A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Why are we not paid for time spent waiting for a job? - sm

Posted: Mar 29, 2013

I saw this on the Nuance board. What am I missing here? It really looks like, according to the Dept of Labor, that we should be paid at least minimum wage for our time waiting for a job to pop up, and not just a lousy 15 mins per day. See the section under "waiting time." http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.htm

They say because.. - SS

[ In Reply To ..]
They say they are not required to pay us min wage to wait because we are not 'required' to sit there and wait. We are free to take the rest of the day off if we like with no pay. The only way they have to pay us is if they make us sit there and wait.

Do I agree with this? NO!!

So how do you keep your FT status if... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
...they don't even SEND you a full day's worth of work to cover every day of the pay period that you're "scheduled" to work?

At my last job with an MTSO, I was required to put in "X" number of hours a week to keep my full-time status and full-time health-insurance benefit. There were many, many days that I had to "invest" 11 or 12 hours of my day, checking back for work in order to put in my required hours for the week. They never told me this specifically (they're very careful to never put something like that in writing!!), but it was the implied message I got from my manager. Also, had I NOT gotten in a full days' worth of work, I would never have met the lines-per-pay-period requirement. I'm not sure how you're supposed to pull lines out of thin air if there's NJA for much of the day!

If you have an entire week where only 1 or 2 hours' worth of work comes through and you end up taking the rest of the day off, wouldn't you lose your full-time status and benefits?

Of course you'd lose it... - SS

[ In Reply To ..]
They just say you are free to take the day off if no work to cover their butts BUT if you need the money you can't just walk away and take the day off. If you have line requirement for your ins you can't either.

They are good at covering their u know whats... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
So on the one hand they say you have to have a schedule, and you are expected to work that schedule. On the other hand, during that schedule, if I run out of work, since I have the "option" of taking time off without pay, that's why they're not paying me to sit here and wait for jobs? Because of that so-called "option"? That is seriously crazy.

Yep, that "option" is a CROCK of you know what too. NM - SS

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

this will stop only when everyone complains to the DOL - (what they are doing is illegal)

[ In Reply To ..]

Unfortunately it is not - illegal

[ In Reply To ..]
They are following the law per state. Is it fair? Absolutely not! What needs to be changed is the extremely out dated "Piece Work" law.

it is illegal to instruct employees to clock out - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If everyone stayed on the clock for eight hours only to earn $30, the MTSO would, by law, have to pay minimum wage.

You are paid for the time spent waiting for a job. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You need to put your time in Teamwork (15 minutes) and you will get paid minimum wage for your state (a few states compensate different than min wage). Make sure you get paid for your wait time!

but, if you wait ten and a job pops up, you do not - get paid for those ten, and...

[ In Reply To ..]
then you wait another 10 in between and you dont get paid for that 10, then a job pops up, and then you wait 8, you dont get paid for that 8 minutes, then its a total of 28 minutes already... half hour of upaid time, but MModal says it has to be a solid 15 minute wait before they pay! RIDICULOUS.

only 15 mins per day though... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You only get paid for 15 minutes of OOW/NJA for the day. I spend a helluva lot more time waiting than that.

Word of warning - FossilMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know this, but when I get NJA, I was clocking out, but leaving Fluency open so I could monitor for any jobs coming in and then clocking back in when jobs became available. My TSM informed me that I should be closing out of Fluency when I clock out, because they are monitoring our time in Fluency versus time in Teamwork so that they can stop people from "working off the clock." Seriously? It seems like it would be very simple to document whether or not jobs were being done while clocked out, instead of just assuming you were working simply because you were logged into Fluency.

My bigger question is why - MTQuilter

[ In Reply To ..]
we don't get paid for all the admin work we have to do for this company... Reading emails, replying to emails, reporting NJA on Remedy, entering NJA times in Teamwork, requesing unpaid leave for NJA in Teamwork, and all those little extra requests from above. I rack up hours and hours of this stuff over the course of a year and nary a penny for my trouble.

Similar Messages:

Time Spent Waiting, Check Email, Etc
May 15, 2015

http://callaborlawblog.com/common-california-labor-code-violations/minimum-wage/employer-average-piece-rate-employees-compensation-order-satisfy-requirements-minimum-wage-laws/ ...

