A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The World's Longest Invoice - Freelancer's Union - sm

Posted: Apr 27, 2012

Hmmmm:

Freelancers have long been the envy of cubicle-trapped office workers. From the flexible hours to escaping mundane office politics, there's a lot to love about operating solo.

Yet, one major downfall that almost every freelancer experiences is unpaid invoices. The fact of the matter is that if a self-employed freelancer gets shortchanged, the cost of taking the issue to court is often greater than what the bill is worth.

But now freelancers are joining forces to fight back against "deadbeat clients" by creating the world's longest invoice, reports Business Week.

The civic action campaign launched Thursday is led by the Freelancers Union--a non-profit organization that provides health insurance to freelance workers--and invites freelancers to submit to their running tally of unpaid bills online.

At press time, the invoice had climbed to over $8.6 million in unpaid work, ranging from a slew of professions including web development, design, writing and illustration.

The New York Observer notes web-related services generated some of the highest rates named on the invoice.

So what's the point? Brokelyn--a web magazine about living in Brooklyn, N.Y.--reports that the Freelance Union plans to submit the total staggering amount to Albany legislators on May 22 to support the Payment Protection Act. The proposed legislation would allow freelancers to submit their complaints to the Department of Labor who would then chase up the client for non-payment.

“We hope the invoice will help them to see the scope and depth of the problem,” union spokesman Dan Lavoie told Brokelyn.

Thanks for posting this and the - reminder

[ In Reply To ..]
on Freelancer's Union!

I like it. Employee or IC, no matter what the job, - if we do it, we deserve to get paid. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

What Is The Longest You Have Been Kept On QA?
Nov 06, 2009

I have been on QA now at this one company for 4 months!  What is the longest some of you have been on QA?  I wasn't kept on QA this long when I was a newbie!  And all the other places I have worked, I was off of QA in a few days.  What is a company's reasoning for keeping MTs on QA for such a long time?  So, they don't have to pay you more.....can get rid of you faster if they need to....I just don't get it.  ...

Wow, I Think I Have Found The Longest
Feb 22, 2010

Encephaloduroarteriomyosynangiosis.  Jeesh. Anyone have anything longer?  ...

What Is The Longest Report You Have Ever Done?
Feb 05, 2015

I got a report of close to 5000 today.  Did not think I would ever get it done.  I wonder if the receiving doctor bothers to read through all the information? ...

IC's And Invoice
May 13, 2011

For those of you who are IC's, how long do you keep your invoices after you have been paid?  ...

IC Invoice Template
Nov 26, 2012

For my fellow IC's out there, does anyone have a template for an invoice, or a link as to how I can find one. I've usually done my own billing before, but my counting program in my other computer did all of this for me. Now I have to create one, and have no idea where to go or what to do. Thanks for all your help! psw ...

Submitting An IC Invoice
Mar 26, 2014

My last MT job was as an employee, and I will be starting a new job as an IC soon.  It will be my first time so I'm looking for helpful MTs and their instructions on how to do this.  I will be working on the Emdat program.  Is there an easy way to copy the log from that platform and submit those numbers on the invoice? How often do I submit an invoice, and is there a software program suggested? Thanks in advance!  ...

Charge For Invoice Prep
Jan 01, 2011

I am an IC. Just told must invoice company I have been with for 5 years, with lines per day, cpl, etc. Do I charge for this and if so how much? Never had to do this before. ...

Best Way To Invoice For Billing? Need Advice!!
Mar 12, 2011

Need advice on best way to go about invoicing - I'm used to being an employee and now I'm an IC. Kinda clueless! Help?! PLEASE?? ...

MT Stars Invoice Generator
Aug 29, 2012

I have Windows 7 and tried downloading an invoice generator I found on this site, but it just created a mess on my computer! Does anyone know what link to use to get this generator? I ised it on an old computer I no longer own and I am having trouble getting the generator correctly downloaded.  Any advice/assistance would be great! Thanks! ...

Line Count/invoice Software For IC
Jan 23, 2010

Does anyone know of a good line counting/invoice software to use with Microsoft Word for independent contractors?  Thanks. ...

MTStars FlashCount & Invoice Generator
Aug 12, 2010

Does anyone know where I can find a good clean download of this program?  I have tried going to the mtstars.com website to the download site & after I hit the download button & then tell it to run, it comes back and says "Error in compressed file-bad CRC"--have tried numerous times.  Can't find anywhere else to download it from.  I had to wipe out my hard drive & reinstall everything & I really want to get this program back on there.  Help!! ...

How To Type Up An INVOICE For The Clinic I Work For
Nov 23, 2010

I am a new transcriptionist working from home for a local clinic.  I am getting paid 13 cents per line based on a 65 character line (including spaces) and am typing this thru Microsoft Word Office 2007. It shows the line count and character count at the bottom of the page in a box I can open up.  Do I just take what the line count says it is and that is my line count for that document? Or do I need to divide the character count w/spaces by 65 for the line count?  Second question.. ...

