A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do offshore workers pay US income tax? - Curious

Posted: Nov 20, 2012

How does that work....taking US opportunity and making profit from it, do they share in the TAXX burden?

That is a very good question I would like to know. - hairpulling

[ In Reply To ..]
I like research so much I will have to see if I can find an answer to this. If I find it I'll post it.

No, they do not. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Why would they? You don't pay taxes based on where the company you work for is based. You pay taxes based on where you live and work.

Why should they share a tax burden on a country they don't even live in?

It makes me angry that our jobs have been destroyed by these companies sending our jobs overseas but let's at least keep the argument real and focused on the real enemy, Nuance, et. al.

Foreign taxes - Nancy

[ In Reply To ..]
The US is the only country whose tax laws require citizens to pay US taxes regardless of where they live. That said, the US also have reciprocal agreements with some countries (like Canada) to allow the citizens to pay tax there instead.

India workers living in India do pay taxes to India - but not the US

[ In Reply To ..]
Regardless of the fact Nuance is originally a US company. Nuance has a headquarters in India and Nuance pays less tax to India so guess again if you think Nuance isn't trying hard to move most of the work over there.

http://www.ntsindia.in/contact.asp
India should pay very heavy taxes to the U.S. for - devouring so many of its jobs.
[ In Reply To ..]
I also wonder when all those workers who think they've got it so good working for American MTSOs, are going to realize that they, too, are being screwed, just like we are.
US Taxes - Nancy
[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, that is what I said. Only US citizens (not Indian citizens) pay US taxes. What I also said is that even US citizens who live in foreign countries must pay US tax (with a few exceptions where reciprocal agreements are in place) and the US is the only country that requires this.

Nope. The more work that goes to them, the less tax - $ there is to support our crumbling infrastructure

[ In Reply To ..]
The offshore workers don't pay U.S. taxes, and the companies that do the offshoring get tax breaks for doing so. And who pays for all that? We do.

If an agreement isn't reached soon enough to prevent us all from going "over the fiscal cliff", so to speak, and we end up paying higher more taxes so that the rich can keep their perks and their loopholes, I for one am all for not paying mine at all this year. At least, not what I owe after whatever is taking out of my paycheck. And I think the rest of middle-class America should very seriously consider a nationwide TAX STRIKE.

Similar Messages:

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

Income For An MT
Feb 09, 2013

I started out 18 years ago at a very small hospital working as a full-time, in-house employee with benefits and worked with some horrific dictators, but that gave me an excellent start in this field.  I then started working for large MTSOs as a full-time remote employee with benefits, which I did for years, and did very well.  I raised my kids VERY WELL as a single parent doing that.  I was able to work around my family without any problems, i.e. got them up, fed, and off to schoo ...

My Income Has Hit An All-time Low. :(
Dec 13, 2012

Last Friday my paycheck for 2 weeks' work was less than $300.  How am I supposed to live on this?!  My company raised our min. line count rate, and not long ago lowered our cpl pay for VR, which is all we ever get anymore. We also have a higher min. daily required rate. Yet of course, work is getting sparse, especially at this time of year. So I sit and wait, occasionally hitting the download button, and occasionally actually getting a short, almost worthless job spat out at ...

Need Supplemental Income
Apr 15, 2013

Anyone know of a good small company that I can work just for supplental income?  I don't need a lot, just something to help out.  I prefer a small company without all of the bells and whistles that come with the larger ones.  TIA ...

2013 Income
Jan 02, 2014

So how did everyone do this year working as an MT? I earned about $36,000. Wished it was more :( ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

MQ Makes A Net Income Of 9.7 Million.
Feb 01, 2010

http://www.officialwire.com/main.php?action=posted_news&rid=58609   That money is OUR money for what MQ did to all of us and probably most of the money MQ took was from ASR!!!  I see MQ hired ANOTHER VP for global service?  I wonder how much this person makes?  Along with bonuses?  So, that makes what. . .,  30 some VP's who work for MQ?   ...

Income Simple Survey
Mar 24, 2010

After losing an employee status job due to healthcare reform anticipated cuts, I am considering going back to IC status.  Just to keep things super simple, as a baseline would appreciate hearing what ICs are making yearly who work a 40 hour a week.  ...

What Do You Consider A Good Income For MT/editing, Not Cpl But $$
Aug 09, 2012

I do not mean a per line rate, as that will equate to different incomes for different MTs. What do you consider a reasonable annual income for a combination of MT/editing; $25,000, $30,000, $40,000, or more?  My income was $47,000 in the past, and will probably drop to $37,000 this year.  I don't like it, but I do not have a degree, jobs are not plentiful, and I am thinking that in my rural town, I will not do any better, especially considering clothes and gas, etc.  I stil ...

You're The Reason My Income Sucks.
Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them. Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hac ...

If In A Leave Of Absence There Is Any Income At All?
Jun 15, 2014

Does anyone know if in a leave of absence there is any income at all?  My 27-year-old son may have cancer.  I'm needless to say devastated and need to be of help to him and his family. ...

1099 Misc Income Question
Feb 09, 2011

What do you do if the 1099 you received from a former client doesn't equal the payments received from them.  It says they paid me more than I received or show deposits.  The office manager will not return calls or e-mails?  She even stiffed me on my last invoice.   ...

