A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My concentration sucks...tips? - Skittle

Posted: Jul 12, 2011

I have a great job working at home editing. I love it. I've been in transcription 12 years but lately have the worst concentration ever. I find myself getting distracted by the Internet..Facebook, Google, Yahoo, CNN. You name it I'm there in between reports. I know I'm not giving it 100% at work and wish I could concentrate!! FWIW I can't sleep either. Total insomniac. I'm not very productive because of this distractibility and it concerns me a lot. Does anyone have tips on how to re-gain my concentration?

I feel your pain... - ADD MT

[ In Reply To ..]
wish I could help...can't wait to hear the advice 'cause I need it, too!!!

LOL - I need advice too! I sometimes have to - check all those places even - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
when I'm midway through a report.

Glad I'm not the only one! - Skittle

[ In Reply To ..]
Hopefully one of these really, really productive people has sage advice for us. LOL I'm literally at the point where I'm about to ask my doctor if I have adult ADD! Jeez. And to think I feel guilty if I have to get up to pee! That's the least of my problems. LOL

MT ADD - Hammer

[ In Reply To ..]
So, it seems really, really silly, but then I have an extremely tough day I pretend I'm working in an office and my hospital administrator is walking around, looking over my shoulder as I work. It keeps me off my "fun" sites. If I can do that for just an hour or two, suddenly I seem to get back into the swing of things and can finish the day off productive.

I do notice that if I didn't get enough sleep the night before my mind wanders much, much more than than when I'm rested. In fact, I'm pretty sure tonight is an Advil PM night.

Hope that helps!
Skittle, fix the sleep problem and I bet the attention - span will make an excellent recovery. Also,
[ In Reply To ..]
memory will improve, energy, the whole package. I'd put that at the top of the to-do list. Which reminds me, I really should get back on a more functional sleep schedule myself.

I had to do a couple of things... - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
Most important, for me, was to change shifts completely. I work for a place that has scheduled 8-hour shifts...can't just log in and out whenever. During the day there were just too many distractions, some physical, some in my head (gotta do laundry, clean, putter outside, etc).

So, I requested to move to the nightshift. BEST THING I EVER DID. My line counts went from barely the minimum of 1200/day to nearly 2000. Nothing going on at night, so no excuses not to work!

The second thing I did was be sure to make time for a break. Work like a dog for 2 hours, then break for 15 minutes AWAY from the computer, then come back and finish the second 2-hour leg of the first 4 hours. Break for lunch (where I almost always take a nap!), then come back and finish out the rest of my shift, balls to the wall nonstop working until it is time to punch out.

It's hard, no doubt about it. I've only been doing this for about 11 years now and am JUST hitting my stride as far as sitting the frig still and doing what I'm hired to do.

What also helps me is that the type of work I have is almost all wicked short TATs, so there really is no wiggle room as far as slacking off. I'm terrified of my employer losing accounts (and therefore me out of a job!) because TATs aren't met and it kinda bums me out to see my co-workers not hauling patootie in the same way, but I have to remember, I was there too.
:-)

My tips - wanderer

[ In Reply To ..]
I installed a sidebar that has an alarm. I set it for 2 hours. My rear end is glued to the chair and I can't get up until I work for 2 hours.

I can get 9 hours of sleep at night and fall asleep while editing a report at 10 a.m., so I rely on Nuvigil and caffeine to get by. I used to drink 5-Hour Energy and it worked well. I know there are going to be those who don't like these supplements, but they actually do work for many people. I'm now taking Nuvigil and a caffeine pill (equal to a cup of coffee) to get through the day.

I also limit my breaks to 15 minutes.

I only open sites that I use for work. I can easily get sucked into a favorite site for an hour or so (gee, I wonder why I have to work until 9 p.m.?!)

I stay off sites like MTStars. Oops, I guess I'm busted.

Good luck. I hope you can find some helpful tips and maybe think of some ideas and share them with us.

Editing ruined my concentration... - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
I found it very hard to keep focused when doing editing versus straight typing. When you're typing every word, you use the pauses in the dictation to catch up. When you are just editing, you're just sitting waiting for the doctor to start talking again. For me, that was an excuse to facebook or something else. Now that I'm back to straight typing, my concentration is back to normal.

I know this doesn't help fix your concentration issue, but maybe it will help you understand it and know that it's not "just you." : )

Editing is ruining my concentration because it's so - boring. I doze off all the time.

