A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Some of you people below need a union - sm

Posted: Apr 19, 2011

Rather than turning against each other as some of you are starting to do below, it would be really great if you had a union, one  that worked to make sure you are treated fairly and rules aren't changed that make it harder for you to do your work and make a living.

Amen to that - XTR

[ In Reply To ..]
I've said that before here and got shot down, but I still think it's the only way for us to climb back up out of the hole we've been dumped into by the corporations that have taken over this field. They are counting on us not unionizing. They "forbid" us to talk to fellow employees for fear of our finding out what others earn in the same company, plus that also keeps us from getting together to mount any kind of unionization. In order to unionize a company you need a certain percentage of the employees to agree by a vote to unionize, and that can't happen unless the employees are in contact with each other. These companies know what they're doing with union-busting, and they are terrified of us getting together in any kind of way. Divide and conquer, keep us biting at each other, and they win.

Sign me up - murdea

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm onboard with that! If we had formed a union years ago none of us would be in this position. Time to stop complaining and start taking action.

I second that emotion! ;) - Union - YES !!!! n/m

[ In Reply To ..]

Norma Rae did not begin by standing on a table - sweetgirlsmom

[ In Reply To ..]
Children stand there and say no. Adults who act like that will be thought of like that. You destroy your credibility and will not be respected later.

MTs who claim to be professionals should act like professionals. Norma Rae spent time with a union organizer who knew about unions and the best way to proceed. He did not jump in right away, but assessed the situation first.

If you are serious about any cause, document and research. Why do you need this? What do you hope to accomplish? How does this work? What can they do or not do? Are there more than one? Which is best for us? Talk to people in the industry who understand the issues and the businesses involved. Has anyone tried this before? (Yes, in my hospital. Several departments joined. MTs refused after we heard the details).

A well thought out and well organized approach is much more effective.

But it had to begin somewhere. - XTR

[ In Reply To ..]
And I do consider myself a professional, a professional that now cannot afford the medical care that I type up every day for other people because of low wages and greedy corporations who throw us chicken feed and keep the big bucks for themselves. Just making a statement for 15 minutes - and I think MT Week is a perfect time for it - is a great start, a clear statement that will not hurt us financially or our companies or jeopardize patient care. 15 minutes of not working can be explained away by the more reluctant among us as "taking a break" or some other acceptable abscence. The power and statement here is in numbers. Just one or two people doing it is nothing... the power is in numbers, the statement is more like an "ahem..." to the corporations, not an all-out slap in the face full-on strike, and enough to get some attention. And by the way, I have researched unions and union organizing, and this is one way to see how much actual rank-and-file support there is with the masses to see if a union will work. If the status quo works for you, then God bless you, you've got everything you need. Just stand back and let the rest of us do what we need to do. Everyone else, beware of union busters comeing in here and discouraging you from standing up for yourself, your rights, your livelihood, and your profession.

Was it something I said? - SaltyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess so.

I think you're absolutely right - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The power is definitely in numbers. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that the discouragement is beginning already. Has anyone else noticed that all the posts from BettieBGood and the first post from SaltyMT have suddenly disappeared?

MT week would be a perfect time. I don't think the amount of time matters, but the number of people who participate.
TOS - gotta stick to it
[ In Reply To ..]
I dont recall what SaltyMT said but BBG's posts directed you to another site which you're not allowed to do.
I don't think so - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I've seen many people do that on here and their posts were not all removed. I really don't think her reference to another site was the reason that her posts were removed.
her link - gotta stick to it
[ In Reply To ..]
took you to a Twitter account where she discussed MTSTARS. Violation.
Where does it say - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
that discussing MT stars on Twitter is a violation?

I've seen many people post links on here to other websites, and you don't see ALL of their posts being removed. Her posts were removed because she was talking about a strike.
Since you apparently are - not able
[ In Reply To ..]
to look for yourself:

7.Do not redirect posters to other forums, blog sites, selling sites, social media platforms, etc.

There ya go! TOS violation.
Once again - :-)
[ In Reply To ..]
I see references to other links on here all the time, from articles to YouTube videos, and you don't see all other posts from such persons removed.

