A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What do you consider a good income for MT/editing, not cpl but $$ - Please see message

Posted: Aug 09, 2012

I do not mean a per line rate, as that will equate to different incomes for different MTs.

What do you consider a reasonable annual income for a combination of MT/editing; $25,000, $30,000, $40,000, or more? 

My income was $47,000 in the past, and will probably drop to $37,000 this year.  I don't like it, but I do not have a degree, jobs are not plentiful, and I am thinking that in my rural town, I will not do any better, especially considering clothes and gas, etc.  I still love being an MT, even with the pay cut.  I am asking myself, honestly, how much am I worth (not how much I want)?  I want to be reasonable and honest about it, so then I would have to compare what I make, with 20 years experience, to what other MTs are making for a combination of MT and VR.  Actually, I only have 3 years' experience in VR, but I am fairly good as it I guess.

So what does everyone else think?  How much do you think you are really and truly worth in today's job market (not what you would like to make).  What do you consider fair?

You're making more than most - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I will gross about 20, working 26 hours a week - not happy, but whatever

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to gross 37 for those same hours.

50-60k - sss

[ In Reply To ..]
this is what i have been averaging the last 2-3 years

uh-oh, better duck! - clauser

[ In Reply To ..]
it's on!
The question is what do you think is a fair income, not what you do make - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
n

At least 50,000 to 60,000 - kristyj

[ In Reply To ..]
At least this $50-60,000 with the knowledge that is required for this job.

$45-$55,000 for midwest - Ayn

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm thinking in comparison to jobs requiring similar skills for high-school and/or college education in office/business type studies with emphasis on language, English, grammar, organizational, and office-type skills. Although there may not be a degree out there for us specifically, I think our job does require us to have that level of knowledge/skill of at least a 2-year degree, and this seems to be a fair market value for similar level jobs that I see advertised in my area -- which is where I will land when I am forced to leave MT :-(

factoring in all the hassles and unpaid work... - incognito

[ In Reply To ..]
We should be grossing $40K at least. This is a hard job, and not just anyone can do it.

I've pondered this myself - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Here's what I honestly think. First of all, I think it should depend on the level of difficulty of the work and if the MT is a true IC or working for someone else. Working for someone else, I think that clinic only with a regular small pool of dictators, clear speakers, etc., should be about a $25K to $30K job. Acute care with heavy ESL and a large pool of dictators should be about a $35K to $40K job WITH RAISES. If an MT is a true IC with her/his own accounts, then the pay should be over $50K, probably more like $70K. There is a lot more work involved in handling one's own accounts. It is weird with MT, though. The easy stuff pays best!

Anyway, that's what I would consider fair in today's market give or take.

I thank between $30-40,000,,,sm - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
fair working a 40-hour week. If you are making $37,000 for a 40-hour week that would be $17+ per hour gross. When I got outsourced from my hospital job last October, I was making $18+ per hour with fully paid health, 3 weeks vacation, 10 sick days, no weekends, and ALL holidays off (paid). Now, I'm working for an MTSO making $10-12 per hour, pay for my health (reasonable) get diddly squat for PTO, and no holidlays off unless I request using my PTO, and then there is no guarantee they'll grant it off. You're not doing too badly at $37,000, I think.

Well . . . - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I made $48K in 2010, then went down to $35K in 2011 and 2012 is shaping up to be about $26K. I lost a great IC job due to the implosion of the practice I worked for and am now with one of the big MTSOs working for pennies.

It is amazing how fast it has all gone to heck.

I think $36K is reasonable.

For the past 10 years I have made a little over - $37,000 but this year I will

[ In Reply To ..]
probably only make $34,000 or $35,000 due to change in jobs. I think $35,000 to $40,000 is acceptable and fair.

Anything under $30,000 is bad.

The question you asked is too vague. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You can reasonably expect many different estimates of "fair worth" based on a number of factors - e.g., experience, the difficulty, complexity and variety of work being performed, etc. Regional differences in cost of living would also need to be factored in (there is no monolithic "labor market" as you refer to).

The devil is in the details, as they say.

Well said! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I know what's not a good income... - minimum wage.

