A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Formation of a Union - HadEnough

Posted: Sep 11, 2012

Is anyone really interested?  I have started doing some research, and starting a union is not as far-fetched as we think.  We would need 30% of the employees to sign up for it.  Check out Office and Professional Employees International Union.  They might be able to help us.  http://www.opeiu.org/

That's the last thing I need - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Is paying DUES to a union - they cannot get for you what a company is not willing to give. That is the bottom line. Just my own feeling.

OK, don't call it a union, but organize - HonkedOff

[ In Reply To ..]
If we want a living wage for people like us and to keep our tax dollars from being used by companies who offshore, we are never going to do it as individuals. Strength comes in numbers.

So how are you going to attack the whole planet - with this organize thing

[ In Reply To ..]
That is what really needs to be done. It is not just MT world at all. My husband has not had a raise since 2008. They took away the bonuses, raised the medical costs, took away paid lunch, and reduced PTO time from 5 weeks to 2 weeks (hubby has been there 25 years).

This is EVERY COMPANY, not just offshore!
The best way to attack is for a large number of us - to STOP or SLOW DOWN THE WORK. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
um... not! - everyone on the planet just stops?
[ In Reply To ..]
That is what would have to happen for corporations to need us.
We definitely need to reach across industries and across borders. - HonkedOff
[ In Reply To ..]
Or else they will keep running circles around us in a continual race to the bottom. How to organize? In 25 words or less, I don't know for sure, but I'm working on it.

I agree, a union would do nothing but get rich off - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
us like this company does. The only thing a union would do is hasten the work offshore. Big waste of time

Hmmm, do ya thing telephone operators had this same thought? Not every - job is viable forever. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Transcription may not be viable forever, but I think - we"ve got them over a barrel with editing!

[ In Reply To ..]

u are clueless. Over a barrell??Sersly?? - they r offshoring as fast as they can

[ In Reply To ..]
any editing will be done by Punjibab and his sister Mawatna for 10 rupies and all the curry they can eat.

no union for me - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, I would never join a union. Why give some of my hard-earned pay to some big organization that will only use it to line their pockets?

Second, the scenario I see is that if a company is being forced to have a union, what's to keep them from sending all the work offshore? Then there will be even LESS jobs left for us.

The original idea behind unions was to keep companies from treating humans badly.... giving days off, limited hours each day, having safety protocols, etc. They were designed to protect the workers. But now we have laws that protect us. Also, the free market system protects us. If a company treats their employees like crap or pays lousy wages, the employee can go find another job. Eventually, that company will go out of business if they can't find good staff to do quality work.

My last job kept running out of work. I wasn't making any money. So I found another job where I have plenty of work, bosses that respect me, and a paycheck I can get excited about.

Some people think a union is going to keep our jobs from going away. The fact of the matter is that if this industry dies, it dies. We will find something else. Think about horse-drawn carriages, telephone operators, typewriters. All of those things were replaced with better technology and people adapted and found jobs in the new technology.

I love what I do and I love working from home. I hope my job lasts another 10 or 15 years until I retire. But if it doesn't, I'll find something else. I hate the idea of going back to an office, but you do what ya gotta do. We all have choices.

no union - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
This is a good post. I agree with all of it.

I wish we could get a good idea of how long the MT profession will last. A while back someone said 10 years.

YES union, for me!!! - Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]

DITTO - No message

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I'll take unions over "free market" anyday - MModal Livestock

[ In Reply To ..]
While I agree with many that unions are usually corrupt, greedy, power hungry organizations whose leaders line their pockets with the worker's money, I also think they are one of the last of the checks and balances in our system against corporate greed. They are far from perfect, but with the system completely broken, we don't have a better option.

As for the argument that unions already won the war with the establishment of consumer and employee protection laws, those laws are being eroded daily by a government that is bought and paid for by lobbyists. Collectively we have the power to compete against that influence. Separately, we are nothing more than livestock to big business.

As for the free market. The free market is a fundamentally flawed concept created to give the consumer an illusion of freedom and protection. Yes, you are free to quit your job, if you don't mind watching your family starve. You can get a new job, if you can find one, are qualified to do it, it pays the same amount or more, and your new bosses choose to be kind to you. But what about in a situation where the vast majority of corporations have rotted from the inside out? I haven't lived long enough to know if it was always a lie, but there is no "free" market now.

It's fairly ironic that you cite "giving days off, limited hours each day, having safety protocols, etc," as employee protections under the law. Many people in this company are not allowed to use their PTO most of the time. They can be made to work as many mandatory OT hours as MModal sees fit. And there are no safety protocols, otherwise the audio software would include an upper end dampener for sudden, sharp sounds that could be damaging to the human ear. They could also encourage people to take small breaks from transcribing to prevent carpal tunnel and other sedentary conditions, rather than encourage them - through spying on their keystrokes no less - to decrease their downtime.

