A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

if in a leave of absence there is any income at all? - Pollyanna

Posted: Jun 15, 2014

Does anyone know if in a leave of absence there is any income at all?  My 27-year-old son may have cancer.  I'm needless to say devastated and need to be of help to him and his family.

I dont know the - answer to that, but

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm very sorry about your son & will pray for you & your family.

No pay, but insurance remains. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You'll have to use all your PTO before leave kicks in. All benefits remain intact, but you will receive no income. I, too, am very sorry to hear this and will say prayers for you and your family. Stay strong.

Thank you so much! - Pollyanna

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for letting me know. I have only 1 day of PTO. A leave of absence will surely put me on the street. Of course I make so little money as is.
I forgot to tell you something. - Poster to whom you responded.
[ In Reply To ..]
The policy I stated above was with a company that was acquired by Nuance, but I don't think it has changed. The law is the law, and this is the FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act). I have provided the link.

www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/

leave of abscence - msdaisy

[ In Reply To ..]
would you be able to take short/long term disability if that is a benefit you participate in??

Not certain - Pollyanna

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think I have short-term disability. Do you have to have this insurance to even take a leave of absence?

To take short- or long-term disability, you have to be disabled in some capacity. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You can take FMLA. It is not paid unless your - state pays for this benefit. Your

[ In Reply To ..]
sons doctor can fill out the paperwork. It doesn't have to be straight leave either, it can be part-time days off, time off as needed for appts, care, etc. FMLA will allow you to have the time off without losing your job. As long as you're back in the timeframe of what it allows, you will still have a job.

Thank you so much! - Pollyanna

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate everyone's help on this.

Similar Messages:

Leave Of Absence
Jan 29, 2010

I'm at my wits end and so stressed out with all this NJA crud, struggling to pay bills, never knowing how much money I'll make from check to check, and wondering how long I'll even have a job.  I've decided to take a personal LOA to try to pull it together and destress.  I sent my CCM an email about doing it and why a couple of weeks ago. I've already put in for it at Hartford and they too sent CCM an email about it.  However, CCM has never gotten back to me yet a ...

Is It Possible To Get A Leave Of Absence From Nuance?
Jun 18, 2013

Is it possible to get a leave of absence from Nuance?  Has anyone done this?  Any info is appreciated.  ...

FIRED DURING COMPANY-APPROVED LEAVE OF ABSENCE...IS THIS LEGAL?
May 28, 2013

I was "terminated" after within 1 week of my company-approved (FMLA) leave of absence.  The excuse they used was that my company "could not accommodate" a leave of absence for the extended period of time that I would be out of work.  I needed the extended leave of absence because I had CMC arthroplasty with pin placement.  My surgeon gave me a written note that stated I would be in a hand cast for 6 weeks followed by 6 weeks of physical therapy, and he would not ...

NJA AND EXCUSED ABSENCE
Feb 05, 2014

So, with this NJA situation so early in the year, wonder what happens if you use up of all of your 104 hours? ...

Can We Use Some Of Uor Excused Absence No Pay Hours For This?
Oct 26, 2014

I'm certainly not using my PTO and don't know if I even feel like making the time up - if that's even possible. ...

NJA, And Excused Absence, No Work
Mar 04, 2015

Our TSM has sent a couple mass e-mails saying anyone who wanted to use this option of Excused Absence - No Work would be allowed to do so on certain days when it was offered.  If we do this, are those hours subtracted from our 104 hours of Excused Absence - No Pay that we are allowed yearly?  I recall using Excused Absence - No Work last year, and it was not subtracted from our 104 hours.  Has this changed? ...

NJA POLICY - Says You Can Use Excused Absence No Work
Nov 10, 2014

if you run out of work - the policy is dated 08/28/2013 - so why in the Email from the POD director is that not listed!!!.  I AM NOT USING PTO OR WORKING 24/7 to get in 39-40 hours of work for something that is not my fault and beyond my control!!! ...

Question - Do The Excused Absence No Pay Hours Reset At The Beginning Of The Year?
Dec 29, 2014

X ...

If Excused Absence W/o Pay No Work Is A Company Policy Why Does The VP Have To Approve/address It?
Jan 01, 2015

x ...

Income For An MT
Feb 09, 2013

I started out 18 years ago at a very small hospital working as a full-time, in-house employee with benefits and worked with some horrific dictators, but that gave me an excellent start in this field.  I then started working for large MTSOs as a full-time remote employee with benefits, which I did for years, and did very well.  I raised my kids VERY WELL as a single parent doing that.  I was able to work around my family without any problems, i.e. got them up, fed, and off to schoo ...

My Income Has Hit An All-time Low. :(
Dec 13, 2012

Last Friday my paycheck for 2 weeks' work was less than $300.  How am I supposed to live on this?!  My company raised our min. line count rate, and not long ago lowered our cpl pay for VR, which is all we ever get anymore. We also have a higher min. daily required rate. Yet of course, work is getting sparse, especially at this time of year. So I sit and wait, occasionally hitting the download button, and occasionally actually getting a short, almost worthless job spat out at ...