Lots Of Time Spent On ADT
Apr 29, 2014

I spend enormous amounts of time doing clervical work for free at the beginning of a report..looking up doctor names that are not on the lists we have been given, figuring out which is the date of admit, consult, etc.  If everything was programmed in and we just had to download a report and transcribe, we would be making a lot more and if the speech recognition would stop putting words down that the doctors are not saying so that we do not have to clean it all up we would have more time to ...

Spent More Time Manually Entering CCs
Jan 30, 2015

How is that even remotey fair? ...

Two Great Interviews With Accentus STARTeam. Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...
May 10, 2012

I applied, tested for and passed for the Accentus STARTeam position.  I received a call from HR for the first interview and went on to a second interview with who would be my transcrition manager within hours of the first interview.  I was on the phone with her for over an hour.  She was very excited about my experience and told me I would be a great fit.  It was very clear that she thought I would be a valuable addition to her team and the interview went very, very well. &nb ...

How Do You Use Your Waiting Time?
Jul 02, 2010

Hi, I am an old MT but new to working at home. Didn't know beans about any company, but have gotten hired by a company that (as I found out on these forums) apparently overhires. As I understand it, this means that my "8-hour shift" may stretch to fill the entire day, as I wait for dictation to become available, because we have to do a certain number of lines, if there's work or not. My question to anyone in the same situation is, What do you do during the time you are waiting? Is it ...

Waiting Time Pay
Mar 29, 2013

Did you know that the Department of Labor requires that you be paid for waiting time?  That's right. Keep track of all the time you are out of work during your regular shift and are required to be available to work when the jobs come in.  All that time is billable to the company and is, by federal law, due to be paid to you!  Keep track of all your out of work or waiting for tech support down time!!! Bill the company for it. ...

Waiting Time Pay And Others DOL Link FYI
Jul 06, 2013

Here is a link to a PDF from the Dept of Labor with some very interesting info regarding pay, waiting time, etc. Should answer some questions.    http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.pdf      ...

For The ICs Out There, How Much Time Do You Put In Waiting On Work When
Jun 10, 2014

the accounts are way overstaffed.  I sit here all day waiting for what little work I get and not sure at what point you just say I will go PT or what to do.  Seems a little crazy to waste your life like this. ...

Still Haven't Approved Time Card Because Am Waiting For
Feb 17, 2010

a correction to be made (it's been 3 days!).  I'm wondering if I should go ahead and approve it anyway, even though if I do I will be short 3 hours for the week w/o the correction.  I'm afraid I won't be paid at all if I don't approve.  Does anyone know if you still get paid if your time card is not approved or approved late?  I wonder how long I should wait?  TIA ...

Anyone Else Not Getting Paid On Time??
Dec 14, 2009

I wonder how some people sleep at night!!!! ...

NSA And Paid Time Off...
May 18, 2012

So, is it legal for nuance to use our "paid time off" because of NSA?? I did not approve or request to use my available paid time off.    This really is not right!! ...

Random Audit Due Today...waiting, Waiting.
Apr 11, 2014

My random audits have happened the last 3 months between the 10th and 15th of each month.  So, now... well, I guess I wait to see where the axe will fall.   ...

As An IC, Is It Really An Option To Get Paid On Time?
Nov 05, 2009

I'm just curious. I have worked as an IC and an employee. With the last job I took as an IC, I remember in the interview the woman speaking with me said "and the woman you'll be working for always pays on time." At the time, I thought that was rather odd. I mean, why would someone need to say that? Of course I get paid on time. Just like they expect their work done on time. Well it was a huge red flag that I ignored, because then on 4 different occasions over the next 10 months I didn& ...

My CCM Says We Have Not Been Paid For Headers All This Time
Sep 13, 2010

but I could absolutely swear I have an email from her ages ago that said we were.  I may spend some of my vacation going through my 350,000 MQ emails to find this. Does anyone really know.  If we weren't; I'm really PO'd I spent any time on them. ...

How Much Are We Paid For Technical Down Time
Jul 14, 2012

I've looked on the website and cant find this info ...

