A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

"unpaid time off" for production-paid employees - jenpi

Posted: Jun 26, 2011

Looking to find out from others if this "UTO" is a normal industry-wide policy for production-paid transcriptionists who are not paid for time when lines are not turned in; example, storms, power outages, company's platform down, etc.  Losing pay and bonuses for not working the same hour twice and getting paid for once.  Losing time for sleep, family and medical regimen, too.  What is the norm out there?  This just started recently.  Don't mind not being paid for losing the time; that's life in the biz.  Don't like being forced to give up the rest of my life and work that hour again when they tell me to work it.  Losing sleep, friends, sanity. Thanks!

not industry-wide policy. - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
In fact, I have more than 20 years doing this on production and never had to 'manditorily' make up time losses as either employee, IC or statutory employee. I was told in the past, however, IF I WANTED TO, I could make up the pay if/when work was abundant enough to go around, before the pay period end.

All companies have different policies for this.

So some company has found yet another way to rape its transcriptionists? smdh! nm - anon3

[ In Reply To ..]

Inappropriate - Mom

[ In Reply To ..]
Your use of the word rape is totally inappropriate, not to mention insensitive to those who really have been the victims of such an ugly violent crime, and who have never been able to erase it. To use it so cavalierly is disgusting.

I disagree. There are many kinds of rape besides the - physical kind. This is financial & psychological.

[ In Reply To ..]
Open-pit mining and deforestation is rape of the land. Companies that skim even more money off of the pittance that MTs already work so hard to earn, is financial. The way we are treated as just cogs in the wheel, and always first to blame for just about everything, or being told how "lucky" we are to have these miserable jobs, is a form of psychological rape.

So nope, I disagree with you. The actual act itself may be different than the physical/sexual kind of rape, but the damage done to the individual can be just as devastating.
Ridiculous!! How can you say the effects are the same. That's plain stupid. Ask anyone who' - Mom
[ In Reply To ..]
Hope you never have to see the difference.
wow - TiredMT
[ In Reply To ..]
You sound like me!!! I am so tired of being told how lucky we are that we have a job and can work at home.. while we are used 24 hours day for slave labor!! They know they have many of us by the hair roots!!

Defintion of rape - jw

[ In Reply To ..]
Definition of rape also includes the violent destructive treatment: the violent, destructive, or abusive treatment of something. Come on ladies do we have to take everything as a personal afront??
well said. "like button" - anon
[ In Reply To ..]

Exploited may be the word to more accurately describe what MTs are feeling. - sweetgirlsmom

[ In Reply To ..]
As for the OP: I've been an MT for 33 years with 30 of that on production. My employers have never paid for work that was not done, regardless of the reason (no dictation, weather, equipment, etc). I have usually been asked to work extra hours later to help catch up the work that got behind when we couldn't type. Getting paid for that covers the time I was off so I break even on my paycheck.

I don't complain about the extra money when we have overtime (in my first job for 20 years it was 50% of the time) so I don't complain about the 5% of the time we have no work or cannot type because of equipment or weather.

The employers have always given credit for the hours not worked toward my PT or FT status. I have never lost my insurance benefits, or my holiday and vacation time.

Hospitals operate 24/7 so losing time from family/friends is standard in the medical industry. Many people have jobs working nights, weekends, and holidays, and they also lose time with family and friends. MTs are not alone. The only way around it is to work some place else.

Similar Messages:

Looking For Former DIT Unpaid ICs; Question For You Now That Tax Time Is Here
Jan 01, 2011

Oh, those 2 dreaded words – TAX TIME Over the past year it seems as though there were more and more MTSOs not paying their Independent Contractors (especially DIT), leaving those MTs with little recourse to collect their wages.  I have never had contact with DIT, so I am kind of blind in my assumptions, and I may be way off base. If I am, just ignore the rest of my ramblings.   I assume that as Independent Contractors working for DIT, the MTs were billing or invoicing DIT peri ...

