A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

You know your job as an MT sucks when: - s/msg

Posted: Feb 08, 2014

- You work full-time, often more than 40 hours a week, and you still qualify for food stamps, special rates on your utilities, and partial unemployment because actual dictation you get each day is so sparse.

- Although you're one of the "lucky" ones who has some form of insurance, you still don't visit a doctor because you can't come up with the copayments.

- It's been years since you actually went inside a retail store and bought a new item.  You can no longer even imagine what that must be like.  You get everything you need from the secondhand stores and the free ads on Craigslist.

- You drive your car so little, in order to save on gas, that you have to go out and start it once a week, just to be sure the battery is still charged.

- Your transcription headset is older than most of your friends.

- Your neighbors don't know who you are, because you rarely poke your head outside the front door.  99% of your waking hours are spent at your computer.

- Your pay has dropped so low, that next year you probably won't have to pay any taxes at all.

- Your team leader treats you like you're an unemployable imbecile.

- Because of the above, you hope they'll just fire you and get it over with, but of course that will never happen.

- You have physically assaulted your computer, and killed it (pretending it was your company's CEO), even though you knew you'd have to go without life's basic necessities in order to buy another one, so you could keep on working.  Doesn't matter.  It felt good.

Nailed it - (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
xoxo

Funny - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
The one about the car battery was mine. I have taken my car in 3 times this past year for low batteries because they keep going out. The repair guys can't understand it. LOL. Thanks for the laugh, have to laugh or I'd cry.

My car is from the year - before MedQuist

[ In Reply To ..]
pillaged and burned my company. It barely goes now, windshield is cracked, needs brakes, and I sure can't afford another one.

I hear you - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't had a brake job in more than 5 years, had them checked last year. I just don't drive it that much. My mom bought me this car and it had 90K miles 6 years ago, only 92K now. I try to save on gas and upkeep, just holding on.

My car is 13 years old.. (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Hasn't had an oil change in 2 years, tires bald and driving through snow. Can't register as can't pass the safety inspection with bald tires. Next stop by a cop and it will be impounded because I can't afford the $38.00 tires. Poverty sucks.
Old cars - Do not worry
[ In Reply To ..]
My car is 19 years old, so don't feel bad. It still gets me where I need to go, and age actually doesn't mean that much if a car has been maintained. I know a lot of people who have put 200K miles on Subarus and Hondas. New vehicles cost more to insure, and there is a lot to be said for not having a car payment. Where can you find $38 tires? An oil change only costs 20 bucks, better yet, ask a friend to do it. I actually want to replace my car, but I'm torn. Public transportation is looking better and better. I wanted to put "Don't worry" as my nickname but received a syntax error. Geez, I'm not at work!
hate those - syntax errors!
[ In Reply To ..]
See some people with apostrophes in their subject/nickname line, but I get syntax error. I've tried foxfire, google chrome and IE, but still get it.
Old Cars - sufferinginsilence
[ In Reply To ..]
My car is 17 years old (a Honda) and so far it is still running with 152,000 miles on it, though the transmission is starting to go out. They are advertising on TV here "if you bring home $350/week we can put you in a new car". What is really pathetic is that if you do bring home $350/per week, you will be living and eating in your new car, because you can't afford rent or food!
Dh drives a 1991 miata, although my truck is a 2001--sm - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
When our financial situation changed we decided to sell our newer car and we bought the miata for $700 from my step dad. It has over $250,000 miles and is not a lot of fun on dirt roads. But, DH just drives 8 miles round trip to the bus stop where somebody else drives for the 1 hr 15 minute commute.

The AC is broke in our truck which is our family vehicle. We just try to not go out during the hottest part of the day in the summer. When we do go out, our shirts stick to us. It is definitely quite the adventure. We are not in poverty but we had the AC fixed once before and it broke again and we are not swimming in money, that's fur shur.

Charging the car battery slayed me--so true!! - ETOHPRN

[ In Reply To ..]
Boy did that hit close to home!
:-D Thanks for the giggles!

