A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Income Simple Survey - workaholic

Posted: Mar 24, 2010

After losing an employee status job due to healthcare reform anticipated cuts, I am considering going back to IC status.  Just to keep things super simple, as a baseline would appreciate hearing what ICs are making yearly who work a 40 hour a week. 

25,000 if you are lucky! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

53K in 2009 - but way more than 40 hours a week

[ In Reply To ..]
Paid $8000 in taxes and $525 per month for health insurance.

I have a question (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You say you lost an employee status job due to anticipated cuts from healthcare reform? I don't understand, because it seems to me that a lot more people are going to be able to avail themselves of health care because of reform, and thus there will be more reports to transcribe? Plus, even if that were not the case, it's going to take time to start seeing any changes from reform. Sounds to me like your employer was just looking for an easy excuse to get rid of employee status people with benefits.

Lost job - workaholic

[ In Reply To ..]
As I understand it, the specialty practices, such as cardiology, are anticipating 30% plus cuts in reimbursement from their Medicare patients with this new legislation. This will also trickle down to cuts in reimbursement from private insurance since some base their usual and customary fees on Medicare rates. As such, they are closing a few offices and cutting expenses wherever they can. As for the people who are going to be able to avail themselves to healthcare, good luck on that. I don't see the older doctors hanging around waiting to be told by the government how much money they can make. A lot of the guys in their 50s who can are saying they are going to retire rather than deal with it. I guess time will tell.

Thanks for the clarification (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry to hear you lost your job because of this. I lost my job a few years ago to India. I know how awful it feels. I hope you find something very, very soon!

true, changes come into effect only 2014 - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Interestingly, - workaholic

[ In Reply To ..]
even though the changes happen in 2014, taxes for implementing a lot of this start within the next few months.

the more people availing themselves of health care - the more patients docs will have to see

[ In Reply To ..]
... and the less time they will spend on documentation. They will dictate less and point-and-click more.

Healthcare reform will most definitely put an even tighter squeeze on the MT.

Similar Messages:

Help Pls, Should Be Simple!
Jul 31, 2012

s/l doc is saying sub bladder? I just never heard this term.  I know there is "suburethral" just never heard "subbladder".  The entire sentense is... Cystoscope was then reintroduced, entire urethra was then examined, as was the posterior "subbladder" neck and bladder.   Thank you in advance. ...

TAA--not So Simple
Nov 12, 2013

My hospital outsourced the entire MT dept to MM. Applied for TAA. Looks like MM supplied the investigator with information that says American MT's are doing the work and not offshore...sooo, we may not get TAA. Also, I've read about lay-offs on this site but yet they advertise in the state where I live and surroundings states. I'm in the NW. How can they get away with lay-offs and then have job ads? ...

Word Help Please-probably Something Simple
May 15, 2010

but I can't figure it out.  This is an UC report for an 11-yo with a sore throat.  NECK: Supple with enlarged s/l "heneroadenopathy" bilaterally. ...

A Few Simple Questions
Oct 18, 2010

Should "living will" be capitalized or not????  Is it eardrops or ear drops and eyedrops or eye drops??? ...

Simple Question Plz :)
Mar 18, 2011

What voice recognition platform does Medquist use?  Thanks in advance. ...

Simple Question
May 18, 2011

When a doctor dictates something like "times several days", how do you type it?   I type it just as I wrote it in my question, but I was just wondering if there is a better way.  ...

Simple SH Question.
Sep 14, 2013

Can I turn Shorthand off on my browser?  I currently use Firefox. ...

Income For An MT
Feb 09, 2013

I started out 18 years ago at a very small hospital working as a full-time, in-house employee with benefits and worked with some horrific dictators, but that gave me an excellent start in this field.  I then started working for large MTSOs as a full-time remote employee with benefits, which I did for years, and did very well.  I raised my kids VERY WELL as a single parent doing that.  I was able to work around my family without any problems, i.e. got them up, fed, and off to schoo ...

I Have A Very Simple Question For MQers
Mar 08, 2010

Let us say it's April 1st. You're not going anywhere. You're planning on working and you report as scheduled throughout the pay period. How many of you can predict, let's say within 5%, what you'll make during the pay period with everything taken into consideration? ...

MPWord And Simple Dictation
Mar 20, 2013

Just signed up for SimpleDictation. Has anyone used the software before. It used to be called MedPen/MPWord?  ...

Simple Transcription System
May 19, 2013

I am with a small office and we stilll use tapes.  Anyone have recommendations of a simple, economical digital transcription system that works good for you.   Thanks! ...

My Income Has Hit An All-time Low. :(
Dec 13, 2012

Last Friday my paycheck for 2 weeks' work was less than $300.  How am I supposed to live on this?!  My company raised our min. line count rate, and not long ago lowered our cpl pay for VR, which is all we ever get anymore. We also have a higher min. daily required rate. Yet of course, work is getting sparse, especially at this time of year. So I sit and wait, occasionally hitting the download button, and occasionally actually getting a short, almost worthless job spat out at ...

