A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Does anyone belong to a union? - Not AHDI, a proper union

Posted: Sep 03, 2014

I am just wondering if anyone out there belongs to a union like SEIU? I know they mainly represent nurses and home health aides, etc., but I wonder if you joined it would that be of any benefit, would they be able to help with our working conditions, would you be able to elect their benefits rather than the MTSO ones?

I am not interested in AHDI because basically it seems to provide absolutely NO job security or protection, no benefits to joining, and in fact your reward for obtaining their certifications seems to be just a few letters after your name and doling out more dollars every year for dues and recertification, which really does NOT seem to increase your salary in any way OR enable you to be preferred for any job any longer.

The only criteria for employers now seems to be how low can they pay you, so it seems counterindicated to keep up the certification anymore. Also, from what I have read on this board, THEY are the ones who started with the offshoring. So thanks AHDI. Great job for us MTs you did.

I am sitting here with no work and faced again with the prospect of using up all my PTO again because the MTSO I work for is apparently not required to pay me for hours sitting here waiting for work, and just wondering if there is any way joining a proper union could help with this situation, or any of the other intolerable working conditions we are suffering right now.

Anybody out there with a story to tell about their union membership? I would appreciate hearing, good or bad. Please no "UNIONS ARE EVIL" talking points, unless you have a personal story to tell one way or another, thanks.

SEIU and other unions - My 2 cents

[ In Reply To ..]
I was a member of AAMT (now AHDI) back in the early days. I remember back then that they made clear that their purpose was never to become involved in wage or workplace issues. In regard to SEIU - I do not belong to a union but our nurses have contract. I know transcriptionists at other facilities who were union members. When their employers chose to convert to VR or Epic, the union had no control over that and their transcription jobs were eliminated. The union did help them find other jobs on site. As far as being a union member and working for an MTSO, I am not sure how that would work as generally the employer has to be a "union shop," I don't see any MTSO doing that. I don't know if you could join a union as an individual and have any bargaining power. As far as organizing at-home MTs, that would be a huge undertaking and I'm not sure how they would contact people. No union can guarantee work for you if the work is not there. It would be awfully hard to enforce labor laws when people are working out of their homes and so many people are IC. Also, when domestic MTs start demanding higher pay, the work will go offshore because the Indians don't care about unions. If there were not other people available to do the work, you would have more clout. This question has come up many times before, but unless someone actually contacts a union organizer you will not know whether or not you can make it work. I'm on the fence about labor unions. I don't think they are evil, but I would not particularly want my dues going to support their political agenda. I've been lucky to have never had to work for an MTSO and I've always had decent employers without the need to organize, but I understand your situation.

Thanks for your input - about your experiences

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess joining as an individual (which was my thought) would not accomplish anything.

It seems ridiculous that you would actually have to request the MTSO to become a union shop, though, surely no employer would voluntarily do that, they would have to be forced. Here's where, as you mention, the allowing and, in fact, encouraging of offshoring is a real handicap to anyone trying to get decent working conditions in our job.

These MTSOs must be overjoyed they have such an easy target in us home MTs, as it is obviously even more difficult to organize when everyone's spread across the country with different state labor laws to confound the process.

As far as the benefits available to union members, though, specifically as regards health insurance, for instance (my MTSO offers a terrible grandfathered plan which in my case is worse than nothing), I wonder if it would be worth joining just to get decent health insurance benefits? Hard to imagine paying dues plus premiums would be at all affordable, but honestly I will not give my premium to my MTSO when absolutely everything is paid out of pocket for thousands of dollars before the deductible is reached.

I see many advantages - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think unions can make a comeback. For a start, a union could plan a "big vision" plan. For a start, when a hospital/provider plans to outsource, the provider could be persuaded to put into the contract that "work must not be off-shored" and must have a least one person review the work with quality assurance oversight. An MT union could lobby for a national minimum wage so that there would not be discrimination between states. A union could lobby for and address the issues of OOW/on call. I think the restaurant workers have unionized without a "shop."

How much would you be willing to pay for dues for an organization that could provide public relations, etc? A penny a report? $25.00 a year?