Need Supplemental Income
Apr 15, 2013

Anyone know of a good small company that I can work just for supplental income?  I don't need a lot, just something to help out.  I prefer a small company without all of the bells and whistles that come with the larger ones.  TIA ...

2013 Income
Jan 02, 2014

So how did everyone do this year working as an MT? I earned about $36,000. Wished it was more :( ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

MQ Makes A Net Income Of 9.7 Million.
Feb 01, 2010

http://www.officialwire.com/main.php?action=posted_news&rid=58609   That money is OUR money for what MQ did to all of us and probably most of the money MQ took was from ASR!!!  I see MQ hired ANOTHER VP for global service?  I wonder how much this person makes?  Along with bonuses?  So, that makes what. . .,  30 some VP's who work for MQ?   ...

Income Simple Survey
Mar 24, 2010

After losing an employee status job due to healthcare reform anticipated cuts, I am considering going back to IC status.  Just to keep things super simple, as a baseline would appreciate hearing what ICs are making yearly who work a 40 hour a week.  ...

What Do You Consider A Good Income For MT/editing, Not Cpl But $$
Aug 09, 2012

I do not mean a per line rate, as that will equate to different incomes for different MTs. What do you consider a reasonable annual income for a combination of MT/editing; $25,000, $30,000, $40,000, or more?  My income was $47,000 in the past, and will probably drop to $37,000 this year.  I don't like it, but I do not have a degree, jobs are not plentiful, and I am thinking that in my rural town, I will not do any better, especially considering clothes and gas, etc.  I stil ...

Do Offshore Workers Pay US Income Tax?
Nov 20, 2012

How does that work....taking US opportunity and making profit from it, do they share in the TAXX burden? ...

You're The Reason My Income Sucks.
Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them. Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hac ...

1099 Misc Income Question
Feb 09, 2011

What do you do if the 1099 you received from a former client doesn't equal the payments received from them.  It says they paid me more than I received or show deposits.  The office manager will not return calls or e-mails?  She even stiffed me on my last invoice.   ...

Suggestion To Aid With Income-related Discussions.
Aug 10, 2012

I've noticed that we need some sort of standard reference or metric to use when we talk about income-related issues, and this metric should not merely reference dollars (or cents), but should relate this to <i>a unit of time</i>.  At the end of the day, it's how much you earned per unit of time that really matters, and this the only sort of metric that takes into account all of the variables that a mere monetary reference such as "line rate" does not. The line rate pa ...

Would Anyone Share What Their Income Is With Me?...wanting To See I Am On Track Of Need To Strive Fo
Jul 20, 2010

Of course this is personal but since we can be anonymous on her, would anyone share what they are making in terms of weekly, hourly, monthly or yearly with me?  I would like to compare with where I am and determine if I am at a good average or way below and need to be doing more.  I would also love it if you could share production lines per hour or day etc.  ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...

Desperately Seeking Morning PT Radiology Work To Supplement Income
Jan 13, 2012

It seems impossible to find morning work in radiology to supplement my full-time income!  I love my full-time job at Transcend, but I am really needing to find a PT gig to supplement my income.  I current work second shift, but with the economy these days, like so many others out there, I could really use the extra income.  I would appreciate any input about any companies, whether it be IC or employee status, that offers morning work in radiology.  I scour the ads daily ...

What Is The Difference Between "Excused Absence-No Work" And SM
Dec 28, 2014

"Excused Absence- No Pay."??    Email says since we had late work on Friday and Saturday, according to the VP we cannot use "excused no work" but must use PTO or "excused no pay"   ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

Strange Category On A "Miscellaneous Income" Tax Form
Mar 28, 2015

That's truly miscellaneous, along with the golden parachute category and the proceeds paid to an attorney.  I've never seen this form before.  Wonder why the MTSOs would use that instead of a 1099.  ...

Why Would I Want To Leave MQ
Mar 21, 2010

In case any of the higher ups read this--here is the reason why I (and so many others like me) are leaving (I really think they don't see the big picture: 1.  Been with the company over 10 years, working more hours and making much less than the first day I joined the company.  No raise in over 8 years and 2 pay cuts. When you work at a job, you are supposed to make more money not less--we are going in the WRONG direction. 2.  No federal income tax taken out of my pay this y ...

Want To Leave MT
Oct 22, 2010

Hello, I am seriously considering leaving the field.  I have worked too hard all my life to subject myself to one more drop in pay.  Sometimes, we just have to make a stand and I think my time has come!  Luckily, my husband has a good job and I can afford to take some time off to take a class or two or start over in another field.  My question is what direction to go?  What field would make for the smoothest transition?  My friend who is also thinking of ...

When To Leave Your Job??
Dec 10, 2010

I like my job and the people I work for, but I just cannot seem to make enough money. I have worked for 2+ years as an MT and get 8 cents a line. My accounts frequently have new difficult ESL docs, so there is a major learning curve practically every day which of course brings down my line counts. The company I work for is regularly bashed on the boards here, but since pretty much every major MTSO is as well, I'm wondering if it's any better anywhere else. What have been other peo ...