A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

More silly union talk - no1joe

Posted: Jan 31, 2011

Before responding, please read this post carefully. Yes, I’m talking union here, but NOT an MT union which would be pointless. Unfortunately we’ve missed that opportunity. Also, this post is intended for experienced professional MTs and include my thoughts on several topics that started down below. And hold onto your hats; this is a long one.

I’ve chimed in on this subject before, but I wanted to make an official post to put it out there and get valuable feedback from my colleagues (and when I say valuable I mean carefully thought-out opinions on the subject whether or not you agree with my POV). I will use this information as part of my decision-making process as to whether or not I am going to dedicate the next several years of my life going back to school and be thrown out into the real world in my 40s to pursue a new career. I really don’t want to be a broke student and most likely lose most of what I still own in the process (umm…. I already went to school when the time was appropriate out of high school), but this MT ship is sinking FAST. However, IMO, I see a potential life boat that could possibly help save the career that I actually enjoy doing and that I am extremely good at (and paid lots of money to learn how to do several years ago).

Let’s face facts. The “golden years” of MT are OVER, done, bye-bye. Take a moment, mourn the loss, take a deep breath, and accept it (I‘m not going to get into the specifics. We all know why with all the offshoring, VR, and such). Let’s regroup and take a look at what we’re left with. What do we have to offer?

1. We are fluent English-speaking individuals. Won’t find this offshore.

2. We have excellent grammar skills (or well above average to say the least) and adhere to a standard that takes years to memorize so you don‘t have to stop to reference a book. Won’t find this offshore or with new MTs.

3. We have extensive knowledge of medical terminology. We’ve been there, done that, and have this knowledge based on years of experience that can only be gained by being in the field (and even worse being in the cesspool of the field where you never know what you’re going to come across). Won’t find this with new MTs or with some offshore.

4. If we don’t know it, we know how to find it QUICKLY! Won’t find this with newbs.

Now, the way the MT field is or is quickly heading, we have offshore/newbies producing junk, and we also have VR producing junk (I will address front-end later). Some of this junk doesn’t even make sense! We’ve seen examples of it. Companies cannot provide a final product that is so botched up that it’s shameful even if the savings for the client are astronomical (and if they keep doing this, clients might as well go to front end… MTSOs know this). Therefore, what is going to be in demand? Skilled medical editors (fluent English speakers with excellent grammar skills and extensive medical terminology experience who know the BOS like the back of their hand and how to research effectively). Hello…. THAT’S US! Let offshore, the new, and the robots have the transcription end of it… let us fix it and pay us reasonably to do it!

Now, on the editing side of things, I believe most of us were “tricked,” for lack of a better word, into accepting editing positions when they were first coming around. How many of us heard the good old “Yes, you’ll be taking a line rate cut, but you’ll be able to increase your productivity so much that you’ll be making more!”? Well, it worked, and most of us are now sitting and making peanuts fixing reports full of mistakes produced by VR. If we knew how bad this was going to be, would we have accepted such miserable line compensation to do it? Now we’re stuck because this low line rate has become the standard offer. We need to - ACROSS THE BOARD - start demanding more money for medical editing. Bottom line: We deserve to be making more money for the skills we have - the skills the companies need. If this means that the going rate for medical documentation is going to increase to the client… fine. (Believe me, the client will find a way to fit it in the budget… even if that means ultimately raising costs to the patient, and although I feel that patient care is a priority, we are NOT volunteers). If this means that the MTSOs will start skimming from other areas to make up the difference… fine. I don’t care where it comes from. It needs to come from somewhere.

Now… I know what some of you are thinking: “This will just push everything to front-end!” Really? Think about it. Do you know any doctor, PA, nurse practitioner, etc., who enjoys having to dedicate hours of their day to dictate? Now they have to dictate and edit? I don’t see that going over very well. How about some of those accents? I don’t see the potential overtime being paid out by the facility to have someone qualified to dictate the report and edit it at the same time going over very well either. This is just my crystal ball here, and I would really like to know your thoughts on this. The way I see it, front-end is our biggest threat here. However, with the mentality of “the enemy of my enemy is my friend,” guess who just became our BFFs… the MTSOs. They are the last ones who want to see facilities go front end. If they keep charging facilities $$ for junk, facilities might as well go front-end and leave the MTSO behind. If they don’t have us to fix the junk, what do they have to offer the client? With that being said, we have leverage at this point. If we all walked if they weren‘t willing to work with us, what would they do? Now, here’s the biggie: Would you be willing to collectively walk to ensure decent compensation as a medical editor? I would. Unfortunately, I don’t think that I would get the same answer from many out there.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I really look forward to hearing your opinions. I wish I was a better organizer and could get the ball rolling on something to make things better for everyone and make this a wonderful career as it was a few years ago. Unfortunately, I am not. However, at this point, even though there would be a lot of kinks to work out if an ME union were to ever be formed (please comment on them), I would be the first in line to stand by it… even if it failed. At least I would fail with some pride left.

very interesting thoughts there... - NocturnalHooter

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm going to go a bit random and not so much point-by-point, but here goes...

Yes, I think you should pursue going back to college for something other than MT. Just choose wisely and make the best use of resources available to help pay for your education (Pell grants and scholarships before student loans).