As for the possibility that the industry will cease to exist or sent completely offshore because of us taking a stand and forming a union, that is a risk. A risk I for one am willing to take. They are going to completely offshore this business eventually. Straight typing will go the way of the dinosaur. If we unionize, we might lose our jobs. If we don't unionize, we will lose our jobs. The only difference is whether we can say we stood up for ourselves or took it lying down.

Henry Ford said: "There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wage possible."

Forming a union might not fix all our problems, but it'll sure send a message.

Good post! - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
This is a great post. It shows another side. I'm the one who posted no union, but I now see another side. Still not sure what to think. Don't believe in work going overseas but still believe in the idea of free market. Not sure.
Thanks - MModal Livestock
[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, it can be hard to decide. Like most things in life, unions are a mixed bag. And each union is different from the others. All I know is that with MModal's current policies towards me and all its other employees, I'm unhappy and want to try something new. Watch, I get my wish, we unionize and things only get worse. :)

I'm with you! The teachers in Chicago are sm - withyou

[ In Reply To ..]
doing it and ever since the unions were broken the pay has gone down! I would participate!

Teachers average pay in Chicago who are on strike? - 74,000 a year instead of minimum wage.

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm for this. I tried to start one before we were bought out by CBAY. Big mistake for not starting one then.

Hit a nerve - HadEnough

[ In Reply To ..]
I think I must have hit one of the suit's nerves. Sorry if I offended. Just trying to find a way to improve and protect pay so ours is not based on the pay rate of a 3rd world country.

what suit - whatcha talkin about willis

[ In Reply To ..]
??

A lot of people think just because - mtmt

[ In Reply To ..]
we disagree with them that we are suits. Just let them think what they want. We know the truth and have our opinion.
there are unions that dont "rape" the system - was in one in VA
[ In Reply To ..]
And Va is a right to work state...made a difference in pay and we had a lawyer to fight our battles..Im up for suggestions

Suit? - I am not a suit and I hate unions-nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

In case U didn't know, suits troll this board, - (poorly)-disguised as MTs.

[ In Reply To ..]
Like a suit cares enough to be here. I dont think so. We are so - not on their radar. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
s
Once in a company-wide conference (different co), - the Big Cheese Himself quoted -S/M
[ In Reply To ..]
verbatim from various posts that had been made about him and his company on this very board. That means SOMEONE other than MTs is visiting regularly. If not the Big Cheese Himself, then his flying monkeys are doing the snooping for him.
I doubt the suits come on here themselves, but... - MModal Livestock
[ In Reply To ..]
They keep a presence here nonetheless. I'm not saying that just because a person hates unions or loves MModal they are a suit. I liked working at MModal, kind of, a little bit, maybe not that much, just a few weeks ago. Then it was right back to the MedQuist I remember... *shutters in horror at the memories* I support unions in general and would love it if we did unionize, but I definitely understand a person not wanting to be part of that.

I have seen a few posts in the past which I think have a 90% chance of being an MModal representative. Posts that pretty much quote right off the latest propaganda memo and would never be written from the perspective of an MT, or a real human being for that matter.

It's actually pretty standard for corporations to spy on their employees via the internet. For instance, making sure no one brings up unions. You have to remember, there is a reason why companies went through a period of making their executives read Sun Tzu's the Art of War. Business is war. If you're a corporation, you face threats from your competitors and from your employees as they become increasingly upset over progressively deteriorating pay, benefits and respect.

Assuming the company would ignore any sufficiently large gathering of its employees, is to assume that the executives are blind to the financial danger of a worker revolt.
I know the CCMs do cause mine figured out we - were talking bout her. LOL
[ In Reply To ..]
too little too late,,,just saying

No Way - Losing independence with union

[ In Reply To ..]
Keep me out of it. I am not paying dues to an organization who will tell me to strike without pay, thank you.

Unions are horrible. They bankrupt companies because of ridiculous demands, which they often get. Like, remember General Motors? Like, pay someone $35 an hour to screw bolts into car doors for 8 hours, and $70 an hour on a weekend?

What sort of "independence" does any of us have - anymore, at a measly 4 cpl?

[ In Reply To ..]
The poorer we get, the smaller our lives get. My life has pretty much just become my dam___d desk. I can't afford to do anything but type anymore. And wait for work to come in.

No union for me also - bad idea. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

What is so fabulous about your current MT job - that you think a union wage wouldnt improve?

[ In Reply To ..]