Suggestion To Aid With Income-related Discussions.
Aug 10, 2012

I've noticed that we need some sort of standard reference or metric to use when we talk about income-related issues, and this metric should not merely reference dollars (or cents), but should relate this to <i>a unit of time</i>.  At the end of the day, it's how much you earned per unit of time that really matters, and this the only sort of metric that takes into account all of the variables that a mere monetary reference such as "line rate" does not. The line rate pa ...

Would Anyone Share What Their Income Is With Me?...wanting To See I Am On Track Of Need To Strive Fo
Jul 20, 2010

Of course this is personal but since we can be anonymous on her, would anyone share what they are making in terms of weekly, hourly, monthly or yearly with me?  I would like to compare with where I am and determine if I am at a good average or way below and need to be doing more.  I would also love it if you could share production lines per hour or day etc.  ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...

Desperately Seeking Morning PT Radiology Work To Supplement Income
Jan 13, 2012

It seems impossible to find morning work in radiology to supplement my full-time income!  I love my full-time job at Transcend, but I am really needing to find a PT gig to supplement my income.  I current work second shift, but with the economy these days, like so many others out there, I could really use the extra income.  I would appreciate any input about any companies, whether it be IC or employee status, that offers morning work in radiology.  I scour the ads daily ...

Any TTS Workers Who...
Feb 23, 2013

work on the account that starts with a B and has 6 letters?  Could you please email me your yahoo messenger ID so we can keep in touch in case I have questions as I have seen the efficiency in which "the team" gets back to me.  I would very much appreciate it.  Thanks. ...

Something We Workers-at-home Need To Consider...
Jan 21, 2010

when I started telecommuting full time.It finally penetrated my consciousness a couple of weeks ago that every year, when it came time to renew my auto insurance policy, I used to get a call from a local agent, and we'd go over the policy, making sure there were no changes. One of the questions was always how many miles did I drive to and from work each day, along with the current odometer reading, and the estimated number of miles driven each year.I haven't gotten one of those calls i ...

Weekend Workers?
Feb 13, 2011

How many of the MTs here work on the weekends? ...

Workers Comp
Apr 21, 2011

Anyone know how to write an appeal letter?  I was denied by the judge, even though my doctor said I have wrist and hand tendinitis due to typing for 16 years.  Wow, i'm devastated, not only am I hurting, but financially a wreck.  Anyway, I am writing an appeal to the board and have no money to visit a lawyer, wondering what goes in an appeal letter.  Any help greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

They Want Third Shift Workers, But....
Dec 12, 2011

So sorry for the rant, but I am so tired of companies wanting us all to cover third shift, but don't want to pay anything extra when we do and if they do it's something like a quarter of a penny, what in the world is that?   I know I shouldn't complain, but this shift is HARD to work, especially when you have little ones.  Just a little frustrated tonight, and I know there are people who have it worse than I do, but I don't have anywhere else to vent.  Thanks ...

Any Acusis Workers Happy There?
Jul 02, 2010

I want to go into this job with an open mind, but I just keep reading horror stories. So can anyone give me positives of working there? ...

Investigation Of 3 MQ Workers Of The Trade Act?
Mar 13, 2010

Medquist, Inc., Norcross, GA; Notice of Termination of Investigation Mar 12, 2010 (FIND, Inc. via COMTEX) -- Pursuant to Section 223 of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended, an investigation was initiated in response to a petition filed on November 19, 2009, by three workers on behalf of workers of MedQuist, Inc., Norcross, Georgia. The petitioning group of workers is covered by an active certification, (TA-W-72,153) which expires on September 22, 2011. Consequently, further investigation in thi ...

BP Will Compensate Gulf Workers But
Jun 16, 2010

for our government happily supporting offshoring? ...

Acusis Workers, I Have A Question
Jul 13, 2010

I want to buy a brand new laptop to work on. But I don't want the software to slow down my computer or a bunch of intrusive, bloated software on a new computer. I'm not talking about while I'm working. While I'm working, I know things will be slow. I'm talking about when I'm not working. ...

Question For Spheris MQ Workers
Feb 19, 2011

I recently accepted a job with MQ. I will be working on Spheris accounts/platform. I have read many compliants about DQS, but have not found many comments regarding the Spheris platform.  Spheris workers...are you fairly satisfied with your earnings? Does the VR system do a pretty good job?  Do you think it is a mistake to have accepted this job? I hate to job hop and do not want to start a job if I don't stand a chance at earning a decent living. Also, does anybody know the ...

American Workers Have Changed--And Not For The Better
Nov 08, 2011

I've talked with several MTs recently who work for different companies. The companies have to send out reminders to the MTs that they are supposed to be at work at specific times. They also are having trouble with MTs just taking off without arranging for coverage of their accounts. The list goes on and on. What bothers me most though is the attitude of workers. Work was not easy years ago, but people did it with courage and integrity. You don't see much of that anymore.   &nbs ...

Has Anyone Ever Filed A Workers Comp
Apr 26, 2012

I was just looking through the Human Resources page and can't find anything about WC. Just curious if anyone has filed for it and any clue on who to talk to about it? TIA ...

Ever Filed A Workers Comp?
Aug 07, 2012

I have carpal tunnel. Is it possible to file a WC case at MModal for this? Who would I speak to in Human Resources.  Spent a bit of time looking at MQCentral (or whatever it's called) and got dizzy, but couldn't find an answer. TIA ...

Workers Comp Transcription
Sep 07, 2012

Does anyone do worker's compensation transcription?  Do you like it?  What are the main things you type?  Thanks. ...