I think a retired MT with come extra energy could pick up the baton, probably at first a volunteer, but eventually they should have some compensation, expense account, perhaps a Board, etc.

I have been "saved" by a union when a boss took a dislike to me (I pointed out her very bad mistake to her boss and my boss tried to retaliate). The union leaders to have to play ball with the bosses and sometimes unpopular compromises have to be made. A compromise is better than nothing, though.

Public relations? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
A website--for education (teaching people about their health records) and for MTs as a document bank for news releases, letters, etc., to inform people about losing jobs to off-shoring.
Displays at conventions, labor events, highlighting quality health records and jobs. Sometimes websites become self-sustaining for ads, right?

Too many "I can't do anything attitudes."

Oh I'd pay more than that - if they could achieve anything

[ In Reply To ..]
Like what you are talking about, honestly. I would gladly pay $50-100/month if we could get ANY representation at all that would mean the MTSOs could be held accountable for the OOW/not paying situation, for example.

After all, that $50-100 is about 1 day's pay, and if they are made to pay us it is surely worth paying it out in dues or what have you to force them to treat us as proper employees.

You seem to know a bit about it. The restaurant workers seem to be in even more dire straits than us (some of them), so when you say they unionized without a "shop" could we effect the same?

Even a crowd funding site, if it had a specific goal or some kind of plan of visibility, might be viable. Honestly, I personally am ready to do something. I'll take the premiums for the pretty much worthless MTSO health insurance and pay them to something like this instead.

I personally am not too knowledgeable about unions, yet if I know anything about being an MT, we are DEFINITELY good researchers. Thanks for giving me some food for thought. Please continue if you can think of more.

Advantages - My 2 cents

[ In Reply To ..]
The no-outsource clause in a contract would be great, but you'd have to find a facility that isn't already outsourcing, I don't think there are that many left - do you see them bringing the work back on site?
Secondly the union would need to have a presence in the facility, it could not just be an MT union. A union cannot do anything about OOW, either there is work or there isn't, they can't pull it out of their hat so that you will have something to do. Fast food workers may have organized without a "shop," but those employers can hire and fire whoever they choose, a lot of them may find themselves without jobs. I think paying someone $15 an hour to ask "do you want fries with that?" is a joke; that skews the entire pay system, some of them will be making more than people involved in direct patient care, bus drivers and a lot of other people in much more responsible jobs. Heck, I'd like to be making $30 an hour, but it's not going to happen. Speaking for myself, when I retire the last thing I want to do is become involved in union organizing. Why do you think that a retired MT would have extra energy or even care once they are gone? Your situation with the union sounds very unpleasant, I would imagine that created some disharmony among your team members. It may be possible to become a union member without a "shop." I'm only saying this because I have worked for 2 facilities where union organizers were on the premises trying to get people to join, it was my understanding that the hospital had to agree to let the union in and become a "union shop," which they didn't, and that kind of thing can get ugly. With MT, employers have options now in regard to getting their work done. In today's economy I don't see any facility willing to hire 10 MTs at $20 an hour plus perks and benefits when they can go overseas and hire people to do the work for a third of the cost. My facility's transcription work is offshored and we still do on site QA, you don't need a union to make that happen. This might have been a good idea 10 years ago but I'm afraid it might be too late.

Accentuate the negative - and do not move on

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, I said to put in the contract to not "off-shore" not out-source.

I am not here to debate how much a fast food worker is worth.

My union stood behind me when the immediate boss got ugly. Everyone in the union was very supportive. Actually most of the people in management were, too. They knew the consequences of her mistake.

There are many retired people who enjoy being involved in communities, churches and voluteerism to make the world a better place for others.

As far as employees having to be in a shop, there are home health care workers that are organized, actors that are organized and all kinds of trade councils. Also posted here were organization such as AARP. Ever hear of the American Medical Association?

Check out SEIU:

About SEIU
The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) unites 2 million diverse members in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. Focused on uniting workers in three sectors to improve their lives and the services they provide, SEIU is:

The largest healthcare union, with more than 1.1 million members in the field, including nurses, LPNs, doctors, lab technicians, nursing home workers, and home care workers.
The largest property services union, with 225,000 members in the building cleaning and security industries, including janitors, security officers, superintendents, maintenance workers, window cleaners, and doormen and women
The second largest public services union, with more than 1 million local and state government workers, public school employees, bus drivers, and child care providers
Vision for a Just Society
We believe in and will fight for a just society:
Where all workers are valued and all people are respected.
Where all families and communities thrive.
Where we leave a better and more equal world for generations to come.