About "front-end" EMR: Yes, I believe that will fully take over most clinic work within the next few years. I had the distinct displeasure of seeing a new doctor twice in the past couple weeks, and he was in his sixth and seventh weeks of fully computerized EMR in front of the patients. In other words, he had to hunt-and-peck every detail of my visit into his laptop while I didn't do a very good job of biting my tongue. He was extremely frustrated and openly told me that the administrators were requiring the highest-paid professional in the business to do the work of the lowest-paid office staff, and it was taking him three times longer to do it. He clearly did not feel it was worth his time or skill-set to be his own transcriptionist, but his bosses (hospital administrators because the clinic is owned by the hospital group) required it.

But what can we do about the above? Not much. The hospital administrators are basically following the mandates of the Obamacare legislation that requires electronic medical records. They will probably hope that eventually the doctors get faster at the programs. Or else the doctors will have more success getting them to provide user-friendly programming than we as MTs have had in the past (that was one of the specific complaints the doctor had - he found the EMR program he was using to be quite cumbersome).

I think eventually everything will go front-end, even at the hospital level, with the possible exception of consultation letters to other doctors. Even those could probably be templated into an EMR system though. In the meantime, our industry is dying of offshoring and "Voice-Wreck" anyway.

I think the current MTSO industry would be better corralled by enforcing current fair labor laws via scheduled shifts and time clocks and guaranteed hourly pay for checking for NJA than by a walk-out. I think it's time to start writing our Congressmen and describing our working situations. Independent contractor status probably needs to go the way of the dinosaur for most MTs, with the only exception being those MTs who are truly running their own small business and contracting directly with clients themselves. If there is an MTSO between the client and the MT, the MT should be employee status with full protection of the labor laws and unemployment compensation laws.

Just my two cents for the morning - I have to go write a paper on hate crimes... :) Have a great day!

OS is editing VR and sending to facility with NO US - editing. Adress that. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Cant just cheerlead $ issue here, have address all. - What would you do about jobs that SM

[ In Reply To ..]
bypass us MT or ED? Even if you could get better pay for US MT/ED, that isnt going to make OS go away. And I have found over the 11 years I have been seeing their work, they are getting better. Maybe a younger, more educated work force coming on board? OS, when they advertise MT is a great living, they mean it and it is. OS MT can go into this expecting a better life so could be attractive for millions of women who need to work. So, what would you do about OS? Is there enough work for all?

One thing I would change is the # of MTs who can't type - About Unrealistic Expectations

[ In Reply To ..]
It amazes me to see MTs who don't see any correlation between the fact that they type 40-50 wpm and make no money. That's just one very basic example of unrealistic expectations. Another one would be the MTs who have never been happy with any kind of work. We can't fix that other than just take their accounts away from them and hope they find some kind of work that they will be able to do well.
Shoulda, woulda, coulda. I guess this is a small - part of the issue but maybe when
[ In Reply To ..]
industry dust settles, the settling process will have weeded those out. There are a lot of things I would change, but I really dont see those changes happening any time soon, maybe never.
I disagree. I think that weeding out is already happening for MTs who can't type - I have already seen it happen
[ In Reply To ..]
I've already seen MTs who can't type lose work. I expect there will be more weeding out. That is probably one of the few good things to happen in our industry and in our overall economy. For years we've seen people getting jobs they aren't qualified to do. They do a poor job and everyone looks bad and has to suffer for it.

oh all right... I'll address OS... :) - NocturnalHooter

[ In Reply To ..]
I am vehemently politically opposed to offshoring US jobs of any kind. In the MT field, there are similar language issues as in the "customer service call center" field. (US customers frequently get intensely annoyed when they have to tell "Peter" about their computer issues). Those language issues are being addressed by the OS companies, as you rightfully pointed out.

The only way we are going to bring OS MT work back to the US is if we make it enough of a political agenda to get noticed or... if some disaster involving medical records happens that is so huge that Congress passes a law and the President signs it, that requires that US medical records stay on US soil.

No, there probably is not enough work for all. But there should still be enough work for "a few." And a huge warm THANK YOU to the doctors and hospitals who DO care that their dictation not be sent overseas.

Technology in the form of EMR and front-end is still a much bigger threat to the long-term future of MT than OS, IMHO. If everything goes OS, eventually Congress will realize how much they're paying out in welfare benefits. Technology's take-over is more stealthy and the dots will not be connected quite so quickly by the people who need to do the connecting.

Numbers - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I still would like to see some hard facts, most of this is your opinion with no proof to back it up. What percentage of work is offshored? How do you know clients would be willing to pay more? The reason they outsourced in the first place was to save money and now they are tightening their belts even more in regard to staffing. Sorry, but I would not be willing to walk. I'm self-supporting and need the work, I don't perceive it to be as bad as you paint it to be. For those of you who don't need the job or income, be my guest and go for it but let me know when your position opens up, I will apply for it. I do agree with you on front end ASR, that is a huge time issue for providers whose time is already stretched thin and don't see it working very well. Thanks for the message, good luck.

More silly union talk - Cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
I think if American MTs did a better job, there would be less outsourcing. I think the rationale is if we're going to be getting junk anyway, we may as well not pay as much for it. Okay, this may be controversial, but MTs from India don't seem to complain as much either. The solution would be to cut the number of American MTs by 50% with the remaining MTs the best and the brightest.

oh, well now aren t YOU the silly one? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't even think of putting the blame on the crap kids - it's a money thing, it always is and it started with the Geico-MTSOs cutting costs to beat the competition (too many of them too), not the MTs and not the client. It's a clients' market, don't you think they know that?

MTs in India don't complain? Have you read the MT-India boards? You really should, at least before you speak.