ABSOLUTELY TRUE - Victim

[ In Reply To ..]
Honey...you just wrote the best MT job description I have ever seen. You just described the life of every MT. I would like to add the following: You know your job as an MT sucks when:

You cringe going to the dollar store because you know you will blow a weeks pay and still not have all the stuff you really need.

You know your job sucks as an MT when - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
you only using propane for heating the first 15 minutes when you get up in the morning, to conserve it. You wear thermal underwear, a thick granny sweater, shearling boots, and wrap up in an electric throw to avoid using your heating fuel.

You no longer get luxuries like crowns, fillings, or root canals at the dentist. If your teeth are a problem, you get them pulled.

Your meals are determined not by what you'd like, but by what you could find at the scratch and dent store.

You can't afford Christmas or birthday presents for your grand-kids.

LOL - "scratch & dent store"... love it! ;D - OP

[ In Reply To ..]

You know your job sucks as an MT when... - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
One or more meals each day is Top Ramen.

Your doctor refuses to see you until you can afford to pay what Medicare didn't cover.

You go vegan because you can't afford meat.

You haven't filled up your gas tank in years as you can only afford the number of gallons you need to run errands until pay day.

You are stranded at home because you don't have .50 cents to put air in a flat tire until payday.

You turn the thermostat down to 40 at night, grateful the pets sleep with you.

Warm your fingers over the candle on your desk.

You get regular shut off notices from utilities.

Anyone visited a food bank yet?

You know your job sucks as an MT when - noneya

[ In Reply To ..]
Amen on the bald tires. I lost my house and had to move to tiny apartment. My car is 13 years old too. I can't wait to get a better paying job. Sometimes I even dream that 1 day I can afford the braces that my daughter needs to badly.

OMG, I've done the candle thing and I turn my heat down! - MT57

[ In Reply To ..]
I only eat meat 3 times a week. Hoard ramen noodles!

Top Ramen (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
I add a few mushrooms, frozen spinach and a little chicken or chicken burger to my beef Top Ramen. If you let it sit for 30 minutes the noodles absorb all the liquid and it fills you up faster. If I have an extra .78 cents I can add a few water chestnuts.
That is how you are supposed to eat them - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
Top Ramen - inside
[ In Reply To ..]
see link
I don't even wait to cook the noodles. I just stomp - on the package, tear it open, & nom-nom-nom!
[ In Reply To ..]
kinda how my son does it. Puts the block of noodles on a plate - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
sprinkles the seasoning on top and eats it
Ramen - Heidi
[ In Reply To ..]
It's difficult to eat them long, so I break them into small pieces while they're still in the closed package. I like it spicy, so I'll put in some salt-free Mrs. Dash or steak sauce.

To make a meal, I'll cut up a hot dog or pieces of chicken & some veggies like peas and/or carrots. (My puppy likes it too when I leave out the spices).

Yep. They know me quite well. I have to ask - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
for assistance all the time. They treat me like dirt (sometimes and only some places).

Those people ought to be ashamed of themselves for their - nasty and uncharitable attitude. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Isn't there a quote of "judge not lest ye be judged?"

And in this day and age, those snotty faced witches who treat people rudely may just find themselves in the position tomorrow of being the ones needing to ask for help.

I've been to a food bank once in my life, about 2 months ago and was treated with nothing but courtesy from the moment I walked in the door until I left with food.

Why are those people even working or helping in a charitable position if they're going to be rude to those who need the charity.

Personally, I'd say just that to someone if they were rude to me, and then I'd report them to the director of the program.

When you juggle utility payments according to who--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
has the biggest late payment penalty or the least strict shut off or who you can give partial payments to.

My water company charges $10 for a late payment so I am rarely late to them, but gas and electric charge just a few dollars and phone rarely charges. Phone takes partial payments.