Can't answer your questions, not a union member - and would never be. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
]

You are confusing unions and - professional organizations

[ In Reply To ..]
ADHI is a professional organization. It is not a union, nor should there be any expectation that it should be.

Unions do not provide credentials. They cannot force employers to keep you in a job. They can't stop employers from offshoring.

I belong to a union and it does not provide "benefits" in competion with the employer. I pay about $30 amonth for membership, too.

Okay, my bad - Is your union a health care one?

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I have absolutely no use for the AHDI, whatever it is. A professional organization who have sped the demise of the profession? I ask you, why would you join that and give them money?

I don't actually want the union to keep me in a job OR stop the employers from offshoring, basically my interest in a union (or really anything at this point - DOL, some other national agency, whatever) would be that since we are called employees we actually get treated like employees and if we show up to work our shift and there is no work, it is on the employer, just like it would be in the real world in a real job, if you see what I mean. They don't get to send you home and say no work today so no pay, nor should MTSOs.

You can actually get group health insurance through some unions, but perhaps that would be those either in professions with union shops built in to the workplace, or perhaps just another option for those who aren't offered it by their employers.

I think $30 a month does not sound bad. Do you mind divulging what union it is and/or why you joined and/or what you gain from being a part of it?

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Employers do not have to pay you - if there is no work

[ In Reply To ..]
They can just send you home.
I do not agree - I have had many jobs
[ In Reply To ..]
If they run out of work, they find something for you to do, they even let you sit around, but they do NOT send you home and not pay you.

Why? Because when you get a job the understanding is, as an employee and not a contractor, you will get paid for 40 hours a week and you will work 40 hours a week.

If your job no longer has work, then you get laid off or you get switched to a different job within the company, but, no, not in a REAL job, any job I have had they do NOT send you home and say you get no pay because we have no work.

I do not think that is legal, and it shouldn't be legal for our job either.
Getting sent home - My 2 cents
[ In Reply To ..]
At my onsite transcription job when we were NJA which was rare, the server went down or there were technical issues, they didn't find things for 15-20+ people to do. No one got paid to sit around. If it was going to be a long time, people got sent home. We were expected to make up our time or use PTO. In the real world, people don't get paid to do nothing. I'm not sure what a union is supposed to do about getting work for you to do. Whether or not you get paid is at the discretion of the employer unless it is written into the union contract. The employer is not required by law to pay you when there is nothing for you to do. If you're sitting there doing nothing you have not worked.
Statement about companies just sending you home. sm - Union Family
[ In Reply To ..]
With all due respect, that is actually not correct. If the union has negotiated a contract, that language is put in there about being paid 4 hours, for example, for being "called into work".
I always (I guess mistakenly) thought that - employees did have some rights
[ In Reply To ..]
In this country. I lived in another country for awhile and they seemed to think you needed unions for good working conditions and benefits, and my working life here I always did not seem to need that, remembered the posters up in every workplace telling you your rights as an employee.

But it seems those rights never existed or have been eroded.

I do NOT think you should need a union to protect the right to have a proper job whereby if they say you are a full time employee and cannot find work for you to do, it is up to them to either find something for you to do or lay you off. If they say you have to go home and make up the time, as long as that is the exception and not the rule, that's probably okay.

However, this has become the rule with us MTs at home, whereby you go to work in the morning, there's no work, it's up to YOU to find the 8 hours, not them.

My problem with this is what is a job then? Nothing more than a contract that says you are promised this work and this is what you get if you do that work, etc. This is how you base your life. Can I afford this house, this car, etc., food to eat.

If employers are now allowed to say go home, we got no work, but turn up tomorrow and keep scratching to make that 40 hours or else, then we are really not much more than slaves, no? How do you build a life on that?

