A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

charge for invoice prep - elonmt

Posted: Jan 01, 2011

I am an IC. Just told must invoice company I have been with for 5 years, with lines per day, cpl, etc. Do I charge for this and if so how much? Never had to do this before.

charge for invoice - 1mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Kind of sounds like my situation. I work as an IC, worked for one MTSO for about 9 yrs and then they told me I had to start invoicing. I also invoice a 2nd MTSO.
Do not charge for either; basically just sending them a bill.

As above, you are just sending a bill - sm - ECMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you start charging for bill processing I predict you will not have that IC position for long. No one charges to send a bill, late payment yes, but not for actually billing the client what is due to yourself for the work done. I bill my two IC accounts every two weeks, one is detailed with all the work done (all jobs listed), the other is just a total due. If you do not have a any line counting software I recommend Abacus, but there are others out there and some are free, just less options on those versions of course.

Thanks for the help. - elonmt

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Please learn what being an IC means - mtxo

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're an IC and you have been for 5 years, you should already realize that all along you should have been invoicing for your lines. If you are an IC, it means you are a small business owner. As such, you perform a service and then you bill for those services. You would not charge to bill someone, that's not even sensible.

You also should have provided THEM with a contract to your standards (even if all you do is take their contract and make it your own).

Do you have terms spelled out as to how you bill THEM? As to how often? How about how much notice is needed for you or them to terminate your services?

This is a huge problem in MT. If people want to be IC or call themselves IC, they really should understand that it doesn't mean "I'm just not an employee." It means I own a business and this is the service I provide and here are the rules by which I provide it.

Reply - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
In my case, I understand what an IC is, but the MTSO/client does not, or does not feel the need to comply with the rules. My choice, as I see it, is to go with their program or quit. If I were to exert my rights and present them with my own contract, I would likely be terminated. I tried this once, and it did not go well. Since I like the account that they have provided me, I choose to stay. Thankfully, they have paid accurately and on time.

As for taxes, I cannot afford a personal accountant, cannot even afford to pay an accountant with the thought that the fee would be deductible next year. But, I do keep good records and deduct what I can. The software that I have used each year has not disappointed me yet; it cost about $89.

Similar Messages:

IC's And Invoice
May 13, 2011

For those of you who are IC's, how long do you keep your invoices after you have been paid?  ...

IC Invoice Template
Nov 26, 2012

For my fellow IC's out there, does anyone have a template for an invoice, or a link as to how I can find one. I've usually done my own billing before, but my counting program in my other computer did all of this for me. Now I have to create one, and have no idea where to go or what to do. Thanks for all your help! psw ...

Submitting An IC Invoice
Mar 26, 2014

My last MT job was as an employee, and I will be starting a new job as an IC soon.  It will be my first time so I'm looking for helpful MTs and their instructions on how to do this.  I will be working on the Emdat program.  Is there an easy way to copy the log from that platform and submit those numbers on the invoice? How often do I submit an invoice, and is there a software program suggested? Thanks in advance!  ...

Best Way To Invoice For Billing? Need Advice!!
Mar 12, 2011

Need advice on best way to go about invoicing - I'm used to being an employee and now I'm an IC. Kinda clueless! Help?! PLEASE?? ...

MT Stars Invoice Generator
Aug 29, 2012

I have Windows 7 and tried downloading an invoice generator I found on this site, but it just created a mess on my computer! Does anyone know what link to use to get this generator? I ised it on an old computer I no longer own and I am having trouble getting the generator correctly downloaded.  Any advice/assistance would be great! Thanks! ...

Line Count/invoice Software For IC
Jan 23, 2010

Does anyone know of a good line counting/invoice software to use with Microsoft Word for independent contractors?  Thanks. ...

MTStars FlashCount & Invoice Generator
Aug 12, 2010

Does anyone know where I can find a good clean download of this program?  I have tried going to the mtstars.com website to the download site & after I hit the download button & then tell it to run, it comes back and says "Error in compressed file-bad CRC"--have tried numerous times.  Can't find anywhere else to download it from.  I had to wipe out my hard drive & reinstall everything & I really want to get this program back on there.  Help!! ...

How To Type Up An INVOICE For The Clinic I Work For
Nov 23, 2010

I am a new transcriptionist working from home for a local clinic.  I am getting paid 13 cents per line based on a 65 character line (including spaces) and am typing this thru Microsoft Word Office 2007. It shows the line count and character count at the bottom of the page in a box I can open up.  Do I just take what the line count says it is and that is my line count for that document? Or do I need to divide the character count w/spaces by 65 for the line count?  Second question.. ...

The World's Longest Invoice - Freelancer's Union
Apr 27, 2012

Hmmmm:       Freelancers have long been the envy of cubicle-trapped office workers. From the flexible hours to escaping mundane office politics, there's a lot to love about operating solo. Yet, one major downfall that almost every freelancer experiences is unpaid invoices. The fact of the matter is that if a self-employed freelancer gets shortchanged, the cost of taking the issue to court is often greater than what the bill is worth. But now freelancers are joining ...

Line Counting Software And Invoice Generator
Oct 11, 2014

Looking for a line counting software program that also generates invoices.  I used to use Abacus SE but it is not compatible with Windows 8 or Word 2013.  What do you use for a Windows 8 computer?  Thanks.  ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Line Count Software With Invoice Capability
Nov 23, 2009

Can anyone recommend a line count software with invoice capability? What does anyone think about Michelle Miller’s Line Counter and Invoice Program 2.0? Thnaks for the help guys.   ...

