A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

UNION - questions

Posted: Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone done research on clerical or MT unions? Any organizers or organizations you can suggest?  An internet search didn't yield anything, but I sent an email to a "service" union (closest I could find), haven't heard back.  All this industry has ever done is decrease pay under the guise of making compensation competitive, which is to say "If you'll work for X company for that little, we'll lower our pay too."  This job and the pride that came with it is a far cry from what it used to be.  Patient safety, my @ss.  I would just appreciate ANY info on starting one.  I mean, actors (who basically pretend for a living) have a union.  This really should be a no-brainer for a union organizer. 

The big roadblock is the fact that so many MTs - work remotely

[ In Reply To ..]
How are you going to organize a union if you don't even know your fellow employees? How will you be able to communicate and correspond with potential members if you cannot ascertain that they are truly other MTs and not MTSO owners trying to sabotage your efforts?

Like any other kind of organization, unions have their negative aspects, but I am and have always been a staunch union supporter. The increasing imbalance of power between employer and employee demonstrates the need for workers to band together to provide a greater level of advocacy than that which can be attained by the individual navigating the system by himself.

If you have a viable idea on how to organize MTs, I would sincerely love to hear it.

roadblock - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I do believe there are venues, including here, to reach out. I just don't have any info on starting one. For those of us who will do it as long as we can afford to...someone has to do something. JMO

agree but....sm - confused

[ In Reply To ..]
Didn't Nuance do a thing a while back where they wanted to know all the MLS's in your state and if you allowed, they were putting together a list of them???? What happened to that???
Nuance is so "advanced" and I do not understand why they do not have a message board similar to this one where you can go on and go under each hospital and ask questions to fellow MLS who maybe have worked longer on the account and also a board for QA so you can ask quality questions and get feedback. If they can create Fiesa I do not understand why they cannot create something like that. Sometimes I feel so isolated in my job and out of sync with other empolyees. If we did a weekly call or some kind of message board, I'd feel better. Not so "alone."

agree but.... - CuriousGeorge

[ In Reply To ..]
Keeping everyone disconnected is a strategy Nuance uses to have everyone feel as you do. One small voice in the forest cannot be heard as well as multiple voices rising from the ashes. There is strength in numbers and keeping women (and maybe a few men) tethered to the computer and voiceless is exactly what allows unfair business practices with this company to flourish.

HELP FROM FELLOW EMPLOYEES - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I apologize for "yelling," but I wanted this to stand out.

A while back, I asked my TSM for a list of people on my accounts and received it, complete with their email and Spark addresses. I have since been able to Spark those people with questions. Some of us even privately email now (once the trust was established).
Further expounding on this... - same poster
[ In Reply To ..]
Make sure you see a person's work on your accounts before you Spark or email them. Make sure their reports line up with yours, i.e., same style types and great accuracy. Also, don't bash the company or your TSM or other employees on Spark. Save that for email, but only after you know someone and can trust them.

MT's really needed a union - a decade ago. - I am all for unionization, but -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
for the MT profession, I believe it's too late. Measures are already being set in place to eliminate the remaining US MTs in the not-too-distant future. Indian MTs will likely also disappear before long, as well, because the entire act of dictating reports is being eliminated and replaced with templates the doctors click the appropriate info into. Little wonder companies like M*Modal are jumping into coding. They're gearing up to dump medical transcription altogether.

However, I still believe in unions, and hope that once we all leave MT, we're able to find union-supported jobs in other fields.

Never take "No" for an answer - Dedication and faith

[ In Reply To ..]
Something I have learned in my life is that when someone tells you why you cannot do something, you come up with a solution. I believe something could be done through a website. Perhaps you have a local union who would not mind giving you some advice. Also, I believe phone calls and in-person visits are more effective than an e-mail, but the important message is do not give up.

Union - Can be done

[ In Reply To ..]
You could have a union representative in every state if necessary. Yes remote, but there must be a way to reach every MLS in this company or any other company through local media. I say go for it. Should have been done many moons ago.

Union - Fatigued Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
This is the union I belonged to when I worked in-house. Maybe they could help.

http://www.seiu.org/

Union, if they can we can remote - anonmt

[ In Reply To ..]
If thousands of MTs and managers can work from home all over the states for hospitals all over the states, we can have a union...and a lot less complicated then what they have put us through. I say ASAP!

