A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

As an IC, is it really an option to get paid on time? - Notsure

Posted: Nov 05, 2009

I'm just curious. I have worked as an IC and an employee. With the last job I took as an IC, I remember in the interview the woman speaking with me said "and the woman you'll be working for always pays on time." At the time, I thought that was rather odd. I mean, why would someone need to say that? Of course I get paid on time. Just like they expect their work done on time. Well it was a huge red flag that I ignored, because then on 4 different occasions over the next 10 months I didn't get paid on time. There was some "computer glitch" and I did not get paid on the day my direct deposit was supposed to go in. (BS of course). But I'm just wondering, as an IC, is it really a matter of worrying about if you'll get paid on time? Anyone out there experienced problems because they were a contractor?

My experience... - onemore

[ In Reply To ..]
My experience has been, when a "subcontractor" for a company, you tend to be paid on a "payday", but as a "contractor" with your own physicians, attorneys, etc. you tend to get it when you state due when you submit an invoice. For example, I usually give 30 days to pay. My problem is that with the attorneys I have done work for, I have to send collection notices many times. How do you fight an attorney? :)

Yeah, I have been both.... - Notsure

[ In Reply To ..]
You're right, there is a distinction. To clarify, I should have said "subcontractor." I have contracted certain physician offices as well and I just hand them the bill and stand and wait for them to cut me a check, lol. I guess my shock was that I was a subcontractor, and we had "paydays" and, personally, I live paycheck to paycheck. So when my check is not in the bank, 9 times out of 10 there is a bill due that needs to be paid and it really causes a problem for me. Now, if I were independently wealthy of course it would make no difference, I mean what's a couple days' late right? But imagine if as I subcontractor they assigned me work, I promised to get it turned out in 24 hours, and then didn't get it out for 72 hours? LOL. Yeah, an extra 2 days would really put them up the creek. Thanks for your reply :)

ic pay - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The only time I've ever had problems getting paid was when I contracted for a single doctor practice. He had 2 nurses and 2 secretaries BUT his daughter did all the accounting stuff. She was very sporadic at coming and going and always worked from home. I would submit my invoice and a lot of times not get paid for 2+ weeks and then only after almost daily phone calls. Of course, the doc wasn't much better with his dictations. I would go stretches with nothing and then all of a sudden have up to a month of dictation to pickup and get done ASAP. I don't work weekends or holidays, so this IC position didn't last long. I was very happy when we parted ways.

Now back to the subject at hand, Other than the above situation, I've always gotten paid within 5 working days of submitting my invoice. Most of the time I'm paid the day after.

Similar Messages:

What Is The Report Paid Hours Option For?
May 30, 2011

xxx ...

Anyone Else Not Getting Paid On Time??
Dec 14, 2009

I wonder how some people sleep at night!!!! ...

NSA And Paid Time Off...
May 18, 2012

So, is it legal for nuance to use our "paid time off" because of NSA?? I did not approve or request to use my available paid time off.    This really is not right!! ...

My CCM Says We Have Not Been Paid For Headers All This Time
Sep 13, 2010

but I could absolutely swear I have an email from her ages ago that said we were.  I may spend some of my vacation going through my 350,000 MQ emails to find this. Does anyone really know.  If we weren't; I'm really PO'd I spent any time on them. ...

How Much Are We Paid For Technical Down Time
Jul 14, 2012

I've looked on the website and cant find this info ...

Do We Get Paid Time And A Half Today?
Jul 04, 2012

Can't remember ...

Why Are We Not Paid For Time Spent Waiting For A Job?
Mar 29, 2013

I saw this on the Nuance board. What am I missing here? It really looks like, according to the Dept of Labor, that we should be paid at least minimum wage for our time waiting for a job to pop up, and not just a lousy 15 mins per day. See the section under "waiting time." http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.htm ...

You Cannot Request Time Off Unless You Have Paid Leave
May 01, 2013

It seems to be that it might be illegal to say you cannot request time off unless you have paid leave.  Does anyone know this?  This Nuance company is really awful now it seems to me anyway.  I do not plan to stay here long, too many changes since the takeover.  Bad changes.  ...

Do We Get Paid Our Full Hourly Rate For Down Time
Jan 12, 2013

Do we get paid our full hourly rate for down time? ...

Where Do I Find Info On 15 Minutes Paid Time For NJA?
May 26, 2014

Our group ran out of work today, and it has been a while since that happened, and I don't remember the protocol for getting paid the 15 minutes.    Would someone be kind enough to refer me to where I can read the instructions, or post them?  Thanks for your help. ...

Shift Differential Is Paid If You Work 4-12 Eastern Time
Dec 22, 2013

Just recently started with Nuance and am in Pacific Time. Can anyone tell me if the shift differential is paid if you work 4-12 Eastern time or is it paid based on you working actually 4-12 in your time zone? Thanks ...