You solution is, well, for lack of a better description - assenine.
but more silly union talk... - Cindy
[ In Reply To ..]
Would you rather be right or have job security? Of course Indian boards have all the complaining we have; however, clients don't read the boards. Many of the MTSOs from India have better customer service than American companies. Clients want hassle-free, competent service at a good value. I guarantee an MT/editor/MTSO that provides exceptional service, even at a higher rate, will thrive despite the market.

There was a major difference between the philosophies of Booker T. Washington and Frederick Douglas. Washington believed that success could be won through being exceptional, whereas Douglas believed that advocacy was the key to success. While there is a place for advocacy, I think striving for professional excellence is the way to go.

I don't want offend anyone and I surely don't want to get in a flame war. I think by working together professionally we could create a real place for ourselves.

Sure didn't mean to offend anyone.
blah..blah...blah.. - yawn
[ In Reply To ..]
None will pay more for better service. They are happy with - good enough service at low price. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Generalities - longtime MT
[ In Reply To ..]
are useless. None, all, everyone, no one are meaningless words because they represent nothing more than your opinion.

You're attempting to state facts, facts which are untrue.

Cindy's right in that if the SERVICE is on point, there are clients who will pay for it. There are small-to-mid-size services who are doing just peachy and the primary reason for that is SERVICE.

And I'd like to know how you know they are happy with good-enough service? Have you surveyed them? Done any research? Of course you haven't.

I *do* hear from several clients who ARE unhappy with their service and who feel trapped that they cannot afford to pay more and know that the only way they can get better service is to pay a higher price. But I also know there are services (I work for one) who provide TOP NOTCH customer service and who is definitely NOT feeling the type of economic pinch the larger services apparently are feeling.
Do you realize what you posted-they cannot afford to pay more. - Which is EXACTLY why pay is SM
[ In Reply To ..]
not going to be going up across the board. Yes, a small % will pay for better quality but certainly not enough to support a whole industry.
That is exactly the case. They pay what they - absolutely have to.
[ In Reply To ..]
Reading this message board is like listening to the doctor I use to work for. The constant of pay was not increase with the rate of cost. He showed me in some of the AAFP magazines the difference in ins. reimbursements for certain CPTs back 20-30 years ago versus today. That is why I understand what has happened to the MT world. It has happened to more than just us; we just happen to not work in office and do not see first hand what is going on in the medical field.

We can go on and on about the pay and how the good MTs deserve more, but the fact of the matter is, they are not going to pay more than what they can. It would really humble some MTs to go into a doctor's office and work and see how high on the list their transcriptionists really are.
Dont need survey to know they are fine with good - enough. The fact good enough is all
[ In Reply To ..]
they want to pay for tells me they are happy enough with good enough. I know, I know, some are not and those will be willing to pay more. Just how many of those jobs do you think there are? Not enough.

The more they push us for TAT, and the less they - pay us, the worse the work will be.

[ In Reply To ..]
If US MTs do lesser quality work than they did in the past, we didn't just up and decide one day to type faster, stop proofreading, etc. The MTSO's made it mandatory whey they stopped paying anything that even remotely resembles a fair line rate for what we do.

(and I meant to say "when", not "whey!") - How cheesy was THAT typo? LOL
[ In Reply To ..]
.NM.

I like your solution and would add to it - See comment

[ In Reply To ..]
The best solution I see is to replace some of the so-called 'experienced' MTs who have been doing sloppy work for years with those who really care. In fact, I've seen some really sharp new MTs who can transcribe circles around some of those who for years have transcribed as if it were some kind of hobby to do while they watch their soaps in the background. Don't even get me started about the conversations about how "My work was good enough for my last boss and I'm not going to change anything now." I would take a highly-trained new MT any time over an MT with an attitude. They may be slow at first, but there is some good work being turned out by the newer MTs.

My own conclusion is that those MTs who are putting out junk and demanding top pay for it should and will be replaced by those with better training, up-to-date skills, and the desire to do excellent work. My concern is that there may not be enough MTs out there once the junk-producing MTs are gone.

Cliff notes? - longtime MT

[ In Reply To ..]
OK, I quickly read through the very small print but I don't understand what it is you are actually proposing.

Is your point to organize editors? If so, how do the reasons an MT union won't work NOT apply to this thought process?

There are no minimum education standards.

There is no substantiated credentialing.

There is no across-the-board level of experience.

These are just to name a few. And I'm not sure how I understand where you think this will make the end-user willing to pay more or more fairly for editing?

I want to understand, but I think I'm confused. :D

oh and - longtime MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've seen back-end workings utilizing structured data - and GF, I really think you're barking up the wrong tree. Doctors are going to do what is directly tied with them getting paid. Period.

As I sit with NJA - no1joe

[ In Reply To ..]
I have plenty of time to respond :/ Yes, I'm talking about organizing editors. IMO, the transcription end is easily replaced by cheaper labor. I threw this out there just to see if anyone is on the same wavelength. I look at it this way: Our profession as MTs is changing. Many of us were fooled into editing with the promise of increased productivity at a lower rate but with equal or higher pay. That turned out to be a crock and successfully lowered our standard pay rate and made competitive offers to clients lower. That is the problem, and that is what needs to change in order to be able to make a somewhat decent living doing this. At this point, a certain skill set is needed in order to provide the finished product to the client within TAT. We have that skill set through experience. Trust me, Iâve asked myself âWould I have been able to do this job right out of school?â The answer is NO! In that regard, we are not easily replaced and, therefore, have an edge to bargain with.

