A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Income taxes/statutory employee question - Confused

Posted: Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean?

How is it legal to be told we are straight employees and must abide by all employee rules, yet still have zero federal withholding and now have to pay the federal tax at year's end, which I assume is considered self-employment tax, same as it was as a statutory employee/independent contractor? Am I missing something?

You noticed...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
that there was no federal or state taxes being withheld on your paystubs each pay day for an entire year. Why didn't you contact payroll and get this straightened out right away last January?

It was the same the year prior and I did inquire, more than once. - Confused

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told then we were straight employees, no more statutory employees, yet nothing changed (from a tax perspective - a LOT changed from a work perspective). State taxes were withheld, along with SS and Medicare, same as when I was a statutory employee. My W2 goes to the IRS and they can clearly see no fed tax has been withheld. I just don't understand how it's legal and why no questions are asked about this.

Another MT friend who worked for an entirely different MT company and made several thousands in 2013 had all of $50 in federal taxes withheld, as an employee, and she has no idea how that can be right either.

Unfortunately, since you knew this was - going to impact your

[ In Reply To ..]
end of year tax status, you really should have pushed harder to have it rectified since you knowingly admit no taxes were being deducted. As far as your friend, it may depend on how many dependents she claimed, she should check the records and see what she claimed.
I ended up with a substantial refund (filing jointly), so it was fine. I just didn't know - Confused
[ In Reply To ..]
an employer could insist someone was an employee and adamantly declare no more statutory employees, but then continue to treat them as an SE for tax purposes and not withhold fed taxes, yet not check the box for statutory employee.

I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of taxes at all, it just seems the IRS would red flag that.

From the company perspective, there was apparently nothing to rectify and it was intended that they withheld no federal taxes. It just doesn't fit with their insistence that we were regular employees.

Also, "pushing harder" on anything with HR, at least for me, was basically impossible. I tried to contact them repeatedly about my 401K as well as the SE status, and I got a reply ONCE regarding the SE status. All the rest were completely ignored, and yes I brought it to my team lead's attention as well, who simply referred me back to the person who was unresponsive.

I personally am finally free of them now and couldn't be happier to have parted ways. Thank you for your responses. I appreciate the input.

It is legal because it does not change how much you owe--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Whether it is withheld or not, the amount you owe the IRS should come out the same. For a cushion, it could be worth it to elect to have some extra withheld each paycheck. We never have enough withheld automatically for state taxes so Dh has an extra $25 taken out of each paycheck and I have an extra $10 each pay check. We get some of this back which I prefer to finding out I owe money at the end of the year.

Similar Messages:

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

Do Any Companies Offer Statutory Employment Anymore? Take Out My Taxes And FICA, Sm
Oct 09, 2013

no other benefits, let me determine how many lines I will do and what days, and leave me the heck alone? I miss MDI-MD. :( ...

Statutory Employee ?
Feb 11, 2010

Just exactly what does statutory employee status mean?  I was recently changed from independent contractor to this?  Never was that before, I don't quite understand it.  Please help.  Thanks in advance. ...

IC Versus Statutory Employee
May 01, 2013

Can someone please explain the difference between an IC and a statutory employee, I have looked it up and am not clear.  I understand that statutory employees get social security taken out, when ICs get nothing taken out, but what are the other differences? Thanks. ...

Does Anyone Work As A Statutory Employee Anymore?
Mar 12, 2011

I have been working as an IC for a while, but used to work as a SE where some taxes were taken out of my check and matched.  The self-employment taxes are killing me! My federal income tax is minimal (have great deductions/credits while my kid is still little, but that isn't going to last forever). Has statutory employee gone the way of the dinosaur in MT?  It seems that I don't see any ads listing SE as an option.  I'm not looking to change MTSOs or get names of s ...

Confused About Difference Between Statutory Employee And IC Status.
Jan 22, 2010

I keep trying to find something definitive that spells out the differences between the two, but it all seems so vague or, at least, different companies seem to treat each differently. Specifically, since my company recently converted everyone over to statutory status, can they require the employees to set and maintain a strict schedule as they had when they were full-time regular employees, or should/do the statutory employees have more leeway in that regard, more along the lines of an IC? ...

Filing Taxes As IC And As Employee
Feb 21, 2013

I work 20 hours a week as an IC for a national MTSO, paying my own taxes.  I also work 40 hours a week as an employee with benefits at a university.  Which federal form(s) should I use to file my own taxes?  I would use a 1040 for the full time employee job if that was my only job.  But since I also work half time as a contractor, do I need a different form?  Two separate forms?  Thanks so much for any help you can offer.  ...

? ABOUT PAYING TAXES AS AN IC VS. AN MTSO EMPLOYEE.
Jul 29, 2011

I am trying to decide whether to work as an MTSO employee or an IC. If I choose IC, what percentage of self-employment, FICA, Social Security, and Medicare taxes will I be paying on (on the average) on my gross monthly income? I know that ICs make more cpl, but will the taxes I pay be more and, therefore, not worth it? Your input would be greatly appreciated!   ...

What Is A "statutory" Employee?
Aug 28, 2010

? ...