[ In Reply To ..]
Even if you are doing the simplest clinic notes at home in your jammies with your cat in your lap, you still deserve better than that.

Similar Messages:

What Do You Consider Good/great Pay For VR Editing? Sm
Feb 26, 2010

I know that most companies are going to VR but since I have only worked in house until now, I have no idea what is considered good or great pay.  Can some of you that are happy doing VR and making good or decent wages please share what you consider good or great pay and what is realistic in terms of production?  I have heard 3x your regular production, 2x regular production and less production.  I am really confused and need to be able to compare apples to apples. Thank you ...

Good Editing Platform Besides Escription?
Sep 18, 2013

Have worked with Escription, liked it, just wondering if there is another good VR platform someone is working in that they think is okay. Thanks ...

Hate To Ask This But What Is A Good Rate To Charge For VR Editing? Nm
Jul 14, 2013

Thanks! ...

Income For An MT
Feb 09, 2013

I started out 18 years ago at a very small hospital working as a full-time, in-house employee with benefits and worked with some horrific dictators, but that gave me an excellent start in this field.  I then started working for large MTSOs as a full-time remote employee with benefits, which I did for years, and did very well.  I raised my kids VERY WELL as a single parent doing that.  I was able to work around my family without any problems, i.e. got them up, fed, and off to schoo ...

My Income Has Hit An All-time Low. :(
Dec 13, 2012

Last Friday my paycheck for 2 weeks' work was less than $300.  How am I supposed to live on this?!  My company raised our min. line count rate, and not long ago lowered our cpl pay for VR, which is all we ever get anymore. We also have a higher min. daily required rate. Yet of course, work is getting sparse, especially at this time of year. So I sit and wait, occasionally hitting the download button, and occasionally actually getting a short, almost worthless job spat out at ...

Need Supplemental Income
Apr 15, 2013

Anyone know of a good small company that I can work just for supplental income?  I don't need a lot, just something to help out.  I prefer a small company without all of the bells and whistles that come with the larger ones.  TIA ...

2013 Income
Jan 02, 2014

So how did everyone do this year working as an MT? I earned about $36,000. Wished it was more :( ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

MQ Makes A Net Income Of 9.7 Million.
Feb 01, 2010

http://www.officialwire.com/main.php?action=posted_news&rid=58609   That money is OUR money for what MQ did to all of us and probably most of the money MQ took was from ASR!!!  I see MQ hired ANOTHER VP for global service?  I wonder how much this person makes?  Along with bonuses?  So, that makes what. . .,  30 some VP's who work for MQ?   ...

Income Simple Survey
Mar 24, 2010

After losing an employee status job due to healthcare reform anticipated cuts, I am considering going back to IC status.  Just to keep things super simple, as a baseline would appreciate hearing what ICs are making yearly who work a 40 hour a week.  ...

Do Offshore Workers Pay US Income Tax?
Nov 20, 2012

How does that work....taking US opportunity and making profit from it, do they share in the TAXX burden? ...

You're The Reason My Income Sucks.
Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them. Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hac ...

If In A Leave Of Absence There Is Any Income At All?
Jun 15, 2014

Does anyone know if in a leave of absence there is any income at all?  My 27-year-old son may have cancer.  I'm needless to say devastated and need to be of help to him and his family. ...

1099 Misc Income Question
Feb 09, 2011

What do you do if the 1099 you received from a former client doesn't equal the payments received from them.  It says they paid me more than I received or show deposits.  The office manager will not return calls or e-mails?  She even stiffed me on my last invoice.   ...

Suggestion To Aid With Income-related Discussions.
Aug 10, 2012

I've noticed that we need some sort of standard reference or metric to use when we talk about income-related issues, and this metric should not merely reference dollars (or cents), but should relate this to <i>a unit of time</i>.  At the end of the day, it's how much you earned per unit of time that really matters, and this the only sort of metric that takes into account all of the variables that a mere monetary reference such as "line rate" does not. The line rate pa ...