Done. :-)
Look further down on this very thread - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
There is a post signed Food for Thought with a LINK to another SITE.
that link has nothing to do with diverting to another site - it links an article
[ In Reply To ..]
I give up on the reading comprehension here, it must be optional.

An article which is where? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
ON ANOTHER WEBSITE!

My reading comprehension is just fine, you nasty thing.

Have a nice day!! :-)

Seriously? - 15 minutes

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you REALLY think being absent for 15 minutes is going to a) get noticed b) make an impact c) change ANYTHING?

15 minutes is NOTHING and won't even make a ripple in the pond.

Y'all just kill me with the wackadoodle things you come up with.

And I'm not a "union buster" given there is no UNION, just a bunch of ticked off people who obviously remain clueless about the way this profession is run.
well said. never going to happen. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
but it keeps the kids busy and makes them feel better.
One thing I've learned in all my years is: - Never say "never". NM
[ In Reply To ..]
:-)
ok. Union -- NOT going to happen. - my reality is your fantasy.
[ In Reply To ..]
x
and if it does I am ready to take your jobs when on strike - they fire for that you know.
[ In Reply To ..]
buh-bye
GREAT!!! :-) - Have FUN
[ In Reply To ..]
in the sweatshop.

BUH-BYE!!
You only need 51%, not 100 - Bettie_Bgood
[ In Reply To ..]
So, there are plenty of MTs out there who say, "never." But I think there could possibly be enough - just enough - who think "now's the time." I'm reminded of how Obama had the idea, we need to have a "supermajority" - 60% - to pass anything in the Senate - and he got a lot of criticism - no, you only need 51%. So I'm a 51-percenter, when it comes to unions. Thanks for sharing your point of view.
doesn't matter. not going to happen. - sweet dreams
[ In Reply To ..]
I do agree with one thing - 15 minutes would not do muc of anything
[ In Reply To ..]
The strength comes in numbers, and this would have to continue long enough for there to be a real effect on the work.

No, we are not clueless. Many of us have been in this profession for a number of years, and the profession was not always run this way.

I don't think it is a "wackadoodle" thing to have the expectation of your employer to follow labor laws, regardless of where you work.

Whether a union would be effective for the transcription profession or not, it's still good to see people actually try to be part of a solution, rather than just come on here and complain their day away.

But that's just me. :-)
Never hear me complaining - 15 minutes
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't ever come here and complain about my job. I love my job. Of course, I have come on here and commented about my job and shared that it's a good gig and I'm paid well and treated well. But then people (was going to say like you but since I don't know you won't phrase it that way) diss me and accuse me of bragging or being better than someone or a suit or whatever the insult of the day is when there is no intelligent reply to be had.

What I don't get and maybe will never get, is why an MT would work for a company when they say they do not follow labor laws, or treat them badly, or abuse them in some other way. THAT really *IS* wackadoodle in my view. Right up there with thinking 15 minutes of not working will even be noticed let alone make any kind of difference.

In my view, the MTs working for the companies who violate all these things they complain about, do MORE by refusing work AT ALL for these companies. As long as you have MTs who are willing to take those jobs, then I don't think they have a right to complain when the job sucks.

Now I have to get back to my good-paying, AM who appreciates me, mutual loyalty job because I've spent 15 minutes on MTStars and they might think I'm on strike.
never hear me complaining - Nina
[ In Reply To ..]
Great answer. I don't complain about my job either . . I'm just glad I have a job (I actually have 2). Those of you who are on here complaining every day . . . I'm sure there are plenty of MT's who would be thankful to have your jobs. I think I'm being paid very well for what I do, my bills are paid and I still have extra money to do a few fun things on my days off.

here we go again - as if we have not discussed this before. - ANON 25-yr-rerun

[ In Reply To ..]

May be too late; train left the station years ago; good article; One went from Steelworker to MT - Food for thought

[ In Reply To ..]

For those thinking that Unions are the answer to the plight of the poor Medical Transcriptionist, the following article and chart may be of some interest.  There are a lot of former Union members who were not helped.  In the end, they lost their job anyway, even with Union representation. 

