A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Income for an MT - MTof18YRS

Posted: Feb 09, 2013

I started out 18 years ago at a very small hospital working as a full-time, in-house employee with benefits and worked with some horrific dictators, but that gave me an excellent start in this field.  I then started working for large MTSOs as a full-time remote employee with benefits, which I did for years, and did very well.  I raised my kids VERY WELL as a single parent doing that.  I was able to work around my family without any problems, i.e. got them up, fed, and off to school in the a.m., worked while they were gone, then did all the running around with them, ate dinner, watched some TV with them, and then worked for a few hours after they went to bed.  In order to be able to make it work, I would usually do ER and trauma work at night and anything that was available during the day.  I also started taking on my own accounts at the same time.  I was able to take my weekends off for the most part so I could do family stuff, but I did work my butt off during the week.  We had a very nice life, nice homes, nice cars, and took lots of vacations.  Eventually, I had all my own accounts and just subcontracted some extra work as a steady source of income.  I have always been able to support myself in this field.  Last year was a very slow year for me, but I still made $47,500 working DAYS, no nights, no weekends.  NONE of that would have been possible if trying to work though one of the large companies working on CRAP accounts with these platforms that require to do all kinds of extra steps you aren't paid for and sitting around waiting for work.  If you want to make money, you have to go out and step outside of your "comfort zone" and LOOK FOR THE WORK.  Update your resume.  Get recent letters of reference.  Make flyers and business cards.  Go out and knock on doors - doctor's offices, clinics, outpatient surgery centers, dental offices, eye clinics, etc.  Just picking up ONE small account could get you started.  Working for yourself means no more working crappy hours on crappy accounts making crappy line counts, but it isn't going to knock on your door - you have to go out and find it!!!  If you have the time to sit on this website and whine and complain, you certainly have the time to do these things and make a change.  Is it easy?  No, nothing ever is.  But, once you get that first account, it's easier to get the next one, and SO WORTH IT.  If you don't believe in yourself enough to take the time to make your life better, trust me, nobody is going to do it for you.  I don't mean to offend anyone here, but there are truly better ways to spend your time (ON YOURSELF) than complaining here where it isn't going to make your life any better.  Just try it.  :)  

AMEN! So well stated!.....nm - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

More ideas for you........... - MTof18YRS

[ In Reply To ..]
I did forget to mention to be creative when looking for work, think out of the box. You can always offer to work as an employee or IC, THEIR choice, etc. If you are tired of working at home, check in your area for "scribe" positions too! It's relatively new and being used in hospitals, clinics, and offices where the "scribe" literally follows the doctor around with either an Ipad-type device or laptop on a rolling cart and LIVE transcribes into the hospital system while the doc is seeing the patient. I know it's being tried in lots of ERs, as it it cheaper to pay a "scribe" to do that than a doctor or nurse, and could be a good field to move into if you are just tired of MT.

Unfortunately, at least in my area, scribe positions are advertised at $10-11/hour. :( nm - Not a living wage for me

[ In Reply To ..]
xxx

Scribes make about $8.50/hr here & seem to have no medical knowledge... just a clerical position - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Thank you for the optimism - MT of 30+ years

[ In Reply To ..]
However, I would like to point out that obtaining new accounts and having enouh work to pay the bills and make a decent living would only work in certain situations. You forgot to mention that many offices use Dragon now, and if it is a small office, the provider or the staff that is already on hand does the editing. Many places already use MTSOs and I'm sorry to say, they all go for the lower line rates these days. Where I work, there are 2 large facilities who both use MTSOs (My MT department was closed) and only 1 or 2 small offices, and they are happy with what they are doing. MTs are not lazy or stupid; if the work was there, they would be doing it. You need to realize that MT is not what it was when you were fortunate enough to obtain your accounts. When soliciting new accounts, you might inquire as to whether they need someone to QA the work, there seems to be a need for that now.

Getting your own accounts - MTof18YRS

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, let's face, EVERYONE is trying to cut back, so lots of clinics, private docs, etc. have tried Dragon, but for a lot of them, they don't like it! The subcontract work I do now, I have been doing for that company for almost 10 years, BUT all of the current private clients I have today are newer, within the last couple of years. Things change - sometimes new management creates change, sometimes the economy, etc. That is why it's always best to have 3-4 sources of income, which is what I have always done. Don't shy away from a "small" account - take it! But, be create - don't just look for the typical straight medical work - be open to alternative transcription. I once transcribed for a woman who went back to school to be a psychiatrist. When studying, to make it easier to remember key things, she would dictate paragraphs or entire pages rather than taking notes. That way she could just listen to her notes instead of reading them. I did her work for an entire year, loved it, and it was really interesting and easy work. Medical-legal reports (worker's comp)are another good avenue for income. Yes, things have changed, but it doesn't mean there isn't work out there, you just need to be more creative to find it.
You also need equipment. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You also need to provide quick turnaround, and you also need to be prepared for that day you walk in and they tell you they've gone with EMR.

So save that money you make just in case.