Okay, Another Question On The Unpaid Time Off
Dec 03, 2013

have to exhaust your PTO before you can use it? I can see my TSM saying that is only after PTO runs out. TIA. This doesn't really answer my question: Q.  How much time off without pay can I take per year? A.  M*Modal is providing five additional days off to use as unpaid excused absences. All HDS/SHDA will have the ability to take up to 13 unpaid days off each year.  These absences can be used for sickness, family emergencies, vacations or other activities. However, al ...

Production Employees (not IC's): How Much
Jul 13, 2010

The compensation structure and "minimum" hourly or daily production expectations often encourage people in our industry to work unreported hours in order to meet minimums.  You have a day when you get a rash of the account's most trying dictators, for instance, and at the end of 8 hours you realize that you haven't met minimums...so you work another hour, while reporting only the 8 hours. Transcription companies are, of course, aware of this dirty little secret and do nothing abo ...

Anybody Not Paid By Production?
Aug 19, 2011

I keep hearing about how some MTs are not paid via production but rather like a salarie or something along those lines. They just have to do a minimum of so many lines per day. Anybody familiar with this? ...

Anyone Had Successfully Filed A Claim With The Department Of Labor Regarding Unpaid Time?
Oct 03, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had successfully filed a claim with the Department of Labor regarding unpaid time waiting for jobs or being "engaged to wait."  ...

How Does O/T Work When Paid On Production??
May 22, 2014

I started with Nuance 3 months ago but had my first week of "approved overtime" last week.   Does this change how much we're paid (I'm guessing no)?  I've never had to "clock in/out" before when being paid by the line, so I don't know how this works.   TIA!!! :0) ...

Don't Believe A Legal Medical Document Should Be Paid By Production.
Feb 01, 2011

How can something as important as someone's medical report be treated like a simple object that goes through a production line? I truly do not believe a legal medical document should be paid on a production basis, but rather a professional basis.   ...

Would You Rather Be Paid $14 An Hour, 40 Hours A Week Or Production At 8 Cpl? Sm
Jun 06, 2012

I have been offered both, but I'm not sure what to do. ...

Hospital Job Paid On Production. I Can't Make Any Money
Jan 29, 2014

When did hospital jobs get almost as bad as working for a service?  When I have had hospital MT jobs before, we were either paid hourly, or hourly base pay plus incentive.  It was possible to make $22 to $25 an hour. I have also worked on production for a service and for myself and I can usually do 200 lph very easily, 250 lph if I'm concentrating, 300-350 lph if I'm concentrating and getting good dictation (that I'm familiar with and know what they are going to say ...

There Was Talk Of CA Employees Not Getting Paid Breaks.
May 13, 2015

Has anyone filed a wage claim yet?  Just curious how that is going.  ...

Production Time
Apr 20, 2015

Question.....I have been told your production hours decide your lph.  What does one do when they need to take a few quick breaks during the night or have to do an extended amount of research to keep this time from hurting their lph??  I was told as long as you have a file downloaded, your hours are running :( ...

Non-production Time Estimate
May 28, 2015

How much time daily would you estimate you spend on non-production tasks such as Fiesa, email, and researching? ...

Got My ASR Production/inactive Time Statistics ;)
Jul 10, 2012

Of course I'm over the "target". Hmm.... they us answering the phone, searching the internet and walking away from the work station. One huge cause of inactive time they are conspicuously leaving out is taking the time to read client profiles! - Especially when I am getting many jobs outside of my usual BOB. I'm happy to do a good job - follow the CP, make sure I have the right drug and dosage because the doctor can't pronounce the drug well enough, find the correct name of a s ...

How Do They Track Production Time In Escription?
Dec 23, 2012

I work in Escription 9.20 (90% VR).  If I am told I have an average work time of 6.9 hours in Escription, does anyone know exactly how they are tracking to get that figure?  ...

