A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Trade Act news about Medquist - Merry Christmas from poodlepassion

Posted: Dec 24, 2009

I spoke to a representative of the Trade Act in person today to ask some questions.  I learned this and want to share it to help empower those who feel hopeless this season:

-All states are participating in the Trade Act. 

-There was an old version of the Trade Act which necessitated that you be laid off by your company to benefit with the Trade Act.  The new version (ending with #7, not #6) starting in February 2009 allows those still working to enroll in the program.

-Medquist has already been included in the program in case your representative asks.

-The program helps you to find another transcription job or train for another occupation while still working at Medquist.

-The process is this:  Call the representative in your state (Google "Trade Act" or "One Stop" employment in your state).  They'll need information from you like your SS# and mailing address.  They will send you a packet to send in to your state to get you enrolled.  It generally takes 4-6 weeks for them to complete the paperwork.  They will notify you of your benefits after that time. 

-Don't wait to get laid off for any reason.  Be prepared. 

THERE IS LIFE AFTER MEDQUIST.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Trade ACT - bmot

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for sharing. I'm on my last nerve with this MQ and their BS.

Thanks for the info! Now this is a great Christmas - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
present! Hopefully I will get my retraining paid for that I have been doing.

You've been busy - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for sharing. I'm too old to even think about a new career, but I truly hope everyone at the Q takes advantage of this - sooner rather than later.

I'm not exactly a spring chicken. - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
54 - Although not totally ancient, a bit old for starting all over, but I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
I'm over 50 as well. nm - poodlepassion
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You get to choose a career, and if - poodlepassion

[ In Reply To ..]
it is in demand, they will pay for it. I think that's a great deal.

once you go to the one stop site... what to you look for? - how do you get packet?

[ In Reply To ..]
??? I am so slow, I swear.

I look at all of the selections and I have no idea where to go? I am still working, but you said takes 4 to 6 weeks, so what do I do?

Go to the One-Stop location, or call them. . . - poodlepassion

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually visited mine. They have limited hours since California cut back on all their government jobs (now only Mon., Tues., Wed.) They have a myriad of information on career information specific to your state, also websites for comparing salaries and prerequisites for different careers, etc. If you just call them, ask for the person in charge of the Trade Act information. In southern California, there are only 2 for the whole region. One is dedicated to Spanish-speaking people only (!). I called the man responsible a week ago and he finally returned my call today. I told him I work for Medquist, gave him my name, SS# and address. He's going to mail out my packet. He told me to fill it out first and that I would get something from them that says I am enrolled in about 4-6 weeks. At that time I could make an appointment with him that will take about 90 minutes, sort-of an interview to see what I would like to do, and how they can help me. I couldn't believe all of this existed.

thank you - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I went to the One Stop, went through the orientation, spoke to the rep re: TAA over the phone. He told me I needed a separate application from HR, regarding when I will be laid off, etc. Maybe he was not aware of the new TAA law, I will try again. Thank you for sharing.

Trade Act Sounds like cradle-to-grave to me - US "gone rogue MQ MT"

[ In Reply To ..]
I lost total respect for the Q when I learned how they had sent such sensitive info outside the US. Each month my disrespect got worse towards the American MT.

I haven't looked into the Trade Act, but I don't want to live in a cradle-to-grave society--not in America. Not sure what my next move will be, but MQ certainly educated us well in being CYNICAL!

I still say Merry Christmas, which Americans (not CBay) totally understand!

Similar Messages:

Medquist Has Been Certified Under The TAA, Or Trade Act, Program
Oct 22, 2009

Medquist has been certified under the TAA, or Trade Act, Program.  This means that former Medquist employees who lost their jobs can get funds to go to school as well as help paying for their COBRA premiums.  They need to go to their local Workforce center to apply.  Here's the site:  http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/ ...

Transolutions--applied And Tested--no News Good News? Anyone Else Heard? Nm
Mar 10, 2011

nm ...