Yes, I do think having a job should mean if they don't have the work it's on them to find it or lay you off, not try to hire new people and leave even more people flapping in the wind, but employers are now able to reduce benefits, working conditions and pay to virtually whatever they want. How on earth did this happen?

If you think that's a good thing, I do not. Even the lowliest employee needs to feel secure in their job, and messing around with hours, working conditions, cutting pay to the bone is not good for security. I don't care if this profession is going down the tubes, while we are doing this job it should be a job.

Try do a search on wage theft - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Many interesting sites listing organizations to help.

This late in the game - it would be a nearly

[ In Reply To ..]
impossible undertaking to unionize. What I know of organizing a union (which is not a great deal) is that it would have to be your particular MTSO. The MTSO does not sponsor or agree to the union, but they cannot interfere with the employees' right to organize. The workers employed by the MTSO would have to unionize, and how would that be accomplished since they work very hard to make sure that MTs do not know who their "coworker MTs" are?

Labor unions very often have contracts with craft corporations to only hire union employees. A good example would be the UAW and american car manufacturers or Teamsters and truck drivers, etc. When employees successfully unionize, it is usually because they together are able to exercise leverage as a collective group who actually can put a corporation out of business or hamper its operation enough to threaten the survival of the business.

The MTSOs are not in a position where we as a group could exercise that kind of leverage that would threaten the survival of their business. It would probably just accelerate the rate at which MT work is offshored and they would at the same time say that they did it for the survival of their business and say that they were justified in doing so.

As far as being required to sit on the system and wait for work, and then have to make up the lines at other times, have you contacted your Federal and State Wage and Hour? If you can track the hours that you put in sitting and waiting for work and that you are not paid unless lines are produced during that time, that you have to work more hours than you receive compensation for, that would seem to be a violation of wage and hour standards. That sometimes is all that is needed for the agencies to look into that MTSO's practices with all of their employees. Do you put in the actual time on the system and then use your PTO to get paid for time already put in on the system because there was no work for production? I would document as much as I could, and then contact your Wage and Hour offices and let them do the job they are being paid to do by looking into your complaint.

This is not meant to add to your discouragement, it is just that it would be misleading to encourage it when there is not really even a slim hope of succeeding, and I could not in good conscience encourage such a waste of time and energy.

I truly hope that something that I have said here is able to help you, if even only in some small way.

When I was in a new union before - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
when the new union was forming, everything possible was said and done to discourage the union from forming. There are many solutions to a problem. Last summer, there was an organized walkout at McDonald's restaurants and it was successful (it is a franchise, so I don't know if ALL were successful, but some were).

The negativity abounds with why we cannot do something. There are many working MTS in the US who would benefit. Perhaps a NEW professional organization that would work for MTs. (I am thinking along the lines of AARP or the NRA now). The politicians are extremely afraid of Association of Retired Persons and the National Rifle Association. Think outside of the box and be positive. Also check out the wage theft organizations.

My husband has been a union member for over 40 years. sm - Union Family

[ In Reply To ..]
His union is affiliated with SEUI.
He is retired now and is still a member. I'm in the process of joining myself as a spouse of a retiree. My father belonged to unions as a factory worker and a construction worker when I was growing up. If it was not for the unions, we would not have had food on our table, medical benefits, nor would my dad have had a pension when he retired. Companies have always wanted to pay the least they can get away with. I don't get all the bad mouthing of unions. I don't know what a union could do for MTs at this point since we are all over the country, but it is an interesting concept. Obviously, AHDI or whatever it is these days was never a union. I quit them a long time ago when they started embracing offshoring our work. My husband's dues were never high. $26 biweekly, now $3 a month as a retiree. I guess it depends on the contract.

My brother's shop tried to get a union, but the business owner went around telling individual employees that they would be better off without the union, so not enough employees voted to have a union. Too bad. Well, they were not better off.

your unionized family worked under one roof. Just how are unions - going to take care of MTs in the

[ In Reply To ..]
MT world of ALL workers for any given MTSO sitting in different states with all MTSOs sitting in different states, and both working on accounts for companies in different states?

The whole working world is not that of your unionized prior generations' experience when unions made a dent before they just took the dues and payoffs. Bad enough my money goes to taxes. Unions today, same thing in my opinion. Bunch of idiots on my dime and time, for nothing.

