A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just spent an hour looking at local classified ads. - sick and tired

Posted: Jul 31, 2010

I am such a good transcriptionist, but so very unqualified for anything else.  Even cashiers need "previous experience."  There was a housekeeping job at a local hospital and a "valet parking attendant."  Surely I can clean and park?

I have SO been there! - Scoobie-Doobie-Doo

[ In Reply To ..]
I left the MT business for good - or so I thought! I went to work with my husband and everything was great for 2 years! He has a carpet and floor business, and I was so enjoying getting out everyday and working hard and talking to people!

Then the economy went south. The gas prices went up. His business was hurting, big-time. Our ship was sinking. I decided to get a 'real' job and went to all the temp agencies around here. Now, back in the day, because of my typing and secretarial skills, I could ALWAYS go to a temp agency and land a job. Not anymore. They had NOTHING, nada.

I found 1 job in Atlanta as a medical office clerk with transcription duties. I was so excited, and they wanted me immediately. New clothes, lunch with the gals in the city! Then I thought about the commute, who would be there for the kids (pick up, etc.). I thought about the traffic and the crazy drivers. I ran a safety check on that area and found that they have SO many crimes happening in that area. I was afraid to take the job. For many reasons, I didn't think I could handle it. It really was in a bad part of town, but I was really looking forward to those fancy clothes and fancy lunches again - just like in the 80s!!!

Well, long story short, I got back in MT, and actually am glad I did. Things are working out pretty good. I was so fortunate to land this job.

I was frustrated like you! I've always been able to get a job, but this economy is just terrible. I saw a LOT of jobs that demanded you be bilingual.

Keep looking. You will find something, I promise, or you may do like I did and realize that right now, maybe MT ain't so bad after all. I know the feeling all too well, though, of when enough is enough.

I hope you find something soon. Hey, valet parking might be fun! Don't laugh, but back when I was younger I worked in housekeeping for a really nice hotel. It was kind of fun, actually!

I guess if I could give you and advice, it would be to downplay your resume. When I was looking, everybody wanted to know why I wasn't transcribing. How can you explain when you've simply had enough...of course, that makes you look like you have a bad attitude....

Anyways, rambling here! No work available right now, so I'm gonna take off and go School Shopping! Oh boy!

I wish you the best and cross my fingers for ya!

Online transcription jobs - Shocking

[ In Reply To ..]
I tried searching for transcription jobs in other industries as well. There were sites that offered plenty of jobs, but you kind of have to bid on them. There were some that paid "up to" $2 an hour saying "WE WELCOME THE PHILIPPINE SECTOR" meaning others are doing the off-shoring thing. I also checked out a transcription job that "paid by the word!" but this meant 0.0015 cents per word. I didn't bother to calculate what this meant in real income. It wasn't medical transcription, but transcribing cell phone messages into something readable. It sounded too good to be true, but remember the transcription is from all walks of life including people who don't have M.D.s including teens that talk jibberish IMO.

Similar Messages:

Scribe Classified Ad For Local ER
Oct 14, 2013

I was looking at local job listings and the hospital here posted ad for medical scribe for the ER physicians. Requirements were ability to stand for long periods of time, good hearing, good typing speeds and must carry laptop style computer up to 12 hour shifts. All this for $8.50 per hour. Ridiculous! Ad has been running for almost a month now. I sure am not applying for that! ...

Job That Took An Hour To Correct Will Not Load. Now I Have Spent At Least 10 Min Trying To Loaf It.
Jun 18, 2015

Nm ...

Would You Choose Webmedx Production Versus Local Hospital Salary Of $17/hour
Aug 13, 2010

Which would be the best choice?  In the event that you had a great account at Webmedx on 3rd shift based on production rates, which would give you the most money?  Decisions, decisions!  Any comments? ...

Lots Of Time Spent On ADT
Apr 29, 2014

I spend enormous amounts of time doing clervical work for free at the beginning of a report..looking up doctor names that are not on the lists we have been given, figuring out which is the date of admit, consult, etc.  If everything was programmed in and we just had to download a report and transcribe, we would be making a lot more and if the speech recognition would stop putting words down that the doctors are not saying so that we do not have to clean it all up we would have more time to ...

