A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Suggestion to aid with income-related discussions. - sm

Posted: Aug 10, 2012

I've noticed that we need some sort of standard reference or metric to use when we talk about income-related issues, and this metric should not merely reference dollars (or cents), but should relate this to <i>a unit of time</i>.  At the end of the day, it's how much you earned per unit of time that really matters, and this the only sort of metric that takes into account all of the variables that a mere monetary reference such as "line rate" does not.

The line rate paid by two different employers might be identical, and yet the same MT might only earn half as much working for one of them compared with the other.  Differences in transcription platforms, clerical/demographic complexities, the nature of the content (complexity), characteristics of dictators, availability (and payment for) of templates ("normals"), and the availability of work itself all translate the "line rate" into something that in practical terms is quite different from one employer to another, although numerically they might be the same.

Whenever I am interviewing a prospective employer (and yes, I do interview THEM), I ask a question:  What do your senior MTs earn per hour, on average - over the course of a year?  I ask this because (a) I'm a senior MT, and I expect to achieve that level of productivity after a reasonable period of adaptation, (b) this is the one number that translates absolutely every variable about the platform, the work, the availability of work, the dictators, etc. into a single number that can be compared with others.

It has never failed.  Not one employer - or recruiter - has ever been able to give me this number - and yet it's the equivalent of someone at McDonald's being able to tell and applicant how much they'll earn per hour, or how much you're offering to pay an accountant.  As such, you'd think this would be something they would make sure they know, wouldn't you?  How much are our senior people earning per hour?  They're not interested in knowing this - even for their own information?

Okay - but I think we do know - or can track - our hourly earnings and should use this in our discussions whenever possible, rather than line rates.

And when we use "average earnings per hour", I suggest that we make sure we are including hours that we are "on duty", available for work, but there is no work available.

If we can agree on a common earnings metric such as this, we'll reduce all of the variables to a fairly understandable number that we can then use to compare and contrast changes in earnings over time, differences in earnings between employers, etc.  If we do NOT use some sort of commonly understood metric that takes all of the variables into account, we're often going to be talking about very different things and not understanding one another.

Is this vern? You seem to throw the term metrics - around a whole lot...

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like some townhall meeting I attended once.

I tend to agree....lost interest after the second sentence. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
we do not need a math genious to tell us we aren't making enough money, be it per line or per hour, or annually.

How bout this... - we just get paid

[ In Reply To ..]
XX amount of dollars an hour based on experience or what you think we're worth to come in and work every day plus incentives on top of that. There... was that so hard?

Sorry I bored you. I was just saying that "line rate" isn't an adequate - way to talk about pay in our industry.

[ In Reply To ..]
And incidentally, as long as the MTSO's can keep us talking about "line rates" they can be sure that we'll never get around to talking about real hourly pay rates in our industry.
The more complicated they make the pay system, the - more easily they cheat their MTs. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Absolutely! These days, paying by the hour is distinctly possible even - for remote workers. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Today it is child's play to pay remote workers by the hour - especially when the work they do is being done on the company platform - with very little risk that anyone would be able to cheat the system successfully.

They don't pay by the hour for all of the same reasons that they prefer for us to be remote, isolated from one another, and relatively ignorant about many corporate matters even when they affect us.

When we were outsourced our employers - provided

[ In Reply To ..]
All that information. We had a meeting and the company they outsourced was there. At the end of the meeting I went up to ask my supervisor a couple of questions and saw a note pad on the table with a list of all our names, how much we made, what our incentives were and how long we had been there.

Sounds like that is the kind of info you are seeking? Simply ask for something like that to better aid you in submitting offers to your MTs.

I can guarantee you, if you want any of the hospital/clients MTs to come on board for your company, you had better not put 4 cpl in the offer. They will collect their severance pay and then unemployment before they go for that.

Hope this helps.