I thought it's illegal to shut off your power during winter... - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that Oct 1 to Apr 1 it is illegal to shut off your power (heat) so you don't freeze to death. Or is that only over 65 and under 18 in the household? I don't fall in either category but luckily I'm on the budget plan and am able to make my payments each month. I know April 1 my payments will go up to help pay for some of the deadbeats who didn't pay anything on their bill all winter because "they can't shut off my heat cuz I got kids so I just won't pay it" (I actually had a friend who does this)

No offense to anyone who can't pay their bill, but I shouldn't have to make up the difference. Can't pay your bill is different than just Won't pay it.

Around here, that is not automatic--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I really would not want to get to that point anyway, because if it is shut off, there are all kinds of reconnect fees which would set one further back. Sometimes I just need to float things based on their due date but we have never not paid (thankfully). If it ever got to that point, I would honestly not pay the credit cards, I figure the heirarchy is mortgage, food, utilities, transportation, etc...
That's too bad that's not available in your area... - s/m
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in WI and that's what I know of the utility "law" around here. Maybe because we have 5 months of winter and it can get waaaay below zero, so maybe it just depends on the region. I'm glad you are able to (just barely?) make it each month. I agree with your hierarchy of who gets paid first, I'm the same way. I need shelter, heat, water, food first. Everything else can wait. Good luck to you.

AMEN...so true...thanks for the laugh even if it's the sad truth - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

DQS Spellchecker SUCKS Nm
May 01, 2010

. ...

Am I The Only One Who Thinks DQS 6.1 Sucks?
Sep 04, 2010

On paper, some of the changes sounded good, like the auto numbering.  But in practice it seems like all this new version does is cause DQS to run much more slowing, constantly locking up, auto-saving (and slowing down) too often, amongst other irritating little things.  Why can't their upgrades ever actually be an UPgrade.  I think they need to start calling them DQS downgrades.  And what I hate the most is in the ADT screen where you used to be able to just hit enter, ...

Mentoring - This Sucks!
Apr 24, 2012

I guess we are all going to get mentored at one point or another as I just received an email to set me up for it.  I make over the lph and get all my required hours in each week so I don't see why I am being mentored at all.  Like I said, I guess we have no choice and will all be mentored sooner or later. This sucks! ...

Nuance Sucks
Jun 25, 2012

Who agrees with me?  Can't wait to get the hell out of there, very soon I hope!  They have their job postings on MTjobs.com because it's a revolving door there, not because of new accounts.  ...

WORK SUCKS
Apr 22, 2013

Let all the part-timers work over the weekend because there is a lot of work, so they dont get paid overtime and then on Monday morning the full-timers have no work. The bean counters got it down to a science! ...

ASR Just Sucks And Getting Worse. Not One
Jul 16, 2013

ASR:   This is because of the patient recently had a TSH of 270 metabolic stress he has had assistant cold for the past 3 years. CORRECTED:  The patient is a 6-month-old female who is here today with her mother and brother. The patient has had a persistent cough for the past 2 months.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME??  I probably got 6 words that was correct in the whole fricken report.  I am counting down the days until I am outta of transcription for good.  Dict ...

This Place Sucks.
Aug 07, 2013

The global MTSOs have ruined everything good about becoming an MT. 1.  Flexible hours (our time, not theirs)- gone 2.  Good pay/livable wage - gone 3.  Unlimited income (lots of work, anytime) - gone 4.  Self esteem - gone Remember the good ol' days?   These metrics and the micro managing are for the birds. Give me a break.   ...

Well That Just Plain Sucks
May 23, 2014

The Eye for Quality poll for today...you choose the person who has the best "eye for quality" and they get an ADDITIONAL $100 gift card.  um no thank you they can all kiss my butt.  Why not give the rest of us a shot at a gift card instead of someone else who has been recognized monetarily???????????? i'm not voting and neither should you.  ...

So, My Paycheck Sucks
Apr 03, 2015

NM ...