To Union Questions - CuriousGeorge

[ In Reply To ..]
I mentioned this same thing a few blogs back and notice it has been brought up as far back as 2010. I am happy it has been brought up again. I remain conflicted for some of the reasons that have been cited on this thread. That said, It is definitely corporate greed and now offshoring, (hello Mr. Ricci, you certainly are not the poster child for America, however, you are not alone, as I would imagine none of the top salaried 15 CEO's in the US are either) that has driven this field since the early 2000's. I know nothing about starting a union or whether one would help at this point, however, I hope it will continue to be brought up, just in case it could. Unless every voice, dialect, every individual patient and potential patient becomes a fingerprint in the Nuance Dragon system how can medical transcription disappear? Ever notice how absolutely awful the reports are that you must edit? We are organic, like snowflakes, just to a use a metaphor), I really cannot see this field completely being eliminated, however, jobs have been greatly reduced because of offshoring to India particularly. I have a hard time believing that off-shoring is really helping the American people in terms of reduction in healthcare costs which I am sure is the bundle of crap hospitals are fed by this company when they sign on. I do know that politically speaking, jobs in all industry have to return to us from India and to a certain extent from the Philippines. My son says will never happen. This is definitely what we should focus on in the next political arena.

Back to unions, there were a couple of medical transcriptionist unions that I could locate, one in Mass (AHDI Lounge July of 2010), the article gives the name of the woman who raised her voice at that time (interestingly enough, Mr. Ricci's territory) and the other in Ohio, Pittsburg Post-Gazette, October 29, 2013. I am sure there are others that have never made it to the internet. I think before a union could be effective, we would have to know how many strong it could serve and whether US transcriptionists banding together would actually even cause a hiccup in the Nuance monopoly and continued offshoring of American hospitals' work?
There must be some public resource to acquire that data.

Transcriptionists protest Nuance Communications - so tired

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.post-gazette.com/business/2013/10/30/UPMC-transcriptionists-protest-after-outsourcing/stories/201310300037

Thanks for posting this! The author's name & - email at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
are located at the bottom of the article. It might be worth everyone's while to contact her and see if she wants to do a followup story.

There were hundreds of comments to her story by MTs across the country. One said she felt a "good thing about Nuance" was that they contracted with many hospitals, so there was "plenty of work". Now that, too, has changed. Not to mention higher productivity standards, higher quality standards, and now the specter of further-reduced pay coming with their "Exciting New Changes" in pay.

It would make an interesting and telling followup story to the original. And what better place to draw public attention to than Pittsburgh, which seems to be Ground Zero for offshoring, below-minimum-wage pay, and other scumbag business practices of MTSOs, many of which are headquartered in Pittsburgh.

I'm in... - MTinUSA

[ In Reply To ..]
Please keep us posted on this subject. I will be second in line right behind you!

Count me in - as well

[ In Reply To ..]
XX

Was a member when I worked in the hospital sm - former union member

[ In Reply To ..]
and not only did the union not understand incentive pay, their position was it should be eliminated because their other members don't get anything of the kind. It was all a moot point anyway because they had no problem with the hospital outsourcing all the transcription to Nuance and eliminating our positions from their payroll. Unions do not and cannot help here. Nuance will merely send all the work to India and you won't be working at all.

Unfortunately that ship has sailed. There really - is nothing left to unionize here.

[ In Reply To ..]
The majority of transcription is now done offshore and the hospitals and providers have come to demand those cheap rates. When they looked at their budgets a few years ago, transcription was a huge cost item and the quickest solution was to jump at the outsourcing (i.e. eliminate onsite overhead, benefits, etc etc) and then the offshoring came at an even cheaper cost which was the icing on their cake. Transcription is dead really with the entry of the electronic medical record and front end speech now. That leaves nothing left to unionize. The time to do it was about 10 years back, but I suspect it would have fizzled out by now anyway.

UNION - US Census Bureau of Labor and Statistics - CuriousGeorge

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not sure the ship has completely sailed, although I have been one who has been propounding that at times, as well.

