Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

M*Modal

Corgi, I agree - Could be my story exactly

Posted: May 17th, 2016 - 9:09 pm In Reply to: my take for what it is worth - corgi

I started a little later, 20 years ago with mini-cassettes, but the rest could be mine. Well said! And the part about mistake after mistake looking at previous reports, I see it and I feel much as you do.

I don't know what happened to us. I just cannot make any sense of sending transcription to people who don't speak English as a first language, nevermind medical language.

How did it ever come to this, that we are not valued and paid fairly anymore? How is it that those mistakes are now OK? OK enough to not pay those of us with experience and let the profession die off, as we all retire, or in the case of those of us in our late 40s/early 50s, are forced into different careers that pay what this one used to pay?

Sometimes I think one day the medical corporate powers-that-be will wake up to the value of their old transcriptionists, will see that us + electronic medical records would have equaled happier physicians, rare mistakes, safer and better patient care. Had they just held onto us and let us transcribe into the electronic medical record, the way we did for MModal 8 years ago, or even given us ASR and paid us well and let us edit at the same pay. We all know that editing is just as time consuming, and in some ways harder, than straight typing. Better for carpal tunnel, maybe, but otherwise it is worth the same... worth paying for skill, speed, and efficiency.

We know that people who speak English as a second language can only rarely do this as well as we do. We know that turning this work over to unskilled workers making minimum wage can lead to nothing but trouble.

But maybe no one will wake up and it is only going to be enough patients dying, or maybe enough physicians burned out on having to type endlessly into the EMR when they used to be using that time to see patients, that will get anyone to sit up and question where things went wrong.

Physicians ARE burned out by the current EMR demands. I bet most all of them would go back to transcriptionists (and not ILPs, but US, highly skilled transcriptionists capable of magically, without altering anything much at all, making them sound absolutely brilliant) in a heartbeat. I wonder if corporate America will ever listen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)