A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is anyone aware of the Trade Adjustment Assistance Act? - sm

Posted: Jun 12, 2012

I just found out about this government program.  From what I understand, it helps those who have lost all or part of their hours/income due to outsourcing of their profession, especially us older workers who need to retrain in order to reenter the workforce in another field.  

It looks to me like Medical Transcriptionists should fit their description, and we should be eligible for some funding to get some training!  

The catch is, in order to file, you have to have at least 3 people from a particular company file.  No one has filed from Nuance yet.  Is anyone else interested in exploring this opportunity?  Please email me at the anonymous email I have set up and if we get any kind of response, we can look into filling this information out and moving forward with our lives! 

http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/ 

I could only find 1 other transcription company that had previously filed, and those workers were approved and able to get funding for school!  It sounds promising to me! 

only know of supervisors who were approved - no MTs

[ In Reply To ..]
Some supervisors filed at MedQuist and they were approved, but have not heard of any MTs that were able to reap the benefits.

Also, I was told when I tried that you have to be laid off or have a letter from company with a lay off date, not just your work reduced.

There are actually 3 petitions on file for Medquist at this website - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
And it looks as if 2 of the 3 are approved . The third one says it is still being determined. It does not specify whether these people had to be employees or supervisors, it specifies "all workers." So anyone else that was employed by Medquist (and a ton of other companies involved with Medquist, like M*Model, Robert Half, OfficeTeam, etc) before this petition met its deadline would have been eligible. And these workers had to become "totally or
partially separated from employment" -- not completely laid off. Here is the determination: http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/taa/taadecisions/taadecision.cfm?taw=81128

That leads me to believe that other transcription companies would end up with the same decision.

Thank You sm for sharing that information - hypertyper

[ In Reply To ..]
This strongly encourages me that there is still a chance we can get some help with retraining and unemployment pay we all deserve. Thanks again.

that is not what they told me - when I applied

[ In Reply To ..]
Additionally, there is so much paperwork that is completely unrelated and confusing, it makes it impossible to follow.
Hey, we read for a living. An attorney/paralegal who deals with government - programs would be very helpful since
[ In Reply To ..]
the right word in the right blank, or lack of a wrong one, can make all the difference. Such a shame so many applying for programs would need to sell the old car to pay for the services, but if the math showed it'd be worth the investment... And often it's very, very worth it. Like when being denied disability when you genuinely need it.
Well, I still think this is worth pursuing. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Just because ONE govt employee gave you a "no" answer doesn't mean across the board this is a dead issue. I'm sure you know as well as I do that in many cases, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing in govt jobs. Unless you actually went thru the petitioning process and got your denial that way, I would still hold out hope that this was something we could pursue. And if other MTs were successful, why couldn't we be successful also?

Trade Act deadline for applications - AnnieOakley

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds very interesting. Looked at website, said deadline for applications was May 24, 2012. Any other possibilities?

TRADE ACT - CrazyMama

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately I do not work for Nuance, but I might be able to get something going where I do work. Thanks for the info.

Similar Messages:

TAA - Trade Adjustment Assistance
Jan 06, 2010

this is great news for Mt Laurel New Jersey.  Are there any other offices who have done this?  they actually qualified and that means they have set a precedence.  Everyone who is struggling with Medical Transcription right now either losing their jobs or (sounds like) had their hours cut should check into this... From the website:  TAA Decision 72153 Note: Determinations for this case number, this case number with an alphabetic suffix, and any appeals or amendments ...

Attitude Adjustment
May 11, 2015

I DREAD Monday's.  Coming back to see yet mandatory OT.  I am so tired.  It's all I can do to sit here 8 hours a day and now 9 or more.  I try to be positive but when I see the jobs I get, forget it.  Same &*%#, different day.  Wish we could get the doctors to care.  It would be great if  the sound quality would improve.  Static on line, turning away from mike, etc.  I am losing my hearing fast.  Turn the volume all the way, ...

Question About IMEDX Min Wage Adjustment (sm)
Feb 03, 2015

On clocking out today, my min wage adjustment went up.  How is it possible that they know what it should be for the entire pay period 2/1 to 2/15.  I'm sure I've made more than MW.  This is just baffling.   ...

Needing Some Assistance Here
Apr 12, 2013

What are the key combinations for immediately getting out of a wrong key, know it has to do with a Z but do not remember the rest of the alt or whatever. Thanks. ...

