Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Heather's Question - Anne

Posted: Nov 20th, 2019 - 1:43 am In Reply to: Never in my wildest dreams... - Heather

I couldn't help throwing in my two cents.

It sounds like you want to make money rather soon. If you have never been a medical transcriptionist before, even in the best medical transcription economy, it takes a good year or two to learn the job. Even though many hospitals seem to devalue us, it's more than typing what you hear. When you hear a lab value that sounds wrong, you need to flag it. You need to know the difference between Pap and pap. There are many things you pick up on the job.

With a 68 wpm typing speed, you may be more suited to general transcription. You can pick up those jobs fairly easily. There are tons of companies like guru.com where you can pick up short-term gigs. The pay isn't great, but it would give you a chance to see if you like the work. You could sign up with rev.com. Their pay isn't great either, but this would give you an idea if you like the job.

Transcription is a very strange job. I like it. But some people think it is the most boring job out there.

If you're planning on transcribing longer than say a year and want to make a career of it, legal would probably be the best way to go these days. There is a shortage of court reporters, and many of the courts are using electronic dictation. While there are some experiments with voice recognition in the courtroom, it's pretty rudimentary, and the drafts are a lot rougher than medical transcription because medical dictation is done in a controlled environment whereas legal audio is more varied, especially when transcribing for the criminal court. Defendants don't train the voice engine. :) Even repeat offenders.

The deadlines are generally much longer. I may get a four-hour parole hearing with a 30-day deadline that pays me $450.

To get into legal, you pretty much have to push your way through. Look for a place that will train you. They like it if you have a college education or something that indicates you are brighter than the average bear.

There are schools out there, but be wary. If you feel you really want to go to school, I would stay away from for-profit schools, and take a course at a local technical school.

I think Allegis and E-scribers may be hiring now for legal. I'm not sure if they're hiring trainees right now.

You can do coding and cancer registry work from home also, and those are excellent careers, but there's a lot of training involved.

If you want to get a work-at-home job, this is the right season for it. You could try to get on with someone who is hiring for the holidays, and then try to stay on after that.

Hope this helps.

Anne

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)