A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone know anything about the Trade Act Petition? - LaidOffAugust

Posted: Dec 16, 2013

Got a call today from the Dept of Labor and the nice lady said I was entitled to educational benefits of $27,000.00 and/or if I got a job for, let's say, $10.00 an hour "they" would pay me $5 more because of something to do with MModal and NA Free Trade; that MModal was "adversely effected" (her words) because of outsourcing----that Americans are now missing out on jobs, etc., ect.....Really didn't know what to make of all what she was saying, but I told her to send me the paperwork. She said anyone working for MModal that gets laid off is entitled to this.

Go for it! What state are you in? - info

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/taa/taa_search_form.cfm

petition # 81128

Trade Act Petition - LaidOffAugust

[ In Reply To ..]
It seems too good to be true. $27,000.00 just like that? Who's pocket is it coming out of, do you know?

They - do

[ In Reply To ..]
not just hand you $27,000, but that would be what the total benefits would be worth that you can obtain. It is coming out of your pocket and my pocket, the taxpayers. Instead of making the companies pay for this stuff, our government set up a program to help us losing our jobs to offshoring. Even though I am receiving benefits from TRA, I have written my representatives and let them know how I feel about this. I believe if legislation made them pay for retraining and so forth, you would not see as much of it. You should do the same. We, by not speaking up, let this stuff happen.

You - are

[ In Reply To ..]
entitled to it even if you aren't laid off. I am going to school right now and getting partial UE due to lack of work. If you are laid off, that is even better, it's cut and dry instead of having to prove, like I did, the loss of wages. With the part about the wages. Let's say you were making $15 and hour with MModal and you find a job making $10, they (TRA) will pay you half of what you are losing, or in this case $2.50 and hour. You have to be 50 or over to get this. If you want to go to school, they will pay for two years of training and you will get UE/TAA for that period of time. UE pays then TAA takes over after that. It works out total to about 131 weeks. They have a lot of things they will help you with depending on what you want to do. Definitely go for it, even if you don't want to go to school.

why 50 and over? - discriminatory

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Thanks for the info! - LaidOffAugust

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, like the other poster, wondering why you have to be 50 or older. But not sure I want to go to school, though the lady said it pays for online courses too. That I might do. Thinking of going for coding but at this point I don't know if I can do it. Seems daunting. Wish I could just collect Unemployment and be left alone, at this point. Thanks again.

I - am

[ In Reply To ..]
doing online courses, so yes they do cover that. Not sure why on the over 50 (that's just what I was told), maybe ask them. Well, you can get UE and be left alone if that's what you want, but you have until March to file for TRA on this petition and I would consider it. Even if you don't want to go to school, there are things to help. I'm not sure of the time limit, but if you don't want to go to school now, but decide later on to, you will be able to. Again, not sure of the time limit, you can ask them. With being laid off, you would definitely qualify without the hassle I had to go through with being underemployed. Think of it this way, you have nothing to lose except a little time and possibly something to gain. It is your choice though.

All I can say is lay me off please - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This would be perfect for me. I want to go back to school but cant afford it. And I want out of here. How do I get laid off is the question. Line counts have dropped with this new upgrade and the mess it brought with it. I hate waking up and turning on the computer.

I was like you....waiting patiently to be laid off.... - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
I wasn't about to quit. I wanted them to pay for my UE. Finally I was laid off in August.

Do you really have to be 50? Haven't - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
heard of this requirement. If so, darn--I'm 49 and a half and was laid off in August. : (

You do not have to be 50 to to sign up - for TRA -

[ In Reply To ..]
Just the one part of it where if you find a job paying less than you were here, they match half of what you are losing.

Just my experience - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not as good as it sounds if you are single and going to school. The TAA pays for your school, books and some supplies/parking fees. However, if you are on TAA, you can't take out loans and if you have grants, some of those grants you can't receive if you have the TAA funds. So please be sure to check out all of the details and be sure it is something you can manage financially. I ended up being better off not taking the TAA benefits. However, I can still use them on something else (certification, etc) Hope that helps.

Just - curious

[ In Reply To ..]
why would you need loans if they are paying for school?