Time Outside Production - Isn't It Illegal To Require This?
Feb 13, 2014

New to Nuance, swallowed up when they acquired my employer at the end of 2013.  I see they really expect you to spend a lot of time doing things outside your schedule, training, reading manuals, etc.  Other than a flat rate for installing and learning software (20 minutes, actually took twice that), they don't offer to pay for all this extra time.  Seems excessive.  Has anyone tracked this extra time and filed a complaint with DOL about it?  Or tried to clock into W ...

"no Unpaid Time Off"
Nov 29, 2013

I know what this means, but what I want to know from those that have worked for Nuance for a while is what happens if you HAVE to take unpaid time off?  How can they stop you from taking it?  Co was bought out & this (among other things) has me thinking its time to abandon ship.  ...

Anyone Else Not Getting Paid On Time??
Dec 14, 2009

I wonder how some people sleep at night!!!! ...

NSA And Paid Time Off...
May 18, 2012

So, is it legal for nuance to use our "paid time off" because of NSA?? I did not approve or request to use my available paid time off.    This really is not right!! ...

As An IC, Is It Really An Option To Get Paid On Time?
Nov 05, 2009

I'm just curious. I have worked as an IC and an employee. With the last job I took as an IC, I remember in the interview the woman speaking with me said "and the woman you'll be working for always pays on time." At the time, I thought that was rather odd. I mean, why would someone need to say that? Of course I get paid on time. Just like they expect their work done on time. Well it was a huge red flag that I ignored, because then on 4 different occasions over the next 10 months I didn& ...

My CCM Says We Have Not Been Paid For Headers All This Time
Sep 13, 2010

but I could absolutely swear I have an email from her ages ago that said we were.  I may spend some of my vacation going through my 350,000 MQ emails to find this. Does anyone really know.  If we weren't; I'm really PO'd I spent any time on them. ...

How Much Are We Paid For Technical Down Time
Jul 14, 2012

I've looked on the website and cant find this info ...

Are There Any Part Time Employees Left?
Aug 29, 2013

I wasn't on the boards for a little while, and now I'm seeing posts about all the part time people being laid off.  Is this true?  Do we know this for sure, or just speculation? ...

Do We Get Paid Time And A Half Today?
Jul 04, 2012

Can't remember ...

Why Are We Not Paid For Time Spent Waiting For A Job?
Mar 29, 2013

I saw this on the Nuance board. What am I missing here? It really looks like, according to the Dept of Labor, that we should be paid at least minimum wage for our time waiting for a job to pop up, and not just a lousy 15 mins per day. See the section under "waiting time." http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.htm ...

You Cannot Request Time Off Unless You Have Paid Leave
May 01, 2013

It seems to be that it might be illegal to say you cannot request time off unless you have paid leave.  Does anyone know this?  This Nuance company is really awful now it seems to me anyway.  I do not plan to stay here long, too many changes since the takeover.  Bad changes.  ...

Does MQ Hire Statutory Employees Or Is It Just Part-time?
Jan 20, 2012

I need flexibility because I home school.    ...

Transcend Employees...entering Time In TimeSaver
Feb 07, 2012

I need help and need to know how you all enter your time in TimeSaver.  I was told to only enter the time you are actually typing or editing and do not enter the time you are researching or reading work emails, etc., only when your "hands are on the keyboard".  So, this obviously won't equal to 8 hours a day just by entering this time, so how do they figure in that we are full-time employees this way?   If I only enter 5 or 6 hours a day instead of 8 then they can ...

PTO Accrual Is At Amphion For Full Time Employees?
Apr 11, 2012

Does anyone know what the PTO accrual is at Amphion for full time employees? Thanks. ...

Does Anyone Know If Keystrokes Hires Part-time Employees? Nm
May 04, 2012

nm ...

Is The Incentive Plan For Part-time Employees, Too? Sm
Dec 11, 2012

Someone chatted online during the meeting that the incentive program is for full-time employees only? Is this true? I'm part-time but can make the lines in at least Tier 2.  ...