[ In Reply To ..]
The rest of the time, I have a hard time focusing because I'm constantly worried, 24/7, 365 days/year, about how I'm going to pay my bills, keep my old car running, not fall behind on rent, and keep from starving. The worry just never goes away.

Here's what I do... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
At my job when I get work I can get two jobs at a time. I used to get two, type them, and then get two more. That left me time to go to other sites, check e-mail, etc. Now I get my next job while I'm still typing my 2nd report, and keep doing that all day (getting my next job before I send my current report in), and that way I don't have the lag between jobs to lure me away. It really has made a HUGE difference and has cut an hour-and-a-half to two hours off my workday, which is awesome! If there is any option that lets you always have the next job waiting, it really takes away that distraction period of waiting for the next job.

concentration - mtgirl

[ In Reply To ..]
I sometimes will go days without taking vitamins and then my concentration suffers.

Similar Messages:

Poor Concentration With SR
Mar 29, 2012

Has anyone had a really hard time concentrating since going to speech recognition work, and figured out how to overcome it??  I've tried using the on line clock, and find that I am actually getting about 5 hours in within my 8 hours.  Seems like the harder I try to concentrate the more my mind wanders. ...

Brain Fog, Poor Concentration
Sep 15, 2011

Does anyone have brain fog and difficulty concentrating when listening to speakers sometimes?  If so, what do you do to help clear the cobwebs so you can get back and focus on the work?  I can use any tips you may have.  Thanks in advance. ...

Concentration With Long Reports
May 19, 2015

I really need help with this. I am great with my speed and concentration on reports up to a length of about 6 minutes. If the report is longer than that, I tend to loose concentration, veer off, want to get up and change laundry or check email. VERY DISTRACTED. Any suggestions how to stay focused? ...

S/l "les-a-icks" Test. Lower Extremity Concentration.
Jun 11, 2010

Any ideas? I am not as familiar with this area. I don't even know what to google anymore. :( ...

Very Concenrated Urine With Greater Than "ten Thirty" Concentration
Jul 20, 2010

How would you write out ten thirty?  Thanks! ...

You Know Your Job As An MT Sucks When:
Feb 08, 2014

- You work full-time, often more than 40 hours a week, and you still qualify for food stamps, special rates on your utilities, and partial unemployment because actual dictation you get each day is so sparse. - Although you're one of the "lucky" ones who has some form of insurance, you still don't visit a doctor because you can't come up with the copayments. - It's been years since you actually went inside a retail store and bought a new item.  You can no longer even im ...

DQS Spellchecker SUCKS Nm
May 01, 2010

. ...

Am I The Only One Who Thinks DQS 6.1 Sucks?
Sep 04, 2010

On paper, some of the changes sounded good, like the auto numbering.  But in practice it seems like all this new version does is cause DQS to run much more slowing, constantly locking up, auto-saving (and slowing down) too often, amongst other irritating little things.  Why can't their upgrades ever actually be an UPgrade.  I think they need to start calling them DQS downgrades.  And what I hate the most is in the ADT screen where you used to be able to just hit enter, ...

Mentoring - This Sucks!
Apr 24, 2012

I guess we are all going to get mentored at one point or another as I just received an email to set me up for it.  I make over the lph and get all my required hours in each week so I don't see why I am being mentored at all.  Like I said, I guess we have no choice and will all be mentored sooner or later. This sucks! ...

Nuance Sucks
Jun 25, 2012

Who agrees with me?  Can't wait to get the hell out of there, very soon I hope!  They have their job postings on MTjobs.com because it's a revolving door there, not because of new accounts.  ...

WORK SUCKS
Apr 22, 2013

Let all the part-timers work over the weekend because there is a lot of work, so they dont get paid overtime and then on Monday morning the full-timers have no work. The bean counters got it down to a science! ...

ASR Just Sucks And Getting Worse. Not One
Jul 16, 2013

ASR:   This is because of the patient recently had a TSH of 270 metabolic stress he has had assistant cold for the past 3 years. CORRECTED:  The patient is a 6-month-old female who is here today with her mother and brother. The patient has had a persistent cough for the past 2 months.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME??  I probably got 6 words that was correct in the whole fricken report.  I am counting down the days until I am outta of transcription for good.  Dict ...

This Place Sucks.
Aug 07, 2013

The global MTSOs have ruined everything good about becoming an MT. 1.  Flexible hours (our time, not theirs)- gone 2.  Good pay/livable wage - gone 3.  Unlimited income (lots of work, anytime) - gone 4.  Self esteem - gone Remember the good ol' days?   These metrics and the micro managing are for the birds. Give me a break.   ...