(Funny coincidence – one former Union member of the United Steelworkers of America now works as a Medical Transcriptionist.  Small world, isn’t it!!) 

Interesting recent article about the decline of Unions in the United States.  The article is primarily about Wisconsin, but the chart gives the decline of Union membership for the United States as a whole (1975 to 2010). 

A good read. 

Article about decline of Unions: 

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_fe67703e-6855-11e0-9b38-001cc4c03286.html

Chart reflecting the decline between 1975 and 2010: 

http://host.madison.com/article_4b654924-67a7-11e0-8a9a-001cc4c002e0.html

No thanx to a union - Will never support a union

[ In Reply To ..]
A union would only make more MT companies offshore. From what I see with my husband's job, unions no longer help employees anyway, they are just money grubbers like the MT companies. There is nothing that is going to stop the downslide of the MT profession.

Agree with you there...unions just want your dues - wimt

[ In Reply To ..]
Then they can send your money to the politicians that you don't necessarily support and use it in all kinds of ways that you wouldn't choose.

Exactly! - Will never support a Union

[ In Reply To ..]
They are crooks just like the politicians, whom they serve.
The worst union in the world would still beat the bejezus - out of AHDI on its best day.....(sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
... that is, if AHDI ever even HAD a good day, to begin with.

Count me in! - wannabeuniongirl

[ In Reply To ..]
What do we do?

Something anyone can do...right now - Bettie_Bgood

[ In Reply To ..]
Is think of what things you would like to change about your job - I find different people have different concerns. So that's a starting point - getting a list of 10 grievances/wishes/hopes - whatever you want to call it. I actually keep a piece of paper near my computer while I work, so I can jot things down. Yes, I just picked the number 10 out of thin air. But it's a good exercise, to get the wheels turning.

can we stop this now? again. rah rah - go march on washington or something.

[ In Reply To ..]
x
No, we cannot, and WILL NOT stop! - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I, for one, am gathering information on unions. Whether this is the answer or not, I don't know.

But I can tell one thing. The tides are turning. You can tell. Union talk aside, just think about the other things that are happening. People are opening cases with their labor boards, consulting with attorneys. The days of the at-home transcriptionist sitting back and putting up with the nonsense that can go on with these companies are becoming fewer and fewer, and it's about time. We all have a voice, and it's time to start using it.

No one is trying to force you or anyone else to do anything whatsoever. If you are happy in your present job, have plenty of work, and are making all the money you need, then I am truly happy for you and God bless.

Those who want to organize with us, please do. (That is your right, by the way, to do just that if you wish.) Those who are opposed to the idea can skip over these posts and move on. I am not here to argue with you.

Yes, the list of grievances is a very good place to start. I am working on one now.
I Do want to march on Washington :) - Bettie_Bgood
[ In Reply To ..]
Now that's what I call "tons'o'fun." I've never marched on Washington before. Would be great to have a 1-million-health-care-professional march in Washington DC, wouldn't it? We could get it all out there...public option health care, pay for lab techs, nurses, MTs and docs, get insurance companies out of the mix - WOW - what a great idea! I say "rah-rah" to that too!

Thanks for your sharing your perspective, and unintentionally brilliant idea. Bettie luvs ya! :)
I agree - MARCH!! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I'm LOVING that idea!! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

People Skills For Work-at-home People
Nov 01, 2010

I have been at home working full time for about a year.  I have been an MT longer, but I always had kept a job outside of the home also because I like interaction with other.  I have found that I am starting to lose my people skills.  Do others have this same problem?  It is like I have forgotten how to really be able to hold a conversation with others.  This is something that really bothers me as I have always loved customer service and working with people and main ...

We Need A Union
Jan 18, 2013

nm ...

What A Union Could've Done For MTs
Jan 07, 2014

I kinda liked the big o' tire! http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/goodyear-france/index.html ...

UNION
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone done research on clerical or MT unions? Any organizers or organizations you can suggest?  An internet search didn't yield anything, but I sent an email to a "service" union (closest I could find), haven't heard back.  All this industry has ever done is decrease pay under the guise of making compensation competitive, which is to say "If you'll work for X company for that little, we'll lower our pay too."  This job and the pride that came with it is a ...

