A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

1099 Misc Income Question - Packer Backer

Posted: Feb 09, 2011

What do you do if the 1099 you received from a former client doesn't equal the payments received from them.  It says they paid me more than I received or show deposits.  The office manager will not return calls or e-mails?  She even stiffed me on my last invoice.  

Not sure, I had a (former) MTSO do that to me by - sm -

[ In Reply To ..]
several thousand dollars a few years ago . I sent in what I actually made to the IRS, after they said they would reissue me a new one which of course they never did. I ended up getting audited because of it and had to pay taxes on money I never made. Can you say pissed? MTSO ignored every email or call I made about it and royally screwed me out of about $1k in taxes and penalties. Needless to say not to happy with them.

Claim your numbers - xmtso

[ In Reply To ..]
Make sure you have proof of your numbers. If and when the IRS catches up to it, you can let them know that you made efforts to contact her to get a corrected 1099.

try this - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
From the Tax Guru website:

"First, you should contact the business that issued the 1099-MISC and ask them to send you a corrected 1099-MISC.

Keep documentation of these communications!

If you are unsuccessful getting a satisfactory answer to the discrepancy or getting them to agree to send you a corrected 1099-MISC, you will need to call the IRS at (800) 829-1040. Itâs best to do so early in the morning, since youâll have a better chance of getting through.

Explain that you received the 1099 and disagree with the amount that was reported on it, and that youâve tried to resolve the situation with the business, but have been unable to.
Ask the IRS complete a Form 4598, âForm W-2 or 1099 Not Received or Incorrect.â (You have to request it via this phone number and IRS must complete the form -- Itâs not something you can just download from their website.)

Youâll need to give the IRS the payer information from the 1099 you received and the details of how you arrived at your own valuation figures. The IRS will send the complaint form to the business, who has 10 days to respond (you should receive a copy as well)."

Thank you - Packer Backer

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you very much for your help. I will call in the morning. Wish me luck!

excellent info! you rock. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

a couple of thoughts - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
I have heard of MTSOs issuing 1099s for amounts larger than the amount paid as a way to scam the IRS. They get to claim a larger expense than they incurred. I don't know what the situation is with your MTSO, but if you are not getting a response you may want to begin a documentation trail.

You could send a certified letter to the business with a letter outlining your invoices, payments received and dates, any outstanding balances, etc. Ask for a corrected 1099. At the bottom, add
"cc: Internal Revenue Service
copy of 1099 issued by EIN xxxxxx today's date"

Were you paid by direct deposit or by check? If by DD, then it is easy because you have bank statements to match up to your invoices. If by check, was there a check stub that showed a YTD total? That would help your situation. Certainly claim any unpaid invoices as a loss on your 1040.

If no response within 30 days, I would file with the amount you can prove and submit a copy of what you sent by certified mail (and hopefully a copy of the returned envelope if it was refused).

In addition, keep an eye on your future Social Security Earnings Statement. My past experience is that when I claimed X amount on my return, SS posted X amount from the totals of my 1099s/W2s.

Best of luck to you.

any reaon other than simple mistake, one would come way LESS than what you made? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Question About 1099-MISC
Apr 10, 2012

I need to know if MTs filing as ICs can claim dependents for the child tax credit and what, if any, forms I need in addition to the 1099-MISC form they sent me.  One person is telling me that ICs can get the child tax credit, another is telling me that they can't, and there is nowhere on the forms that I have to put anything down for dependents.  I have tried calling the IRS, but was put on hold and couldn't wait long because it wasn't my phone and I have sent two emails ...

Psych And Misc Clinics
Jan 03, 2013

Has anyone applied for these positions and heard anything from the company yet?  ...

1099 From DSG
Jan 28, 2011

Well I still havent gotten my 1099 from DSG.  I left there in March so I have no clue whom to contact if I dont get it. ...

1099 From TTD?
Feb 18, 2011

Has anyone gotten their 1099 yet from The Transcription Doctors? ...

