A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

TAA (Trade Act) Information - XAXMT

Posted: Jan 14, 2013

I am looking for any Axolotl MTs who have been let go within the last year to sign a petition with me: 

http://www.labor.ny.gov/workforcenypartners/taaforms/taa-petition.pdf

It does nothing against the employer; in fact, they usually support the act.  

There need to be at least 3 workers to sign before it can be submitted.  

I hope every MT who has lost their jobs has applied for this...  MQ is on their list already, as is United HealthGroup (only not for MT). 

Please respond by E.  

Thank you, 

X

wow! how come - nobody ever saw this before..

[ In Reply To ..]
and why just Axolotl. I think there are hundreds of us, with different employers, who could stand to benefit from this...Me, for one, even though I am no longer working for the place that did this, but it has been less than a year since I left! I don't know if I could find 3 from the place I worked to sign, but this is a good start in getting attention to this matter! I wish you all luck and please keep us ALL advised of any progress once it is signed and filed. :-)

there were postings a while back... - XAXMT

[ In Reply To ..]
but it is so very hard to get women united on anything.

I included the link so that anyone who thinks they would qualify could check into it; however, I was hoping to pursue this with my former co-workers somehow.

Once I heard some men talking about union busting and how easy it was because getting women to unite was like putting "cats in a sack." It was offensive but,,, well just wish we could have all stood together years ago already.

That above incident was back in the mid 90s and unions have since certainly been busted. Years ago the medical director in the hospital where I worked told me his/her goal was to bust the unions. Management would get the women all fired up and fighting about minutia, when bigger and broader issues needed addressing. It worked too easily, too.

My partner works for a bus company, and years back in the union the women used to refuse to ask for health insurance, because way back then most of them were working for extra paychecks or to get out of the house, and their spouses had them covered on their health insurance. They would not stand up with the 'single' women who were starting to push for it. It was of no consequence to them but they always refused to help the other ladies get it. Then they would start fighting about over-time and smaller things, rather than fighting for raises, etc.

A union is only as strong as it's weakest member. I tend to not blame the unions too much, because they will do nothing, if they are not pushed to do something... and they mainly only push for what the majority wants or speaks up for.

Well, too late for all that now. In this profession, though, I cannot tell you how many times I have heard a woman say that they had it tough, so the next person should have it tough (almost 'sadistic'). It is not an attitude conducive to any kind of good for anyone. but management LOVES those women.

Anyway, I digress.

Hope someone can benefit from this, even if I can't. Technically, shouldn't we all fall into this category? Can you imagine how strong we could have been together?

Best,
X

the only problem with that is - this

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for MModal and tried to get TAA benefits. I was told you have to be laid off, or you have to show your pending lay off date. Also, salary employees were able to take advantage, but not MTs for whatever reason. I think because they laid off the salary employees and not just take away their work like the do the MTs.

I don't understand what that is, and what it does for MTs - does it apply to any of us

[ In Reply To ..]
sorry to be dense, but I have a massive headache today and I'm not figuring out what the purpose of that form is?

Any Diskriter employees reading this?? - wintersleeper

[ In Reply To ..]
Wonder if this could apply to those of us who will probably be let go from the S-account sooner or later? If there are three of us maybe more "in the know" about the circumstances and who live closer together - some near the office? (Most of us are remote, I would guess). Three signatures are needed to file. Don't know if this would be worth our while or not.

yes, it is worth your while...(for poster above also) - XAXMT

[ In Reply To ..]
it is the only way the government really is going to see what has been going on, in real numbers. even if in the longrun it doesn't pan-out now, they need to know just how many people this has happened to, and how most MTs now cannot even make a living wage; it is directly related to out/overseas. You are so lucky you have 3 of you because there is strength in numbers.

I am not sure if you have to qualify first through unemp, but even if you talk to a One-Stop counselor (they are part of unemp) they can help you. I spoke with someone who didn't really know about it, but she dug up info and told me who to call etc etc and now she knows about it and the next person will have an easier time getting info, I hope. You have to be tenacious...

I may not qualify now, but who knows, perhaps even years later this will be a big deal and we will get something back from it, or be able to help the next generation of healthcare workers...even coders from getting their jobs out/oversea'd...

It is a start.

