A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Would anyone share what their income is with me?...wanting to see I am on track of need to strive fo - tbur

Posted: Jul 20, 2010

Of course this is personal but since we can be anonymous on her, would anyone share what they are making in terms of weekly, hourly, monthly or yearly with me?  I would like to compare with where I am and determine if I am at a good average or way below and need to be doing more. 

I would also love it if you could share production lines per hour or day etc. 

Hard to do - pay scales are very regional. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
What part of the country do you live in? Are you full time or part time? There are lots of variables that go into pay scales.

AVerage - justme

[ In Reply To ..]
Im in the dirty south. On a good day I average 200 lines an hour, on a very good day I make up to 275 lines an hour, which averages out to 25 - 27 dollars an hour. I have been doing this for 18 years, have a lot of little shortcuts and just happen to love typing. This account is new to me, only been working on it about 2 months now, my old job I averaged 2400 lines a day.

Thank you that is good info - nm - tbur

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Well if someone could share what they make for the hours they work - tbur

[ In Reply To ..]
That would help determine where I should be. Many of us work online, so I do not think that where were are in terms of region would matter.

I work at a hospital in the Midwest - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I make $16.50 per hour with excellent benefits, including 8 hours of paid leave every 2 weeks (which can be accrued up to 720 hours, and be used however I wish). I also don't have to worry about running out of work and not being able to pay bills. I think the pay range is $12 to $17 dollars, depending on experience. Hospitals in larger areas probably pay higher per hour (but the cost of living probably absorbs that anyway). Hope this helps.

Thing 1 and Thing 2 - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Full time job #1: IC, roughly 8 hours a day, although it varies depending on work load on a given day (could be 4, could be 12). Single account 50-ish doctors. $900-1100 every two weeks gross.

Full time job #2: IC, should be 7 hours a day, but work has been low/none for a few weeks. Now about 2-ish hours a day, about $350 every two weeks gross.

My situation is almost identical to thing 1! - ScoobyDoo

[ In Reply To ..]
I am almost identical to your 'thing 1' situation! I distract myself way too much with family/kids/household stuff, so I doubt I'll ever be one of those 2000-lines-per-day types!

I average 38-40 hours a week, straight transcription - jt

[ In Reply To ..]
and last year made almost $60,000.

That's AWESOME, jt! - tk

[ In Reply To ..]
Would you mind sharing whether you are an IC or an employee?

WOW!!! I wish you could share how you accomplish this. - tbur

[ In Reply To ..]
I should be striving for more. Anyone who would like to share how they get these numbers, it would be greatly appreciated. I was expecting $25, how do you accomplish beyond that.

I dont know why everyone is so secretive - when this is anonmyous if you wish to be

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish more people would be willing to share, but I guess it just depends who you are.
2 years ago I was making about $30 to $35 an hour with a 3 doctor practice. I had a lot of expanders and I had been working for them for 7 years, and I can only explain this by being fast, I was being paid 12 cents a line... Then I got another job at a hospital, these were both IC jobs... I was making about $50,000 a year. I was working A LOT and most of the time 7 days a week though....

Now, I work 30 hours a week and make about $17 to $22 an hour depending on the doctor. It's a major MAJOR cut in pay, I'm making 9 cents a line and I am now an employee. There is one day every week I am scheduled that consists of no work, so that cuts a lot of pay off as well...
Region? - MBethC
[ In Reply To ..]
Would you mind telling me in what part of the country do you live?
I live on the west coast - but my employer is in the midwest
[ In Reply To ..]
not sure if that helps.

$900-$1000 a week - Typer2

[ In Reply To ..]
I do about 280-320 lph @ 9 cpl, do about 35 hours a week.

so you almost do as much as required in 2 weeks - in one week

[ In Reply To ..]
is that true? I know for my company it's 12000 lines a pay period. If you go on your high end of 320 LPH, you make almost this much in one week...

is this straight typing? lots of canned text?

I am an EXTREMELY fast typer...and I can make upwards of 300 LPH... well I guess I'm only working about 20 or 25 hours a week so maybe I'm just not doing the math right.. If there was enough work, I would be working as much as you!