Spent Half The Morning
Jul 23, 2014

explaining why I billed what I did on an invoice.  This MD pays by the hour.  He set the hourly wage and now I have to justify why it took as long as it did.  This is a new physican whom I have worked for for only 2-3 weeks in a specialty that is new to me in a state I don't live in. Anyone else ever have to do this? ...

Another Saturday Spent Working
Feb 21, 2015

x ...

I Just Spent 15 Minutes For FREE....
May 14, 2015

typing 8 referring physicians and full addresses in cc because NONE of them were listed in their directory.  FREE!  You are welcome MModal! Last week, I had typed 1100 seconds before the doctor said, "delete all that!"  FREE!  Again, you are welcome MModal! When will they be done lying to get "new blood" so I can get fired already? ...

Why Are We Not Paid For Time Spent Waiting For A Job?
Mar 29, 2013

I saw this on the Nuance board. What am I missing here? It really looks like, according to the Dept of Labor, that we should be paid at least minimum wage for our time waiting for a job to pop up, and not just a lousy 15 mins per day. See the section under "waiting time." http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.htm ...

Spent More Time Manually Entering CCs
Jan 30, 2015

How is that even remotey fair? ...

Out Of Curiosity, Just Spent The Last 45 Min Listening To The DocQ 7 Tutes....sm
Dec 14, 2011

Holy Crow....I knew there were changes made, but didn't think that everything changed.  Nothing on the screen looks the same, starting with the log-in screen which is the only thing that looks simple to use.  There are stupid panels everywhere, top, bottom, left side, right side, and the poor text screen is kinda squished in the middle.  It looks waaaay more complicated than how it is now.  I just want to cry.  I really had no idea that it is basically going to invo ...

I Have Spent The Entire Night Formatting Documents.
Apr 26, 2013

It really hurts the line count bad. So far, I have had a lot of documents that require quite a bit of formatting - H&Ps, consults and ER reports from several facilities with each having different requirements and everyone wanting the ROS and PE different. Also, lack of punctation is hurting a lot too. I can't wait until I get out of here. Just 8 more months and counting! ...

Time Spent Waiting, Check Email, Etc
May 15, 2015

http://callaborlawblog.com/common-california-labor-code-violations/minimum-wage/employer-average-piece-rate-employees-compensation-order-satisfy-requirements-minimum-wage-laws/ ...

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

Local Taxes
Feb 24, 2011

Did I miss something?  I noticed on my paystubs that Medquist/Ultipro is now taking off my local taxes.  Did we get an email about this?  I always had to estimate my local taxes before. ...

Local Anesthesia
Jan 24, 2012

Hi this is a mini op to remove mass on the left hand. He says Anesthesia: Dr. *** "s/l acinic" local with digital block. ...

Anesthesia - MAC With Local...?
Oct 05, 2012

Operative report for removal of a foreign body (wood) in the right ring finger. Anesthesia sentence is very unclear--dictator with an accent mumbling! "ANESTHESIA:  MAC with local [s/l vessel] with metacarpal block [s/l oxygen dioxygen]." Makes no sense. Block also slurrs into the following word which s/l oxygen. ...

Local Texans... Job.
Mar 27, 2013

Saw this ad on FlexJobs and am sharing with those that live in the area... Medical Transcription Clerk III  Agency: Dept of State Health Services  Part Time Regular/Temporary: Regular Job Location: 4615 ALAMEDA AVE City: EL PASO Contact: AccessHR Service Center Telephone: 888-894-4747 Salary Range: $940.88 - $1,364.25 Salary Group: A09 Shift: Days (First) Travel: 5% ...