To me that is still living on the edge. I've lost everything to EMR.

Nothing will stay the same ever, and always look to expect the unexpected.

If this is the way you want to live, on edge, then by all means beat the pavement and look for those accounts and make the equipment purchases or try and talk the client into making them.

Digital records are a few hundred dollars. Maintaining an FTP site can cost money. It does cost money to make money, so be prepared for that as well. Always, always, always have a savings account with at least a month of pay in it for that day they tell you they no longer need you and give you no notice at all. This happens constantly.
Scribes - Employed Scribe
[ In Reply To ..]
I have been a scribe for over a year now, starting at $16 an hour and now make $20 (I live in the midwest). This is a doable job for a good former MT. Do not pay former TRS Unversity the likes of the $2000 plus they are asking for; you already know how to do the job and trust me, even in NextGen you can pull this off (you will be speeding ahead putting in their normals because you are so much faster than exam time reality. There are companies out there that want to hir grad students and premed's. Good for them, get an interview an point out how many training dollars you will be saving them because pre-grad and pre-med student go to schoo and you will still be there delivering meaningful use and that's cha ching money in their practice. No what the criteria for meaninful use is.

I want you to give up on the negative outlook and I want to strangel the people who contstantly tell you how bad it is.

If you are a good MT, editor, you can be a scribe. If you got of the train yesterday, well take a number.

I know it's hard leaving home to work but hey a lot of people do. I have personally driven through some wicked snow just to get their and do my job. I know that provider can no longer function unless I do show up and make meaninful use for him.

You can do this friends.
scribe - wanda
[ In Reply To ..]
I notice though that you don't know the correct usage of the word "their", should be "just to get there and do my job." The scribe jobs around here sure don't pay near as much as that, and to be an MT you have to know how to spell very well.
Agree. Scribes don't make much more than Walmart wages around here. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Scribe pay - MTof18YRS
[ In Reply To ..]
Like any other job, it will depend on the hospital and location, but it can pay decently - you just have to look. Plus a lot of those jobs might be full-time positions with benefits and if you prove yourself, you can advance. Here are some examples:

Facility: UHS Wilson Medical Center
Department: WILSON ED SCRIBES
Schedule: Part Time 1
Bi-Weekly Hours: 48
Shift: Varies
Salary: 11.04 - 16.21
-----------------------------------

Chester County Eye Care Associates
915 Old Fern Hill Road
West Chester, PA 19380
Job Title:EMR Medical ScribeShareThis Posted: January 26, 2013 Status:Full-time or Part-timeSalary/Wage:$11.00 and $14.00 Depending on Experience Benefits:Health, Dental, Short term disability, Long term disability, Life Insurance, 401k
-------------------------------------
Midwest Eye Consultants, P.C.

Base Pay : $14.00 - $16.00 /Hour
Employee Type : Full-Time

Remember there are lots of people on these boards saying that they aren't making enough in MT right now to pay the bills, some are only making minimum wage, and others collecting UE. A scribe job paying $11.00 - $16.00 an hour to start (some full-time with benefits) could lead to much higher wages or just a foot in the door for something else. Just letting people know that there ARE options out there.
If I have to buy clothes, gas, and take time to get - there possibly a long commute (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
I am now back down to minimum wage. Gas is 4.00 a gallon.

What's being here for my daughter's school activities worth? It's priceless.

Thanks for being a marketing engineer for human resources and putting what you thing would be great for other people. I'm glad it worked out for you but here in my state, the scribe jobs pay minimum wage and they hire pre-med students. I don't plan to uproot to another state to find another minimum wage job maybe. Thanks for you help though.

A lot more comes into play with working from home than just plain working from the comforts of home. I can't put a price on it and I'm sure other Moms feel the same way. Thanks though... glad it works for you.
To: If I have to buy clothes, gas, and take time to get - there possibly a long commute - MTof18YRS
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't work as a scribe - I am still working as an MT and doing okay. I was merely trying to give ideas to those who aren't making enough or aren't making ANY money because they are stuck with the big companies and their low pay and unstable work loads. I just feel badly for those who have worked hard and maybe are feeling so down that they don't know where to turn.
I understand and I am fine as an MT as well. - I had to ditch the large national (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
but not everyone can really do that right now. I know you're giving ideas, but the first thing you said was hit the pavement and get your own accounts without indicating the real cost of that which is buying equipment and maintaining it and the extra hours put in for administrative duties that go along with that.

Then you mentioned scribe as if every state offers those high pay rates, and they do not.

I understand where you are coming from but sometimes people cannot just jump up and switch what they are doing to involve a commute and possibly working crazy hours and finding daycare. It's just not that easy for everyone.

I've had my own accounts and the administrative part took time as well. I also had phone calls all day for STATs and faxes and this and that, lost reports... it's not cut and dry. You don't just sit there and type and you're done. Doesn't work that way as you should probably already know.

I lost everything to EMR, so one needs to be prepared for that as well. Glad you're doing well, again, but it's not always that easy to up and jump and switch around especially when children are involved.