I make hay - Typer2

[ In Reply To ..]
when I can. There are some weeks that there's not enough work, but on average that's where I fall. I type as fast as most dictators talk, am an old dog so I think in shortcuts!
What am I doing wrong? - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
I also type as fast as most doctors talk, make 9 cpl, and make about half of what you do. Any ideas why I can't make what you do? I consistently work about 7 hours a day, 5 days a week, sometimes a bit more.
cannot believe everything posted, especially Earnings posts. - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Maybe, but. . . . - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
I think for the most part, people report this stuff honestly. What's the point of lying? I was just thinking, maybe her docs talk faster than mine do, LOL!
People get "creative" for all sorts of reasons. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Some like to take a miraculous LPH rate that they can maybe type in one hour with a perfect dictator and lots of shorthand tossed in and use that to calculate their hourly wage, when the rest of their hours are considerably less.

Others just seem to get joy out of getting a rise out of the rest of the board. I'm not exactly sure what personal satisfaction they get from it, but if you read through posts here, you'll see it happens a lot. Provocative, questionable, speculative, and disparaging posts are made regularly just to 'stir the pot'.

Believe me, if MTSOs really believed that we were capable of typing 300 lph on a consistent basis, that would be the required minimum. They don't have the 150 lph line count just to be kind. That's more in keeping with the capabilities of the "average" MT while still maintaining an accurate report.
So because you are unable - Typer2
[ In Reply To ..]
to type 300 lph consistently, that means someone else cannot? I do, consistently. And usually with popping in and out of here and other forums. I was doing 400+ lph straight typing with another company who then said they couldn't pay spaces effectively cutting production 25%, so I left. But even with a different company, different dictators I consistently do 275-320 lph. I've no reason to lie since this is totally anonymous, what would be the point?

I have years of short-cuts which enables me to usually move the speed up to 125-130% and hit it. Some things just are easier for some than others I guess.
I absolutely agree! - ScoobyDoo
[ In Reply To ..]
I worked in-house in the beginning of my career and witnessed first-hand the real money makers! They sat at those desks and did not budge, and those fingers were going the entire time. Yes, they wore wrist splints and were permanently stooped over, but they kept on typing, never stopping except maybe for a quick cig break!

I can't do that. I am average. I type around 150 lines an hour. I make an average of $13.50 an hour. My checks are about $900.00 every 2 weeks. I'm okay with being average.

I have a few at my job that post company wide emails that they've typed 1800 lines and will be back on later to type more. Whatever. Good for them. I'm an average MT that produces above-average quality. I guess in the whole scheme of things, these MT businesses need a variety of both 'average' and 'extraordinary' MTs to get the job done.
Reply to cannot believe - regionmatters
[ In Reply To ..]
What you think people are trying to impress you? Someone asked a question and the answers have varied, including whether or not they are paid productivity or straight hourly wage, what region they are working in (which does matter). No reason to lie about it, it is what it is.

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE INFO...PLEASE CONTINUE TO SHARE...THIS IS GREAT!!! - tbur

[ In Reply To ..]
This is very helpful and inspiring. Any helpful tips on what brought you to making more money would be greatly appreciated. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR SHARING. I love how MTs share and help others to grow.

We are paid twice a month, and each of my - paychecks amounts to about - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
$650. This is quite a drop from the $1150-$1200 bimonthly checks I used to get at my inhouse job! :(

INCOME - Pat46

[ In Reply To ..]
A couple of weeks ago someone going by annonymous had a post saying that the average salary for a MT was $14.40 an hour and he wanted to know where those jobs are.

I doubt too many of the people working for the companies that pay line rates would make this, especially if they are doing VR.

I work at a hospital that I've worked at for 10 years. We put in the VR system last summer and we all got to go home to work. I am making $14.50 + shift differential of .25 for 8 hours and .50 for 24 hours.

I don't understand why when the companies that have VR cut the line count pay down. I realize you are more productive but we use the same terminology, probably have to use more of it if the machine makes "mistakes".

I am in So. Calif. and make $23/hr straight transcription - nm - regionmatters

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

mt salaries - sunrises

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you work from home in So. California or at a hospital, lab, etc. ? I am presently looking for MT work in the SD area. I know there is a lab that is hiring, but you have to work on site. Pay in the high teens.

sm - enigma

[ In Reply To ..]
That's right. The machine I usually edit for doesn't seem to be learning from its corrections and it takes me longer to edit than straight type. The MTSOs told their clients they could reduce costs by using VR. All they did was make more stress for MTs and lower pay rates. My income has only gone down, down, down over the past 5 years. I used make around $1000 per bimonthly check, feel lucky now if I get $750.

