A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medquist has been certified under the TAA, or Trade Act, Program - sm

Posted: Oct 22, 2009

Medquist has been certified under the TAA, or Trade Act, Program.  This means that former Medquist employees who lost their jobs can get funds to go to school as well as help paying for their COBRA premiums.  They need to go to their local Workforce center to apply.  Here's the site:  http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/

Is there a list of what kind of jobs they'll retrain you for? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

job training/education - taa gal

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm pretty sure you can get into any program you want. You can receive up to 3 years of training and cash payments, plus 80% of your insurance premiums! Here's the contact info: http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/contacts.cfm
Down at the bottom of this page you can download a brochure that explains the program http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/
Everyone should definitely check into this!

Wow, that's really good information. - Worker Bee

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't even know that program existed. It's sad that there has to be a program for Americans who lose their jobs because of outsourcing, isn't it?

Trade Act Program - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This is an awesome program. Want to hear something ironic though? I went back to college 20 years ago under this act to be a medical transcriptionist, and I just got laid off! How ironic is that? Now I just have to decide if I want to continue being an MT and risk losing yet another job to off-shoring of our work!

Were you laid off from MQ?? - Worker Bee

[ In Reply To ..]
Or from someplace else?

I'm sorry to hear you're out of a job. Good luck to you.

Trade Act Program - MT17

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, I typed in the wrong nickname. No I was not laid off from MQ, but I do read all you MTs have to say and let me tell you that it sounds exactly like the same company I was just laid off from! I feel your pain! I have been a MT for close to 20 years and I was just about insane from all the bad audio, bad dictators, ESL after ESL.....etc. Sorry, if I butted in on your board, but I wanted you to know you are not alone....it is happening a lot of other places to. No respect anymore ya know?!
Trade Act Program - Worker Bee
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't get me wrong, I was just curious thinking you were laid off from MQ. It looks like the Q is trying to hire as many bodies as they can to make up for all the people who quit!

I agree with you that it's getting very, very bad (sound quality, ESL, off-shoring the good dictation and leaving us with the crap). From what I read on other boards, it's equally bad with almost all companies, although MQ has the reputation for cheating its clients as well as MTs. Those are things that are not likely to be forgotten - and shouldn't be.

If you're eligible, they will contact you - believe me! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Here's more info on this ... Losing work & workers due to offshoring - to India...sm

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/taa/taadecisions/taadecision.cfm?taw=72153

TAA Decision 72153

Note: Determinations for this case number, this case number with an alphabetic suffix, and any appeals or amendments appear below.

DEPARTMENT OF LABOR

Employment and Training Administration

TA-W-72,153

MEDQUIST, INC.
INCLUDING WORKERS THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES REPORTING TO
MOUNT LAUREL, NEW JERSEY

Certification Regarding Eligibility
To Apply for Worker Adjustment Assistance

In accordance with Section 223 of the Trade Act of 1974, as
amended ("Act"), 19 U.S.C. § 2273, the Department of Labor
herein presents the results of an investigation regarding
certification of eligibility to apply for worker adjustment
assistance.
The group eligibility requirements for workers of a firm
under Section 222(a) of the Act, 19 U.S.C. § 2272(a), are
satisfied if the following criteria are met:
I. The first criterion (set forth in Section 222(a)(1) of the
Act, 19 U.S.C. § 2272(a)(1)) requires that a significant
number or proportion of the workers in the workers' firm
must have become totally or partially separated or be
threatened with total or partial separation.

II. The second criterion (set forth in Section 222(a)(2) of the
Act, 19 U.S.C. § 2272(a)(2)) may be satisfied if either:

(i)(I) there has been a shift by the workers' firm to a
foreign country in the production of articles or
supply of services like or directly competitive with
those produced/supplied by the workers' firm; OR
(i)(II) there has been an acquisition from a foreign
country by the workers' firm of articles/services that
are like or directly competitive with those
produced/supplied by the workers' firm.

III. The third criterion requires that the shift/acquisition
must have contributed importantly to the workers'
separation or threat of separation. See Section
222(a)(2)(B)(ii) of the Act, 19 U.S.C. §
2272(a)(2)(B)(ii).