Feb 26, 2013

I have contacted the transcription company that worked for in 2012 regarding my 1099 and they still have not sent it.  What should I do? ...

IC Tax - Have To Send Out 1099?
Jan 28, 2010

Was considering working for a company that says they hire IC.  Can anyone tell me, if an MTSO is hiring ICs, to they have to send out 1099s to all their ICs at the end of the year, or is it up to the IC to keep track of?  ...

IC- 1099 Posts
Jan 28, 2011

I'm curious about all the posts regarding getting your 1099 if you're an IC. As an IC, a business person, you should already know what you've billed to clients (services).  You don't need to wait for a 1099 to file your income taxes if you've kept good records and already know what you billed out and what you received. I'm flabbergasted at how many of you are so clueless with how to BE an IC. ...

Landmark (PA) And 1099's
Jan 31, 2011

Any ICs from Landmark (PA) get their 1099 in the mail yet?  Still waiting for mine.  ...

Still Have Not Received W2 And 1099
Jan 30, 2015

I have still not received my 1099 from Accentus (before we were all transitioned to employee by Nuance) or my W2 from Nuance.  Tomorrow is the deadline, so maybe they will be in the mailbox then, but was wondering if anyone else has had experienced this.  I no longer work for Nuance, so I hope their disorganization tendency has not messed up my employment records.   Thanks! ...

ImedX--No 1099 Tax As An IC
Feb 09, 2015

I still have not received my 1099 form for my taxes and I sent an Email to ImedX.  Still no word.  Has anyone had this issue?  I worked for them for 4-1/2 months as an IC.  I am about to call the address located in Atlanta to track it down.  I have evidence that I worked for them from bank deposits.  This is rediculous.  Would anyone have a number that I could contacrt? ...

IMedX IC's 1099
Feb 19, 2015

Anyone else receive 2 1099's from iMedX? The first one I received was in January, the amount seemed much less than I was expecting, but i was under the gun and needed to get my taxes filed so that's what I used.  Yesterday I received another 1099 from iMedX with a Connecticut address with a way higher amount on it.  What the heck am I supposed to do with this? ...

Income For An MT
Feb 09, 2013

I started out 18 years ago at a very small hospital working as a full-time, in-house employee with benefits and worked with some horrific dictators, but that gave me an excellent start in this field.  I then started working for large MTSOs as a full-time remote employee with benefits, which I did for years, and did very well.  I raised my kids VERY WELL as a single parent doing that.  I was able to work around my family without any problems, i.e. got them up, fed, and off to schoo ...

Imedx 1099 Form
Jan 31, 2015

I worked for Imedx for 5-6 months last year as an IC.  I still have not received my 1099.  I have proof that I worked for them because of my bank statements.  Has anyone else not received their 1099?  I am going to call their corporate office Monday. ...

My Income Has Hit An All-time Low. :(
Dec 13, 2012

Last Friday my paycheck for 2 weeks' work was less than $300.  How am I supposed to live on this?!  My company raised our min. line count rate, and not long ago lowered our cpl pay for VR, which is all we ever get anymore. We also have a higher min. daily required rate. Yet of course, work is getting sparse, especially at this time of year. So I sit and wait, occasionally hitting the download button, and occasionally actually getting a short, almost worthless job spat out at ...

Need Supplemental Income
Apr 15, 2013

Anyone know of a good small company that I can work just for supplental income?  I don't need a lot, just something to help out.  I prefer a small company without all of the bells and whistles that come with the larger ones.  TIA ...

2013 Income
Jan 02, 2014

So how did everyone do this year working as an MT? I earned about $36,000. Wished it was more :( ...

