A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone aware Nuance has gotten rid of transcription - Unknown

Posted: Jan 13, 2015

for the Kaleida Health System and will no longer be using MTs at all soon, they are using templates and the doctors will be editing their own reports, and this is for the entire system as radiology has already been phased out.

this must be similar to MModal's voice 'understanding' not just recognition. it is tied into the EHR and can create reports from templates based on the electronic health records. it knows when a doctor dictates an error and will flag it, and all the doctor has to do is edit it.  no longer a need for MT/editors.

Yep. They are pushing their software full speed - ahead. Only a matter of time.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Not much different than the EPIC system --sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
There are other hospitals where this is happen. One big account that I used to work on went completely to templates, etc. which is why I was switched to another account. While I am not convinced that all hospitals will go this route, I assume that many more will and there will be less work to fight over.

where is - informacist?

[ In Reply To ..]
she will surely know the details to the nth degree

It's been know for a long time that a lot of work - is going that way, but

[ In Reply To ..]
what about reports like those long rehab reports and operative reports? Not so sure docs would be willing to point and click those in...prob not possible. I do think the work will keep dwindling though...through a combination of this and offshoring.

Doctors do all kinds of things they don't want to do. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There isn't one doctor in the history of ever who wanted to do his own clerical work. Unless they're in single private practice, they're just as much at the mercy of Administration as every other employee, and they will do what they're told because they won't be given another option.

Even in private practice, they are at the mercy of insurers--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
they will do what they have to in order to get paid. I also do not think it would be hard to develop a template for rehab notes.They could develop fields for all of the tests where only the results need to be added, etc. and what would need to be typed would therefore be minimal enough for it to be handled. Generally, I think a lot of operative reports could be handled with templates, with the exception being the more complex ones and eventually speech wreck could step up to fill many of the gaps. The need for MTs will go the way of the telephone operator.

So what did they do, send an email to all MTs on that account? - what do you mean? SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I would think the MTs working that account would be the first to know. Unless, MTs were never working the account to begin with; in which case, there were no MTs to get rid of. Your post is a little misleading. Could you please elaborate more? I just got an email from a Nuance recruiter a few days ago and I've seen recent ads, so why are they still hiring?

They are hiring because since the new - exciting (their words) pay plan

[ In Reply To ..]
came out a few weeks back, workers are leaving quickly. Hard to pay bills and plan if you don't know what you'll make from week to week.

Yeah, I figured thats why they're hiring, but if doing - away with MTs why bother? According to OP.

[ In Reply To ..]
My guess is that the OP is referring to one account-sm - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
and therefore that one account/hospital system is doing away with MT all together. Nuance is not getting rid of all MTs yet. Most likely they are whittling down slowly or driving them out but big changes like that generally do not happen all at once. Now, what will the MT landscape look like within 10 years? My guess is very different than it does now.

Well they dont have to worry about me applying. - I have enough problems.

[ In Reply To ..]
Trying to find a way out, not in.

RE: Why are they hiring - Ms. Behavin

[ In Reply To ..]
They are hiring because:
1. Quite a few MTs have left due to the pay and QA restrictions.
2. They are still acquiring new accounts. Those new accounts need to be transcribed from scratch at first so that the speech engine can learn from the MT.
3. They still have time periods of excessive work and need to send emails out to everyone to work extra on the weekend. They will just "deal with it" when the new MTs get OOW.
4. There are MTs who are not meeting the productivity and getting make up pay, and they will not keep them much longer - I guarantee it.

work - closetbird

[ In Reply To ..]
At some point they will run out of places to take over.

sorry to be misleading... - Unknown

[ In Reply To ..]
what I mean is I have seen the memo from Kaleida that the transcription will no longer be done by MTs basically but that their programs will be starting to do this, whereby doctors will be editing their own templated reports with information pulled in from the EHR.

My guess for their continuing to hire people is to keep training their new account acquisitions or takeovers, and just keep paying low-wage workers until they can be weeded out completely.

Also, when they do takeover entire hospital systems, not all MTs want to work with Nuance, so if they are taking over Catholic Health System as someone wrote below, if only a few MTs go with Nuance, they will be needing a huge number of MTs at first just to make sure the dictation gets done until they can begin implementing the phase-outs.

that is my understanding...

Nuance Volumes and EMR - Denise

[ In Reply To ..]
It is true. It is not just a thing that has come down the pike recently. It is a government MANDATE that the physicians (hospitals, clinics) implement EMR (electronic medical records). They were supposed to have it in place and working by 1/1/2015, but there has been a 1-year grace period for the hospitals and clinics to get it up and running. EPIC is a version of the program. What voice recognition software and off-shoring hasn't taken away from us as MTs earning a decent living in the USA, this will take the remainder. I don't even know how these companies can offer medical transcription school for people. There MIGHT be a need for some editors for narratives some physicians will dictate but it will probably just be the bad dictators that voice recognition cannot even understand and that we won't make but pennies to transcribe/or suffer through editing. Hate to say it as I have been in this line of work over 30 years, but it's true. Some docs are hiring what they call "Scribes" who will go into the exam rooms with them shadowing them and taking the notes as they visit with the patients. Doesn't fare well to me, being exposed to communicable disease known to man if I were to get hired by a GP. I feel like a one-legged man in a rump kicking contest. ---sigh---must do something. Good luck to all.