Education Assistance
May 30, 2013

I am looking to go back to school to train in accounting. I thought I had seen in the past people talking about some education assistance we would be eligible for since work was going overseas (or something along those lines). Does anybody know where to get more information on this? Thanks! ...

MQCentral Employee Assistance
Aug 27, 2010

Has anyone here ever used this "service"?   Just wondering if I should give it a try, I'm feeling at the end of my rope here.  I need this job, a job, and want to be able to handle the new stressors and cope with all these changes in the industry.    I'm not a newbie either, been here through thick and thin over the years, and lately I find myself typing and crying at the same time, feeling so fearful of my future at my age.  Maybe I'm developing some ty ...

Dictaphone ExText - Urgent Assistance Pls!
May 27, 2015

Is Windows 7 Home Premium/Word 2010 compatible with this platform?  They say that Windows 7 Professional/Word 2000, 2003, and 2007 are compatible.  Thanks for your expert assistance!  :)  ...

Medquist Workers Eligible For Federal Assistance
Nov 10, 2009

WEBSITE BELOW http://newsok.com/medquist-workers-eligible-for-fed-assistance/article/3415214 MedQuist workers eligible for fed assistance FROM STAFF REPORTS    Comments 0 Published: November 7, 2009 The Labor Department report concluded that all MedQuist employees, including those working at home, who became "totally or partially separated from employment” after Aug. 26, 2008, are eligible to apply for the assistance. Read more: http://newsok.com/medquist-worke ...

Today Is Payday, And I Just Applied For Govt Assistance
Oct 20, 2011

MAJOR VENT.  My paycheck from MQ was deposited into my account today and it just sent me into a panic.  Pay days are NOT supposed to feel like this - they are not supposed to cause you to put your head down on your desk and cry.  They are not supposed to be like this.  For the first time EVER I won't be able to pay my rent.  I'm a single mom, I've worked full-time with MQ for 14 years, I'm an MME (supposedly at the top of my career game) and I can� ...

Just A Little Help In Case You Werent Aware Of It
Mar 06, 2012

A lot of the standards are single spaced, whether they are supposed to be or not.. if you go to the top panel there are a pair of binoculars the icon NEXT to it on the right is a find and replace feature,,,you can type in any say word that is consistently wrong and then type it correctly in the replace box and it will fix the whole document...Same can be done for punctuation put in there .  (one space)  and in the find replace put the .  (two spaces) and hit the button, fixe ...

Anyone Aware Nuance Has Gotten Rid Of Transcription
Jan 13, 2015

for the Kaleida Health System and will no longer be using MTs at all soon, they are using templates and the doctors will be editing their own reports, and this is for the entire system as radiology has already been phased out. this must be similar to MModal's voice 'understanding' not just recognition. it is tied into the EHR and can create reports from templates based on the electronic health records. it knows when a doctor dictates an error and will flag it, and all the doctor ...

Do You Think MQ Suits Are Aware Of The Tammy Post And
Nov 03, 2011

x ...

MT Roll In Malpractice Prevention - Are They Aware? (sm)
Oct 01, 2012

When I worked for several clients as a contractor for about 20 years, I don't think a day ever passed that I didn't make corrections to doctors who were exhausted or on auto pilot who made dictation errors that could cost them a fortune in a malpractice suit. It was right corrected to left breast, making sure the woman didn't have a surgical history of prostatectomy, nor a man having a TAH BSO, making sure allergies went where they would be noticed, and knowing when they were dic ...

American Health Connection - Be Aware
Feb 09, 2015

I was hired by American Health Connection as a patient scheduler. I was sent an offer letter which I signed and then an email came with several forms to complete. Once had to be notarized, so I mailed everything back priority rate. Then, another email came with more attachments. Within those attachments, was a training reimbursement agreement that I was required to sign that said that if I quit the job prior to 6 months on the job I would have to pay $2,500 to the company. I have never in my lif ...

Patient Is To Be Aware Of Incontinence As This Could Indicate S/l Acato Quino Syndrome. Thanks!!
Jan 04, 2010

x ...

Finally Got Through Support. Says They're Aware Of The Problem But Doesn't Know How Long
Jun 18, 2012

~ ...

Trade Act/TAA
Dec 17, 2009

Has anyone investigated MQ's TAA petition?  I just read about it a minute ago and wondered...sounds too good to be true ...

Trade-act
Apr 16, 2010

The trade-act is only for those who are laid off or who suffer as much as 7 consecutive days without work due to offshoring.  Does everyone have that understanding or did I miss something?  Thanks! ...