Business Owners-1099 Or W2 Employees?
Apr 08, 2010

If you own your own business, do you 1099 your transcriptionists or do you W2 them? Starting a business up and not sure which way to go?     ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

MQ Makes A Net Income Of 9.7 Million.
Feb 01, 2010

http://www.officialwire.com/main.php?action=posted_news&rid=58609   That money is OUR money for what MQ did to all of us and probably most of the money MQ took was from ASR!!!  I see MQ hired ANOTHER VP for global service?  I wonder how much this person makes?  Along with bonuses?  So, that makes what. . .,  30 some VP's who work for MQ?   ...

Income Simple Survey
Mar 24, 2010

After losing an employee status job due to healthcare reform anticipated cuts, I am considering going back to IC status.  Just to keep things super simple, as a baseline would appreciate hearing what ICs are making yearly who work a 40 hour a week.  ...

What Do You Consider A Good Income For MT/editing, Not Cpl But $$
Aug 09, 2012

I do not mean a per line rate, as that will equate to different incomes for different MTs. What do you consider a reasonable annual income for a combination of MT/editing; $25,000, $30,000, $40,000, or more?  My income was $47,000 in the past, and will probably drop to $37,000 this year.  I don't like it, but I do not have a degree, jobs are not plentiful, and I am thinking that in my rural town, I will not do any better, especially considering clothes and gas, etc.  I stil ...

Do Offshore Workers Pay US Income Tax?
Nov 20, 2012

How does that work....taking US opportunity and making profit from it, do they share in the TAXX burden? ...

You're The Reason My Income Sucks.
Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them. Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hac ...

If In A Leave Of Absence There Is Any Income At All?
Jun 15, 2014

Does anyone know if in a leave of absence there is any income at all?  My 27-year-old son may have cancer.  I'm needless to say devastated and need to be of help to him and his family. ...

Doesn't Company Hiring IC Need SS And 1099 Filled Out?
Sep 26, 2012

Hi, I am new to the independent contractor thing, but shouldn't a company that has "hired" you as an independent contrator have your SS and a 1099 filled out by you?   Just wondering as it seems to me this is necessary and since it is not being done, it makes me wonder about this company that much more, espcially since others have stated they have not been paid by this company.   I guess if they are not planning on paying me they don't need a 1099 or SS# huh?  ...

TTD Contact Information For Those Who Never Got Paid Or Never Received Their 1099
Feb 10, 2013

Here are some of AK's many business pages on facebook. Try contacting her through these pages...want to know where your pay check is from TTD? Here it is....she stole our money and used it to fund these businesses: Amy's personal FB: https://www.facebook.com/amy.knightkelley Kelley's K9s: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kelleys-K9s/241410562544454?fref=ts Fitness by Amy: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Prime-Fitness-by-Amy-Kelley/368875573190117 Amy Kelley Photography: https:// ...

Suggestion To Aid With Income-related Discussions.
Aug 10, 2012

I've noticed that we need some sort of standard reference or metric to use when we talk about income-related issues, and this metric should not merely reference dollars (or cents), but should relate this to <i>a unit of time</i>.  At the end of the day, it's how much you earned per unit of time that really matters, and this the only sort of metric that takes into account all of the variables that a mere monetary reference such as "line rate" does not. The line rate pa ...

Would Anyone Share What Their Income Is With Me?...wanting To See I Am On Track Of Need To Strive Fo
Jul 20, 2010

Of course this is personal but since we can be anonymous on her, would anyone share what they are making in terms of weekly, hourly, monthly or yearly with me?  I would like to compare with where I am and determine if I am at a good average or way below and need to be doing more.  I would also love it if you could share production lines per hour or day etc.  ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...

Desperately Seeking Morning PT Radiology Work To Supplement Income
Jan 13, 2012

It seems impossible to find morning work in radiology to supplement my full-time income!  I love my full-time job at Transcend, but I am really needing to find a PT gig to supplement my income.  I current work second shift, but with the economy these days, like so many others out there, I could really use the extra income.  I would appreciate any input about any companies, whether it be IC or employee status, that offers morning work in radiology.  I scour the ads daily ...