Check out the US Census Bureau of Labor and Statistics as well as a link on that site called onetonline.org. (I intend to write the Labor and Statistics board today regarding the huge disconnect on what they have posted (2012) and what is really going on. They do indicate that between 2012 and 2022, there is a projected growth of 8+ which is the average growth for a field; however, they do not break this down into the number of jobs that are going to be available in US. So average growth is good if it means more stateside jobs. They erroneously have posted that 16.63 per hour is the median wage (2013). Does anyone make even make close to that with Nuance? Big disconnect. If numbers don't lie (which we know they can), there are 82,000 strong medical transcriptionists in the US with expected growth of 8% by 2022, approximately 1/4 posting on this site right now.

Some very mixed messages being delivered between what appears to be happening in the field and what is being reported to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics. May not be a bad idea to do some letter writing in regards to that. It may not do anything to save some of our old souls that have been in the trenches for all these years, but certainly could do something to help the up and coming.

In view of the above, perhaps a union is not so delusional.

8 percent over a 10 year period really is not much. - Also note the last sentence under

[ In Reply To ..]
growth projection i.e. "However, employment growth will be limited due to increased productivity stemming from technological advances." Soon I imagine that last sentence will be expanded to .... and work performed in other countries. Sad, but true.
True 8% - CuriousGeorge
[ In Reply To ..]
That is true it does not sound like much, but don't lose sight that it is "average". Even accountants only will see a 10% increase over 10 years. One of the higher fields in medicine to see great increase is drug counselors at 31% projection. Anyway, I think the more pertinent question is about salary discrepancy and also of that 8% increase, how much of that will remain as jobs state-side. Those particulars are not clarified.

Secondly, I just consulted an attorney regarding unions and received this response back:

Unions are incredibly hard to organize and operate in many states because the laws are so pro-business and anti-union. A business owner can hire and fire at will and pay what he wants, as long as he doesn't discriminate against a class of people protected by federal law (age, gender, race, etc.) For more info, check out the National Labor Relations Board at nlrb.gov. They might have the info you want.

So raises the question, if the greater number of transcriptionists are women which I would presume to be true, is there a case concerning gender bias and pay discrimination?
Age discrimination too, disguised as "you - have too much experience." (N_M)
[ In Reply To ..]
I can document disability discrimination. - Happens alot.
[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately.

UNION - CuriousGeorge

[ In Reply To ..]
I had posted this secondarily under another blog on this thread, but wanted to post separately in regard to union.

I just consulted an attorney regarding unions and received this response back:

"Unions are incredibly hard to organize and operate in many states because the laws are so pro-business and anti-union. A business owner can hire and fire at will and pay what he wants, as long as he doesn't discriminate against a class of people protected by federal law (age, gender, race, etc.) For more info, check out the National Labor Relations Board at nlrb.gov. They might have the info you want."

So raises the question, if the greater number of transcriptionists are women which I would presume to be true, is there a case concerning gender bias and pay discrimination?

So (Mr. Ricci) is getting around this by hiring women in India who work pennies on the dollar compared to US women? Are they making substantial amounts of money or being pick-pocketed in the same manner as state-side transcriptionists? Anyway to find that out.

Perhaps I am overly cynical but,--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
you would have a hard time convincing me that paying union dues is doing anything other than paying the salary of another person who would be unable to help me or my colleagues win any meaningful concessions from the major corporations. The combination of technology and cheap labor overseas would limit the efficacy of any strike, even if you were able to get members to comply. The problem with striking would be people like me who need the paycheck and cannot afford to do without it. If I could afford to do without pay for that time period, I would not be in transcription to begin with as VR has made my job incredibly DULL, DULL, DULL!

Discouraging posts - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Always remember that this is a anonymous board, and we have no idea of the ulterior motives behind those posts trying to discourage MTs of joining together to improve the situation.

anonymous - CuriousGeorge

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope my note did not sound discouraging. I left my particular state off as I did not want to leave a trail. However, I will be the first in line to sign in if one can be started. I only wanted to get a feel about what the feasibility would be in my own state to start one and it was very dismal from the corporate lawyer I spoke to. Someone has begun a thread today of making more people aware that personal information is being offshored. I would be curious to know how many men are working in this field. I would bet not many and to me that may be an opportunity to show pay discrimination based on gender. I also want to mention that I looked into the dollar exchange in rupee to American dollars and the Indian women who are doing the work off-shore (do not know about the Philippines) are working at approximately 1.75 an hour for Nuance. Do you think any of those savings are being passed on to the cost of healthcare here in US. No, they are being stopped at the top CEO for the company. Ridiculous and totally unethical, but is exactly what has happened to destroy the middle class. Furthermore, 10.00 a day as compared to 50.00 to 60.00 in US is all folks in India need in order to be considered middle class. This off-shoring has got to stop and bring the jobs back to US as long as we have work force to do the work here.