Trade Act
May 13, 2013

Can someone please give me some info on where to find out this info and petition number.  Thank you. ...

Anyone Answer Ad Posted In March For Company STAT Transcription, Inc--be Aware
Jun 14, 2013

I sent my resume in and just heard back last week asking if I was still interested. She sent a brief little word document with some account specs, cpl and paydates--no contract, HIPAA agreement, etc. I did three voice files the first day. She sent back a copy of my transcription, supposedly with corrections, but there were no QA markings or corrections. I did 15 voice files the next day and again she sent back a copy of my transcription with no obvious corrections. I asked her how I was sup ...

Can You Trade Your Own Work
Aug 05, 2010

I have a job. I do not want it. I am sick of being an MT. There are newbies who want to be an MT. I want to help a newbie. I got offered 3 jobs and took this one, and I still don't want it. Newbies get offered no jobs. I wish I could fix this. Here I am with an unwanted job, and wanting to help a newbie, and there is nothing to do about it!! I would love to explain medical terminology and VR and the ins and outs of production work, I just do NOT want to do it myself any more!! Where ca ...

New To VR - Need Some Tricks Of The Trade!
Apr 04, 2011

Been working with VR since last October.  After rebuilding shorthand file and adding words to autocorrect for the last 5 months, I feel those items are no longer a insignificant factor hampering my production.  Sadly, I'm finding I'm not as productive as I need to be in order to make a living. Anyone have any VR tricks to increase production?  I'm headed to the poor house if I don't get this figured out soon! Truly appreciate any help you can o ...

TAA (Trade Act) Information
Jan 14, 2013

I am looking for any Axolotl MTs who have been let go within the last year to sign a petition with me:  http://www.labor.ny.gov/workforcenypartners/taaforms/taa-petition.pdf It does nothing against the employer; in fact, they usually support the act.   There need to be at least 3 workers to sign before it can be submitted.   I hope every MT who has lost their jobs has applied for this...  MQ is on their list already, as is United HealthGroup (only not for MT).  Plea ...

Anyone Know Anything About The Trade Act Petition?
Dec 16, 2013

Got a call today from the Dept of Labor and the nice lady said I was entitled to educational benefits of $27,000.00 and/or if I got a job for, let's say, $10.00 an hour "they" would pay me $5 more because of something to do with MModal and NA Free Trade; that MModal was "adversely effected" (her words) because of outsourcing----that Americans are now missing out on jobs, etc., ect.....Really didn't know what to make of all what she was saying, but I told her to send me the paperwork. S ...

Trade Act Petition
Apr 02, 2014

New petition # is 85182. It is currently awaiting a decision. Our previous petition expired the end of March. Hopefully the new petition will be approved. ...

Trade Act News About Medquist
Dec 24, 2009

I spoke to a representative of the Trade Act in person today to ask some questions.  I learned this and want to share it to help empower those who feel hopeless this season: -All states are participating in the Trade Act.  -There was an old version of the Trade Act which necessitated that you be laid off by your company to benefit with the Trade Act.  The new version (ending with #7, not #6) starting in February 2009 allows those still working to enroll in the program. -Medquis ...

Can Someone Re-post That Trade Act Petition.
Jan 11, 2010

I tried looking it up in search mode and cannot find it, yet I know I saw it posted here not too long ago.  Thanks! ...

Investigation Of 3 MQ Workers Of The Trade Act?
Mar 13, 2010

Medquist, Inc., Norcross, GA; Notice of Termination of Investigation Mar 12, 2010 (FIND, Inc. via COMTEX) -- Pursuant to Section 223 of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended, an investigation was initiated in response to a petition filed on November 19, 2009, by three workers on behalf of workers of MedQuist, Inc., Norcross, Georgia. The petitioning group of workers is covered by an active certification, (TA-W-72,153) which expires on September 22, 2011. Consequently, further investigation in thi ...

Angioplasty Balloon Trade Name
Jul 28, 2011

S/l doctor is dictating Ar mot ta balloon...my brain is fried.  Any ideas?   ...

Medquist Has Been Certified Under The TAA, Or Trade Act, Program
Oct 22, 2009

Medquist has been certified under the TAA, or Trade Act, Program.  This means that former Medquist employees who lost their jobs can get funds to go to school as well as help paying for their COBRA premiums.  They need to go to their local Workforce center to apply.  Here's the site:  http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/ ...