2009 Income - Dewglo

[ In Reply To ..]
$9200 taxable income, 40+ hour work week, unable to claim OT even if you worked it, figured up to less than $5.60 an hour for work done; 98% quality but could not meet line quotas due to excessively bad foreign dictators and editing requirements on hospital system that took up mega-time to process; pay cut in half due to editing rather than standard transcription after 20 years of MTing. Does that inspire you? Hope not. I said Goodbye to MTing. This field is a dead end unless the MTs take up the cause and fight for standard hourly wages for accounts that are horrible and demand decent wages. I don't know anyone else in medicine who would settle for the crap that MTs have to put up with on a general basis. Yes, some MTs have great accounts; very few of us, and they are taking more and more "gravy" away from us daily. As I posted earlier, there's no way I would ever go back to MTing unless I had a contract and hourly wages guaranteeing me an income so I could actually consistently purchase food for my family, prescription drugs, gasoline for the car, necessary things to sustain life, etc. MTing is not the job that will fit that bill. Not anymore. Gone are the days of MT glory. Now, we are just slaves.

Similar Messages:

AP - How Many Typing Hours Do You Strive For?
May 08, 2015

How many hours per day do you ladies strive for typing time.  Also how many hours type time do you usually get versus the actual time you end up sitting at the computer? I'm wondering if I'm doing enough. ...

Income For An MT
Feb 09, 2013

I started out 18 years ago at a very small hospital working as a full-time, in-house employee with benefits and worked with some horrific dictators, but that gave me an excellent start in this field.  I then started working for large MTSOs as a full-time remote employee with benefits, which I did for years, and did very well.  I raised my kids VERY WELL as a single parent doing that.  I was able to work around my family without any problems, i.e. got them up, fed, and off to schoo ...

My Income Has Hit An All-time Low. :(
Dec 13, 2012

Last Friday my paycheck for 2 weeks' work was less than $300.  How am I supposed to live on this?!  My company raised our min. line count rate, and not long ago lowered our cpl pay for VR, which is all we ever get anymore. We also have a higher min. daily required rate. Yet of course, work is getting sparse, especially at this time of year. So I sit and wait, occasionally hitting the download button, and occasionally actually getting a short, almost worthless job spat out at ...

Need Supplemental Income
Apr 15, 2013

Anyone know of a good small company that I can work just for supplental income?  I don't need a lot, just something to help out.  I prefer a small company without all of the bells and whistles that come with the larger ones.  TIA ...

2013 Income
Jan 02, 2014

So how did everyone do this year working as an MT? I earned about $36,000. Wished it was more :( ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

MQ Makes A Net Income Of 9.7 Million.
Feb 01, 2010

http://www.officialwire.com/main.php?action=posted_news&rid=58609   That money is OUR money for what MQ did to all of us and probably most of the money MQ took was from ASR!!!  I see MQ hired ANOTHER VP for global service?  I wonder how much this person makes?  Along with bonuses?  So, that makes what. . .,  30 some VP's who work for MQ?   ...

Income Simple Survey
Mar 24, 2010

After losing an employee status job due to healthcare reform anticipated cuts, I am considering going back to IC status.  Just to keep things super simple, as a baseline would appreciate hearing what ICs are making yearly who work a 40 hour a week.  ...

What Do You Consider A Good Income For MT/editing, Not Cpl But $$
Aug 09, 2012

I do not mean a per line rate, as that will equate to different incomes for different MTs. What do you consider a reasonable annual income for a combination of MT/editing; $25,000, $30,000, $40,000, or more?  My income was $47,000 in the past, and will probably drop to $37,000 this year.  I don't like it, but I do not have a degree, jobs are not plentiful, and I am thinking that in my rural town, I will not do any better, especially considering clothes and gas, etc.  I stil ...

Do Offshore Workers Pay US Income Tax?
Nov 20, 2012

How does that work....taking US opportunity and making profit from it, do they share in the TAXX burden? ...

You're The Reason My Income Sucks.
Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them. Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hac ...

If In A Leave Of Absence There Is Any Income At All?
Jun 15, 2014

Does anyone know if in a leave of absence there is any income at all?  My 27-year-old son may have cancer.  I'm needless to say devastated and need to be of help to him and his family. ...