To all above helpful posters...thanks. - LaidOffAugust

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your insights. I guess it doesn't hurt to sign up and then possibly use it in the future. The lady did say something to that effect. She wanted to meet with me, but that would be in Paterson (a very, very rough neighborhood) so I said no, and she's sending me the paperwork. I would like to do coding but have no idea what the schooling for that would be like and yes, maybe I can do an online course for certification, just for the heck of it. I wish it wasn't taxpayers money. MModal should pay! The politicians rarely think anything through and everything sounds too good to be true. Good luck to all of you.....and the one who poster she wishes she would get laid off...that day may come and I am SO glad mine came in August. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Similar Messages:

Trade Act Petition
Apr 02, 2014

New petition # is 85182. It is currently awaiting a decision. Our previous petition expired the end of March. Hopefully the new petition will be approved. ...

Can Someone Re-post That Trade Act Petition.
Jan 11, 2010

I tried looking it up in search mode and cannot find it, yet I know I saw it posted here not too long ago.  Thanks! ...

PETITION: Everyone Needs To Sign This Petition
Sep 04, 2013

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-sending-our-medical-records-offshore/B8mSk5hN ...

Trade Act/TAA
Dec 17, 2009

Has anyone investigated MQ's TAA petition?  I just read about it a minute ago and wondered...sounds too good to be true ...

Trade-act
Apr 16, 2010

The trade-act is only for those who are laid off or who suffer as much as 7 consecutive days without work due to offshoring.  Does everyone have that understanding or did I miss something?  Thanks! ...

Trade Act
May 13, 2013

Can someone please give me some info on where to find out this info and petition number.  Thank you. ...

Can You Trade Your Own Work
Aug 05, 2010

I have a job. I do not want it. I am sick of being an MT. There are newbies who want to be an MT. I want to help a newbie. I got offered 3 jobs and took this one, and I still don't want it. Newbies get offered no jobs. I wish I could fix this. Here I am with an unwanted job, and wanting to help a newbie, and there is nothing to do about it!! I would love to explain medical terminology and VR and the ins and outs of production work, I just do NOT want to do it myself any more!! Where ca ...

New To VR - Need Some Tricks Of The Trade!
Apr 04, 2011

Been working with VR since last October.  After rebuilding shorthand file and adding words to autocorrect for the last 5 months, I feel those items are no longer a insignificant factor hampering my production.  Sadly, I'm finding I'm not as productive as I need to be in order to make a living. Anyone have any VR tricks to increase production?  I'm headed to the poor house if I don't get this figured out soon! Truly appreciate any help you can o ...

TAA (Trade Act) Information
Jan 14, 2013

I am looking for any Axolotl MTs who have been let go within the last year to sign a petition with me:  http://www.labor.ny.gov/workforcenypartners/taaforms/taa-petition.pdf It does nothing against the employer; in fact, they usually support the act.   There need to be at least 3 workers to sign before it can be submitted.   I hope every MT who has lost their jobs has applied for this...  MQ is on their list already, as is United HealthGroup (only not for MT).  Plea ...

Trade Act News About Medquist
Dec 24, 2009

I spoke to a representative of the Trade Act in person today to ask some questions.  I learned this and want to share it to help empower those who feel hopeless this season: -All states are participating in the Trade Act.  -There was an old version of the Trade Act which necessitated that you be laid off by your company to benefit with the Trade Act.  The new version (ending with #7, not #6) starting in February 2009 allows those still working to enroll in the program. -Medquis ...

TAA - Trade Adjustment Assistance
Jan 06, 2010

this is great news for Mt Laurel New Jersey.  Are there any other offices who have done this?  they actually qualified and that means they have set a precedence.  Everyone who is struggling with Medical Transcription right now either losing their jobs or (sounds like) had their hours cut should check into this... From the website:  TAA Decision 72153 Note: Determinations for this case number, this case number with an alphabetic suffix, and any appeals or amendments ...

Investigation Of 3 MQ Workers Of The Trade Act?
Mar 13, 2010

Medquist, Inc., Norcross, GA; Notice of Termination of Investigation Mar 12, 2010 (FIND, Inc. via COMTEX) -- Pursuant to Section 223 of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended, an investigation was initiated in response to a petition filed on November 19, 2009, by three workers on behalf of workers of MedQuist, Inc., Norcross, Georgia. The petitioning group of workers is covered by an active certification, (TA-W-72,153) which expires on September 22, 2011. Consequently, further investigation in thi ...

Angioplasty Balloon Trade Name
Jul 28, 2011

S/l doctor is dictating Ar mot ta balloon...my brain is fried.  Any ideas?   ...