A link with info about this is posted on my state's - ex-A too

[ In Reply To ..]
website. I didn't really feel it applied to me because I didn't lose my job due to offshoring. They didn't send work offshore. Most of their accounts were overflow anyway and when they were lost I was told they went back in-house using speech recognition. Whether they did go in-house or went offshore via another company I don't know.
yes but basically the profession has gone overseas - XAXMT
[ In Reply To ..]
which has caused us to lose our jobs and/or has caused lower wages, non living wages, loss of benefits, etc.

the person I spoke with was encouraging me to apply...

when you look at it from the perspective of how many MTs there used to be and how much per year we were all making, up to now, so many let go and India still going strong, even with VR - it does fit the criteria.

X

Similar Messages:

Trade Act/TAA
Dec 17, 2009

Has anyone investigated MQ's TAA petition?  I just read about it a minute ago and wondered...sounds too good to be true ...

Trade-act
Apr 16, 2010

The trade-act is only for those who are laid off or who suffer as much as 7 consecutive days without work due to offshoring.  Does everyone have that understanding or did I miss something?  Thanks! ...

Trade Act
May 13, 2013

Can someone please give me some info on where to find out this info and petition number.  Thank you. ...

Can You Trade Your Own Work
Aug 05, 2010

I have a job. I do not want it. I am sick of being an MT. There are newbies who want to be an MT. I want to help a newbie. I got offered 3 jobs and took this one, and I still don't want it. Newbies get offered no jobs. I wish I could fix this. Here I am with an unwanted job, and wanting to help a newbie, and there is nothing to do about it!! I would love to explain medical terminology and VR and the ins and outs of production work, I just do NOT want to do it myself any more!! Where ca ...

New To VR - Need Some Tricks Of The Trade!
Apr 04, 2011

Been working with VR since last October.  After rebuilding shorthand file and adding words to autocorrect for the last 5 months, I feel those items are no longer a insignificant factor hampering my production.  Sadly, I'm finding I'm not as productive as I need to be in order to make a living. Anyone have any VR tricks to increase production?  I'm headed to the poor house if I don't get this figured out soon! Truly appreciate any help you can o ...

Anyone Know Anything About The Trade Act Petition?
Dec 16, 2013

Got a call today from the Dept of Labor and the nice lady said I was entitled to educational benefits of $27,000.00 and/or if I got a job for, let's say, $10.00 an hour "they" would pay me $5 more because of something to do with MModal and NA Free Trade; that MModal was "adversely effected" (her words) because of outsourcing----that Americans are now missing out on jobs, etc., ect.....Really didn't know what to make of all what she was saying, but I told her to send me the paperwork. S ...

Trade Act Petition
Apr 02, 2014

New petition # is 85182. It is currently awaiting a decision. Our previous petition expired the end of March. Hopefully the new petition will be approved. ...

Trade Act News About Medquist
Dec 24, 2009

I spoke to a representative of the Trade Act in person today to ask some questions.  I learned this and want to share it to help empower those who feel hopeless this season: -All states are participating in the Trade Act.  -There was an old version of the Trade Act which necessitated that you be laid off by your company to benefit with the Trade Act.  The new version (ending with #7, not #6) starting in February 2009 allows those still working to enroll in the program. -Medquis ...

TAA - Trade Adjustment Assistance
Jan 06, 2010

this is great news for Mt Laurel New Jersey.  Are there any other offices who have done this?  they actually qualified and that means they have set a precedence.  Everyone who is struggling with Medical Transcription right now either losing their jobs or (sounds like) had their hours cut should check into this... From the website:  TAA Decision 72153 Note: Determinations for this case number, this case number with an alphabetic suffix, and any appeals or amendments ...

Can Someone Re-post That Trade Act Petition.
Jan 11, 2010

I tried looking it up in search mode and cannot find it, yet I know I saw it posted here not too long ago.  Thanks! ...

Investigation Of 3 MQ Workers Of The Trade Act?
Mar 13, 2010

Medquist, Inc., Norcross, GA; Notice of Termination of Investigation Mar 12, 2010 (FIND, Inc. via COMTEX) -- Pursuant to Section 223 of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended, an investigation was initiated in response to a petition filed on November 19, 2009, by three workers on behalf of workers of MedQuist, Inc., Norcross, Georgia. The petitioning group of workers is covered by an active certification, (TA-W-72,153) which expires on September 22, 2011. Consequently, further investigation in thi ...

Angioplasty Balloon Trade Name
Jul 28, 2011

S/l doctor is dictating Ar mot ta balloon...my brain is fried.  Any ideas?   ...

Medquist Has Been Certified Under The TAA, Or Trade Act, Program
Oct 22, 2009

Medquist has been certified under the TAA, or Trade Act, Program.  This means that former Medquist employees who lost their jobs can get funds to go to school as well as help paying for their COBRA premiums.  They need to go to their local Workforce center to apply.  Here's the site:  http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/ ...