I'm an MT, not an MTSO. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm just suggesting that we need some common way to talk about earnings on forums like this one because "line rate" doesn't make allowances for all of the variables (different platforms, etc.)...

and I would just like to add..... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
that even though you think line rates do not make allowances for all of the variables, neither does an hourly wage. I just experienced a situation where someone was offering $11 an hour for transcription. I thought "cool, an hourly position." I applied and tested. The test was 9 minutes long and at least 150/65 character lines. It took me 24 minutes to complete, and could have been less had I been "used to" the dictator, who happened to stutter and was hard to follow. So after I was done, I started thinking about the $11 an hour pay. This report alone, 150/65 character lines, say paying at 0.08 cents per line, would have generated $12 in pay. I could easily have done two of these types of reports in an hour. If this report was the norm for this particular dictator, accepting an hourly wage of $11 an hour, would definately have shot myself in the foot! They would be paying me less than half of what I could earn on a "line rate." and face it, most companies, if they were to pay on an "hourly rate" in today's economy, and with the mindset that MTs should not be paid much, they would not offer too much more than $10 an hour, where I COULD be making twice that much in an hour, if the reports mentioned above were the norm. So in my mind, an hourly wage is not the answer either. No matter what, these companies would definitely find a way to "screw us!"
You misunderstand. She wasn't talking about the "stated" hourly wage either - but about tracking our actual hourly earnings. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
...and our ACTUAL hourly earning number DOES take all of the variables into account, as she said.

Agree with this part... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
....And when we use "average earnings per hour", I suggest that we make sure we are including hours that we are "on duty", available for work, but there is no work available.

I didn't usually count my NJA time in figuring what I made per hour because it was too depressing; but when I figured that in, too, my pay-per-hour dropped to waaaay below minimum wage. That's why I decided I couldn't keep working for an MTSO. ANY other job at all would pay at least minimum wage in my area, except for restaurant/waitstaff wages (but then they have to bump you up to $7.25/hr if you don't reach that with your tips, and you're not penalized if they have to do that).

Makes perfect sense to me - Tumbleweed

[ In Reply To ..]
I work 2 clients for the same company. One averages about $4. per hour and the other about $10. due to different variables. However, trying to get an MTSO to understand this to the point that they can come up with an hourly figure is about impossible without surveying their MTs, which I don't see happening as they just don't care.

If we were paid per hour it would solve this problem. Since we are not, we have to play 20 questions with recruiters trying to ascertain the platform, how much unpaid bookeeping we have to do for them. When I've asked about this, their reponse is "Oh, it really doesn't take that much time to ..." blah blah blah, but when add it all up - it's a considerable amount of work we do for free, something many companies have had to repay employees when a labor commissioner complaint is filed. If all these freebies we are required to give them "don't really take that much time" why don't they have their employees paid hourly do the work??

When it comes down to it, I agree with the OP, getting a quote for line rate is completely useless in determining how much you will be make per hour.

MTSOs are making a tremendous profit by complicating the variables and rates.

Similar Messages:

Discussions About
Mar 11, 2014

They were "discussing" $20 to $30 an hour? If you complete the training and you are offered $12.50, what ya gonna do?  You are signing on for 2 years.   ...

Why Are The Laptop Discussions Always Being Deleted?
May 16, 2011

nm ...

The Discussions On Cherry Picking Have Been Very Eye Opening. This Industry
Feb 15, 2010

nm ...

Income For An MT
Feb 09, 2013

I started out 18 years ago at a very small hospital working as a full-time, in-house employee with benefits and worked with some horrific dictators, but that gave me an excellent start in this field.  I then started working for large MTSOs as a full-time remote employee with benefits, which I did for years, and did very well.  I raised my kids VERY WELL as a single parent doing that.  I was able to work around my family without any problems, i.e. got them up, fed, and off to schoo ...

MRI Related Question
Jan 29, 2012

This is my first MRI transcription. I cannot make out a word that sounds like "blike" or "blyke"? This is the context: T1 and dual spin-echo weighted a blike and coronal, and T1-weighted a blike sagittal and gradient echo axial images of the left shoulder was performed.... Thanks! ...