Line Counting Software And Invoice Generator
Oct 11, 2014

Looking for a line counting software program that also generates invoices.  I used to use Abacus SE but it is not compatible with Windows 8 or Word 2013.  What do you use for a Windows 8 computer?  Thanks.  ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Line Count Software With Invoice Capability
Nov 23, 2009

Can anyone recommend a line count software with invoice capability? What does anyone think about Michelle Miller’s Line Counter and Invoice Program 2.0? Thnaks for the help guys.   ...

Need Help! Starting Business. Need A Decent Line Count/invoice
Jan 04, 2015

Line count and invoice software that would be compatible with Word 2003.  Ideas?  THANKS!!  Free is always good, but I'll pay a bit if need be. ...

Longest Medical Word, Or Any Word Apparently
Jun 04, 2010

Just thought it was interesting.     pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis:   pneu⋅mo⋅no⋅ul⋅tra⋅mi⋅cro⋅scop⋅ic⋅sil⋅i⋅co⋅ vol⋅ca⋅no⋅co⋅ni⋅o⋅sis   // //  /ˈnumÉ™noʊˌÊŒltrəËŒmaɪkrəËŒskÉ’pɪkˈsɪlɪËŒkoÊŠvÉ’lËŒkeɪnoʊËŒkoÊŠniˈoÊŠsɪs, ˈnyu-/ Show Spelled Pronu ...

We Need A Union
Jan 18, 2013

nm ...

What A Union Could've Done For MTs
Jan 07, 2014

I kinda liked the big o' tire! http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/goodyear-france/index.html ...

UNION
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone done research on clerical or MT unions? Any organizers or organizations you can suggest?  An internet search didn't yield anything, but I sent an email to a "service" union (closest I could find), haven't heard back.  All this industry has ever done is decrease pay under the guise of making compensation competitive, which is to say "If you'll work for X company for that little, we'll lower our pay too."  This job and the pride that came with it is a ...

MTs Can't Get A Union Going But Medical Pot
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Some Of You People Below Need A Union
Apr 19, 2011

Rather than turning against each other as some of you are starting to do below, it would be really great if you had a union, one  that worked to make sure you are treated fairly and rules aren't changed that make it harder for you to do your work and make a living. ...

Formation Of A Union
Sep 11, 2012

Is anyone really interested?  I have started doing some research, and starting a union is not as far-fetched as we think.  We would need 30% of the employees to sign up for it.  Check out Office and Professional Employees International Union.  They might be able to help us.  http://www.opeiu.org/ ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

Does Anyone Belong To A Union?
Sep 03, 2014

I am just wondering if anyone out there belongs to a union like SEIU? I know they mainly represent nurses and home health aides, etc., but I wonder if you joined it would that be of any benefit, would they be able to help with our working conditions, would you be able to elect their benefits rather than the MTSO ones? I am not interested in AHDI because basically it seems to provide absolutely NO job security or protection, no benefits to joining, and in fact your reward for obtaining their cer ...

Need To Start A Union
Oct 23, 2014

OK transcriptionists.......We are all in the same boat that seems to be sinking.  I am throwing everyone a life preserver.  I know I can offer the doctors out there an easy way to dictate that is "clear, understandable, personable" (with transcriptionists assigned to their own personalized physicians).  This is the way I have done this for 20 years.  It worked great.  I have a connection that will integrate transcription into the EMR that they are using.  When I spo ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...

Union Message Looks Like Deleted
Oct 14, 2009

I guess I could just rest on my laurels (whatever those are) and let it be but must complain, yes complain, about the totao lack of concern for those of us who have had our pay cut 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to be. We absolutely need someone to represent us. ...

Do You Support Thoughts Of A Union?
Aug 23, 2010

If you do, what are your thoughts on CMT? In reading the thread going on right now, I see MTs saying it's worthless, it's a rip-off, etc.  But what do you think a union would really do? Any PROFESSIONAL organization SHOULD have standards and should have a MINIMUM certification.  Like it or not, AHDI is OUR organization and the CMT is what is being pushed as the MINIMUM standard.  Credentials do NOT guarantee higher pay.  They say you have met the minimum standards ...

More Silly Union Talk
Jan 31, 2011

Before responding, please read this post carefully. Yes, I’m talking union here, but NOT an MT union which would be pointless. Unfortunately we’ve missed that opportunity. Also, this post is intended for experienced professional MTs and include my thoughts on several topics that started down below. And hold onto your hats; this is a long one.   I’ve chimed in on this subject before, but I wanted to make an official post to put it out there and get valuable feedback fro ...