Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

This OP - can she type? sm

Posted: Nov 17th, 2019 - 10:42 am In Reply to: Run from MT work - Horrible job

First off, the typing needs to be at least 65 words per minute if not way more. Also, you need to be able to listen to the dictation and put it in some sort of program while you're typing.

There is eye/hand coordination plus a thought process that goes into this profession.

She asked where to start? Honestly, you'd need, again, at least a typing class for proper finger placement. You also need to know how to actually use the equipment such as a headset and foot pedal or at least speakers and use of hot keys to play, fast forward, and rewind the dictation.

You can do a medical transcription program and get a start on all these fundamentals. However, not many hire new MTs, so you'd be really bottom barrel in pay and your choices that's if anyone will even hire you. If I were you, I'd do research on the best school if you are truly interested.

I'm not sure what you mean about fitting your schedule though. I can tell you that in the MT field and even other transcription entities, you kind of have to be flexible and be there when the work is there for you. There is no guarantee that when you see fit to sit down, the work is sitting there.

I honestly can only think of one company off the top of my head that lets you work when you want, but, again, you sit down and there's nothing to do. As an independent contractor, you don't get the luxury of a constant stream and the companies are in their right not to have to provide it. Most companies require set hours even as an independent contractor, which is wrong, but they do it anyway.

As an employee, they are supposed to be provide work during your set hours, but most times they do not and will ask you to flex your time, meaning come back and keep checking for work. You can sometimes use vacation time for lack of work.

As you can see, it's not really the type of profession where you can pick and choose when you're going to sit down and type, as nothing is a given.

The other down trot is that you will get used to your dictators, be flowing along, and then bam, those dictators are all gone and no one can tell you why or they blame the holiday season or it's summertime, or the wind shifted, etc. I think you get the picture as to why so many are saying don't do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)