Ascend Heatlhcare Sucks!
Oct 14, 2009

Beware anyone thinking about working for Ascend!  They are extremely unorganized and chaotic.  I don't know why they make you submit invoices - which are very time consuming to prepare - when they will just pay you something different or not at all.  They shorted my first paycheck by 1/3.  When I was finally able to get in touch with someone, they did send me the adjustment.... but I have not received my last paycheck at all!!!  I have tried to contact them several ...

New Teamwork Program Sucks. Why Can't Ever Just
May 18, 2011

just leave bad enough alone?  And I thought we were supposed to be able to make timecard corrections ourselves.  I see no place to do that.  I don't even see a place like before where we would ask the CCM to do it.  So now I have a stamp on there I accidently made and can't remove it.  Thanks again MQ.  ...

My Concentration Sucks...tips?
Jul 12, 2011

I have a great job working at home editing. I love it. I've been in transcription 12 years but lately have the worst concentration ever. I find myself getting distracted by the Internet..Facebook, Google, Yahoo, CNN. You name it I'm there in between reports. I know I'm not giving it 100% at work and wish I could concentrate!! FWIW I can't sleep either. Total insomniac. I'm not very productive because of this distractibility and it concerns me a lot. Does anyone have tips ...

You're The Reason My Income Sucks.
Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them. Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hac ...

Sound Quality Sucks Again
Jul 01, 2014

Back in the 80s and 90s, we had to put up with fuzzy tapes, but I would have thought that by 2014 this would no longer be an issure.   I'm so tired of struggling to hear voices that sound like they're speaking through a long tube or under water. ...

Depressed, Frustrated, MT Sucks!
Jan 29, 2015

So, remember the days way back when we got paid well, were appreciated and could be happy to be MT? Wow I miss that! I hate MTSOs. They all act like we only have work to worry about, they trash you, but never say any good you do. One trainer or QC person grades your work as 99%-100%, another picks apart every comma, period, etc. calling things "critical errors", that honestly aren't! You ask to advance in your position, but no "you're not ready" (after 15 years and previously being a ...

So It Appears Medquist Sucks Up Spheris?
Apr 15, 2010

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2010/04/it-looks-like-we-have-winner-medquist.html ...

For His Intubation, He Was Given Sucks, Fentanyl, And Etomidate. Sm
May 15, 2012

I know sucks is a verbal short-cut for something, but what?   ...

The Audio Quality Of This Call Sucks
Oct 15, 2012

xx ...

Hey SOFTSCRIPT! ZIMBRA EMAIL SUCKS!!
Oct 16, 2012

Takes forever to load!  Slow as _____. Cannot customize toolbar! Toolbar takes up 1/2 the screen!  Bad choice!! ZIMBRA SUCKS! ...

Nuance Sucks! I Just Quit. No Notice.
Dec 11, 2012

nm ...

Cerner Platform Is Clunky And It Sucks!
Feb 27, 2014

I always thought Cerner was a high-tech big deal.  After working on their platform, I think it's crap.  You'd think as much money as a huge company like that has and makes, that they could come up with something better. I don't have experience on a ton of platforms, but I do have experience on Bayscribe, ExText and ExEditor.  All of them are way better than Cerner; more tailored toward the transcriptionist.Like in ExEditor, you finish one report and when you se ...

Chronicle Moves To ASR And The Line Rate Sucks...nm
Mar 12, 2010

xx ...

Pretty Sad When Your Kid In College Can Take 5 Minutes And Tell Me Why This Company Sucks
Mar 04, 2012

I tell him a little of what goes on here...and he says if they idiot factored in the cost of doing this, this and this instead of keeping people without work and bitching, the company would make far more money...Not gonna give his tips away, if they want them they can hire him, not that he would work for a company that is run so poorly.. ...

Opinions Please--Nuance Ins Ded Sucks 2500; But I Need Comp Equ Supplied--sm
Nov 20, 2013

I'm considering going back to MModal, which I hated but their deductible is only $500.   ...

First Time Right Sucks When There Are No Reports To Look Up On "NEW" Accounts
Oct 05, 2010

:( ...