Similar Messages:

We Need A Union
Jan 18, 2013

nm ...

What A Union Could've Done For MTs
Jan 07, 2014

I kinda liked the big o' tire! http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/goodyear-france/index.html ...

UNION
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone done research on clerical or MT unions? Any organizers or organizations you can suggest?  An internet search didn't yield anything, but I sent an email to a "service" union (closest I could find), haven't heard back.  All this industry has ever done is decrease pay under the guise of making compensation competitive, which is to say "If you'll work for X company for that little, we'll lower our pay too."  This job and the pride that came with it is a ...

MTs Can't Get A Union Going But Medical Pot
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Some Of You People Below Need A Union
Apr 19, 2011

Rather than turning against each other as some of you are starting to do below, it would be really great if you had a union, one  that worked to make sure you are treated fairly and rules aren't changed that make it harder for you to do your work and make a living. ...

Formation Of A Union
Sep 11, 2012

Is anyone really interested?  I have started doing some research, and starting a union is not as far-fetched as we think.  We would need 30% of the employees to sign up for it.  Check out Office and Professional Employees International Union.  They might be able to help us.  http://www.opeiu.org/ ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

Need To Start A Union
Oct 23, 2014

OK transcriptionists.......We are all in the same boat that seems to be sinking.  I am throwing everyone a life preserver.  I know I can offer the doctors out there an easy way to dictate that is "clear, understandable, personable" (with transcriptionists assigned to their own personalized physicians).  This is the way I have done this for 20 years.  It worked great.  I have a connection that will integrate transcription into the EMR that they are using.  When I spo ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...

Union Message Looks Like Deleted
Oct 14, 2009

I guess I could just rest on my laurels (whatever those are) and let it be but must complain, yes complain, about the totao lack of concern for those of us who have had our pay cut 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to be. We absolutely need someone to represent us. ...

Do You Support Thoughts Of A Union?
Aug 23, 2010

If you do, what are your thoughts on CMT? In reading the thread going on right now, I see MTs saying it's worthless, it's a rip-off, etc.  But what do you think a union would really do? Any PROFESSIONAL organization SHOULD have standards and should have a MINIMUM certification.  Like it or not, AHDI is OUR organization and the CMT is what is being pushed as the MINIMUM standard.  Credentials do NOT guarantee higher pay.  They say you have met the minimum standards ...

More Silly Union Talk
Jan 31, 2011

Before responding, please read this post carefully. Yes, I’m talking union here, but NOT an MT union which would be pointless. Unfortunately we’ve missed that opportunity. Also, this post is intended for experienced professional MTs and include my thoughts on several topics that started down below. And hold onto your hats; this is a long one.   I’ve chimed in on this subject before, but I wanted to make an official post to put it out there and get valuable feedback fro ...

One Of The Reasons A Union Will Never Work
Feb 03, 2011

"I am looking for a transcription company that does SOAP notes preferably. I have 15 years of transcription experience and would like to do something part-time and weekends." I read this today.  I considered it could be a bait post since not far under it is one equal eyebrow-raising. But here's an MT who can say, "I have 15 years experience" and I would venture to guess, couldn't hold a candle to many of the newer and older acute-care MTs. Years of experience really becomes mea ...

The Reality Of The UNION Talk
Apr 25, 2011

The only person REALLY interested is apparently the person who recently posted.  ****** This followup is posted mostly to point out the REALITY and that's that MTs will NEVER unionize :)  It's just a topic that comes up, everybody creates fervor for their POV and then it all goes away (thank goodness)!   ...

Union For Medical Transcriptionists
Jul 11, 2011

I know this idea has been tossed around a lot but yet nothing has been done about it (to my knowledge - if someone knows different, please correct me). I am in agreement that we as transcriptionists need to band together so that we don't get treated unfairly and not paid what we are actually worth. I know there are many of us that have chosen medical transcription as our career and are still holding on and sticking through the changes. How do you go about creating a union for transcriptio ...

Medical Transcription Union
Oct 03, 2012

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this lately and I am just wondering, does anybody have any idea what we, MTs, would have to do to get a union started?  I have read the posts below about how much the big wigs in our company are making and how I have been working in this business for quite some time and instead of making more, I am making less.  I have never had a raise, but to get another job making maybe half a cent a line more than what I was making, only to lose that little incr ...