Anyone Ever Pay Monthly Taxes For Taxes Owed
May 12, 2014

I owed a bit of money for last years taxes, which I do not have so am making monthly payments.  I sent in the form to request to pay monthly, but have not heard anything back.  Has anyone done this and is this unusual (that I have not heard back anything)?  I was reading all these websites and they were saying just keep mailing in what you can each month until it's paid off and then you might owe penalties, which I understand.  It stinks, but right now I have more bills ...

Statutory Employees
Mar 25, 2010

Could someone explain exactly what a company can require of an SE? Can companies force MTs to adhere to a schedule if all MTs are statutory employees? All the research I have done on this subject is vague, but it appears that SE and IC are almost the same with the exception of Social Security and Medicare being withheld and the employer's portion being paid for an SE. ...

DSG. Statutory Employees
May 25, 2010

I'm considering applying with DSG for a statutory positon. Does anyone know what they're like to work for? I'm wondering about rate of pay, availability of work, percentage of ESL, etc. Thanks. ...

Statutory Vs IC Question
May 02, 2013

Does a statutory employee receive a 1099 and able to claim independent contractor status at tax time?  I've googled around and can't seem to find a definitive answer.  If you can help answer this for me, thanks so much! ...

Statutory Status
Sep 17, 2013

Is anyone a statutory employee with Nuance?  I was under the impression that I was an employee.  I was sure we were told there would be no SE status available.  However, I recently noticed on my pay stub that it says statutory.  Does this benefit me or is it going to bite me?  I have not paid self-employment tax for quite some time.  I was told I was an employee, so I assumed all employment taxes were being paid. ...

Transcend Statutory Status
Feb 22, 2010

Is everybody at Transcend statutory employees?  I signed up for full time but my pay stub says statutory.  ...

Income For An MT
Feb 09, 2013

I started out 18 years ago at a very small hospital working as a full-time, in-house employee with benefits and worked with some horrific dictators, but that gave me an excellent start in this field.  I then started working for large MTSOs as a full-time remote employee with benefits, which I did for years, and did very well.  I raised my kids VERY WELL as a single parent doing that.  I was able to work around my family without any problems, i.e. got them up, fed, and off to schoo ...

MM Now Hiring Part Time Statutory Mon Thru Fri MTs?
Feb 27, 2013

Wow...  ad on another site says part-time mon-fri shifts available 30 hours....  I wonder why they are hiring statutory now?  ...

My Income Has Hit An All-time Low. :(
Dec 13, 2012

Last Friday my paycheck for 2 weeks' work was less than $300.  How am I supposed to live on this?!  My company raised our min. line count rate, and not long ago lowered our cpl pay for VR, which is all we ever get anymore. We also have a higher min. daily required rate. Yet of course, work is getting sparse, especially at this time of year. So I sit and wait, occasionally hitting the download button, and occasionally actually getting a short, almost worthless job spat out at ...

Need Supplemental Income
Apr 15, 2013

Anyone know of a good small company that I can work just for supplental income?  I don't need a lot, just something to help out.  I prefer a small company without all of the bells and whistles that come with the larger ones.  TIA ...

2013 Income
Jan 02, 2014

So how did everyone do this year working as an MT? I earned about $36,000. Wished it was more :( ...

Does MQ Hire Statutory Employees Or Is It Just Part-time?
Jan 20, 2012

I need flexibility because I home school.    ...

MQ Makes A Net Income Of 9.7 Million.
Feb 01, 2010

http://www.officialwire.com/main.php?action=posted_news&rid=58609   That money is OUR money for what MQ did to all of us and probably most of the money MQ took was from ASR!!!  I see MQ hired ANOTHER VP for global service?  I wonder how much this person makes?  Along with bonuses?  So, that makes what. . .,  30 some VP's who work for MQ?   ...

Income Simple Survey
Mar 24, 2010

After losing an employee status job due to healthcare reform anticipated cuts, I am considering going back to IC status.  Just to keep things super simple, as a baseline would appreciate hearing what ICs are making yearly who work a 40 hour a week.  ...

What Do You Consider A Good Income For MT/editing, Not Cpl But $$
Aug 09, 2012

I do not mean a per line rate, as that will equate to different incomes for different MTs. What do you consider a reasonable annual income for a combination of MT/editing; $25,000, $30,000, $40,000, or more?  My income was $47,000 in the past, and will probably drop to $37,000 this year.  I don't like it, but I do not have a degree, jobs are not plentiful, and I am thinking that in my rural town, I will not do any better, especially considering clothes and gas, etc.  I stil ...

Do Offshore Workers Pay US Income Tax?
Nov 20, 2012

How does that work....taking US opportunity and making profit from it, do they share in the TAXX burden? ...

You're The Reason My Income Sucks.
Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them. Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hac ...

If In A Leave Of Absence There Is Any Income At All?
Jun 15, 2014

Does anyone know if in a leave of absence there is any income at all?  My 27-year-old son may have cancer.  I'm needless to say devastated and need to be of help to him and his family. ...

1099 Misc Income Question
Feb 09, 2011

What do you do if the 1099 you received from a former client doesn't equal the payments received from them.  It says they paid me more than I received or show deposits.  The office manager will not return calls or e-mails?  She even stiffed me on my last invoice.   ...