Medquist Has Been Certified Under The TAA, Or Trade Act, Program
Oct 22, 2009

Medquist has been certified under the TAA, or Trade Act, Program.  This means that former Medquist employees who lost their jobs can get funds to go to school as well as help paying for their COBRA premiums.  They need to go to their local Workforce center to apply.  Here's the site:  http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/ ...

I Visited One-Stop And Asked About Trade Act
Nov 03, 2009

I decided to look into the benefits of the Trade Act which apparently includes only some states but which MQ has been qualified for.  I'm not yet unemployed but need to at least feel prepared.  I live in California so was given the name and number of the person in charge in my part of the state.  I also picked the brains of the One-Stop personnel about career changes.  They are a WEALTH of information, including 2 excellent websites:  www.edd.ca.gov www.onlin ...

Is Anyone Aware Of The Trade Adjustment Assistance Act?
Jun 12, 2012

I just found out about this government program.  From what I understand, it helps those who have lost all or part of their hours/income due to outsourcing of their profession, especially us older workers who need to retrain in order to reenter the workforce in another field.   It looks to me like Medical Transcriptionists should fit their description, and we should be eligible for some funding to get some training!   The catch is, in order to file, you have to have at least 3 pe ...

TAA Petition =
Jan 21, 2010

As suggested the other day, I e-mailed my TAA regional director since all I was getting from my One-Stop Career Center person & UI was that I needed a letter stating a lay off date or that there was an imminent threat of lay off. She sent me a note, then cc'd my e-mail to my state director.  Here are their responses: Regional:  You would need a qualifying separation in order to be eligible for Trade benefits as you have not been determined to be an adversely affected incumbe ...

Does Anyone Know If There Has Been A TAA Petition
Aug 16, 2013

filed with the DOL for Nuance employees?  I know MModal has one and lots of their employees, both past and present, are taking advantage of the schooling and other benefits.  If not filed for Nuance employees could we model one after the MModal petition?  Anybody have any information?  ...

Petition (sm)
Apr 02, 2014

Petition for Joint Commission to change standards in health care documentation.  This was created by an MT.  ...

Sign The Petition
Jun 20, 2011

I found a petition to sign against sending work offshore.  Its at ataus.org (American Transcription Assocation).  You do  not have to be a member to sign it.  Does anyone else know about any petitions?  ...

Petition To Retain Value Of MT
Mar 13, 2011

http://www.ahdi-west.org/advocacy/petition-letter-to-legislators/ ...

We All Need To Sign This Petition If We Want
Nov 30, 2012

It only takes a minute of your time, and your MT career is on the line. ...

Petition To Keep Jobs In USA
Dec 08, 2012

http://wh.gov/Nz78 This looks a lot like one posted here a couple weeks ago. It's on a facebook page. It says it takes 150 signatures within 30 days for it to go live on the White House website. I see you have to register to sign, but I just did, and it only takes a minute. Please sign. We need to try to do something about losing our jobs to other countries. ...

Petition #81128
Feb 08, 2013

Everyone who is trade affected due to work being shifted to India with reduced hours is potentially eligible under this petition at http://doleta.gov/tradeact  I met with a representative today who encouraged me to tell other workers in this situation about the possible benefits from the department of labor.   Contact your state office to find out if you qualify.  It offers potential benefits for retraining in another occupation that has expected growth potential as wel ...

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION
Feb 13, 2013

A petition to the White House for bringing our work back! https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/bring-back-all-united-states-medical-record-transcription-be-performed-only-us-us-medical/TJzSQpZq Once this is through we need one to nix SR!!!! ...

Question About The Petition
Aug 20, 2013

I can't find what I want to know on the site. Who's going to deliver it and to whom? What's the end-goal figure for signatures?  I know the new goal on there is 200, but I can't believe whoever is in charge of it is going to stop there, are they? ...

When Does The TAA Petition Expire?
Aug 21, 2013

x ...

Signing The Petition
Sep 05, 2013

I want to sign the petition to stop offshoring, and also put it on my FB page for others to see, but I'm worried my company is monitoring this and will find a reason to fire me. Are others worried about this? ...

Signing Petition Against Offshoring
Oct 16, 2010

Google American Transcription Association and go to their website and they have a petition that you can sign that is against offshoring ...

Please Sign This Petition Letter Re: MT
Dec 26, 2010

http://www.ahdi-west.org/advocacy/petition-letter-to-legislators/ All MTs who want this to continue to be a viable career, please go read this letter and electronically sign it  If they get enough sigs, they can submit the petition. Can't hurt.  ...