Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Other (non-medical) transcription... - Still cranky, still on the beach

Posted: Nov 18th, 2019 - 11:36 pm In Reply to: How do I get started? - Heather

But before I get to that... I actually went to school for cancer registry and finished everything but the practicum, and then realized I really didn't like it. Plus, I would have had to relocate to take a job.

Onward. Here's a way to find out whether you even have an aptitude for transcription, i.e. whether you can make the ears-to-fingers connection successfully. I'm not posting a link because that can be problematic on this board. Google Crowdsurf, read the instructions, and apply to take the test. If you pass, you can start transcribing short audio clips. It's a pretty rudimentary platform and it doesn't pay very well, but it's a good way, again, to see whether you have the basic skills needed for transcription.

And no, I don't get any kind of bonus for referring people.

I am a mostly-retired medical transcriptionist with 47 years of experience and a formal CMT credential, and when I left my last acute care job, I was not even making minimum wage, mostly because the work had dried up, but they had also cut our pay. I've heard things have only gotten worse there in the intervening years. So I agree with the recommendation NOT to try to become an MT, for all the reasons the other folks have mentioned, but also the fact that newbies have to compete for the remaining few jobs with experienced MTs who have been at it for decades.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)