I Am On Board For The Union And Thank You For Getting The Info
Oct 05, 2012

What about India?  I have always been under the impression that we are a minority in this company, we being US MTs.  Won't Nuance just send all the work to India and be done with us?  I wonder if joining/forming a union would protect us from that... Just wanted to get discussion going about this.  Of course, they are sending the work overseas because it is cost-effective, and maybe I'm wrong, but I think we are in the very small minority and most of the work is done ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike. Sm
Oct 05, 2012

I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating striking even work for any of the MTSOs discussed. You have to be a union me ...

We Desperately Need A UNION! I've Thought It For Years. SM
Mar 15, 2010

I was reading the posts below from the complainers complaining about the complainers, and I cannot believe there are so many deluded and ignorant MTs out there who believe that 3 cpl for VR and 8 cpl for transcription is a fair wage --- NO, not just a fair wage, they actually think it's something to sing about! When I started in this profession over 20 years ago, medical transcriptionists were a well respected part of the HIM team.  I earned $13 per hour back in the late 1980s!  ...

MT Week / Take A Union Break - Monday
May 15, 2011

Since apparently we MTs aren't ready to go on strike en masse - and some are deadset against it - how about this Monday, for MT Week, Take A Union Break, and watch an informative video, which talks about people getting fired for union organizing: Just Google: Mike Elk Video Stop Unionbusting Interestingly, it's two men talking: Would the video come across differently, if two women were talking about union busting? How about union busting as it affects telecommuters and other a ...

MT Week / Tuesday / Take A Union Break
May 16, 2011

Suggested Activity: Keep Track of Your Donations I've heard time and again the complaint that MTs are expected to do work for which they are NOT being compensated. Well, there's a name for that – it's called "a donation." Starting today, keep track of the donations you make as an MT to your company – you can even print up a form, so you can keep track for an entire month – is it the header you don't get paid for? What exactly are the items in the header you ...

MT Week / Wednesday / Take A Union Break
May 18, 2011

Suggested Activity: Check out this union that actually worksâ€Â¦and send greetings! All you need to do is Google: Hospital Workers, Facing Layoffs, Launch Counterattack On Executives The union involved is National Union of Healthcare Workersâ€Â¦and guess what – when they were asked to make big concessions, they said no – and pointed out how much money the hospital bigwigs were getting – why not start with cutting THEIR pay, instead of asking the average worker to embrace painf ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike? Really? Misinformation.
Oct 09, 2012

Only a Union can call a strike. sm - ProUnion Posted: Oct 5th, 2012 - 2:56 pm I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating s ...

The World's Longest Invoice - Freelancer's Union
Apr 27, 2012

Hmmmm:       Freelancers have long been the envy of cubicle-trapped office workers. From the flexible hours to escaping mundane office politics, there's a lot to love about operating solo. Yet, one major downfall that almost every freelancer experiences is unpaid invoices. The fact of the matter is that if a self-employed freelancer gets shortchanged, the cost of taking the issue to court is often greater than what the bill is worth. But now freelancers are joining ...

I Wonder If AHDI Could Be Closed And Reopened Structured As A Union
Sep 12, 2012

It would only work if we kept the skeleton of the organization, throughout anyone in any position of authority who has ever gone overseas or been part of sending work overseas. They would not be eligible to serve in any capacity. We would benefit from the albeit small membership still there and could build from that point. In a union, the members are the boss. If the leaders don't act in our interests, they will be gone. Why wouldn't that work? I think it would be too difficult to st ...

How Would We Get Started With The Service Employees International Union
Jan 21, 2013

x ...

Hey, I Read An Article Somewhere About Virtual Organizing For Union Purposes.
Jun 12, 2015

I read somewhere that the employees of Gawker, an on-line news medium, had organized and voted for a union. They did this completely virtually, over computers, thereby bypassing management's chance to try to stop the effort. I am wondering if we should do the same thing. I plan on doing a little more research on it. Wouldn't that frost Nuance's little cookies if we could do something like that?? ...