MOT Related To Bankruptcy?
May 12, 2015

It's been my experience that when there's a deluge of work all at once to be finished up, it's because the hospital/company is about to switch gears, with the MT suffering the most.  I'm not financial savvy, but I wonder if this latest MOT stuff is related to the recent bankruptcy, that possibly the reserve money to pay the MTs is running out, so the company is about to go under or sell out.  Something's up for sure. ...

My Income Has Hit An All-time Low. :(
Dec 13, 2012

Last Friday my paycheck for 2 weeks' work was less than $300.  How am I supposed to live on this?!  My company raised our min. line count rate, and not long ago lowered our cpl pay for VR, which is all we ever get anymore. We also have a higher min. daily required rate. Yet of course, work is getting sparse, especially at this time of year. So I sit and wait, occasionally hitting the download button, and occasionally actually getting a short, almost worthless job spat out at ...

Need Supplemental Income
Apr 15, 2013

Anyone know of a good small company that I can work just for supplental income?  I don't need a lot, just something to help out.  I prefer a small company without all of the bells and whistles that come with the larger ones.  TIA ...

2013 Income
Jan 02, 2014

So how did everyone do this year working as an MT? I earned about $36,000. Wished it was more :( ...

Nonsteroidal-related Dyspepsia
Nov 04, 2010

Nonsteroidal-related dyspepsia.....with or without the dash? ...

Related Lines Of Work
Aug 27, 2013

I've been in healthcare documentation for over 7 years. The well is drying up, it seems that almost nobody is hiring, and the ones that are want the whole class to be as good as the valedictorian, if you know what I mean (and the medical industry as a whole seems bound and determined to destroy employee rights). Can my experience get me something in legal transcription or something else more stable? I can't afford more schooling, I got bills to pay. ...

Another Not Related To MT Question. I Recently
Apr 13, 2014

purchased a book on eBay.  The member not only accepted my pay and did not send, it she was very rude about it.  I think I have done all I can do, but I want to make sure.  She is leaving me negative feedback simply because I left it about her.  That is not fair and I have reported her.  Oh and to let you all know, it is a seller going by amg585.  I asked them where my book was and got a very rude response so am asking for a refund, but the fact they are leaving me ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

MQ Makes A Net Income Of 9.7 Million.
Feb 01, 2010

http://www.officialwire.com/main.php?action=posted_news&rid=58609   That money is OUR money for what MQ did to all of us and probably most of the money MQ took was from ASR!!!  I see MQ hired ANOTHER VP for global service?  I wonder how much this person makes?  Along with bonuses?  So, that makes what. . .,  30 some VP's who work for MQ?   ...

Income Simple Survey
Mar 24, 2010

After losing an employee status job due to healthcare reform anticipated cuts, I am considering going back to IC status.  Just to keep things super simple, as a baseline would appreciate hearing what ICs are making yearly who work a 40 hour a week.  ...

What Do You Consider A Good Income For MT/editing, Not Cpl But $$
Aug 09, 2012

I do not mean a per line rate, as that will equate to different incomes for different MTs. What do you consider a reasonable annual income for a combination of MT/editing; $25,000, $30,000, $40,000, or more?  My income was $47,000 in the past, and will probably drop to $37,000 this year.  I don't like it, but I do not have a degree, jobs are not plentiful, and I am thinking that in my rural town, I will not do any better, especially considering clothes and gas, etc.  I stil ...

Do Offshore Workers Pay US Income Tax?
Nov 20, 2012

How does that work....taking US opportunity and making profit from it, do they share in the TAXX burden? ...

You're The Reason My Income Sucks.
Mar 30, 2014

Ask anyone what's happened to earnings in this field over the last 10 years.  If you have a penchant for the macabre, try the last 20 years.  I won't bother with the details because you already know them. Well, you put up with it, didn't you? While the population of ESL dictators exploded and VR came on the scene, while the sheer number of medical devices, instruments, procedures, tests and other terminology we deal with doubled and then tripled, while benefits were hac ...