The investigation was initiated in response to a petition
filed on August 28, 2009 by the Oregon State Workforce Office
on behalf of workers of MedQuist, Inc., Mount Laurel, New
Jersey. The workers are engaged in providing medical
transcription services. The worker group includes workers
throughout the United States reporting to Mount Laurel, New
Jersey.
The investigation revealed that workers of MedQuist, Inc.,
Mount Laurel, New Jersey, who are engaged in employment
related to the supply of medical transcription services, meet
the criteria for certification.
Criterion I has been met because at least five percent of
the workers have become separated during the relevant period.
Criterion II has been satisfied because the workers' firm
has acquired from India services like or directly competitive
with the medical transcription services supplied by the
workers' firm.
Criterion III has been met because the acquisition of
medical transcription services by MedQuist, Inc. from India
contributed importantly to home based worker group separations
at MedQuist, Inc., Mount Laurel, New Jersey.
Conclusion
After careful review of the facts obtained in the
investigation, I determine that workers of MedQuist, Inc., Mount
Laurel, New Jersey, who are engaged in employment related to the
supply of medical transcription services, meet the worker group
certification criteria under Section 222(a) of the Act, 19
U.S.C. § 2272(a). In accordance with Section 223 of the Act, 19
U.S.C. § 2273, I make the following certification:
"All workers of MedQuist, Inc., Mount Laurel, New Jersey
including workers at home sites throughout the United
States, who became totally or partially separated from
employment on or after August 27, 2008, through two years
from the date of certification, and all workers in the
group threatened with total or partial separation from
employment on date of certification through two years from
the date of certification, are eligible to apply for
adjustment assistance under Chapter 2 of Title II of the
Trade Act of 1974, as amended."
Signed in Washington, D.C., this 22nd day of September, 2009

/s/ Richard Church

Am I reading this right? It sounds like it includes all of us! - Worker Bee

[ In Reply To ..]
"totally or partially separated" - would that include NJA? Wondering.

lost acct to offshoring - thornbird

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in contact with a recruiter from Kforce who is trying to find something for me, and she says that she is hearing this same story from all the MTs she talks to. I also know for certain now that my CCM was lying to me about my old account. We weren't running out of work because there were no patients. This particular clinic is hopping and hiring new staff all the time. She knows because she knows a lot of the people who work there. But MQ kept sending me the NJA message and entire weeks would go by with no work and no offer to switch me to a new accont. Just continuous lies telling me that things will pick up soon. That never happened and I was forced to request a new account, which of course I got and it's 100% ASR and ESL and totally sucks. So now I'm getting emails from my new CCM saying that there are sometimes NJA and to just "hang in there and hopefully it will pick up soon." Now I know this is a lie because these are Miami area hospitals and there is NO WAY they are hurting for business. The work is being sent to India, but the CCMs wont tell you that. Rather, they just tell you to hang in there, things will pick up, and hopefully new accounts will be coming soon. Niiiice. I used to love this company up until a year ago. Now I'm disgusted with it and can't wait to find something else.

Similar Messages:

Trade Act News About Medquist
Dec 24, 2009

I spoke to a representative of the Trade Act in person today to ask some questions.  I learned this and want to share it to help empower those who feel hopeless this season: -All states are participating in the Trade Act.  -There was an old version of the Trade Act which necessitated that you be laid off by your company to benefit with the Trade Act.  The new version (ending with #7, not #6) starting in February 2009 allows those still working to enroll in the program. -Medquis ...

New Medquist E-mail Program
Nov 24, 2011

There is no "alert" function to this e-mail program.  We can't tell when there is a message for us.  How did the people who created this program expect to get in touch with their employees fast? Today I got several e-mails in a row (because I still had Outlook open), that a stat was in somebody's queue, and asked them to please finish it.  They didn't get an answer, and were getting really desperate.  They wanted to assign it to somebody else.  ...

Capitalization - Is It.. Board Certified Or Board Certified ?
Mar 08, 2011

is it.. Board Certified or board certified ? ...