Would Anyone Share What Their Income Is With Me?...wanting To See I Am On Track Of Need To Strive Fo
Jul 20, 2010

Of course this is personal but since we can be anonymous on her, would anyone share what they are making in terms of weekly, hourly, monthly or yearly with me?  I would like to compare with where I am and determine if I am at a good average or way below and need to be doing more.  I would also love it if you could share production lines per hour or day etc.  ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...

Desperately Seeking Morning PT Radiology Work To Supplement Income
Jan 13, 2012

It seems impossible to find morning work in radiology to supplement my full-time income!  I love my full-time job at Transcend, but I am really needing to find a PT gig to supplement my income.  I current work second shift, but with the economy these days, like so many others out there, I could really use the extra income.  I would appreciate any input about any companies, whether it be IC or employee status, that offers morning work in radiology.  I scour the ads daily ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

Strange Category On A "Miscellaneous Income" Tax Form
Mar 28, 2015

That's truly miscellaneous, along with the golden parachute category and the proceeds paid to an attorney.  I've never seen this form before.  Wonder why the MTSOs would use that instead of a 1099.  ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Workstation With A Good Pullout Keyboard Tray
Dec 04, 2014

that is wide enough for a wrist rest.  This needs to be in my bedroom so cant be too huge.  I like the tower off the floor also.  Thanks.  ...

2014 - Not A Good Year For This MT â But I Found A Good Fit (finally)
Jan 12, 2015

Rarely do I start discussion on mtstars - however, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for myself - an experienced MT/Editor (15+ years). However, I realize that many other MTs may be in the same position, i.e., having many years devoted to working at the Big MTSOs including âthe M,â and âthe Nâ and (now to be included) âthe Tâ following close behind in total numbers of MT/Editors on staff. (Hint: Sure most of you know the M, the N and the T - and the names have been int ...

"Nuance Does Not Owe You Any Certain Income"
Jun 01, 2013

Some of these I've had said to me directly, others passed on to me by other MTs genuinely hurting to pay rent. ...

All Type QA - Good Money?? Good Company???
May 24, 2011

I have expierence with QA, although have never been paid production for it. I do enjoy QA more. Does anyone have expierence at All Type in QA? Are they reliable?? Do they pay well? I currently make about 32000/year and need more. Would this be doable? TIA!! ...

IMEDX Takeover...I Don't Have A Good Feeling About This. Does Anyone Have A Good Sm
Jul 07, 2012

experience with this company.  Sounds like they suck up our accounts and then pay us less than pennies to clean up the trash.  ...

Good Friday; Good Bye Spheris
Apr 02, 2010

Well Good Friday to me.  I left Spheris.  It is indeed the best Friday for me in a very long time.  I've had it with their lousy platform, Mafia QA (they try their best to kill your spirit), mandatory this, mandatory that, do this, don't do that, change this, don't change that; no, don't change this, don't change that, and on and on and on, and now their bankruptcy.  No PTO for the next 4 months to keep the clients satisfied during ...

Anyone Editing VR At 800 Lph?
Feb 18, 2010

If you get 800 lph on VR, what platform to you use, what types of reports do you type?  ...

Can Anyone Tell Me About VR Editing
Feb 26, 2010

Can anyone tell me about VR editing, the pay seems quite low about 3 cpl.  How many lines can you do in an hour? I am a very fast typist, but unsure about VR and have a job interview for this.  Thanks for your help ...

Editing Pay
Jun 05, 2010

I understand that everything is going to the way of the editor and not typing, but when the editor keeps missing whole sentences or makes up words that sound nothing like the doctor is saying, how is one supposed to make any money?  I only get paid .04 per line to edit and I am spening more time trying to fix editing mistakes than I would if I just erase the text and type it out.  Very frustrating.  Thank God my husband has a good paying job, otherwise I would have to find another ...

Is All Editing With VR Really This Bad?
Oct 28, 2010

I work for a company that uses M*Modal for VR and all the reports have SO much editing.  There are complete words missing, words added that clearly aren't being dictated, at least 2 words on each line that have to be edited.  I'm doing so much more work for less pay than I was straight typing everything.  This is the only editing I've done so I don't know if this is normal for editing or if M*Modal just sucks!  My line counts suck, my pay sucks.  Any ...