500 to 700 lines an hr.

[ In Reply To ..]
Another said she makes 8cpl at a hospital but didn't say how many lines. No one else commented on pay and lines.

Seems a little far fetched; however, it is a lor easier to make money in the hospital because ASR is better trained and lines add up a lot quicker than they do working for the MTSOs. Even straight typing you can easily and consistently hit 250 lines per hr.
Average pay for 2013 - uniquemonique
[ In Reply To ..]
IF you are an experienced MT, and IF you have the same accounts and can make templates for all of them and shortcuts galore, yes, It is possible to make 500, even 700 lines an hour. But IMHO this is the big exception to the general MT work now. Same scenario applies to VR - in the ideal situation it would work but not the way most MTSOs are using it.

where I work - Surprised

[ In Reply To ..]
I work at a small hospital in a big city dominated by chain hospitals. I get 10 cents a line. No VR, straight typing...I don't know how long this will last, we have new owners from out of state, but I just keep chugging along...

$23,150 MT and $8200 my outside part-time job- sm - XXX

[ In Reply To ..]
My MT# is 3 MT jobs added together....$17K at my main MT job, one was a job where the accounts were lost, the other is now my 2nd MT part-time "backup" job. Did very well at my outside part-time job (not MT), don't uusally make more than $3K there, so $8K was very good, work a lot more hours obviously. Just glad to clear over $30K in all.

$38K, small MTSO, straight typing, plenty of work - SAM

[ In Reply To ..]
Properly staffed, rarely run out of work, very decent CPL plus bonus pay offered if work gets close to being out of TAT. (I just work the one full-time job).

How did I do? - Just a girl

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm a long-time MT, work 36 hours a week, made 33K.

Accentus, I'm broke. - Horrible

[ In Reply To ..]
Before Accentus bought On-Time, I averaged around $40k a year working whatever hours I wanted. Through Accentus, lack of work, I made a whopping $11,320 for the year. Needless to say, I quit. Sitting in front of the computer and begging for work after 17 years of being an MT, that's crazy.

Calculating your hourly wage... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Someone once told me that to figure out your yearly gross income, you take your hourly wage x 2 and add the zeros. Example: $12/hour x 2 = 24,000 per year.

So, since I grossed a whopping 18,000 for 2013, I did the opposite and dropped the zeros, divided by 2, and came up with $9/hour. Yep, 9 bucks an hour to do MT. I calculated that I have lost approximately 1 dollar an hour each year since starting VR. I was happy to be making $12, then even $11, but now $9??? BOOO

It's pretty sad that I'm looking to get out of MT to do any job (FT with benefits would be nice) or at least a PT supplemental job that pays $10 an hour because sadly that is now a step UP for me. So glad I wasted 2 years and thousands of dollars in my tech school program to become an MT...NOT!

Similar Messages:

Income For An MT
Feb 09, 2013

I started out 18 years ago at a very small hospital working as a full-time, in-house employee with benefits and worked with some horrific dictators, but that gave me an excellent start in this field.  I then started working for large MTSOs as a full-time remote employee with benefits, which I did for years, and did very well.  I raised my kids VERY WELL as a single parent doing that.  I was able to work around my family without any problems, i.e. got them up, fed, and off to schoo ...

My Income Has Hit An All-time Low. :(
Dec 13, 2012

Last Friday my paycheck for 2 weeks' work was less than $300.  How am I supposed to live on this?!  My company raised our min. line count rate, and not long ago lowered our cpl pay for VR, which is all we ever get anymore. We also have a higher min. daily required rate. Yet of course, work is getting sparse, especially at this time of year. So I sit and wait, occasionally hitting the download button, and occasionally actually getting a short, almost worthless job spat out at ...

Need Supplemental Income
Apr 15, 2013

Anyone know of a good small company that I can work just for supplental income?  I don't need a lot, just something to help out.  I prefer a small company without all of the bells and whistles that come with the larger ones.  TIA ...