I Visited One-Stop And Asked About Trade Act
Nov 03, 2009

I decided to look into the benefits of the Trade Act which apparently includes only some states but which MQ has been qualified for.  I'm not yet unemployed but need to at least feel prepared.  I live in California so was given the name and number of the person in charge in my part of the state.  I also picked the brains of the One-Stop personnel about career changes.  They are a WEALTH of information, including 2 excellent websites:  www.edd.ca.gov www.onlin ...

Is Anyone Aware Of The Trade Adjustment Assistance Act?
Jun 12, 2012

I just found out about this government program.  From what I understand, it helps those who have lost all or part of their hours/income due to outsourcing of their profession, especially us older workers who need to retrain in order to reenter the workforce in another field.   It looks to me like Medical Transcriptionists should fit their description, and we should be eligible for some funding to get some training!   The catch is, in order to file, you have to have at least 3 pe ...

Hypertype Information - Any Information
Feb 19, 2011

Any information on Hypertype?  Good, bad, and ugly, pay scale, platform?  TIA.  I have passed the test which I took a little more than a week ago.  They want to set up a phone interview but I want to know upfront what current ICs think.  Are they flexible.  Do you have a schedule.  Saw through the archives that the pay is low but how low is low?  TIA. ...

FTP-any Information
Nov 27, 2009

If I eventually plan on working from home, should I invest in some kind of FTP (file transfer program)? If so, what kind should I get? There are so many out there, just curious if anyone has any knowledge about this. Thanks!! ...

Any New Information About TTS?
Mar 21, 2010

Hi, I am speaking with TTS about a job.  The thing that I am concerned about is they said in their introduction that, "Production time is tracked off the technology system and monitors the time you are actually in the document working (hands on the keyboard or foot on the pedal).  If you are idle in excess of 4 minutes the time stops tracking.  You must remain actively working.  If you are researching etc, give it 3 minutes." I am assuming this means that you if you get ...

MME Information Please!
Oct 16, 2010

I sent a report in, and when I got it back, they had taken out the #s that I did using the numbering feature in 6.1 and replaced them with numbers. Is there a reason for this? ...

Anyone Information On TTS
May 07, 2011

Anyone information on TTS I would love to hear anything, good or bad.  I was recently offered 9 cpl and 4.5 VR/SR.. Including spacing and headers/footers....thought this was pretty darn good these days. I am waiting to set up start date and new hire paperwork.. This is TTS New Hampshire. Transcription, Technology, Solutions.  please reply. ...

Anyone Have Information On TTS?
May 08, 2015

Anyone have information on TTS? They have several positions available, wondering if it would be something worth looking into... ...

Transportal - Anyone Have Information
Oct 14, 2009

Does anyone have information regarding this company, i.e., platform, flexibility in working time (no schedule?), anything you care to add, good or bad would be appreciated.  Thanks. ...

Fastchart - Looking For Information
Oct 22, 2009

Anyone work for Fastchart???  Looking for information before I dive in. ...

Help..someone With Information On Focus!
Dec 03, 2009

Could someone give me the dirt on Focus?  Hours, work, supervisors, QA, workload>  Thanks in advance!... ...

Information On Spectramedi?
Jan 08, 2010

Does anyone have any information on Spectramedi? What they pay and what kind of company they are to work for? Thanks. ...

Keystrokes Any Information?
Jan 11, 2010

I'm trying to find out some information about Keystrokes and Transcend, mostly Keystrokes.  Do they have a tiering system for their MTs?  If not, how do they classify you?  Do different accounts pay differently?  Also, how are the advancement opportunities there?  Thank you, thank you, and thank you again....(:D) ...

Anyone Have Information On STAR Med? (SM)
Jan 13, 2010

Anyone else apply for this position and not hear back from them?  TIA!! ...

Any Current Information On TTS
Jan 17, 2010

Would appreciate any current information on TTS, particular related to IC status.  Thanks much. ...

Current Information On TTS
Feb 01, 2010

Thinking of applying and just wondering about pay, platform, accounts etc. Any information would be good. I just want to make sure it is a good place to work.  From the archives, it looks like it is pretty mixed.  People either love it or hated it due to the strict scheduling.  Is the schedule still strict for ICs? Thanks in advance for your information. ...

Transolutions - Any Information
Feb 10, 2010

Does anyone have any information on Transolutions?  Thanks for any info you can provide. ...