Letâs say that Iâm right when I say that offshore and new graduates cannot successfully edit. So, the threat now is everything eventually going to front-end if we demand more pay. This is where we have to get out our crystal balls and really try to determine what would happen. Would 100% front-end actually be successful? Would it open up in-house positions as scribes and officially close the door on transcription/editing? Is it inevitable and will happen whether or not we demand more pay? Would it backfire and make editing a more in-demand career?

Look, I am NOT a very organized person, so itâs not like Iâve got something in the works here, and the other things you mentioned would be those kinks that need to be worked out by those better suited to do so. Iâve thought a lot about it (and determined that yes our skills are in demand and no front-end will never be 100% successful... your opinion may differ), and if there were some more organized individuals out there looking to change things, Iâd probably be on board⦠I donât have much to lose at this point.

PS - I apologize for the small font. I actually increased it on the post, and it looked HUGE, so I decreased it to 12. Enjoy your day.

Thoughts - longtime MT

[ In Reply To ..]
First, thanks for increasing the font. These old eyes need all the help they can get!

My crystal ball tells me that the "dumbing down" of front-end will become acceptable.

As I said, I've worked as an infomatics analyst dealing with insurance companies and the dr office who are their subscribers. A few years ago, there was a lot of screaming about accuracy, etc of the transcription we received, datamined, and then turned into usable custom reports for these offices. Eventually, however, what happened was as the front-end products became more comprehensive, things that once were not acceptable suddenly were. Why? Because people like me on the back-end who teach the programs that HTN, hypertension, htn, htnn, are all the same thing. (Just using a quick example.)

So what invariably happens is, the program is taught to be as "smart" as the "dumb" MT :)

Still might roll this around in my head....

Right out of school - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been at this for 35 years. I was lucky to land my first job out of school in acute care, that's where I really learned transcription. Think back to when you started, I'm sure you learned most of what you know on the job as well. The learning curve to get up to speed as an editor is pretty short, IMO. I disagree that new graduates don't have the skills to edit, the schools are teaching them to do it. No offense, but your opinion of your skills seems a bit over inflated. The only thing that might happen is that if you go to your employer and demand more pay, they'll replace you with someone willing to work for less money. Most of us learned years ago that no one is indispensible.
I agree and disagree - no1joe
[ In Reply To ..]
Absolutely... out of school I learned almost all of what I need to know on the job. I actually looked at my education as a bit of a waste of time. I landed my first job where I interned at a physical therapy office, then landed many, many more positions all by word of mouth and all on site. It wasn't until a few years into it that I got my first job at an MTSO (again by word of mouth and was recruited by a family member who had a non-MT position in the company). I was thrown into a HORRIBLE account and - no lie - I actually broke down crying more than once. I did extremely well in school, had multiple facilities and MDs telling me how great and professional I was, was referred all over the place based on my work, and of course I knew EVERYTHING (lol), and there I was with NO CLUE what I was doing. I stuck it out, and I feel now that I am a much more skilled MT than I was out of school. Without that experience, I would not be able to effectively edit... not only pick up on the obvious mistakes but catch the ones that "look right" if you don't really know what you're doing. I don't necessarily believe that the learning curve to do so is short considering that I still have to look things up that I've never come across before. I know that I am dispensible... but collectively are we (the experienced) all indispensible at this point? And, if the new MTs are capable of successfully editing without error, can they do it to meet TAT? My answer to both these questions is no (until you take front-end into consideration), and, at this stage, I would see it as something that we could possibly use to our advantage.

BTW, if anything in my above posts sounds like me "tooting my own horn," I apologize. I'm NOT trying to come across that way! I'm just trying to get the opinions of others with the same concerns about what's happened and what the future holds. Thanks for responding.
The way things have been THROUGHOUT the - industry the past 10+ years, - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
and after reading this board for the last 12 years, I find it hard to believe ANY MT in today's MT environment could possibly be happy with what they're making, and content with the status quo. Even the ones who *claim* to be making $50K+ a year should still be unhappy. Because for how hard they're working, and how many hours, they're STILL being cheated. If an MT is making $50K in 2011, imagine what they'd be making at 1995 wages! More like $100K, perhaps?

No matter what an MT makes in 2011, if they read these boards, then they're FULLY AWARE that MOST MTs are not doing well financially at all. And that MOST MTs are working their @$$e$ off just trying to stay ahead of eviction or foreclosure.

So when I see people come on this board and immediately do their best to snipe at anyone who has an idea on how to save the profession, or keep it in America, or unionize, or ask for more money per line, or ANYTHING that might work in EVERY MTs favor, not just the starving ones, I begin to get that oh-so-familiar perfume wafting into my nostrils that smells like "Eau-de-Suit".
But then some still making that amount and working 30 hrs/week - so it still can be done
[ In Reply To ..]
Most people probably are not making the higher salaries, but some are, and doing it working 30 hrs/week as an average, with the option of doing more. You really can't just generalize.
Industry standards - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
You don't know me so don't think I'm a "suit" because I state that I am doing well. I work on site and get paid hourly, my income has increased annually a little every year and I am not apologetic. However, I'm also realistic that the sky is not the limit, I know that I am very fortunate, but I am also confident that I am good at what I do. You can't generalize about wages the way that you do; everyone's wages, even those that have union backing, i.e., nurses, teachers, etc. have taken a hit, no one's wages have doubled in 15 years the way you expect yours to. Having an MT union is not going to stop or change what has already happened in regard to advanced technology and cheap off shore labor. I'm sorry that you think you are not treated fairly. If walking off the job when you have nothing else lined up or demanding higher wages works for you then go for it, it is not an option for me.
I agree with you. Also, an MT has to have something to offer in order to make $ - Realistic in the world we live in
[ In Reply To ..]
We have to realize that we live in a world that is constantly changing. There are few jobs anywhere doing anything. There are still MT jobs for those who have skills, motivation, and workable attitudes to offer in exchange for the job. Too many MTs don't have skills, have unreasonable expectations, difficult or impossible job requirements due to circumstances, and/or terrible attitudes, and wonder why they aren't doing well.
I don't think the fact that you had to break down crying because of your poor training is admir - Not a plan I would follow
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think I would advise people to follow the plan you followed. The fact that your training was so bad that you had to break down crying several times it not a plan people should follow. It seems to me that a combination of better training than you have plus more appropriate experience as you got started would have been unbeatable.
Excuse you? - no1joe
[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, your post is completely and totally off topic; however, I feel the overwhelming need to reply to what I see as a bit of an insult.

