A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What a union could've done for MTs - poorhouse

Posted: Jan 07, 2014

I kinda liked the big o' tire!

Tongue out

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/goodyear-france/index.html

A union could not have stopped technology - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Unions can't prevent an industry from moving to automation.

Unions can negotiate - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
for fair holiday pay, PTO time, higher base wages.

Unions can protect a worker from harassment/threats. I have been on both sides. I had a good boss and a good company and there was no need for a union. I have worked for a bad company where one of the bosses took a dislike to me (I unknowingly embarrassed her by pointing out an error to her boss) who was bound and determined to get me fired. The union stepped in and protected me. I see both sides of the issue, but this industry would greatly benefit from a union. Restaurant workers are organizing and even home day care providers. I guess you have to hit rock bottom first.

A good example is nurses. Wow, what a difference unions made! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe marketing is the answer - the other white meat
[ In Reply To ..]
Farm producers are a fragmented group like MTs. The pork producers came up with a "check off" and paid for their other white meat advertising. The Dairy producers in each state have something similar and promote their dairy products.

The thing about bringing work back to the US, is that you need public support. We are now "buying" America more. We need a marketing agency to promote US transcription to the hospitals and doctors, driven by the patients and "patriots" who believe in "buy America."

While I'm in favor of unions - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
they have not been able to save the jobs that can be sent off shore. Look at all the garment workers as well as the auto workers before the jobs started coming back.
good points but dont get me started on nurses. UGH - overpaid and think they are
[ In Reply To ..]
God's gift to the earth. can't stand em.

Technology - Anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
It is probably true that unions step in to protect workers' rights. However, I am familiar with several hospitals in my state and neighboring states whose MTs were union members. Those MTs lost their jobs when their facilities outsourced or went to voice recognition/point and click systems. The union did nothing to help them keep their jobs. I know a lot of people think a union would work for MTs but I don't quite see how. 99% of the work force seems to be at home, so as far as working conditions that's difficult for a union to enforce. The other thing is that your employer needs to be a "union shop" and pay union wages. How many MTSOs can you see doing this? There is not enough work to go around now for everyone, and more would just get sent offshore. The existing MTSOs would have to close because they would not be able to get new accounts (I think that is already a problem) and would not be able to afford to pay the higher wages. They are trying to please their clients, many of whom seem fine with getting the work done as cheaply as possible. I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but there are so many factors coming into play that need to be considered.

I think that a union would have worked.... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
via lobbying for legislation to keep our medical records from being offshored, maybe part of the HIPAA legislation.
Shoulda woulda coulda doesnt matter too late - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Technology won anyway..And obamacare cutting doctors income will be the end, they are typing their own reports or the med students will be doing it here soon. We are done, stick a fork in it and accept the fate..

many moons ago - i remember

[ In Reply To ..]
There was something going around that I had signed that said I would be part of the MT union if it started and then it kind of faded away. This was 10 years ago or more. I guess it never happened.

Similar Messages:

We Need A Union
Jan 18, 2013

nm ...

UNION
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone done research on clerical or MT unions? Any organizers or organizations you can suggest?  An internet search didn't yield anything, but I sent an email to a "service" union (closest I could find), haven't heard back.  All this industry has ever done is decrease pay under the guise of making compensation competitive, which is to say "If you'll work for X company for that little, we'll lower our pay too."  This job and the pride that came with it is a ...

MTs Can't Get A Union Going But Medical Pot
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Some Of You People Below Need A Union
Apr 19, 2011

Rather than turning against each other as some of you are starting to do below, it would be really great if you had a union, one  that worked to make sure you are treated fairly and rules aren't changed that make it harder for you to do your work and make a living. ...

Formation Of A Union
Sep 11, 2012

Is anyone really interested?  I have started doing some research, and starting a union is not as far-fetched as we think.  We would need 30% of the employees to sign up for it.  Check out Office and Professional Employees International Union.  They might be able to help us.  http://www.opeiu.org/ ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

Does Anyone Belong To A Union?
Sep 03, 2014

I am just wondering if anyone out there belongs to a union like SEIU? I know they mainly represent nurses and home health aides, etc., but I wonder if you joined it would that be of any benefit, would they be able to help with our working conditions, would you be able to elect their benefits rather than the MTSO ones? I am not interested in AHDI because basically it seems to provide absolutely NO job security or protection, no benefits to joining, and in fact your reward for obtaining their cer ...

Need To Start A Union
Oct 23, 2014

OK transcriptionists.......We are all in the same boat that seems to be sinking.  I am throwing everyone a life preserver.  I know I can offer the doctors out there an easy way to dictate that is "clear, understandable, personable" (with transcriptionists assigned to their own personalized physicians).  This is the way I have done this for 20 years.  It worked great.  I have a connection that will integrate transcription into the EMR that they are using.  When I spo ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...

Union Message Looks Like Deleted
Oct 14, 2009

I guess I could just rest on my laurels (whatever those are) and let it be but must complain, yes complain, about the totao lack of concern for those of us who have had our pay cut 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to be. We absolutely need someone to represent us. ...

Do You Support Thoughts Of A Union?
Aug 23, 2010

If you do, what are your thoughts on CMT? In reading the thread going on right now, I see MTs saying it's worthless, it's a rip-off, etc.  But what do you think a union would really do? Any PROFESSIONAL organization SHOULD have standards and should have a MINIMUM certification.  Like it or not, AHDI is OUR organization and the CMT is what is being pushed as the MINIMUM standard.  Credentials do NOT guarantee higher pay.  They say you have met the minimum standards ...