I used to work for an imaging clinic, and that - is what they did. No more MTs. :(

[ In Reply To ..]
X

kaleida - closetbird

[ In Reply To ..]
Kaleida is in Buffalo, NY. The Catholic Health System in Buffalo, NY has just been taken over by Nuance. Don't go to Buffalo, NY, My cardiologist verified this for me

Nuance getting rid of transcription - Classylassy

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like the Epic system where docs do most of their own transcription right into the system, completely bypassing the MT totally

Similar Messages:

Anyone Answer Ad Posted In March For Company STAT Transcription, Inc--be Aware
Jun 14, 2013

I sent my resume in and just heard back last week asking if I was still interested. She sent a brief little word document with some account specs, cpl and paydates--no contract, HIPAA agreement, etc. I did three voice files the first day. She sent back a copy of my transcription, supposedly with corrections, but there were no QA markings or corrections. I did 15 voice files the next day and again she sent back a copy of my transcription with no obvious corrections. I asked her how I was sup ...

Just A Little Help In Case You Werent Aware Of It
Mar 06, 2012

A lot of the standards are single spaced, whether they are supposed to be or not.. if you go to the top panel there are a pair of binoculars the icon NEXT to it on the right is a find and replace feature,,,you can type in any say word that is consistently wrong and then type it correctly in the replace box and it will fix the whole document...Same can be done for punctuation put in there .  (one space)  and in the find replace put the .  (two spaces) and hit the button, fixe ...

Do You Think MQ Suits Are Aware Of The Tammy Post And
Nov 03, 2011

x ...

Is Anyone Aware Of The Trade Adjustment Assistance Act?
Jun 12, 2012

I just found out about this government program.  From what I understand, it helps those who have lost all or part of their hours/income due to outsourcing of their profession, especially us older workers who need to retrain in order to reenter the workforce in another field.   It looks to me like Medical Transcriptionists should fit their description, and we should be eligible for some funding to get some training!   The catch is, in order to file, you have to have at least 3 pe ...

MT Roll In Malpractice Prevention - Are They Aware? (sm)
Oct 01, 2012

When I worked for several clients as a contractor for about 20 years, I don't think a day ever passed that I didn't make corrections to doctors who were exhausted or on auto pilot who made dictation errors that could cost them a fortune in a malpractice suit. It was right corrected to left breast, making sure the woman didn't have a surgical history of prostatectomy, nor a man having a TAH BSO, making sure allergies went where they would be noticed, and knowing when they were dic ...

American Health Connection - Be Aware
Feb 09, 2015

I was hired by American Health Connection as a patient scheduler. I was sent an offer letter which I signed and then an email came with several forms to complete. Once had to be notarized, so I mailed everything back priority rate. Then, another email came with more attachments. Within those attachments, was a training reimbursement agreement that I was required to sign that said that if I quit the job prior to 6 months on the job I would have to pay $2,500 to the company. I have never in my lif ...

Patient Is To Be Aware Of Incontinence As This Could Indicate S/l Acato Quino Syndrome. Thanks!!
Jan 04, 2010

x ...

Finally Got Through Support. Says They're Aware Of The Problem But Doesn't Know How Long
Jun 18, 2012

~ ...

What Is Your Opinion Of Nuance Transcription And United Transcription (United In Charlotte, NC)
Jun 06, 2012

I have been offered a position with both.  I have; however, in the past, had a position where the employer still owes me $6000.  Does United pay and have the work?  Does Nuance have enough work for me?  I need full time work guaranteed income, like everyone else.  Good luck to all out there! ...

Nuance Transcription/need IM Buddy
Mar 11, 2012

I have recently been hired by Nuance Transcription. If there is anyone out there who wants an employee as an "IM buddy" through the Nuance Comagent, please let me know. I have found it helpful to get and give input from other coworkers versus asking a question to a supervisor and waiting 24 hours to get a response. ...

Does Nuance Do Coding As Well As Transcription?
May 03, 2012

Just curious if Nuance is into coding and if they specifically hire coders or move their MTs over into coding?  TIA.  You all are really informative.  I am with Transcend now, so am trying to keep my food down reading all the Nuance info. on here.  ...

Nuance Transcription Services - Anyone Knows About Them
Jul 23, 2012

has anyone heard of Nuance?  They supposedly have added Transcend Services to their company.  I saw an ad where they are hiring, and just wondered if anyone knows about them.  Been with my company now for several years, but keep running out of work, and so I'm looking elsewhere.  thanks ! ...