Let me start with my "poor training." When I was graduating high school, there were still many reputable secretarial schools that some, mostly women, would attend that provided education to become office managers, legal secretaries, etc. Remember those? The school I attended was well known, had an established name and reputation, still exists today (however, not offering MT courses... wonder why), provided a 2-year program (including a method that some still sing about in the MT field to this day), and was quite expensive. It wasn't a matchbook cover correspondence school if that's what you're thinking. I also graduated with all A's. I was very well educated in this field and was employed on site for years at multiple offices (like I stated). Even with this background, I found it very, very difficult to be productive when I was thrown into a cesspool account with a production rate over my head... NOT because of a lack of solid training or a lack of intelligence, but because IT IS NOT EASY. If you take a count of how many MTs new to MTSO work got their first QA assessment back full of red lines and pings over something that would be more than acceptable to their professors or even in an MD's office, I think the count would most likely be up there. I still stand behind my thought process here: A new MT NEEDS on-the-job MTSO production experience to be a successful MTSO editor. How could they be expected to correctly edit/fix what they aren't capable of effectively producing in a time-efficient manner in the first place? There are plenty of careers where on-the-job experience/apprenticeship is required. I feel ME should be one of them. If schools are producing 100% of what MTSOs are looking for in the first place, why do so many of them demand 2 years of experience (usually 2) as a baseline?
You said, "I actually looked at my education as a bit of a waste of time." - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You said, "I actually looked at my education as a bit of a waste of time."
Let me clarify... just for you - no1joe
[ In Reply To ..]
Read further in the post you're citing:

"I landed my first job where I interned at a physical therapy office, then landed many, many more positions all by word of mouth and all on site."

I'm very sorry that I didn't elaborate more for clarity. Back when I was fresh out of school, my experience with an internship/employment in a physical therapy office led to jobs in physiatry/pain management with all the EMG/NCS, epidurals, rhizotomies, etc., and next doing chiropractic work. These were all specialties NOT covered in the program (maybe they've changed it now; I don't know). Therefore, besides bringing up my typing speed/skills and showing me how to format a report, I felt that everything else was a bit too much considering that I was teaching myself all of the terminology used in those fields. From that perspective, I felt that I had wasted time. Clear now? Hopefully so because again this is completely off the subject.
Excellent Message! - Agree with 99% of it
[ In Reply To ..]
I particularly agree with your comments about having learned years ago that no one is indispensable.

The only thing that is different for me is, I really did learn most of what I know while I was in training, before I went to work. I constantly continue to learn more, but I definitely didn't learn most of it on the job. I would say I 'polished' my skills, 'increased' my skills, and strive to 'perfect' my skills on the job, but I didn't learn them on the job. Other than that, I agree with your assessment of the situation.

As I sit with... - Cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
And remember, not all docs are working for large, hospital-owned glorified doc-in-the-boxes. There are still docs out there that demand what they want. Ten doctor-drones in the practice may be using front-end and Dr. Haughty demands that an MT transcribe for him. Sometimes these docs pay for it out of their own pockets. BUT, Dr. Haughty wants beautiful transcripts. I absolutely ADORE the idea of editors being defined independently from MTs.
The idea appeals to me, mainly because if they - played their cards right, - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
editors could be making twice what MTs in the US are currently making. Maybe even three times as much.

The Dr. Haughtys in the healthcare industry are disappearing. The more the HMOs demand that they practice McMedicine, the more doctors with true integrity are leaving the biz rather than toe the line with the suits and pencil-pushers that try to tell them how to practice medicine. The docs that are going along with all this dumbing-down of MT are just the same as the Management Clones who want to cut just about every job in every hospital, so that they can raise their own salaries. The only difference between them that I can see is the white coat and the stethoscope.
I like that idea too - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

No, you don't "have that skill set through experience" - All experience is not equal

[ In Reply To ..]
Some, and I'm beginning to think it is fewer than anyone ever thought, have years of good experience. Others just have many years doing poor transcription and having a boss that let them get away with it.

Look at some of the MTs working as editors these days. One will be excellent and the other will make mistakes that a new MT with very bad training would make. All experience is not equal. Years of experience does not equal excellence.

Now if you back up your claims of excellence with proof, let's say a CMT behind your name, I would at least know that you have been able to pass a test that proves you have a certain level of skills. I would know that you at least know there are rules and you knew enough of them to pass the test. Then I would look at your past experience and consider it. Then I would give you my own test and evaluate it. Experience alone means you've put time in. That's all it means.

Some of the worst MTs I know have put time in and are experienced MTs. They have great skills. Trust them!