Trade Act/TAA
Dec 17, 2009

Has anyone investigated MQ's TAA petition?  I just read about it a minute ago and wondered...sounds too good to be true ...

Trade-act
Apr 16, 2010

The trade-act is only for those who are laid off or who suffer as much as 7 consecutive days without work due to offshoring.  Does everyone have that understanding or did I miss something?  Thanks! ...

Trade Act
May 13, 2013

Can someone please give me some info on where to find out this info and petition number.  Thank you. ...

Can You Trade Your Own Work
Aug 05, 2010

I have a job. I do not want it. I am sick of being an MT. There are newbies who want to be an MT. I want to help a newbie. I got offered 3 jobs and took this one, and I still don't want it. Newbies get offered no jobs. I wish I could fix this. Here I am with an unwanted job, and wanting to help a newbie, and there is nothing to do about it!! I would love to explain medical terminology and VR and the ins and outs of production work, I just do NOT want to do it myself any more!! Where ca ...

New To VR - Need Some Tricks Of The Trade!
Apr 04, 2011

Been working with VR since last October.  After rebuilding shorthand file and adding words to autocorrect for the last 5 months, I feel those items are no longer a insignificant factor hampering my production.  Sadly, I'm finding I'm not as productive as I need to be in order to make a living. Anyone have any VR tricks to increase production?  I'm headed to the poor house if I don't get this figured out soon! Truly appreciate any help you can o ...

TAA (Trade Act) Information
Jan 14, 2013

I am looking for any Axolotl MTs who have been let go within the last year to sign a petition with me:  http://www.labor.ny.gov/workforcenypartners/taaforms/taa-petition.pdf It does nothing against the employer; in fact, they usually support the act.   There need to be at least 3 workers to sign before it can be submitted.   I hope every MT who has lost their jobs has applied for this...  MQ is on their list already, as is United HealthGroup (only not for MT).  Plea ...

Anyone Know Anything About The Trade Act Petition?
Dec 16, 2013

Got a call today from the Dept of Labor and the nice lady said I was entitled to educational benefits of $27,000.00 and/or if I got a job for, let's say, $10.00 an hour "they" would pay me $5 more because of something to do with MModal and NA Free Trade; that MModal was "adversely effected" (her words) because of outsourcing----that Americans are now missing out on jobs, etc., ect.....Really didn't know what to make of all what she was saying, but I told her to send me the paperwork. S ...

Trade Act Petition
Apr 02, 2014

New petition # is 85182. It is currently awaiting a decision. Our previous petition expired the end of March. Hopefully the new petition will be approved. ...

TAA - Trade Adjustment Assistance
Jan 06, 2010

this is great news for Mt Laurel New Jersey.  Are there any other offices who have done this?  they actually qualified and that means they have set a precedence.  Everyone who is struggling with Medical Transcription right now either losing their jobs or (sounds like) had their hours cut should check into this... From the website:  TAA Decision 72153 Note: Determinations for this case number, this case number with an alphabetic suffix, and any appeals or amendments ...

Can Someone Re-post That Trade Act Petition.
Jan 11, 2010

I tried looking it up in search mode and cannot find it, yet I know I saw it posted here not too long ago.  Thanks! ...

Investigation Of 3 MQ Workers Of The Trade Act?
Mar 13, 2010

Medquist, Inc., Norcross, GA; Notice of Termination of Investigation Mar 12, 2010 (FIND, Inc. via COMTEX) -- Pursuant to Section 223 of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended, an investigation was initiated in response to a petition filed on November 19, 2009, by three workers on behalf of workers of MedQuist, Inc., Norcross, Georgia. The petitioning group of workers is covered by an active certification, (TA-W-72,153) which expires on September 22, 2011. Consequently, further investigation in thi ...

Angioplasty Balloon Trade Name
Jul 28, 2011

S/l doctor is dictating Ar mot ta balloon...my brain is fried.  Any ideas?   ...