2013 CPT
Oct 11, 2013

Looking for CPT code for excision of 1.5 cm perianal cyst.  Anyone?  ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

MQ Makes A Net Income Of 9.7 Million.
Feb 01, 2010

http://www.officialwire.com/main.php?action=posted_news&rid=58609   That money is OUR money for what MQ did to all of us and probably most of the money MQ took was from ASR!!!  I see MQ hired ANOTHER VP for global service?  I wonder how much this person makes?  Along with bonuses?  So, that makes what. . .,  30 some VP's who work for MQ?   ...

Income Simple Survey
Mar 24, 2010

After losing an employee status job due to healthcare reform anticipated cuts, I am considering going back to IC status.  Just to keep things super simple, as a baseline would appreciate hearing what ICs are making yearly who work a 40 hour a week.  ...

What Do You Consider A Good Income For MT/editing, Not Cpl But $$
Aug 09, 2012

I do not mean a per line rate, as that will equate to different incomes for different MTs. What do you consider a reasonable annual income for a combination of MT/editing; $25,000, $30,000, $40,000, or more?  My income was $47,000 in the past, and will probably drop to $37,000 this year.  I don't like it, but I do not have a degree, jobs are not plentiful, and I am thinking that in my rural town, I will not do any better, especially considering clothes and gas, etc.  I stil ...

Do Offshore Workers Pay US Income Tax?
Nov 20, 2012

How does that work....taking US opportunity and making profit from it, do they share in the TAXX burden? ...

You're The Reason My Income Sucks.
Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them. Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hac ...

If In A Leave Of Absence There Is Any Income At All?
Jun 15, 2014

Does anyone know if in a leave of absence there is any income at all?  My 27-year-old son may have cancer.  I'm needless to say devastated and need to be of help to him and his family. ...

Anyone Use MS Word 2013? What
Oct 30, 2014

Is it pretty much the same as 2007 and 2010?  ...

1099 Misc Income Question
Feb 09, 2011

What do you do if the 1099 you received from a former client doesn't equal the payments received from them.  It says they paid me more than I received or show deposits.  The office manager will not return calls or e-mails?  She even stiffed me on my last invoice.   ...

Suggestion To Aid With Income-related Discussions.
Aug 10, 2012

I've noticed that we need some sort of standard reference or metric to use when we talk about income-related issues, and this metric should not merely reference dollars (or cents), but should relate this to <i>a unit of time</i>.  At the end of the day, it's how much you earned per unit of time that really matters, and this the only sort of metric that takes into account all of the variables that a mere monetary reference such as "line rate" does not. The line rate pa ...

2013 New Pay Compensation Programs
Dec 12, 2012

I just listened to the recording and now i'm wondering how is my pay going to be determined.  See my account holds clinic and acute care mixed all together.  So which rate will I be paid and why is it that nobody can answer this question w/in the company that I have asked thus far. I also love that in the beginning of the recording on the presentation is states that we will be compensated for ALL time spent typing and editing to include research, proofing and demographics.  ...

Microsoft Office 2013
Feb 27, 2013

It's time for a new PC, and I found a great deal on a brand new one that comes loaded with MS-Office 2013.  It took forever to get used to 2010.  Anyone here had experience with 2013?  Pros and cons, please.  ...

2013 Pulse Survey - Sm
Aug 09, 2013

Oh, please! ...

2013 HIPPA, How Does That Apply To ICs
Aug 25, 2013

Just saw a posting below where this year we would have a title of business associate instead of ICs. What does this mean to us in any way. I only know the very basics of HIPPA, not how this would differ now. Thanks. ...

AIHMA / Atlanta 2013
Oct 21, 2013

I was at MModal's website and saw that the AIHMA convention is actually going to be in Atlanta next week.  I live in Atlanta and was wondering if anyone has ever been to one of these conventions?   It looks like it mostly pertains to coding and upper management, but several companies are going to have booths there.  They have a 1-day hall expo pass for $75.  I'm just wondering if it might be worth my while to go.  I thought it might be worthwhile just to get a ...