Mandatory credentials would weed out some of the experienced but awful MTs - Not a bad idea

[ In Reply To ..]
Credentials might really help to get rid of some of these MTs who have been giving the rest of us a bad name. They can tell us over and over, as they have for years, that they are the best, but if they can't prove it by testing, it just isn't so. If you have skills, whether you are an experienced MT or a new one, you will be able to demonstrate it through credentials testing. We'll have a lot fewer MTs, but the ones we have will be turning out work worth paying for.

only rules to follow and opions to consider are the client's IMHO. - dr-mt -- the rest too many cooks

[ In Reply To ..]
But all those cooks have to justify their salary - somehow. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Yes, I've been saying the same thing for a while now. - Editors should be WELL-paid! (MTWordz)

[ In Reply To ..]

I am sure OS Eds would agree with you. THEY are editing - VR and sending to hospitals. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This is not going to stop. It is like saying I dont like cell phones and I want all to go to wired phones. Technology doesnt go backwards and pay is NOT going to reverse itself and go up, for anyone.

I agree with your reasoning, and I think you are right. I also think... - ndmt

[ In Reply To ..]
there is nothing MTs can do but wait it out - I think it will be about 5 years before the true results of this low-tech and/or third-world handling of the medical records ends.

I disagree a little bit on how that will come about, though. I believe the MTSO reign needs to end and the same technology that was adopted by hospitals to work through MTSOs skips the MTSO part and goes directly to the MT.

This allows for several things:
1. The MT who is doing the work gets paid the full CPL paid by the hospital. The MT goes back to making a decent living and the hospital does not really have an increased burden as far as human resources and technology go - they are already paying for these items. And for anyone who is going to whine about them having to worry about coverage, look at all the die hard MTs who hang around here 24/7 while waiting for their work to come in. The ones who stay in this profession will be the ones worth keeping.

2. It will be realized by the administration that front end editing, hunt and peck record keeping and even scribes are more expensive and less effective than paying an experienced MT to do the job. Really, how many dictators do you run across who cannot spell or cannot even find the hold button on the dictation system? Will they perform effectively day in and day out as office staff when their job is to heal and care for patients? PS - doubt the administration folks type their own letters.

3. Risk management people will come to understand that the quality of VR, overseas transcriptionists, newbies or even having transcription done on production is just not as good. One or two lawsuits to any hospital will change their mind about how expensive the MT staff is. Can't you just see the ambulance chaser new niche? "Have you ever had an error in your medical record that caused you headache, nausea, anxiety (...you name it)? You might be entitled to compensation."

The change will come, I think, but time will be the only thing that helps. It has to fall on its face before it can be fixed.

"The MTs worth keeping" - That says it all for me - That change is already happening

[ In Reply To ..]
We're seeing those changes happen as we speak.

Where? How? Just the facts, ma'am. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I do not think it will go back to in house for most - there are a lot of expenses

[ In Reply To ..]
The hospital that is fairly close to me has in house transcription. They are constantly afraid they are going to lose their jobs. I actually worked there in another job and would not even apply to the transcription department even though I was a transcriptionist. Its not like they just pay the MT, and they are done. They work like an MTSO. They have the transcription department. They make well. I know one well enough that she told me what she makes, 12 cpl. They have QA. They have a transcription supervisor, and then they have the HIM supervisor over her. They all take care of that department. They have excellent benefits. You build between 3 and 4 weeks of PTO a year. That is a lot of expense for the transcription department. They would save a lot of money to go through an MTSO, and chances are, it will happen soon. I didn't even mention the IT department that has to be there for support for all of the transcriptionists, go out to their homes when there are computer problems or the equipment they have to provide.

As far as quality, I also worked at one of the doctors offices that went through the facility, and I can tell you that it is like any MTSO. There are some good and some not so good MTs. Yes, some of them were experienced MTs that the doctor had to call in and request that they never type any of his charts. Of course, they still worked there last I heard.

Ultimately, you have to understand that the uppers of the hospital are usually not healthcare professionals (clinical). They are business professionals. They have no idea what a lot of the terminology means, but the know what the dollar sign means. They do what they have to do to keep the hospital running. If that means cutting clinical (nurses, pharmacy, x-ray), they do it, or even better, cutting the behind the scenes MTs of whom they have never even seen.

Didnt MT go home to reduce overhead expensed for - facility? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Obviously, we have found it wasn't the savings they - needed. Wonder if
[ In Reply To ..]
the MTs were trying to sell them on that one because I would say that they spend just as much. I know at the hospital I worked for all benefits were the same as every other employee, and they provided all equipment which the IT department had to deal with. So, as far as savings for them to be at home, maybe it was to not have to provide them a desk, IDK.
Am sure sending MT homw was a suit decision and they - just heard save money and SM
[ In Reply To ..]
couldnt get their little pea brains to go any further than that to determine if this was really such a big money saver.
that, and they liked the cpl concept of not paying for the chit-chat, - breaks, lunche sessions inherrant with hourly.
[ In Reply To ..]
in other words - pay for what you get.

union talk - BJ

[ In Reply To ..]
This is just what I am convinced it will take for us. What a great take on things as they are now. I really would like us to see this come into being, and I need to figure out how to bring it about too. Thank you so much for this wonderful post. This is great!

More silly union talk - Cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
Well said. I am a really fast editor and if I can coerce the MTs to leave blanks rather than typing junk, I can clear out 80 reports in a couple of hours. That makes the MTs and the MTSO look good. Good editors should make about twice what MTs make IMHO. I would agree with everything you said and add that if we are seriously about being MTs/editors, we should get certified as a sign of that seriousness. I'm not crazy about the AHDI and question their loyalty towards individual MTs, but at present they provide the credentialing exam.