Just cause you cant make it work & are unhappy, doesnt - mean all are. I am happy/satified. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

union or no union? - kcmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the point that is being missed here is that the hospitals, etc are facing an economic crunch too (notice I said hospitals and not MTSO). If we form a union that demands we be paid let's say 12 cents a line (just a stab in the dark) for editing, we will be sure to be out of work quicker than we can all say garbled speech. The offshore employees are willing to work for 1-2 cents a line because in their economy that's probably a good wage. If the MTSO is able to keep getting the same payment from the hospitals and pay out only 1-2 cents per line, that's what they are going to do. If they are forced to pay the 12 cents per line for the domestic work, they will need to charge more to make their own profit. The hospitals will not be able to afford that and will take their business elsewhere.

Just my humble opinion....and economics.

Norma Rae, that you? Now, get off that table! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Formation of a Union - HadEnough

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the input. Sorry if I ruffled feathers. Have a great "career" all.

A union, when a person cannot even - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
post on this board w/o getting attacked by half the other people posting. Right. You couldn't get 2% of MTs to agree on anything.

I agree - HadEnough

[ In Reply To ..]
There seems to be a lot of miserable souls on here. Bad attitudes beget bad attitudes. To each his own.

Similar Messages:

S/l Bunsess Formation
Nov 10, 2009

Review of the patient's x-ray does show a hallux valgus deformity, worse right versus left.  On the right side, she has also got some s/l bunsess formation on the medial eminence. ...

TOFI? Formation
Nov 15, 2010

with joint inflammation ...

S/l Senechiae Formation In The Sinus?
Aug 18, 2011

. ...

Cardiac Word: S/l "flond" Formation Is Noted. TIA. Sm
Jan 28, 2012

Sentence seems to be like this.  "There appears to be mild plaquing. No "flond" formation is noted."  I'm doing an echo report.  thanks again! ...

We Need A Union
Jan 18, 2013

nm ...

What A Union Could've Done For MTs
Jan 07, 2014

I kinda liked the big o' tire! http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/goodyear-france/index.html ...

UNION
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone done research on clerical or MT unions? Any organizers or organizations you can suggest?  An internet search didn't yield anything, but I sent an email to a "service" union (closest I could find), haven't heard back.  All this industry has ever done is decrease pay under the guise of making compensation competitive, which is to say "If you'll work for X company for that little, we'll lower our pay too."  This job and the pride that came with it is a ...

MTs Can't Get A Union Going But Medical Pot
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Some Of You People Below Need A Union
Apr 19, 2011

Rather than turning against each other as some of you are starting to do below, it would be really great if you had a union, one  that worked to make sure you are treated fairly and rules aren't changed that make it harder for you to do your work and make a living. ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

Does Anyone Belong To A Union?
Sep 03, 2014

I am just wondering if anyone out there belongs to a union like SEIU? I know they mainly represent nurses and home health aides, etc., but I wonder if you joined it would that be of any benefit, would they be able to help with our working conditions, would you be able to elect their benefits rather than the MTSO ones? I am not interested in AHDI because basically it seems to provide absolutely NO job security or protection, no benefits to joining, and in fact your reward for obtaining their cer ...

Need To Start A Union
Oct 23, 2014

OK transcriptionists.......We are all in the same boat that seems to be sinking.  I am throwing everyone a life preserver.  I know I can offer the doctors out there an easy way to dictate that is "clear, understandable, personable" (with transcriptionists assigned to their own personalized physicians).  This is the way I have done this for 20 years.  It worked great.  I have a connection that will integrate transcription into the EMR that they are using.  When I spo ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...

"sharker" Joint Formation?
May 22, 2012

Hi there. I typed an MRI of the foot, and in the impression he stated that "sharker" joint formation was a possibility. I have looked everywhere and can't find anything to fit what this sounds like. Maybe I am hearing it incorrectly, but this is what it sounded like to me. Can anyone help me out here?  Thanks!! Mindy  ...

Union Message Looks Like Deleted
Oct 14, 2009

I guess I could just rest on my laurels (whatever those are) and let it be but must complain, yes complain, about the totao lack of concern for those of us who have had our pay cut 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to be. We absolutely need someone to represent us. ...

Do You Support Thoughts Of A Union?
Aug 23, 2010

If you do, what are your thoughts on CMT? In reading the thread going on right now, I see MTs saying it's worthless, it's a rip-off, etc.  But what do you think a union would really do? Any PROFESSIONAL organization SHOULD have standards and should have a MINIMUM certification.  Like it or not, AHDI is OUR organization and the CMT is what is being pushed as the MINIMUM standard.  Credentials do NOT guarantee higher pay.  They say you have met the minimum standards ...

More Silly Union Talk
Jan 31, 2011

Before responding, please read this post carefully. Yes, I’m talking union here, but NOT an MT union which would be pointless. Unfortunately we’ve missed that opportunity. Also, this post is intended for experienced professional MTs and include my thoughts on several topics that started down below. And hold onto your hats; this is a long one.   I’ve chimed in on this subject before, but I wanted to make an official post to put it out there and get valuable feedback fro ...