MTs Can't Get A Union Going But Medical Pot
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Formation Of A Union
Sep 11, 2012

Is anyone really interested?  I have started doing some research, and starting a union is not as far-fetched as we think.  We would need 30% of the employees to sign up for it.  Check out Office and Professional Employees International Union.  They might be able to help us.  http://www.opeiu.org/ ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

Does Anyone Belong To A Union?
Sep 03, 2014

I am just wondering if anyone out there belongs to a union like SEIU? I know they mainly represent nurses and home health aides, etc., but I wonder if you joined it would that be of any benefit, would they be able to help with our working conditions, would you be able to elect their benefits rather than the MTSO ones? I am not interested in AHDI because basically it seems to provide absolutely NO job security or protection, no benefits to joining, and in fact your reward for obtaining their cer ...

Need To Start A Union
Oct 23, 2014

OK transcriptionists.......We are all in the same boat that seems to be sinking.  I am throwing everyone a life preserver.  I know I can offer the doctors out there an easy way to dictate that is "clear, understandable, personable" (with transcriptionists assigned to their own personalized physicians).  This is the way I have done this for 20 years.  It worked great.  I have a connection that will integrate transcription into the EMR that they are using.  When I spo ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...

Union Message Looks Like Deleted
Oct 14, 2009

I guess I could just rest on my laurels (whatever those are) and let it be but must complain, yes complain, about the totao lack of concern for those of us who have had our pay cut 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to be. We absolutely need someone to represent us. ...

Do You Support Thoughts Of A Union?
Aug 23, 2010

If you do, what are your thoughts on CMT? In reading the thread going on right now, I see MTs saying it's worthless, it's a rip-off, etc.  But what do you think a union would really do? Any PROFESSIONAL organization SHOULD have standards and should have a MINIMUM certification.  Like it or not, AHDI is OUR organization and the CMT is what is being pushed as the MINIMUM standard.  Credentials do NOT guarantee higher pay.  They say you have met the minimum standards ...

More Silly Union Talk
Jan 31, 2011

Before responding, please read this post carefully. Yes, I’m talking union here, but NOT an MT union which would be pointless. Unfortunately we’ve missed that opportunity. Also, this post is intended for experienced professional MTs and include my thoughts on several topics that started down below. And hold onto your hats; this is a long one.   I’ve chimed in on this subject before, but I wanted to make an official post to put it out there and get valuable feedback fro ...

One Of The Reasons A Union Will Never Work
Feb 03, 2011

"I am looking for a transcription company that does SOAP notes preferably. I have 15 years of transcription experience and would like to do something part-time and weekends." I read this today.  I considered it could be a bait post since not far under it is one equal eyebrow-raising. But here's an MT who can say, "I have 15 years experience" and I would venture to guess, couldn't hold a candle to many of the newer and older acute-care MTs. Years of experience really becomes mea ...

The Reality Of The UNION Talk
Apr 25, 2011

The only person REALLY interested is apparently the person who recently posted.  ****** This followup is posted mostly to point out the REALITY and that's that MTs will NEVER unionize :)  It's just a topic that comes up, everybody creates fervor for their POV and then it all goes away (thank goodness)!   ...

Union For Medical Transcriptionists
Jul 11, 2011

I know this idea has been tossed around a lot but yet nothing has been done about it (to my knowledge - if someone knows different, please correct me). I am in agreement that we as transcriptionists need to band together so that we don't get treated unfairly and not paid what we are actually worth. I know there are many of us that have chosen medical transcription as our career and are still holding on and sticking through the changes. How do you go about creating a union for transcriptio ...

Medical Transcription Union
Oct 03, 2012

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this lately and I am just wondering, does anybody have any idea what we, MTs, would have to do to get a union started?  I have read the posts below about how much the big wigs in our company are making and how I have been working in this business for quite some time and instead of making more, I am making less.  I have never had a raise, but to get another job making maybe half a cent a line more than what I was making, only to lose that little incr ...