Well That Just Plain Sucks
May 23, 2014

The Eye for Quality poll for today...you choose the person who has the best "eye for quality" and they get an ADDITIONAL $100 gift card.  um no thank you they can all kiss my butt.  Why not give the rest of us a shot at a gift card instead of someone else who has been recognized monetarily???????????? i'm not voting and neither should you.  ...

So, My Paycheck Sucks
Apr 03, 2015

NM ...

Ascend Heatlhcare Sucks!
Oct 14, 2009

Beware anyone thinking about working for Ascend!  They are extremely unorganized and chaotic.  I don't know why they make you submit invoices - which are very time consuming to prepare - when they will just pay you something different or not at all.  They shorted my first paycheck by 1/3.  When I was finally able to get in touch with someone, they did send me the adjustment.... but I have not received my last paycheck at all!!!  I have tried to contact them several ...

New Teamwork Program Sucks. Why Can't Ever Just
May 18, 2011

just leave bad enough alone?  And I thought we were supposed to be able to make timecard corrections ourselves.  I see no place to do that.  I don't even see a place like before where we would ask the CCM to do it.  So now I have a stamp on there I accidently made and can't remove it.  Thanks again MQ.  ...

You're The Reason My Income Sucks.
Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them. Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hac ...

Sound Quality Sucks Again
Jul 01, 2014

Back in the 80s and 90s, we had to put up with fuzzy tapes, but I would have thought that by 2014 this would no longer be an issure.   I'm so tired of struggling to hear voices that sound like they're speaking through a long tube or under water. ...

Depressed, Frustrated, MT Sucks!
Jan 29, 2015

So, remember the days way back when we got paid well, were appreciated and could be happy to be MT? Wow I miss that! I hate MTSOs. They all act like we only have work to worry about, they trash you, but never say any good you do. One trainer or QC person grades your work as 99%-100%, another picks apart every comma, period, etc. calling things "critical errors", that honestly aren't! You ask to advance in your position, but no "you're not ready" (after 15 years and previously being a ...

So It Appears Medquist Sucks Up Spheris?
Apr 15, 2010

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2010/04/it-looks-like-we-have-winner-medquist.html ...

For His Intubation, He Was Given Sucks, Fentanyl, And Etomidate. Sm
May 15, 2012

I know sucks is a verbal short-cut for something, but what?   ...

The Audio Quality Of This Call Sucks
Oct 15, 2012

xx ...

Hey SOFTSCRIPT! ZIMBRA EMAIL SUCKS!!
Oct 16, 2012

Takes forever to load!  Slow as _____. Cannot customize toolbar! Toolbar takes up 1/2 the screen!  Bad choice!! ZIMBRA SUCKS! ...

Nuance Sucks! I Just Quit. No Notice.
Dec 11, 2012

nm ...

Cerner Platform Is Clunky And It Sucks!
Feb 27, 2014

I always thought Cerner was a high-tech big deal.  After working on their platform, I think it's crap.  You'd think as much money as a huge company like that has and makes, that they could come up with something better. I don't have experience on a ton of platforms, but I do have experience on Bayscribe, ExText and ExEditor.  All of them are way better than Cerner; more tailored toward the transcriptionist.Like in ExEditor, you finish one report and when you se ...

Chronicle Moves To ASR And The Line Rate Sucks...nm
Mar 12, 2010

xx ...

Pretty Sad When Your Kid In College Can Take 5 Minutes And Tell Me Why This Company Sucks
Mar 04, 2012

I tell him a little of what goes on here...and he says if they idiot factored in the cost of doing this, this and this instead of keeping people without work and bitching, the company would make far more money...Not gonna give his tips away, if they want them they can hire him, not that he would work for a company that is run so poorly.. ...

Opinions Please--Nuance Ins Ded Sucks 2500; But I Need Comp Equ Supplied--sm
Nov 20, 2013

I'm considering going back to MModal, which I hated but their deductible is only $500.   ...

Tips
Mar 23, 2010

Anyone got tips on pacing themselves or how to make things go smoother.  I am a new MT and really want to do well since I left a good job to work from home, as it was a dream of mine.  I realize that patient is a virtue.  Something that I would like to possess more of. I am setting up my shortcuts, and feel like I am working my fingers to the bone, and not getting anywhere.  Any tips and advice on things that will help me move right along will be much helpful.  ...