A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My income has hit an all-time low. :( - Ripped-Off MT (sm)

Posted: Dec 13, 2012

Last Friday my paycheck for 2 weeks' work was less than $300.  How am I supposed to live on this?!  My company raised our min. line count rate, and not long ago lowered our cpl pay for VR, which is all we ever get anymore. We also have a higher min. daily required rate. Yet of course, work is getting sparse, especially at this time of year. So I sit and wait, occasionally hitting the download button, and occasionally actually getting a short, almost worthless job spat out at me.  After close to 10 hrs of this, I then have to put something like 3 or 4 hrs on my time sheet, because we were told to divide our total lines by the lines per hr minimum to get our "hours worked".  I could make more money walking around the neighborhood on trash night and stealing aluminum cans out of recycling bins.

Want me to place a call about that gun being held to your head? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Regarding the gun to her head - Gertrude

[ In Reply To ..]
There but for the grace of God go you.

Amen - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

re: "Want Me to....:" - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You know nothing about it.

just ignore the nasty comments below - from ignorant scrooges

[ In Reply To ..]
Until someone has walked in your shoes, they have no right to be so smug. I have walked in your shoes, full of despair, have been in this business over 25 years and I know how you feel. I have hung in there through good times and bad, and things always have a way of working themselves out. Chin up, and many of us wish you the best and are rooting for you.

I guess I should have said nasty comments above - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I meant it when I said things have a way of working out. I don't know who people can be so unkind to someone who is at their lowest point. Hang in there.

I think the point was ... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If this person is an employee what they seem to be describing is being asked to falsify their time card. They can report this to the labor board in their state or federal. They could also check to see if there is legal aid in their community. All of this can be done anonymously.
(OP)- Oh, I fully intend to! I may be po', but I'm not - stupid. Will contact the Labor Board - s/m
[ In Reply To ..]
AFTER I've found something else and finally left that dung-hole of a job. Not before. But soon, very soon.

I, too am not sure - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Why people get off kicking others when they are down. If you stay in this job long enough, you, too, will have tough times. How much would it cost to be kind and supportive rather than snarky and nasty?
Not sure, - Me neither
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. We all know how this line of work has come to a screeching halt, but it isn't that easy to change. It took me 8 months to find another MT job 3 years ago and I left MQ. That job lasted four months and I was fired. It took me another month to find a job and a month to wait until I got paid. For two months I made $88.00. I have been on a rollercoaster ever since and I HAVE APPLIED at office jobs, retail jobs, companion jobs as well. I am qualified, but so are a 1000 other applicants. I hope things work out for you and you find something decent; at least enough to pay your bills and for the "gun to your head," just hope you are never in the same position!

The nasty comment person hasn't considered that it - might be HER job one of us goes after next.

[ In Reply To ..]
Please do, come join me. I am at MM. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Aww, thanks! Even when I finally get another job - and get out of MT, it still wont - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
be over, not by a long shot. I plan to go after that near-decade of unpaid standby time and overtime with a vengeance.

Make a change... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I say this in the nicest tone possible, but I really hope you are looking for a different job. There are other MT jobs out there. Also, the way you are being told to calculate your "hours worked" is incorrect. Contact your local labor board and put in a complaint. You can apply for jobs outside of MT and/or go to school. There are many of us who are doing it. I work full time doing MT and go to school full time to obtain a science degree. I'm also a single parent to a teenager. It's not easy, but no one said that life is. It really is what you make of it. Try to rebuild your confidence and get back into the game of life.

go to the Department of Labor - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It is not lawful for MTSO to tell you how to fill out your timesheet. Save the emails instructing you to do so. Print them out. Take them to the labor department.

Ah, therein lies the problem. They made it a point - to only give the instructions by phone.

[ In Reply To ..]
I do expect them to slip up, sooner or later. And when they do, I'll be ready and waiting.

Similar Messages:

Income For An MT
Feb 09, 2013

I started out 18 years ago at a very small hospital working as a full-time, in-house employee with benefits and worked with some horrific dictators, but that gave me an excellent start in this field.  I then started working for large MTSOs as a full-time remote employee with benefits, which I did for years, and did very well.  I raised my kids VERY WELL as a single parent doing that.  I was able to work around my family without any problems, i.e. got them up, fed, and off to schoo ...

Need Supplemental Income
Apr 15, 2013

Anyone know of a good small company that I can work just for supplental income?  I don't need a lot, just something to help out.  I prefer a small company without all of the bells and whistles that come with the larger ones.  TIA ...