More Silly Union Talk
Jan 31, 2011

Before responding, please read this post carefully. Yes, I’m talking union here, but NOT an MT union which would be pointless. Unfortunately we’ve missed that opportunity. Also, this post is intended for experienced professional MTs and include my thoughts on several topics that started down below. And hold onto your hats; this is a long one.   I’ve chimed in on this subject before, but I wanted to make an official post to put it out there and get valuable feedback fro ...

One Of The Reasons A Union Will Never Work
Feb 03, 2011

"I am looking for a transcription company that does SOAP notes preferably. I have 15 years of transcription experience and would like to do something part-time and weekends." I read this today.  I considered it could be a bait post since not far under it is one equal eyebrow-raising. But here's an MT who can say, "I have 15 years experience" and I would venture to guess, couldn't hold a candle to many of the newer and older acute-care MTs. Years of experience really becomes mea ...

The Reality Of The UNION Talk
Apr 25, 2011

The only person REALLY interested is apparently the person who recently posted.  ****** This followup is posted mostly to point out the REALITY and that's that MTs will NEVER unionize :)  It's just a topic that comes up, everybody creates fervor for their POV and then it all goes away (thank goodness)!   ...

Union For Medical Transcriptionists
Jul 11, 2011

I know this idea has been tossed around a lot but yet nothing has been done about it (to my knowledge - if someone knows different, please correct me). I am in agreement that we as transcriptionists need to band together so that we don't get treated unfairly and not paid what we are actually worth. I know there are many of us that have chosen medical transcription as our career and are still holding on and sticking through the changes. How do you go about creating a union for transcriptio ...

Medical Transcription Union
Oct 03, 2012

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this lately and I am just wondering, does anybody have any idea what we, MTs, would have to do to get a union started?  I have read the posts below about how much the big wigs in our company are making and how I have been working in this business for quite some time and instead of making more, I am making less.  I have never had a raise, but to get another job making maybe half a cent a line more than what I was making, only to lose that little incr ...

I Am On Board For The Union And Thank You For Getting The Info
Oct 05, 2012

What about India?  I have always been under the impression that we are a minority in this company, we being US MTs.  Won't Nuance just send all the work to India and be done with us?  I wonder if joining/forming a union would protect us from that... Just wanted to get discussion going about this.  Of course, they are sending the work overseas because it is cost-effective, and maybe I'm wrong, but I think we are in the very small minority and most of the work is done ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike. Sm
Oct 05, 2012

I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating striking even work for any of the MTSOs discussed. You have to be a union me ...

We Desperately Need A UNION! I've Thought It For Years. SM
Mar 15, 2010

I was reading the posts below from the complainers complaining about the complainers, and I cannot believe there are so many deluded and ignorant MTs out there who believe that 3 cpl for VR and 8 cpl for transcription is a fair wage --- NO, not just a fair wage, they actually think it's something to sing about! When I started in this profession over 20 years ago, medical transcriptionists were a well respected part of the HIM team.  I earned $13 per hour back in the late 1980s!  ...

MT Week / Take A Union Break - Monday
May 15, 2011

Since apparently we MTs aren't ready to go on strike en masse - and some are deadset against it - how about this Monday, for MT Week, Take A Union Break, and watch an informative video, which talks about people getting fired for union organizing: Just Google: Mike Elk Video Stop Unionbusting Interestingly, it's two men talking: Would the video come across differently, if two women were talking about union busting? How about union busting as it affects telecommuters and other a ...

MT Week / Tuesday / Take A Union Break
May 16, 2011

Suggested Activity: Keep Track of Your Donations I've heard time and again the complaint that MTs are expected to do work for which they are NOT being compensated. Well, there's a name for that – it's called "a donation." Starting today, keep track of the donations you make as an MT to your company – you can even print up a form, so you can keep track for an entire month – is it the header you don't get paid for? What exactly are the items in the header you ...

MT Week / Wednesday / Take A Union Break
May 18, 2011

Suggested Activity: Check out this union that actually worksâ€Â¦and send greetings! All you need to do is Google: Hospital Workers, Facing Layoffs, Launch Counterattack On Executives The union involved is National Union of Healthcare Workersâ€Â¦and guess what – when they were asked to make big concessions, they said no – and pointed out how much money the hospital bigwigs were getting – why not start with cutting THEIR pay, instead of asking the average worker to embrace painf ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike? Really? Misinformation.
Oct 09, 2012

Only a Union can call a strike. sm - ProUnion Posted: Oct 5th, 2012 - 2:56 pm I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating s ...

The World's Longest Invoice - Freelancer's Union
Apr 27, 2012

Hmmmm:       Freelancers have long been the envy of cubicle-trapped office workers. From the flexible hours to escaping mundane office politics, there's a lot to love about operating solo. Yet, one major downfall that almost every freelancer experiences is unpaid invoices. The fact of the matter is that if a self-employed freelancer gets shortchanged, the cost of taking the issue to court is often greater than what the bill is worth. But now freelancers are joining ...

I Wonder If AHDI Could Be Closed And Reopened Structured As A Union
Sep 12, 2012

It would only work if we kept the skeleton of the organization, throughout anyone in any position of authority who has ever gone overseas or been part of sending work overseas. They would not be eligible to serve in any capacity. We would benefit from the albeit small membership still there and could build from that point. In a union, the members are the boss. If the leaders don't act in our interests, they will be gone. Why wouldn't that work? I think it would be too difficult to st ...

How Would We Get Started With The Service Employees International Union
Jan 21, 2013

x ...

Hey, I Read An Article Somewhere About Virtual Organizing For Union Purposes.
Jun 12, 2015

I read somewhere that the employees of Gawker, an on-line news medium, had organized and voted for a union. They did this completely virtually, over computers, thereby bypassing management's chance to try to stop the effort. I am wondering if we should do the same thing. I plan on doing a little more research on it. Wouldn't that frost Nuance's little cookies if we could do something like that?? ...