"unpaid Time Off" For Production-paid Employees
Jun 26, 2011

Looking to find out from others if this "UTO" is a normal industry-wide policy for production-paid transcriptionists who are not paid for time when lines are not turned in; example, storms, power outages, company's platform down, etc.  Losing pay and bonuses for not working the same hour twice and getting paid for once.  Losing time for sleep, family and medical regimen, too.  What is the norm out there?  This just started recently.  Don't mind not being paid f ...

Must You Be Paid For "no-work" Time? Depending On
May 11, 2015

First, understand that there are two sets of labor laws and regulations - Federal, and those of each state depending on where you live, not where the MTSO is located.  Your MTSO must comply with BOTH the state laws and regs that apply to YOU, and of course those at the Federal level as well. The "no-work" situation will usually fall under what's more commonly called "on-call" time, and most states have very specific regulations regarding compensation that must be paid for "on-call" ti ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

Option To Get Out ...
Sep 20, 2011

Sorry in advance for the length of this post but I've been reading and I just couldn't sit still any longer.  I'm a long-time MQ employee - this is my 14th year.  When I first started out, the income was crazy.  Literally I made more money in bonuses and incentives than I made in my regular production pay.  It was not uncommon for my paychecks to be in the $2000 range.  Over the years, the bonuses and incentives ended, and to help supplement my income (I t ...

There Is Another Option.....
Oct 24, 2013

Our lives have become totally ruined by this company. Unfortunately, commiserating with each other, while helping to alleviate anxiety, will not solve the problem. I have thought of this option, and some friends have suggested the same thing, Class Action Suit!  There must be a way we can recoup our lost wages. I cannot believe that what this company has done to us is legal.  It may take awhile, but aside from finding another job that pays better (which is just not available), I believ ...

Another Option For Transitioning From MT
Mar 24, 2010

Transcribing the dictation of various physician assistants made me wonder what was involved in becoming a PA, so I looked into the PA programs in my state.  I have a BA and already have all the science prereqs, so I decided to apply.  I'm retiring from my full-time job (not medical related) in April and wondered what I would do with myself with just my part-time MT job to keep me busy.  Now I know.  I start in the PA program with the summer session.  If you have a ...

Search Option
Jul 11, 2010

Hi, Is there a search query anywhere on the MTStars website?  I recall there used to be one, but I cannot find it.  Thanks in advance for any help. ...

Failure Is NOT An Option.
Feb 28, 2011

x ...

Unemployment An Option?
Nov 03, 2014

Does anyone know if unemployment is an option with all the OOW? ...

UNEMPLOYMENT AN OPTION.....YES !!!!!!!
Nov 03, 2014

No Work Without Pay Option
Feb 19, 2015

Can we no longer take this option?  In Remedy you only have 2 options to choose, make up or PTO.  I don't want to make up or use my PTO for out of work. What to do?   ...

What Happened To The Search Option?
Oct 12, 2009

When will it be restored? ...

Does Anyone Else Really Miss The Search Option
Oct 19, 2009

in this website?  Sometimes I was able to search for something and find an answer in old threads and not have to post the question and wait.  ...

Am I Crazy Or Is The Suspend Option Gone On DSQ?
Mar 03, 2010

My next job is a stat and I only see Upload, Abandon, Break and Split. ...

Weekly Schedule Option
Mar 05, 2010

Does anyone know if we will have the capability to change schedules weekly in schedule source.  I thought I remember reading once when shedule source was still in its pilot stage that we would have the ability to change our schedules weekly with schedule source or is this just a fancy way of this meaning the "swap board."  ...

Only ONE Health Coverage Option?
Apr 22, 2011

I'm not very knowledgable on this healthcare stuff, but is it legal for them to offer only ONE option for health coverage?  Going up 60 bucks a month for me plus deductible going from 750 to 3000????  This is crazy! ...

Nuance Employees, Do You Have An HSA Or FSA Option Currently?
Nov 04, 2011

I'm reading about the difference between the two of these, and it looks like the employer withholds a portion of your income to cover medical expenses. I don't know if that has to be offered by the employer or if it can be set up somehow by anyone who qualifies due to a high-deductible insurance plan. Do you currently have any HSA or FSA arrangement with Nuance? ...

I Would Like To Do A Search... Is That Option No Longer Available? Nm
Aug 24, 2012

nm ...

Is There An Option To Slave Wages?
Sep 10, 2012

Can we pinpoint the reasons we are working for slave wages and unfair treatment? I'm hearing EMR and TAT, but don't we have the ability to provide the same service directly to physicians with software we can download for free? Didn't most of us provide 24-hour turnaround? Has EMG made it to technical to keep up with? Why would a physician choose to pay an MTSO more than they were paying us as ICs when their primary concerns seems to be saving money? Has anyone surveyed wha ...