I Am On Board For The Union And Thank You For Getting The Info
Oct 05, 2012

What about India?  I have always been under the impression that we are a minority in this company, we being US MTs.  Won't Nuance just send all the work to India and be done with us?  I wonder if joining/forming a union would protect us from that... Just wanted to get discussion going about this.  Of course, they are sending the work overseas because it is cost-effective, and maybe I'm wrong, but I think we are in the very small minority and most of the work is done ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike. Sm
Oct 05, 2012

I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating striking even work for any of the MTSOs discussed. You have to be a union me ...

We Desperately Need A UNION! I've Thought It For Years. SM
Mar 15, 2010

I was reading the posts below from the complainers complaining about the complainers, and I cannot believe there are so many deluded and ignorant MTs out there who believe that 3 cpl for VR and 8 cpl for transcription is a fair wage --- NO, not just a fair wage, they actually think it's something to sing about! When I started in this profession over 20 years ago, medical transcriptionists were a well respected part of the HIM team.  I earned $13 per hour back in the late 1980s!  ...

MT Week / Take A Union Break - Monday
May 15, 2011

Since apparently we MTs aren't ready to go on strike en masse - and some are deadset against it - how about this Monday, for MT Week, Take A Union Break, and watch an informative video, which talks about people getting fired for union organizing: Just Google: Mike Elk Video Stop Unionbusting Interestingly, it's two men talking: Would the video come across differently, if two women were talking about union busting? How about union busting as it affects telecommuters and other a ...

MT Week / Tuesday / Take A Union Break
May 16, 2011

Suggested Activity: Keep Track of Your Donations I've heard time and again the complaint that MTs are expected to do work for which they are NOT being compensated. Well, there's a name for that – it's called "a donation." Starting today, keep track of the donations you make as an MT to your company – you can even print up a form, so you can keep track for an entire month – is it the header you don't get paid for? What exactly are the items in the header you ...

MT Week / Wednesday / Take A Union Break
May 18, 2011

Suggested Activity: Check out this union that actually worksâ€Â¦and send greetings! All you need to do is Google: Hospital Workers, Facing Layoffs, Launch Counterattack On Executives The union involved is National Union of Healthcare Workersâ€Â¦and guess what – when they were asked to make big concessions, they said no – and pointed out how much money the hospital bigwigs were getting – why not start with cutting THEIR pay, instead of asking the average worker to embrace painf ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike? Really? Misinformation.
Oct 09, 2012

Only a Union can call a strike. sm - ProUnion Posted: Oct 5th, 2012 - 2:56 pm I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating s ...

The World's Longest Invoice - Freelancer's Union
Apr 27, 2012

Hmmmm:       Freelancers have long been the envy of cubicle-trapped office workers. From the flexible hours to escaping mundane office politics, there's a lot to love about operating solo. Yet, one major downfall that almost every freelancer experiences is unpaid invoices. The fact of the matter is that if a self-employed freelancer gets shortchanged, the cost of taking the issue to court is often greater than what the bill is worth. But now freelancers are joining ...

I Wonder If AHDI Could Be Closed And Reopened Structured As A Union
Sep 12, 2012

It would only work if we kept the skeleton of the organization, throughout anyone in any position of authority who has ever gone overseas or been part of sending work overseas. They would not be eligible to serve in any capacity. We would benefit from the albeit small membership still there and could build from that point. In a union, the members are the boss. If the leaders don't act in our interests, they will be gone. Why wouldn't that work? I think it would be too difficult to st ...

How Would We Get Started With The Service Employees International Union
Jan 21, 2013

x ...

Hey, I Read An Article Somewhere About Virtual Organizing For Union Purposes.
Jun 12, 2015

I read somewhere that the employees of Gawker, an on-line news medium, had organized and voted for a union. They did this completely virtually, over computers, thereby bypassing management's chance to try to stop the effort. I am wondering if we should do the same thing. I plan on doing a little more research on it. Wouldn't that frost Nuance's little cookies if we could do something like that?? ...

How Are There People With No Work, And People On
Jul 17, 2013

We have helper pools for a reason!  Sounds like some TSMs need to get to work. ...