Agree to disagree - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a facility that uses straight transcription. We're multispecialty and do it all. Personally, I think those who do straight transcription are more skilled than those who edit, and not just because I am one of them. However, I am confident that I could step into an editing job and do well. I work on site and think that I am paid well for what I do. Most of us make more than the nurses, which I have never thought was equitable. We will be converting to front end speech in a few months, but as someone pointed out, there are providers on staff willing to pay out of pocket for good MTs and will continue to dictate. Just out of curiosty, how much do all of you skilled editors think you are worth? We'd all like to be making $75K to $100K annually but how realistic is that?

money - Cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
I much prefer editing to straight typing (I've done my share). I think an MT who can transcribe with little to no supervision and who doesn't need an editor should be able to earn about $50K a year (not working OT). I think an editor should make about the same amount. I think an MT who needs an editor should make no more than $20K. In all honesty, I think an MT who needs someone to edit reports regularly (not just the occasional blank) probably should find other work. I think our jobs are comparable in difficulty to teachers and police officers. I think ours is a higher level of job than say a ward clerk/nurse's aid.

I think the semi-skilled MTs are responsible in part for bring down salaries.

I very much liked what you said about if our getting more money meant an increase in the cost of health care, so be it. Many argue that cutting transcription costs is good for patient care. The cost of transcription could triple and patient care would remain the same. Patient care and the cost of health care are two different things.

PLUS, the cost of transcription is not what is responsible for our ballooning national debt.
You think MT should make 50K. Open MTSO & I will work - for you, for the month that you SM
[ In Reply To ..]
are open, before you go belly up trying to pay such wages. Who do you think is going to contract to pay that when they can get the same thing, in their eyes, for pennies on the dollar?

More union talk - Contact me if you like

[ In Reply To ..]
Your points are well-taken too. I have a plan and have begun on it. Would you like to join me in a letter? Contact me if so.

Thanks to you too for your positive post.

Fire away - no1joe

[ In Reply To ..]
You're more than welcome to e-mail me what you have if you don't want to post here. I'd like to see more POVs on this and look forward to hearing it.

Similar Messages:

The Reality Of The UNION Talk
Apr 25, 2011

The only person REALLY interested is apparently the person who recently posted.  ****** This followup is posted mostly to point out the REALITY and that's that MTs will NEVER unionize :)  It's just a topic that comes up, everybody creates fervor for their POV and then it all goes away (thank goodness)!   ...

This Silly Audits
Apr 15, 2010

This is silly Not only do we need to follow CP guidelines but BOS and then DocQscribe standards. So even if you have the first 2, the third will get you audit.    Why can't they spend the money and create one set of rules to follow and be done with it.  We work on production now.  checking on previous dictated reports and then double checking guidelines from all three areas ??  and when you send in a blank now I am also being questioned about the audio etc.&nb ...

I Have A Silly Question
Sep 06, 2011

Does MQ contribute at all to the cost of taking the CMT test?  I have come across 2 jobs that require you to be a CMT.  I know I'm asking a lot but just wondering.  TIA. ...

Silly ESL Noises (please Add Your Own)
Jan 28, 2012

"Put a dot here."  (He wants a period at the end of the sentence.)  ...

Just For Fun. A Few Silly Codes.
Sep 30, 2014

...but this was in my newspaper today and it cracked me up. Commentators have had fun with the new system of medical diagnostic codes (denominated in from four to ten digits each) scheduled to take effect in October 2015, and the âHealthcare Diveâ blog had its laughs in a July post. The codes for "problems in relationship with in-laws" and "bizarre personal appearance" are quixotic enough, but the most âabsurd" codes are "subsequent encounters" (that is, at least the second time ...

Fluency Silly Question - Or Not ?
Jun 05, 2014

Recently got new computer and started using Windows 7 Professional. When I type p.o. I get two spaces after each period.  Not sure if a fluency or a Win 7 problem.  I have scoured all settings, to no avail.  Also, what I had fixed before, when I type p.o. I get p.O. Any ideas how to get rid of the capital O.  I have taken out all autoinserts in settings to avoid caps at beginning of new sentences, etc.  This is getting annoying, I waste a lot of time going back to delete ...

Silly Me. I Was Hoping For Better Insurance.
Nov 04, 2014

Way to go Nuance! I had actually hoped we'd at least get copays this time, even if it meant paying more. Disgusting. Plain and simple. Having insurance that you can barely afford and can't even use because of the obscenely high deductible and no co-pays is ridiculous. This year is even more special - we are signing up for something we don't even know that we can afford because of the compensation changes they have promised. I am going to check into opting out a ...

What Is Wrong With Our Industry? Employers Just Come Up With One Silly Idea After Another
Mar 24, 2011

I don't know where they get all of their silly ideas, one new, amazing idea after another. You would think they would look back at the last several silly ideas they've had that didn't work and use some common sense, but that doesn't happen. It's always the idea to end all ideas, but those ideas never end well. Just a vent. ...

We Need A Union
Jan 18, 2013

nm ...

What A Union Could've Done For MTs
Jan 07, 2014

I kinda liked the big o' tire! http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/goodyear-france/index.html ...

UNION
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone done research on clerical or MT unions? Any organizers or organizations you can suggest?  An internet search didn't yield anything, but I sent an email to a "service" union (closest I could find), haven't heard back.  All this industry has ever done is decrease pay under the guise of making compensation competitive, which is to say "If you'll work for X company for that little, we'll lower our pay too."  This job and the pride that came with it is a ...