Easy to tell others what to do. Good for you. - Dragon

[ In Reply To ..]
You were only in it 18 years, while someof us chose it as a 'career' and have been doing it for over 30. Those jobs you 'talk' about are not there either. The offices are hooked up to the hospitals who are making the extra cash by having the doctors use their Dragon or their Nuance program. You are also talking 18 years ago. The doctors have the convenience and are now used to just picking up the phone and having it done for them. Unless you want to buy the Dragon, then I'd say you are correct. Don't put people down for somewhere to vent. You want to be an entrepeneur, good for you. You like selling yourself, that too is not for everyone.

Similar Messages:

My Income Has Hit An All-time Low. :(
Dec 13, 2012

Last Friday my paycheck for 2 weeks' work was less than $300.  How am I supposed to live on this?!  My company raised our min. line count rate, and not long ago lowered our cpl pay for VR, which is all we ever get anymore. We also have a higher min. daily required rate. Yet of course, work is getting sparse, especially at this time of year. So I sit and wait, occasionally hitting the download button, and occasionally actually getting a short, almost worthless job spat out at ...

Need Supplemental Income
Apr 15, 2013

Anyone know of a good small company that I can work just for supplental income?  I don't need a lot, just something to help out.  I prefer a small company without all of the bells and whistles that come with the larger ones.  TIA ...

2013 Income
Jan 02, 2014

So how did everyone do this year working as an MT? I earned about $36,000. Wished it was more :( ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

MQ Makes A Net Income Of 9.7 Million.
Feb 01, 2010

http://www.officialwire.com/main.php?action=posted_news&rid=58609   That money is OUR money for what MQ did to all of us and probably most of the money MQ took was from ASR!!!  I see MQ hired ANOTHER VP for global service?  I wonder how much this person makes?  Along with bonuses?  So, that makes what. . .,  30 some VP's who work for MQ?   ...

Income Simple Survey
Mar 24, 2010

After losing an employee status job due to healthcare reform anticipated cuts, I am considering going back to IC status.  Just to keep things super simple, as a baseline would appreciate hearing what ICs are making yearly who work a 40 hour a week.  ...

What Do You Consider A Good Income For MT/editing, Not Cpl But $$
Aug 09, 2012

I do not mean a per line rate, as that will equate to different incomes for different MTs. What do you consider a reasonable annual income for a combination of MT/editing; $25,000, $30,000, $40,000, or more?  My income was $47,000 in the past, and will probably drop to $37,000 this year.  I don't like it, but I do not have a degree, jobs are not plentiful, and I am thinking that in my rural town, I will not do any better, especially considering clothes and gas, etc.  I stil ...

Do Offshore Workers Pay US Income Tax?
Nov 20, 2012

How does that work....taking US opportunity and making profit from it, do they share in the TAXX burden? ...

You're The Reason My Income Sucks.
Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them. Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hac ...

If In A Leave Of Absence There Is Any Income At All?
Jun 15, 2014

Does anyone know if in a leave of absence there is any income at all?  My 27-year-old son may have cancer.  I'm needless to say devastated and need to be of help to him and his family. ...

1099 Misc Income Question
Feb 09, 2011

What do you do if the 1099 you received from a former client doesn't equal the payments received from them.  It says they paid me more than I received or show deposits.  The office manager will not return calls or e-mails?  She even stiffed me on my last invoice.   ...

Suggestion To Aid With Income-related Discussions.
Aug 10, 2012

I've noticed that we need some sort of standard reference or metric to use when we talk about income-related issues, and this metric should not merely reference dollars (or cents), but should relate this to <i>a unit of time</i>.  At the end of the day, it's how much you earned per unit of time that really matters, and this the only sort of metric that takes into account all of the variables that a mere monetary reference such as "line rate" does not. The line rate pa ...

Would Anyone Share What Their Income Is With Me?...wanting To See I Am On Track Of Need To Strive Fo
Jul 20, 2010

Of course this is personal but since we can be anonymous on her, would anyone share what they are making in terms of weekly, hourly, monthly or yearly with me?  I would like to compare with where I am and determine if I am at a good average or way below and need to be doing more.  I would also love it if you could share production lines per hour or day etc.  ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...

Desperately Seeking Morning PT Radiology Work To Supplement Income
Jan 13, 2012

It seems impossible to find morning work in radiology to supplement my full-time income!  I love my full-time job at Transcend, but I am really needing to find a PT gig to supplement my income.  I current work second shift, but with the economy these days, like so many others out there, I could really use the extra income.  I would appreciate any input about any companies, whether it be IC or employee status, that offers morning work in radiology.  I scour the ads daily ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

Strange Category On A "Miscellaneous Income" Tax Form
Mar 28, 2015

That's truly miscellaneous, along with the golden parachute category and the proceeds paid to an attorney.  I've never seen this form before.  Wonder why the MTSOs would use that instead of a 1099.  ...

"Nuance Does Not Owe You Any Certain Income"
Jun 01, 2013

Some of these I've had said to me directly, others passed on to me by other MTs genuinely hurting to pay rent. ...