One Of The Reasons A Union Will Never Work
Feb 03, 2011

"I am looking for a transcription company that does SOAP notes preferably. I have 15 years of transcription experience and would like to do something part-time and weekends." I read this today.  I considered it could be a bait post since not far under it is one equal eyebrow-raising. But here's an MT who can say, "I have 15 years experience" and I would venture to guess, couldn't hold a candle to many of the newer and older acute-care MTs. Years of experience really becomes mea ...

The Reality Of The UNION Talk
Apr 25, 2011

The only person REALLY interested is apparently the person who recently posted.  ****** This followup is posted mostly to point out the REALITY and that's that MTs will NEVER unionize :)  It's just a topic that comes up, everybody creates fervor for their POV and then it all goes away (thank goodness)!   ...

Union For Medical Transcriptionists
Jul 11, 2011

I know this idea has been tossed around a lot but yet nothing has been done about it (to my knowledge - if someone knows different, please correct me). I am in agreement that we as transcriptionists need to band together so that we don't get treated unfairly and not paid what we are actually worth. I know there are many of us that have chosen medical transcription as our career and are still holding on and sticking through the changes. How do you go about creating a union for transcriptio ...

Medical Transcription Union
Oct 03, 2012

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this lately and I am just wondering, does anybody have any idea what we, MTs, would have to do to get a union started?  I have read the posts below about how much the big wigs in our company are making and how I have been working in this business for quite some time and instead of making more, I am making less.  I have never had a raise, but to get another job making maybe half a cent a line more than what I was making, only to lose that little incr ...

I Am On Board For The Union And Thank You For Getting The Info
Oct 05, 2012

What about India?  I have always been under the impression that we are a minority in this company, we being US MTs.  Won't Nuance just send all the work to India and be done with us?  I wonder if joining/forming a union would protect us from that... Just wanted to get discussion going about this.  Of course, they are sending the work overseas because it is cost-effective, and maybe I'm wrong, but I think we are in the very small minority and most of the work is done ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike. Sm
Oct 05, 2012

I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating striking even work for any of the MTSOs discussed. You have to be a union me ...

We Desperately Need A UNION! I've Thought It For Years. SM
Mar 15, 2010

I was reading the posts below from the complainers complaining about the complainers, and I cannot believe there are so many deluded and ignorant MTs out there who believe that 3 cpl for VR and 8 cpl for transcription is a fair wage --- NO, not just a fair wage, they actually think it's something to sing about! When I started in this profession over 20 years ago, medical transcriptionists were a well respected part of the HIM team.  I earned $13 per hour back in the late 1980s!  ...

MT Week / Take A Union Break - Monday
May 15, 2011

Since apparently we MTs aren't ready to go on strike en masse - and some are deadset against it - how about this Monday, for MT Week, Take A Union Break, and watch an informative video, which talks about people getting fired for union organizing: Just Google: Mike Elk Video Stop Unionbusting Interestingly, it's two men talking: Would the video come across differently, if two women were talking about union busting? How about union busting as it affects telecommuters and other a ...

MT Week / Tuesday / Take A Union Break
May 16, 2011

Suggested Activity: Keep Track of Your Donations I've heard time and again the complaint that MTs are expected to do work for which they are NOT being compensated. Well, there's a name for that – it's called "a donation." Starting today, keep track of the donations you make as an MT to your company – you can even print up a form, so you can keep track for an entire month – is it the header you don't get paid for? What exactly are the items in the header you ...

MT Week / Wednesday / Take A Union Break
May 18, 2011

Suggested Activity: Check out this union that actually worksâ€Â¦and send greetings! All you need to do is Google: Hospital Workers, Facing Layoffs, Launch Counterattack On Executives The union involved is National Union of Healthcare Workersâ€Â¦and guess what – when they were asked to make big concessions, they said no – and pointed out how much money the hospital bigwigs were getting – why not start with cutting THEIR pay, instead of asking the average worker to embrace painf ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike? Really? Misinformation.
Oct 09, 2012

Only a Union can call a strike. sm - ProUnion Posted: Oct 5th, 2012 - 2:56 pm I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating s ...

The World's Longest Invoice - Freelancer's Union
Apr 27, 2012

Hmmmm:       Freelancers have long been the envy of cubicle-trapped office workers. From the flexible hours to escaping mundane office politics, there's a lot to love about operating solo. Yet, one major downfall that almost every freelancer experiences is unpaid invoices. The fact of the matter is that if a self-employed freelancer gets shortchanged, the cost of taking the issue to court is often greater than what the bill is worth. But now freelancers are joining ...