QA Talk
May 03, 2011

Over my many years in this industry, I have worked with tons of QA folks.  I was also one of them.  Most of them were great.  Also always wondered why everything does not go thru QA.  They QA all kinds of products in other industries like food products, toys, cars, etcetera.  ...

For Anyone To Come On Here And Talk About
Mar 20, 2014

yet unrealized position is just plain unprofessional. What reaction did you really expect? What was the purpose? Right now you have a piece of paper and a promise. Why not wait out the 6 months and then 2 long Mmodal years and then come back and share your journey of a lifetime. Don't forget, they once sold VR as the ticket to tripling your wages. Now that that train has run off the tracks, they need a new "dream" to suck you in. The promise of #30/hour is probably nothing more t ...

MTs Can't Get A Union Going But Medical Pot
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Some Of You People Below Need A Union
Apr 19, 2011

Rather than turning against each other as some of you are starting to do below, it would be really great if you had a union, one  that worked to make sure you are treated fairly and rules aren't changed that make it harder for you to do your work and make a living. ...

Formation Of A Union
Sep 11, 2012

Is anyone really interested?  I have started doing some research, and starting a union is not as far-fetched as we think.  We would need 30% of the employees to sign up for it.  Check out Office and Professional Employees International Union.  They might be able to help us.  http://www.opeiu.org/ ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

Does Anyone Belong To A Union?
Sep 03, 2014

I am just wondering if anyone out there belongs to a union like SEIU? I know they mainly represent nurses and home health aides, etc., but I wonder if you joined it would that be of any benefit, would they be able to help with our working conditions, would you be able to elect their benefits rather than the MTSO ones? I am not interested in AHDI because basically it seems to provide absolutely NO job security or protection, no benefits to joining, and in fact your reward for obtaining their cer ...

Need To Start A Union
Oct 23, 2014

OK transcriptionists.......We are all in the same boat that seems to be sinking.  I am throwing everyone a life preserver.  I know I can offer the doctors out there an easy way to dictate that is "clear, understandable, personable" (with transcriptionists assigned to their own personalized physicians).  This is the way I have done this for 20 years.  It worked great.  I have a connection that will integrate transcription into the EMR that they are using.  When I spo ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...

All This Monitoring Talk
Jun 24, 2010

I realize we work on production and that we're not making money when our fingers aren't moving, but I don't think there are too many jobs where you're actually actively working for the entire 8-hour shift.  There's always downtime.  I understand it being a problem if people aren't producing a reasonable amount of work during their shift, but come on!  Being chastised for stepping away from the keyboard for a bathroom break or to grab a cup of coffee i ...

Please Talk Me Down From Self-destruction
Apr 28, 2011

To make a long story short, I don't agree with QA scores I was given at my job.  I received an e-mail about it and need to reply nicely and suck it up, not unleash and possibly get fired. lol. I have to keep this job and need the money. Please talk me down. It's sad how medical transcription companies expect you to be 100% perfect. It seems like the MT is always wrong. Not QA, not the supervisors, not the presidents of the company. Whenever things go wrong, the MT alway ...

Let's Talk About The Pay We Deserve, Shall We?
Dec 01, 2011

Just for the sake of simplification, let's say there are 3 kinds of MTs: 1.  The MT who does absolutely any work type; operative notes, radiology, hematology, cardiology, neurology, and all the hard stuff, including difficult ESLs.  Good audits and production.  Good at VR. This MT is also certified. 2.  The MT who is not certified but has at least 10 years experience, many specialties, ESLs, good audits, VR, and excellent production. 3.  The newbie who ...

I Have To Thank All Of You Who Talk About Law Suits
May 14, 2012

You've made this board so completely boring that I no longer feel the need to come here every day.    ...

Applying To Talk To Amy?
Jul 27, 2012

Out of 4 slots how many of those do you think will be given to MTs?  I wish whoever is applying good luck. ...

What Is All This Talk About Using F11 All Of A Sudden?
Sep 19, 2012

I used it ONCE and got an e mail from my CCM to PROVE in Remedy and cc her where it needed to be straight typed.  I was told even if I could, to NEVER EVER use it again.  She meant it. So why do I see several threads and suggestions here about people using F11 a lot or suggesting we use it all the time?  I used it ONCE and got called down.  The ONLY reason I was excused was I put in Remedy the job number and a good reason.  However, I was WARNED STRONGLY to NE ...

Let's Talk About Spark!
Oct 28, 2013

Okay seriously..  Spark, the new instant messenger for Nuance times out for inactivity every 4 minutes, obviously set that way by Nuance since the Spark instruction page on their own website says it times out every 20 minutes.  Here's to the Nuance Police and their new "big brother" software! ...

Union Message Looks Like Deleted
Oct 14, 2009

I guess I could just rest on my laurels (whatever those are) and let it be but must complain, yes complain, about the totao lack of concern for those of us who have had our pay cut 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to be. We absolutely need someone to represent us. ...

Do You Support Thoughts Of A Union?
Aug 23, 2010

If you do, what are your thoughts on CMT? In reading the thread going on right now, I see MTs saying it's worthless, it's a rip-off, etc.  But what do you think a union would really do? Any PROFESSIONAL organization SHOULD have standards and should have a MINIMUM certification.  Like it or not, AHDI is OUR organization and the CMT is what is being pushed as the MINIMUM standard.  Credentials do NOT guarantee higher pay.  They say you have met the minimum standards ...