Med Coding Local Chapters
Oct 11, 2011

Can anyone tell me where to go to find local chapters for medical coders/billers?  I want to attend a Chamber of Commerce meeting and/or ask one of the med coder chapter members what the prospects are for someone like me :  25+ years MT, completed Andrews course, got certified and need a job w/o experience.  (I am still an MT, but seriously want to get out and move forward with medical coding).  I don't want to put all my efforts and hard-earned $$ into something that wo ...

Local Hospital Offer
Dec 28, 2011

In telling my woes to my mom about all the changes at the Web, she of course told others. So I received a call from my "local" hospital's transcription supervisor. They have just created two new positions they are looking to fill. The pay offered is 15.45 an hour plus 15% shift differential for anything after 2 pm. The insurance is awesome, significantly less than what I will be paying for a single policy and available after 30 days of employment. Paid time off of 21 days per year for ...

Local Area Switching To VR
Mar 13, 2012

I have always worked for local hospitals and doctor's offices.  I have never worked through a company, but with most of our local area switching to VR I am having to look to companies for work.  In our local area our transcriptionists usually are paid about 12 cents per line,  but I am noticing most companies pay is substantially lower as i saw an ad for Sten Tel paying only 5-6 cpl.   Could anyone tell me what the norm is for pay with companies?  Thanks for all help. ...

Anyone Local To Valhalla, NY? Med Sec Job At WMC Via Monster.
Jun 09, 2013

. ...

Just Quit A Local Company...
Jun 28, 2013

Quit my job today... I'm not going to say the name of this company but from the info I'm about to give you, you probably will guess it if you have had any experience with them. They watch you like a hawk. You are always feeling like they are watching you very closely - I mean everything you do. Lord help you if you download a very large straight typing report that is more than 30 minutes long and you take a break, you will be called out on it in a nasty email stating your starting time ...

HELP! Getting Inquiries From Local MDs But I Have No Idea How To Respond.
Dec 09, 2009

Yes, I know we get lots of these questions every day but here's one I don't think has been touched on lately.  I was recently approached by an old employer about giving my information to another MD for transcription work. I told her that she can definitely give out my info if she new someone that needed transcription work done.  I didn't really think it would go anywhere, as that's the way it happens in this town, nothing ever comes to fruition. However, today I g ...

CONTACT LOCAL NEWSPAPERS ABOUT LAYOFFS!
Sep 03, 2010

If anyone is in the Atlanta, Georgia area or in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area who was laid off 2 days ago by Webmedx and is obviously still upset about it, as I am, I think it would be a good idea to notify any local newspapers in these 2 cities regarding the recent massive layoff at Webmedx, Inc. I believe the Atlanta office is their headquarters and the Pittsburgh office is their operations office.  I know they also have an office in Brentwood, Tennessee, but I'm ...

Question About Working For Local Physician - (sm)
May 31, 2011

I just have a question for anyone who works for a local physician.  I work FT for an MTSO.  A local doctor asked me last year if I would transcribe for him while his MT was on vacation.  I said yes and I go there next week to train.  My problem is, I don't know what to charge him.  His assistant mentioned it to me on the phone and i said I would tell her when I come to the office next week.  Does anyone who transcribes for a local doc get paid by the hour?  ...

Should I Stay Or Should I Go? I Took A Job At A Local Doctor's Office As
Jun 16, 2012

a scheduler/receptionist.  I took the job because I wasn't making anything typing at home and I thought it would be nice to get out of the house and sharpen some different skills apart from just transcribing.  Plus the office is 5 minutes from my house, days with weekends off, and it's a steady paycheck that does not fluctuate because there's no jobs available or I'm having an off dat, but I hate the job!  On my third day, the lady who was training me had ...

Update...left MM And Took Local Radiology Job
Sep 16, 2012

Enjoying job now, learning Rad not too difficult. Thanks again for the enouragement to change! ...

Local Hospital Looking For Medical Scribe
Oct 01, 2012

Anyone down what an MA certificate is. There is a local hospital looking for a Medical Scribe. It looks like there is where MT is heading. Any thoughts or comments? I am wondering if I should pursue this. I have a straight typing job now, but when it ends, as they all do, I want to still use my skills a job outside the home. ...