Need Help! Starting Business. Need A Decent Line Count/invoice
Jan 04, 2015

Line count and invoice software that would be compatible with Word 2003.  Ideas?  THANKS!!  Free is always good, but I'll pay a bit if need be. ...

Prep
Aug 27, 2010

When the doctor says "there was some liquid stool and prep left in the colon.." are you supposed to type it "preparation"?  ...

Best RMT/CMT Prep Course To Take Is....?
Sep 03, 2011

Hey everyone! I'm looking into taking an RMT prep course to prepare me for the RMT exam and then will be going for the CMT exam later on.  I took my MT training with Career Step, but they keep pushing the time frame on re-releasing their RMT prep course back later and later.  It was due to release this August and now it will be mid-fall. I got an e-mail from M-Tec the other day about a RMT prep course they have, which was priced well and seemed to take a reasonable amount of tim ...

RMT Prep Courses
Feb 22, 2010

I have a question regarding the different prep courses offered for the RMT exam. There is one offered through OAK Horizons and one offered through Career Steps. I am wondering if anyone has used them and found them to be helpful at all or a complete waist of money. I really want to earn my RMT status, but I graduated from my mt course a little over a year ago and think that I could really use a refresher course. Any thoughts about these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! ...

Hemorrhoid Prep ?
Jun 30, 2010

ESL doctor dictating a hemorrhoid preparation s/l anoate, NOaid, anuate, anuH.  Really lost on this one.  Have been looking for hours so any help is appreciated.   ...

Best Credentialing Prep Course?
Nov 15, 2011

My company is offering an incentive in pay if I get credentialized, so I am going to go for CMT.     My question to all of you is which course is the best to take?  I see that Career Step, M-Tec, and Omniscribe offer prep courses, but I don't want to waste time and money on these if they will not adequately prepare me for the exam.  ...

Sweat Prep Test?
Feb 21, 2010

Is this a test?  I've searched it and find very little - maybe hearing it wrong? ...

CMT Exam Test Prep
Nov 10, 2010

After being so tired of not being taken seriously and dealing with management shifts that don't know me from Jane, I really would like to take the CMT test.  I've been doing this for 13 years so not a newbie but honestly the test scares me.  I would like to take one of the prep course but don't really know which one to take.  I don't want to overdue if not needed and the prices for the courses vary by quite a bit.  AHDI has multiple classes listed but I� ...

Anyone Taken The Test And Used The CMT Prep Quizzes CDs?
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone taken the test and used the CMT prep quizzes CDs?  Are they useful for the test? ...

Help With ORIF Procedure Prep
Apr 11, 2012

Once the manipulation was completed, the tourniquet was placed around the upper thigh and the left lower extremity was prepped with s/l prellgo/perlgo and draped in a sterile fashion.    Thanks! ...

AAPC CPC Prep Course (4 Month)
Jul 30, 2012

Hi - Has anyone here taken the 4-month AAPC CPC Preparation course?  How did you do on the CPC Exam?  ...

Fluoroscopy Sterile Prep
Sep 17, 2013

Extremely strong Israeli accent performing cervical ESI using some type of solution for sterile prep and drape that sounds like chlorograt.  Any suggestions?? Am drawing a complete blank. ...

Chloraseptic Prep Stick?
Feb 20, 2014

Has anyone heard of chloraseptic prep stick for knee surgery. ...

Feedback On AAPC CPC Prep Course
Feb 08, 2015

I am asking that anyone who has taken this course to please give me your opinion about it. I am specifically wondering if it does truly prepare you to pass the CPC exam. Thank for your replies. ...

Fluid Aspirate - S/l Corahexadine Prep ??
Nov 10, 2009

x ...

Carol Buck Coding Prep Course
May 07, 2010

Is anyone familiar with all the Carol Buck books for coding certification training?  I'm attempting to go through her 2010 Step-By-Step Medical Coding book and workbook along with the online "course" through Elsevier that accompanies the text.  My plan is to finish this and then move on to her The Next Step Advanced coding book and workbook, and then go through her 2010 Online Internship.  Here is what the publisher says about the "internship."  Get the practice you nee ...

AHDI CMT Prep CD Bundle Question
Mar 17, 2011

I am thinking of buying the CMT Prep Quiz CD Bundle from AHDI. but, I want to make sure it is completely current with the third edition of the BOS. Has anyone bought these and what did you think? Where they helpful in taking the CMT exam? I notice there is an RMT Blueprint available, but sold out. So, wondering if I should just wait for the RMT and CMT Blueprints to come out??? Thanks for any info! ...

Prep Material For An Elbow Injection
Apr 12, 2012

After appropriate preoperative evaluation including informed consent, the patient's right elbow medial side was prepped with (    ).  Using a sterile technique, the solution of lidocaine, Sensorcaine, and dexamethasone was injected in and around his medial epicondyle as well as the flexor pronator muscle, flexor pronator muscle mass, and the brachialis tendon. The quality of my voice note is very bad and so I'll give you some sounds like options. Cordrop Clo ...

CPC Review/prep Book Recommendations Please
Jan 25, 2013

I am currently a coding student, but worked as a transcriptionist for 13+ years. I am getting an associates degree and plan to graduate in the spring next year. What review or exam prep books will help prepare me for the CPC exam? Thanks in advance   ...