Track Back.
Jan 25, 2011

Just something to keep in mind, even if you think you are being anonymous on here, there is always the chance that your post can be tracked back to you...and if it is, MQ could always make your work life a living h___.   ...

LPH Minimum. Be Sure To Keep Track Of All Those
Jul 16, 2013

a job to upload. All those add up and if you don't clock out for them it will go against your LPH and make a difference in your assessments.  ...

Tract Or Track
May 04, 2014

A tract or track of lidocaine was used to numb.  ...

Is There A Way To Keep Track Of Percentage Being Sent To QC?
Mar 06, 2015

I never know where I stand until after the fact. Do any of you know how to keep track of this? The nonsense just keeps increasing and increasing. ...

1099 Misc Income Question
Feb 09, 2011

What do you do if the 1099 you received from a former client doesn't equal the payments received from them.  It says they paid me more than I received or show deposits.  The office manager will not return calls or e-mails?  She even stiffed me on my last invoice.   ...

Suggestion To Aid With Income-related Discussions.
Aug 10, 2012

I've noticed that we need some sort of standard reference or metric to use when we talk about income-related issues, and this metric should not merely reference dollars (or cents), but should relate this to <i>a unit of time</i>.  At the end of the day, it's how much you earned per unit of time that really matters, and this the only sort of metric that takes into account all of the variables that a mere monetary reference such as "line rate" does not. The line rate pa ...

Tract Or Track Question...sm
Nov 07, 2009

The sacral decubitus ulcer was then marked with a marking pen and an elliptical excision was made with a scalpel so as to completely excise the ulcer itself and the *tract/track* which was extending several centimeters proximally. ...

On Track To Make Less Again This Year.
Oct 07, 2011

Yet again, I am on track to make less this year than apparently when I was a teenager working at a burger joint.  I work 40 hours, never call in sick (before anybody starts flaming).  So depressing.  ...

Pin Tract Or Pin Track Infection
Feb 19, 2012

Can anyone tell me which is the proper way to type "pin tract or pin track infection"? Thanks! ...

Shunt Tract Or Track
Dec 20, 2012

shunt tract or track? ...

Track Versus Tract
Apr 22, 2013

HELP! We can never keep this straight....when do you use track and when do you use tract? ...

Wanting Out
Dec 29, 2009

I've been a MT for 10 years.  Not long compared to a lot of people on here, but unfortunately for me it has become a nigtmare instead of the job I once loved.  The last couple years with the change to SR has cost me approximately $10.00 per hour.  I am the only income in my home raising 3 children, on the verge of losing the house...   Same old sad story all over the country I suppose.   I'm looking for some advice on other jobs that can be ...

Wanting To Become An MT
May 18, 2015

Hello MT'S out there HELP HELP HELP! Im wanting to become like you, an Mt and preferrably to work from home. I'm trying to find out about about schools/training: accredited, financial aid, online. I'd be interested to know how, who, and what to go about it. If I'm able to go by financial aid, i want to pick the right school/training. I would hate to just pick a school and find out its not the right one and would be wasing the financial aid money. I google and i� ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...

Keeping Track Of Time Typed
Aug 16, 2011

Is there such a thing available that keeps track of "at the keyboard" typing time? I am one that gets up and down frequently throughout my work day and its hard to keep track of exactly how many actual hours I am typing.  I want something automatic that I don't have to remember to click on/off because if I could remember to do that, I could remember to write it down :)  Anyone know of something like this? ...

CTA. Abnormal S/l Track.extending Through Right Gluteus
Apr 26, 2012

CTA of the pelvis demonstrates no evidence of any arterial aneurysm or AV fistula.  There was abnormal "track" extending through the right gluteus maximus muscle with marked induration of the subcutaneous tissue of the right buttock area.  (CTA performed before heterotopic ossification sugery.  Past history of gunshot to buttocks, with bullet fragments overlying the left hemipelvis on hip x-ray.) ...

How Do They Track Production Time In Escription?
Dec 23, 2012

I work in Escription 9.20 (90% VR).  If I am told I have an average work time of 6.9 hours in Escription, does anyone know exactly how they are tracking to get that figure?  ...

Keeping Track Of Line Count
Jan 25, 2013

Is there any other way to know your line counts besides the metrics??  ...