Do We Get Paid Time And A Half Today?
Jul 04, 2012

Can't remember ...

You Cannot Request Time Off Unless You Have Paid Leave
May 01, 2013

It seems to be that it might be illegal to say you cannot request time off unless you have paid leave.  Does anyone know this?  This Nuance company is really awful now it seems to me anyway.  I do not plan to stay here long, too many changes since the takeover.  Bad changes.  ...

Do We Get Paid Our Full Hourly Rate For Down Time
Jan 12, 2013

Do we get paid our full hourly rate for down time? ...

Where Do I Find Info On 15 Minutes Paid Time For NJA?
May 26, 2014

Our group ran out of work today, and it has been a while since that happened, and I don't remember the protocol for getting paid the 15 minutes.    Would someone be kind enough to refer me to where I can read the instructions, or post them?  Thanks for your help. ...

Shift Differential Is Paid If You Work 4-12 Eastern Time
Dec 22, 2013

Just recently started with Nuance and am in Pacific Time. Can anyone tell me if the shift differential is paid if you work 4-12 Eastern time or is it paid based on you working actually 4-12 in your time zone? Thanks ...

Spent Half The Morning
Jul 23, 2014

explaining why I billed what I did on an invoice.  This MD pays by the hour.  He set the hourly wage and now I have to justify why it took as long as it did.  This is a new physican whom I have worked for for only 2-3 weeks in a specialty that is new to me in a state I don't live in. Anyone else ever have to do this? ...

Another Saturday Spent Working
Feb 21, 2015

x ...

I Just Spent 15 Minutes For FREE....
May 14, 2015

typing 8 referring physicians and full addresses in cc because NONE of them were listed in their directory.  FREE!  You are welcome MModal! Last week, I had typed 1100 seconds before the doctor said, "delete all that!"  FREE!  Again, you are welcome MModal! When will they be done lying to get "new blood" so I can get fired already? ...

"unpaid Time Off" For Production-paid Employees
Jun 26, 2011

Looking to find out from others if this "UTO" is a normal industry-wide policy for production-paid transcriptionists who are not paid for time when lines are not turned in; example, storms, power outages, company's platform down, etc.  Losing pay and bonuses for not working the same hour twice and getting paid for once.  Losing time for sleep, family and medical regimen, too.  What is the norm out there?  This just started recently.  Don't mind not being paid f ...

Just Spent An Hour Looking At Local Classified Ads.
Jul 31, 2010

I am such a good transcriptionist, but so very unqualified for anything else.  Even cashiers need "previous experience."  There was a housekeeping job at a local hospital and a "valet parking attendant."  Surely I can clean and park? ...

Must You Be Paid For "no-work" Time? Depending On
May 11, 2015

First, understand that there are two sets of labor laws and regulations - Federal, and those of each state depending on where you live, not where the MTSO is located.  Your MTSO must comply with BOTH the state laws and regs that apply to YOU, and of course those at the Federal level as well. The "no-work" situation will usually fall under what's more commonly called "on-call" time, and most states have very specific regulations regarding compensation that must be paid for "on-call" ti ...

Out Of Curiosity, Just Spent The Last 45 Min Listening To The DocQ 7 Tutes....sm
Dec 14, 2011

Holy Crow....I knew there were changes made, but didn't think that everything changed.  Nothing on the screen looks the same, starting with the log-in screen which is the only thing that looks simple to use.  There are stupid panels everywhere, top, bottom, left side, right side, and the poor text screen is kinda squished in the middle.  It looks waaaay more complicated than how it is now.  I just want to cry.  I really had no idea that it is basically going to invo ...

I Have Spent The Entire Night Formatting Documents.
Apr 26, 2013

It really hurts the line count bad. So far, I have had a lot of documents that require quite a bit of formatting - H&Ps, consults and ER reports from several facilities with each having different requirements and everyone wanting the ROS and PE different. Also, lack of punctation is hurting a lot too. I can't wait until I get out of here. Just 8 more months and counting! ...

Job That Took An Hour To Correct Will Not Load. Now I Have Spent At Least 10 Min Trying To Loaf It.
Jun 18, 2015

Nm ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...