Trade Act/TAA
Dec 17, 2009

Has anyone investigated MQ's TAA petition?  I just read about it a minute ago and wondered...sounds too good to be true ...

Trade-act
Apr 16, 2010

The trade-act is only for those who are laid off or who suffer as much as 7 consecutive days without work due to offshoring.  Does everyone have that understanding or did I miss something?  Thanks! ...

Trade Act
May 13, 2013

Can someone please give me some info on where to find out this info and petition number.  Thank you. ...

Can You Trade Your Own Work
Aug 05, 2010

I have a job. I do not want it. I am sick of being an MT. There are newbies who want to be an MT. I want to help a newbie. I got offered 3 jobs and took this one, and I still don't want it. Newbies get offered no jobs. I wish I could fix this. Here I am with an unwanted job, and wanting to help a newbie, and there is nothing to do about it!! I would love to explain medical terminology and VR and the ins and outs of production work, I just do NOT want to do it myself any more!! Where ca ...

New To VR - Need Some Tricks Of The Trade!
Apr 04, 2011

Been working with VR since last October.  After rebuilding shorthand file and adding words to autocorrect for the last 5 months, I feel those items are no longer a insignificant factor hampering my production.  Sadly, I'm finding I'm not as productive as I need to be in order to make a living. Anyone have any VR tricks to increase production?  I'm headed to the poor house if I don't get this figured out soon! Truly appreciate any help you can o ...

TAA (Trade Act) Information
Jan 14, 2013

I am looking for any Axolotl MTs who have been let go within the last year to sign a petition with me:  http://www.labor.ny.gov/workforcenypartners/taaforms/taa-petition.pdf It does nothing against the employer; in fact, they usually support the act.   There need to be at least 3 workers to sign before it can be submitted.   I hope every MT who has lost their jobs has applied for this...  MQ is on their list already, as is United HealthGroup (only not for MT).  Plea ...

Anyone Know Anything About The Trade Act Petition?
Dec 16, 2013

Got a call today from the Dept of Labor and the nice lady said I was entitled to educational benefits of $27,000.00 and/or if I got a job for, let's say, $10.00 an hour "they" would pay me $5 more because of something to do with MModal and NA Free Trade; that MModal was "adversely effected" (her words) because of outsourcing----that Americans are now missing out on jobs, etc., ect.....Really didn't know what to make of all what she was saying, but I told her to send me the paperwork. S ...

Trade Act Petition
Apr 02, 2014

New petition # is 85182. It is currently awaiting a decision. Our previous petition expired the end of March. Hopefully the new petition will be approved. ...

Getting Certified
Apr 01, 2013

I'm currently studying my rear off to become certified, CMT license.  Have almost 15 years of experience under my belt doing this but don't want to waste my time if there won't even be a market for us anymore.  Should I keep going?  Is it worth it?  Can't decide. ...

TAA - Trade Adjustment Assistance
Jan 06, 2010

this is great news for Mt Laurel New Jersey.  Are there any other offices who have done this?  they actually qualified and that means they have set a precedence.  Everyone who is struggling with Medical Transcription right now either losing their jobs or (sounds like) had their hours cut should check into this... From the website:  TAA Decision 72153 Note: Determinations for this case number, this case number with an alphabetic suffix, and any appeals or amendments ...

Can Someone Re-post That Trade Act Petition.
Jan 11, 2010

I tried looking it up in search mode and cannot find it, yet I know I saw it posted here not too long ago.  Thanks! ...

Investigation Of 3 MQ Workers Of The Trade Act?
Mar 13, 2010

Medquist, Inc., Norcross, GA; Notice of Termination of Investigation Mar 12, 2010 (FIND, Inc. via COMTEX) -- Pursuant to Section 223 of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended, an investigation was initiated in response to a petition filed on November 19, 2009, by three workers on behalf of workers of MedQuist, Inc., Norcross, Georgia. The petitioning group of workers is covered by an active certification, (TA-W-72,153) which expires on September 22, 2011. Consequently, further investigation in thi ...