2013 Income
Jan 02, 2014

So how did everyone do this year working as an MT? I earned about $36,000. Wished it was more :( ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

MQ Makes A Net Income Of 9.7 Million.
Feb 01, 2010

http://www.officialwire.com/main.php?action=posted_news&rid=58609   That money is OUR money for what MQ did to all of us and probably most of the money MQ took was from ASR!!!  I see MQ hired ANOTHER VP for global service?  I wonder how much this person makes?  Along with bonuses?  So, that makes what. . .,  30 some VP's who work for MQ?   ...

Income Simple Survey
Mar 24, 2010

After losing an employee status job due to healthcare reform anticipated cuts, I am considering going back to IC status.  Just to keep things super simple, as a baseline would appreciate hearing what ICs are making yearly who work a 40 hour a week.  ...

What Do You Consider A Good Income For MT/editing, Not Cpl But $$
Aug 09, 2012

I do not mean a per line rate, as that will equate to different incomes for different MTs. What do you consider a reasonable annual income for a combination of MT/editing; $25,000, $30,000, $40,000, or more?  My income was $47,000 in the past, and will probably drop to $37,000 this year.  I don't like it, but I do not have a degree, jobs are not plentiful, and I am thinking that in my rural town, I will not do any better, especially considering clothes and gas, etc.  I stil ...

Do Offshore Workers Pay US Income Tax?
Nov 20, 2012

How does that work....taking US opportunity and making profit from it, do they share in the TAXX burden? ...

You're The Reason My Income Sucks.
Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them. Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hac ...

If In A Leave Of Absence There Is Any Income At All?
Jun 15, 2014

Does anyone know if in a leave of absence there is any income at all?  My 27-year-old son may have cancer.  I'm needless to say devastated and need to be of help to him and his family. ...

1099 Misc Income Question
Feb 09, 2011

What do you do if the 1099 you received from a former client doesn't equal the payments received from them.  It says they paid me more than I received or show deposits.  The office manager will not return calls or e-mails?  She even stiffed me on my last invoice.   ...

Suggestion To Aid With Income-related Discussions.
Aug 10, 2012

I've noticed that we need some sort of standard reference or metric to use when we talk about income-related issues, and this metric should not merely reference dollars (or cents), but should relate this to <i>a unit of time</i>.  At the end of the day, it's how much you earned per unit of time that really matters, and this the only sort of metric that takes into account all of the variables that a mere monetary reference such as "line rate" does not. The line rate pa ...

Would Anyone Share What Their Income Is With Me?...wanting To See I Am On Track Of Need To Strive Fo
Jul 20, 2010

Of course this is personal but since we can be anonymous on her, would anyone share what they are making in terms of weekly, hourly, monthly or yearly with me?  I would like to compare with where I am and determine if I am at a good average or way below and need to be doing more.  I would also love it if you could share production lines per hour or day etc.  ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...

Desperately Seeking Morning PT Radiology Work To Supplement Income
Jan 13, 2012

It seems impossible to find morning work in radiology to supplement my full-time income!  I love my full-time job at Transcend, but I am really needing to find a PT gig to supplement my income.  I current work second shift, but with the economy these days, like so many others out there, I could really use the extra income.  I would appreciate any input about any companies, whether it be IC or employee status, that offers morning work in radiology.  I scour the ads daily ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

Strange Category On A "Miscellaneous Income" Tax Form
Mar 28, 2015

That's truly miscellaneous, along with the golden parachute category and the proceeds paid to an attorney.  I've never seen this form before.  Wonder why the MTSOs would use that instead of a 1099.  ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

"Nuance Does Not Owe You Any Certain Income"
Jun 01, 2013

Some of these I've had said to me directly, others passed on to me by other MTs genuinely hurting to pay rent. ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

Anybody Else's Actual Time Worked Not Match Clocked Time?
Jun 13, 2011

Ever since they have changed Schedule Source and now it has a display called today's activity with "actuals" hours, this has not matched the hours shown with the time clock punches and is less than the hours according to the clock punch. The difference adds up to a significant amount over time. I am really suspicious about being jypped paywise. ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

The New MQ Time Clock Time Zone Change
Jan 04, 2011

is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Like I'm going to remember 6 months from now to ask for my PTO in CST time when I am in EST time zone.  MQ is the screwiest company I have ever worked for. ...

Optiscript Part Time To Full Time
Nov 19, 2011

Does anyone care to share that if you are hired at optiscript part time will they let you change to full time easily? I know they are a small company and do not over hire so I do not know how easily this could be done.  I am thinking of cutting down to part time at my current employee so I can work part time elsewhere and eventually just leave my current employee once I see how the land lays elsewhere.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated :) ...

Full-time/Part-time Hours?
Feb 13, 2012

Since part-time is generally considered 20-25 hrs. per week, does that mean that full-time is anything over 25 hrs. per week or does it have to be a flat 40 hrs? ...