If In A Leave Of Absence There Is Any Income At All?
Jun 15, 2014

Does anyone know if in a leave of absence there is any income at all?  My 27-year-old son may have cancer.  I'm needless to say devastated and need to be of help to him and his family. ...

MQ Has To SEVERELY Cut Employee-related Costs And
Mar 22, 2010

There are severe legal ramifications if you put in writing that you agree to this cost cutting/salary control maneuvering by MQ.  Essentially they are getting us to let them off the hook with these "ESSAYS."  Please note on the email it states:  "All entries become the property of MQ and may be used in future communications."  Also, not to be outdone by their own salary slashing FTR program, they have also taken more time/money away from us as these are to be done on OUR O ...

On-line Screen-related Question
Aug 04, 2010

When I log in anywhere on the Internet I cannot seem to see any tool bars anymore.  I don't know how they "disappeared" but they are not there.  You know, the ones where it says File, Edit, View, etc. and the other one where it has Safety, Tools, etc.  I really need these back and cannot remember how to put them back on there.  TIA for any help. ...

Psych Or Drug-related - S/l C-Wah Scale
Mar 14, 2011

Sounds like she says "See-Wha" although possibly CY scale.  Any ideas?   TIA! ...

Need To Vent (computer Chair Related)
Apr 27, 2011

My computer chair tore up, so I needed to get a new one. I tried some out at the store and got a cushy one. After I put it together and sat in it for 30 minutes, I had severe pain. It felt like my whole body went numb and tingly. So I had to take it back. I got a second chair and can tell it's not going to be comfortable and that I will need to take it back. I'm sick, tired, and frustrated about this. Not at the stores or the people that work there, because it's not their fault ( ...

What Is Your Work-related New Year's Resolution?
Dec 19, 2011

I mean this post in all ernest, I am genuinely interested in hearing about those things that you might do differently next year to make things better than this year.  I'll go first.  1.  I plan to stay more focused on my work instead of checking in here, so much.  I plan to accomplish this by removing my MTStars icon from my toolbar, thus removing my temptation to click on it and navigate here so many times during the day.  I sat down the other day and analyzed how ...

Word Help Related To Puberty/ Macromastia
Jun 01, 2014

early onset of s/l Telarkey. ...

QCs, Save Your Grid-related Emails
May 20, 2015

to your desktop, save any old performance reports to show changes that happen before and after, anything showing changes in pay before and after, before you get locked out of email.  This "Grid Scandal" has Class Action Suit written all over it.  When you are finally forced out for "nonperformance" then you have a paper trail.  Nuance is going to unleash the full fury of QA upon us to catch every misplaced comma in order to dock our pay as much as they can, and when you are finall ...

1099 Misc Income Question
Feb 09, 2011

What do you do if the 1099 you received from a former client doesn't equal the payments received from them.  It says they paid me more than I received or show deposits.  The office manager will not return calls or e-mails?  She even stiffed me on my last invoice.   ...

Tax Debt Related To Independenct Contractor Status
Jan 02, 2014

I wonder if anyone else has gotten her/himself into a predicament like mine.  Instead of paying estimated quarterly taxes, I've been trying to pay a lump sum when tax time comes on Apr. 15 each year.  It's a bad situation because I never have the amount that's due to pay.  I've been on an monthly installment plan for 3 years, and I never miss a payment or pay late.  At this point, I still owe for most of 2011 and all of 2012.  I also have a full time ...

Would Anyone Share What Their Income Is With Me?...wanting To See I Am On Track Of Need To Strive Fo
Jul 20, 2010

Of course this is personal but since we can be anonymous on her, would anyone share what they are making in terms of weekly, hourly, monthly or yearly with me?  I would like to compare with where I am and determine if I am at a good average or way below and need to be doing more.  I would also love it if you could share production lines per hour or day etc.  ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...