Need Supplemental Income
Apr 15, 2013

Anyone know of a good small company that I can work just for supplental income?  I don't need a lot, just something to help out.  I prefer a small company without all of the bells and whistles that come with the larger ones.  TIA ...

2013 Income
Jan 02, 2014

So how did everyone do this year working as an MT? I earned about $36,000. Wished it was more :( ...

What To Charge For Simple Interview Transcription?
Nov 14, 2011

I hope this is the right board to ask this quick question!  If not, please re-direct me. A friend of mine has a genealogy business, and does Q & A sessions with people (usually elderly, but some not) about their lives, their family history.  She will be needing these interviews transcribed (simple format).  Each interview is about 5 minutes of dictation time, and they're digital files that she will e-mail to me, and I'll e-mail them back.  No printing invo ...

Am Considering A Position With M*Modal. Have A Simple Question
Oct 11, 2012

Actually, I guess I have 2 questions.  What is the production minimum for editing?  What is your average production in lines per hour with editing?   I know the latter question carries a lot of variables, and I will take those into consideration.  But I would like to know how you all actually do production wise.  Please, no inflations just honest answers concerning your average.  A simple 250 or 325 or whatever would suffice.  If you can elaborate further or ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

MQ Makes A Net Income Of 9.7 Million.
Feb 01, 2010

http://www.officialwire.com/main.php?action=posted_news&rid=58609   That money is OUR money for what MQ did to all of us and probably most of the money MQ took was from ASR!!!  I see MQ hired ANOTHER VP for global service?  I wonder how much this person makes?  Along with bonuses?  So, that makes what. . .,  30 some VP's who work for MQ?   ...

What Do You Consider A Good Income For MT/editing, Not Cpl But $$
Aug 09, 2012

I do not mean a per line rate, as that will equate to different incomes for different MTs. What do you consider a reasonable annual income for a combination of MT/editing; $25,000, $30,000, $40,000, or more?  My income was $47,000 in the past, and will probably drop to $37,000 this year.  I don't like it, but I do not have a degree, jobs are not plentiful, and I am thinking that in my rural town, I will not do any better, especially considering clothes and gas, etc.  I stil ...

Do Offshore Workers Pay US Income Tax?
Nov 20, 2012

How does that work....taking US opportunity and making profit from it, do they share in the TAXX burden? ...

You're The Reason My Income Sucks.
Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them. Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hac ...

If In A Leave Of Absence There Is Any Income At All?
Jun 15, 2014

Does anyone know if in a leave of absence there is any income at all?  My 27-year-old son may have cancer.  I'm needless to say devastated and need to be of help to him and his family. ...

1099 Misc Income Question
Feb 09, 2011

What do you do if the 1099 you received from a former client doesn't equal the payments received from them.  It says they paid me more than I received or show deposits.  The office manager will not return calls or e-mails?  She even stiffed me on my last invoice.   ...

Suggestion To Aid With Income-related Discussions.
Aug 10, 2012

I've noticed that we need some sort of standard reference or metric to use when we talk about income-related issues, and this metric should not merely reference dollars (or cents), but should relate this to <i>a unit of time</i>.  At the end of the day, it's how much you earned per unit of time that really matters, and this the only sort of metric that takes into account all of the variables that a mere monetary reference such as "line rate" does not. The line rate pa ...

Need Simple Word 2010 Macro For Copy/Paste
Feb 14, 2014

I've been using Instant Text for years but realized that there are probably quite a few macros I could create in Word 2010 to make certain repetitive commands a lot easier for me.  I know the basics of creating a macro in Word but cannot for the life of me figure out how to create a macro to do this: I want to copy text,(i.e. from a Preoperative Diagnosis) and have it pasted into the next line after the heading Postoperative Diagnosis when the dictator says "same." I tried recording ...

Would Anyone Share What Their Income Is With Me?...wanting To See I Am On Track Of Need To Strive Fo
Jul 20, 2010

Of course this is personal but since we can be anonymous on her, would anyone share what they are making in terms of weekly, hourly, monthly or yearly with me?  I would like to compare with where I am and determine if I am at a good average or way below and need to be doing more.  I would also love it if you could share production lines per hour or day etc.  ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...

Desperately Seeking Morning PT Radiology Work To Supplement Income
Jan 13, 2012

It seems impossible to find morning work in radiology to supplement my full-time income!  I love my full-time job at Transcend, but I am really needing to find a PT gig to supplement my income.  I current work second shift, but with the economy these days, like so many others out there, I could really use the extra income.  I would appreciate any input about any companies, whether it be IC or employee status, that offers morning work in radiology.  I scour the ads daily ...

Simple Question Regarding "exciting" Changes To Wage Theft/pay Plan.
Feb 28, 2015

Are the latest "exciting" changes meant to help or hinder us, the MTs? ...

Ortho Word "simple (something) Suppressor"
Feb 11, 2010

Patient has erythema and edema of right foot.  Doctor says he is going to try "simple (something) suppressor with anti-inflammatories".  The something s/l "allo meta thotic" but is garbled/slurred and all I can really be sure of is "thotic" at the end. ...