I Visited One-Stop And Asked About Trade Act
Nov 03, 2009

I decided to look into the benefits of the Trade Act which apparently includes only some states but which MQ has been qualified for.  I'm not yet unemployed but need to at least feel prepared.  I live in California so was given the name and number of the person in charge in my part of the state.  I also picked the brains of the One-Stop personnel about career changes.  They are a WEALTH of information, including 2 excellent websites:  www.edd.ca.gov www.onlin ...

Is Anyone Aware Of The Trade Adjustment Assistance Act?
Jun 12, 2012

I just found out about this government program.  From what I understand, it helps those who have lost all or part of their hours/income due to outsourcing of their profession, especially us older workers who need to retrain in order to reenter the workforce in another field.   It looks to me like Medical Transcriptionists should fit their description, and we should be eligible for some funding to get some training!   The catch is, in order to file, you have to have at least 3 pe ...

Has Anyone Ever Tried To Buy Their Medquist Computer From Medquist
Jul 18, 2011

????? ...

Big ASR News
Jan 27, 2010

I opened a ticket yesterday for ASR, asking them to have H and H expand out to hemoglobin and hematocrit for my account, and less than 24 hours I got a message saying it was done! Unbelievable.    Seems crazy we would all have to do this, but if we all do this, maybe some positive change could actually come.    I gave them the account, an internal job number, and my contact number and just stated what the problem was.  My understanding is this was corrected for this ...

More Bad News For MQ MT/MEs
Jan 29, 2010

I got the below link from my MQ Google Alert.  If Speris tanks, there's gonna be a ton of MQs scrambling for jobs.  I'm sure the Q will see this as the perfect opportunity to cut our salaries again as we fear for our jobs. http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2010/02/01/story1.html?b=1265000400%5E2811471 ...

I've Got News For Everyone
Jul 10, 2011

Most of the companies are paying 8 cpl for transcription and 4 cpl for editing.  MQ is not going to stop until they reach that rate even though they may do it gradually as they have been doing. ...

ST MTs, Any News Yet??
Jun 07, 2012

Has anyone heard anything further about the work (or lack of) situation?  Was really low this pay period. ...

CCS News
Sep 02, 2012

Check out the new eligibility requirements for sitting for the CCS that will go into effect on January 1, 2013.  No longer just a high school diploma.  : http://www.ahima.org/downloads/pdfs/certification/Candidate_Guide.pdf   ...

ANY NEWS
Jul 07, 2013

Curious. ...

Fox News And TAA
Aug 29, 2013

Fox News just did a segment on TAA cons/pros... but I missed most of it... anyone see it and have input? ...

TT News
Oct 29, 2014

Any opinions on the news today of office closing? Not many were named as being shifted to working at home. I hope that doesn't mean everyone else was let go. ...

Transcend/MDI News?
Nov 04, 2009

Does anyone know if there is another conference call scheduled soon?  I have not received notification, but it seems there should have been another scheduled for today if they are still doing the every-other-week thing as the last one was 2 weeks ago today.  Also, didn't they say packets would be distributed the first week of November?  ...

Sad News From Vermont
May 26, 2010

http://www.timesargus.com/article/20100526/NEWS02/5260344/1003/NEWS02 Now our job pool is going to get smaller.   :( ...

More India News
Jul 24, 2010

Good morning, In your browser type in india.com and you will get "The Economic Times", one of India's newspapers.  Interesting.  What is even more interesting is to put in CBay up in the search bar (top right side) and watch what comes up.  More information on CBay, but from India's newspaper perspective.  Interesting to say the least.  Always good to get an objective opinion!!  ...

Any News On Acusis?
Aug 08, 2010

Any news on Acusis? I am just wondering if they are worth testing for. ...

Good News!
Apr 05, 2011

McDonald's adding 50,000 new jobs!  Yay!  ...