Would Anyone Share What Their Income Is With Me?...wanting To See I Am On Track Of Need To Strive Fo
Jul 20, 2010

Of course this is personal but since we can be anonymous on her, would anyone share what they are making in terms of weekly, hourly, monthly or yearly with me?  I would like to compare with where I am and determine if I am at a good average or way below and need to be doing more.  I would also love it if you could share production lines per hour or day etc.  ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...

Oh, BROTHER! AHDI's Email About ACE 2013
Apr 05, 2013

AHDI is encouraging me to seek financial support from my employer so I can go to the annual convention this year.  Is this email a joke?  I can't even make a living wage from my employer so I can eat and pay the bills.  What's wrong with these people??? ...

Input From Word 2013 Users
May 12, 2013

Is Word 2013 backwards compatible with Word 97-2003? I  am having to upgrade to a new computer since my work computer just died after several years.  If I get Word 2013, will the hospital and clinics be able to read the documents?  They are running Word 97-2003.  I was previously using Word 2010 and had no issues.  Is it possible to just buy a new license for my disc of Word 2010 after using up the three installs? ...

ADVANCE 2013 Salary Survey
Oct 17, 2013

The ADVANCE Salary Survey is available to participate in and includes asking salary information about medical transcriptionists. Link is below to participate.   ...

Recent (as Of 11/12/2013) Information On Babbletype
Nov 13, 2013

I tested with the company and about 2-3 weeks later, received an email from them stating I had done well on their test and was offered employment as an IC.  In order to test for them, I had to install Google Chrome (making for a total of 4 internet browsers now on my computer).  I felt the testing procedure was a bit cumbersome, but managed to muddle my way through it.  However, the test was a piece of cake, when compared to actually working for this company.  You HAVE to use ...

Outlook 2013 Email Question
Nov 19, 2013

Hope someone can help me with this one.  I recently updated to Windows 8 and Office 2013.  As of about five days ago my deleted messages are NOT showing up in the deleted items folder.  Not sure if I inadvertently changed a setting, or what the problem could be.  I'm using Comcast email, IMAP account.     Thanks!!!  ...

Help! Need New Line Count Software With MS 2013
Feb 02, 2014

Hi. I just switched computers this week (grumble) and my old linecount software doesn't work. I need a line count software (easy to use, cheap? free?) that works with Microsoft Word 2013.  Any ideas?  thanks ...

Companies Compatible With Office 2013
Jun 04, 2014

I've noticed that some companies are insisting on 2007 or 2010 Office systems, depending on what their platforms support.  I currently work for a company whose platform is compatible with Office 2013, which is what I have on my PC, but we're running out of work more and more.  I need to find another company that will accept Office 2013.  Are there are any others out there? ...

Is The Only Way To Purchase MS Word 2010 Or 2013
Oct 30, 2014

Need to buy MS Word for my new job.  However, when I purchased the 2007 version online it was an "academic version" only.  Can't use that.  I guess I have to buy a newer version, like 2010 or 2013, but it seems like the only way to do that is via download and then you pay a subscription of ??? per month or year?  This is fine by me IF the company will allow that.  I just want it to be legal and a licensed full version...obviously the one I purchased online was NOT.& ...

Has Anyone Using Express Scribe Along With Word 2013 Had (sm)
Nov 25, 2014

any trouble with Word not responding.  This happened to me a couple months ago, Geek Squad saw nothing wrong, it stopped happening and then today it happened 3 times within an hour.  Unfortunately I have to terminate the program, lose my work, reboot the system (or it will be extremely sluggish) and then it works fine. I am wondering if it has something to do with FileFort Backup or FastFox which downloaded when I purchased Express Scribe.  Any help would be appreciated! ...