Does Nuance Do Pathology Transcription?
Jul 20, 2013

Thank you! ...

Working For Nuance Transcription
Mar 25, 2015

Whoever is even thinking of trying to work for Nuance Transcription, should think again!  They are always running out of work and pay sucks big time! They have a new pay system where you are docked for almost everything! You have to meet 99% quality, which is no problem, as you should be meeting that anyway, but then they check your reports, always short ones and if they find an error, especially a major one, that docks your score way down, which in turn docks you pay, plus they then take y ...

Nuance Transcription Company Info?
Jun 07, 2011

Our facility recently contracted with Nuance and all MT's were "offered" a position with Nuance. What should we expect? Has anyone worked for or currently working for this company? ...

Oracle OR Nuance Transcription Service
Mar 21, 2012

Hi, I have just been contacted by Oracle and by Nuance Transcription Service and wondered if anyone had any experience with either company.   ...

Revised Nuance Transcription Guidelines
Apr 07, 2014

Everyone should be very interested in the just revised (March 24, 2014) Nuance Transcription Guidelines.  First paragraph is quoted below: "This document may answer questions not addressed in individual account specifics and is to be utilized as a secondary reference as desired (italics mine).  Note: These are preferences, not requirements,  and will not impact your quality performance (italics mine).   Whenever possible, the speech draft should not be edited unless t ...

Nuance Transcription Services - Frustrated With This Place
Mar 29, 2011

I need to know if it is just me.  I am so frustrated with this place.  I thought I would enjoy getting paid by the line instead of hourly, but they just seem to do what they can to slow us down.  They are constantly changing the account's specifics so you have to stop and read a paragraph before you can type EACH report.  Also, constantly changing your account.....today you are on _____, then tomorrow without warning you are on _____.  Also, it seems like every QC has a different way o ...

Nuance Transcription Services Is A Legitimate Company?
Jul 21, 2011

Does anyone out there know if Nuance (out of Massachusetts) is a legitimate company? ...

Largest Transcription Companies Out There That Are Not Affiliated With Nuance?
Apr 10, 2014

What are some of the largest transcription companies out there that are not affiliated with Nuance?  It is way too hard to get a parttime job with smaller independent hospitals.  ...

30% Nuance Clients Refuse Offshore Transcription
May 17, 2015

and the other 70% are in for a very rude awakening. ...

In Case You Forget That Nuance Is Not A Transcription Company At Its Core
Jul 16, 2014

I have to admit, I wasn't familiar with what "Ambulatory" transcription would entail, so I went searching on the internet and came across this PDF. It is a stark reminder that Nuance is not a transcription company.  They are a technology company, a speech recognition company, and we are all test subjects to make their speech engine better (through the thousands of doctors dictating and all of our editing).  They don't want to use transcriptionsits to do their work. They wan ...

Nuance: Speech Recognition Versus Transcription Line Counts
May 13, 2012

As I was working today I thought about speech versus transcription, and it occurred to me that I was transcribing a good deal in each speech report I "edited." Why is transcription done for a full report paid any differently than transcription done in a speech report? In other words, why don't I get paid my transcription line count for the characters I am transcribing in a speech report, particularly since a great deal of these speech reports require almost re-transcribing completely due to ...

S/l "Mass Aware"
Oct 20, 2012

Patient has TB.  Patient "discharged home with mass aware." Help!  Please! ...

Resolve To Make A Fresh Start For 2013! Map Your Career Path With Nuance Transcription Services
Jan 05, 2013

Resolve to make a fresh start for 2013! Map your career path with Nuance Transcription Services!  As if I any one in their right mind wants to work for a company with such high standards that they are unattainable to most.   This underpaying J.O.B. is really not blowing my skirt up anymore!   ...

Wmx/nuance Paycut Meeting,listen To Tape Shut Up Or QUIT, Nuance Attitude?
Dec 12, 2011

According to a poster below which has apparently already attended one of the payroll meetings (as the poster posted) for nuance they have decided to keep the incentive part of all of our pay going with an exception that now you have to have over the industry standard of 98% to get a production based incentive. In addition (if this poster is accurate) they have again cut the overall pay from 8 and 4 to 3 3/4 AND 7 1/2. This is nothing but a bunch of crapploa...an MT who is now getting ...

I Know The Nuance Questions Are Getting Old, But Just One More, Does Nuance Pay Shift Differential F
Mar 09, 2012

that fall during the shift.  For example, if half of your hours fall in 3rd shift and half fall in 1st shift, do the 3rd shift hours pay more cpl?  Or, do all hours have to fall within the shift to qualify?  Thanks, Yet another sad Transcend employee... ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

InfAny Info On Net Med Transcription, All-Write Transcription Or FutureNet Technologies?
Jun 11, 2010

I would appreciate any input anyone may have on these 3 companies. I have tried to find out about them through their local BBB, but only Net Med Transcription has anything on it. Thanks. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...