Angioplasty Balloon Trade Name
Jul 28, 2011

S/l doctor is dictating Ar mot ta balloon...my brain is fried.  Any ideas?   ...

Getting Certified Without Going To School
Sep 29, 2010

Would it be possible to get certified if you have not attended school?  I have a friend who has worked as a coder for almost 20 years and has never pursued her certification.  Can she just take the test and become certified and still reap the same benefits as someone who completed a course and then became certified?  I am trying to convince her to do it and have even offered to help her study but I wanted to make sure she doesn't have to attend school to do so. ...

If You Are A Certified Coder...
Nov 05, 2011

what other jobs would you be qualified for if by chance coding does disappear. There are quite a few posters saying it will. Thanks ...

Is It Worth Getting Certified?
May 22, 2012

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on becoming a CMT. I have been doing transcription for almost 15 years and I am wondering if I can really make more money if I get my CMT. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. ...

Certified Letter
Apr 30, 2013

Doc is dictating a letter and wants "Certified" in the letter. Can anyone tell me where to place this in the letter? Thanks! ...

I Visited One-Stop And Asked About Trade Act
Nov 03, 2009

I decided to look into the benefits of the Trade Act which apparently includes only some states but which MQ has been qualified for.  I'm not yet unemployed but need to at least feel prepared.  I live in California so was given the name and number of the person in charge in my part of the state.  I also picked the brains of the One-Stop personnel about career changes.  They are a WEALTH of information, including 2 excellent websites:  www.edd.ca.gov www.onlin ...

Is Anyone Aware Of The Trade Adjustment Assistance Act?
Jun 12, 2012

I just found out about this government program.  From what I understand, it helps those who have lost all or part of their hours/income due to outsourcing of their profession, especially us older workers who need to retrain in order to reenter the workforce in another field.   It looks to me like Medical Transcriptionists should fit their description, and we should be eligible for some funding to get some training!   The catch is, in order to file, you have to have at least 3 pe ...

Grads:Certified Ratio
Nov 16, 2010

I am still deciding which coding school will be the best for me.  I was wondering what the grad:certification ratios are for these coding schools.  Does anyone know if this information is available to the general public? ...

ADHI CERTIFIED/EXPERIENCE
Jan 16, 2011

I saw a job posted on line for and MT with two years experience in radiology but ADHI certified is a must.  I have 28 years experience but I am not certified. After 28 years I am still learn new terminology every day.  What makes a company just because someone is certified that they are going to be a great MT?  I see no reason to be certified right now because medical transcription is really dying off.  ...

Certified MT Test/just Wondering
Mar 18, 2011

Just wondering if most/all MT's take the state certification test. I was told that it wasn't neccessary to take the test to get a job, but that it helps. ...

Certified Tumor Registrar
Jun 09, 2011

I have a question, if someone would be so kind. What is the protocol of becoming a Certified Tumor Registrar? Does this happen after one has been coding for awhile? Are there certain credentials? I have researched online and am still confused. Thank you! ...

Certified Letter From Nuance
Sep 21, 2012

I left Nuance a couple of weeks ago and got what i believe is my last check this past pay period and a check for PTO.  I just got a notice of a certified letter from them, any ideas what it could be?   Thanks ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar (CTR)?
May 21, 2014

I just got a flier in the mail from AHIMA about becoming a CTR or Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar.  I have never heard of this and so my curioisty is piqued.  My question is could this be another career or is it another way AHIMA is trying to get money out of us?  I am not sure if the hospitals or clinics in my area would need a CTR but I will also be doing my research!  Thanks! ...

Going Back To School And Getting Certified As A Medical Assistant
Mar 24, 2014

I have been in the field of Education for 23 yrs and have been an Administrator for the past 13. Due to the economy,  schools would rather hire those with no experience and pay them less than seasoned veterans like myself. I have 2 in college and a 10yr old I adopted at birth so I am far from retirement. I am considering going back to school and getting certified as a Medical Assistant (which would include Phlebotomy and X-ray tech) and Medical Billing/Coding or Transcription. I am currently un ...