Discouraging posts - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I apologize. I meant to LIKE your post and hit the wrong one.

Discouraging posts - A dislike for an apology? - high horse?

[ In Reply To ..]
Some of you are priceless.

Similar Messages:

We Need A Union
Jan 18, 2013

nm ...

What A Union Could've Done For MTs
Jan 07, 2014

I kinda liked the big o' tire! http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/goodyear-france/index.html ...

MTs Can't Get A Union Going But Medical Pot
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Some Of You People Below Need A Union
Apr 19, 2011

Rather than turning against each other as some of you are starting to do below, it would be really great if you had a union, one  that worked to make sure you are treated fairly and rules aren't changed that make it harder for you to do your work and make a living. ...

Formation Of A Union
Sep 11, 2012

Is anyone really interested?  I have started doing some research, and starting a union is not as far-fetched as we think.  We would need 30% of the employees to sign up for it.  Check out Office and Professional Employees International Union.  They might be able to help us.  http://www.opeiu.org/ ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

Does Anyone Belong To A Union?
Sep 03, 2014

I am just wondering if anyone out there belongs to a union like SEIU? I know they mainly represent nurses and home health aides, etc., but I wonder if you joined it would that be of any benefit, would they be able to help with our working conditions, would you be able to elect their benefits rather than the MTSO ones? I am not interested in AHDI because basically it seems to provide absolutely NO job security or protection, no benefits to joining, and in fact your reward for obtaining their cer ...

Need To Start A Union
Oct 23, 2014

OK transcriptionists.......We are all in the same boat that seems to be sinking.  I am throwing everyone a life preserver.  I know I can offer the doctors out there an easy way to dictate that is "clear, understandable, personable" (with transcriptionists assigned to their own personalized physicians).  This is the way I have done this for 20 years.  It worked great.  I have a connection that will integrate transcription into the EMR that they are using.  When I spo ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...

Union Message Looks Like Deleted
Oct 14, 2009

I guess I could just rest on my laurels (whatever those are) and let it be but must complain, yes complain, about the totao lack of concern for those of us who have had our pay cut 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to be. We absolutely need someone to represent us. ...

Do You Support Thoughts Of A Union?
Aug 23, 2010

If you do, what are your thoughts on CMT? In reading the thread going on right now, I see MTs saying it's worthless, it's a rip-off, etc.  But what do you think a union would really do? Any PROFESSIONAL organization SHOULD have standards and should have a MINIMUM certification.  Like it or not, AHDI is OUR organization and the CMT is what is being pushed as the MINIMUM standard.  Credentials do NOT guarantee higher pay.  They say you have met the minimum standards ...

More Silly Union Talk
Jan 31, 2011

Before responding, please read this post carefully. Yes, I’m talking union here, but NOT an MT union which would be pointless. Unfortunately we’ve missed that opportunity. Also, this post is intended for experienced professional MTs and include my thoughts on several topics that started down below. And hold onto your hats; this is a long one.   I’ve chimed in on this subject before, but I wanted to make an official post to put it out there and get valuable feedback fro ...

One Of The Reasons A Union Will Never Work
Feb 03, 2011

"I am looking for a transcription company that does SOAP notes preferably. I have 15 years of transcription experience and would like to do something part-time and weekends." I read this today.  I considered it could be a bait post since not far under it is one equal eyebrow-raising. But here's an MT who can say, "I have 15 years experience" and I would venture to guess, couldn't hold a candle to many of the newer and older acute-care MTs. Years of experience really becomes mea ...

The Reality Of The UNION Talk
Apr 25, 2011

The only person REALLY interested is apparently the person who recently posted.  ****** This followup is posted mostly to point out the REALITY and that's that MTs will NEVER unionize :)  It's just a topic that comes up, everybody creates fervor for their POV and then it all goes away (thank goodness)!   ...

Union For Medical Transcriptionists
Jul 11, 2011

I know this idea has been tossed around a lot but yet nothing has been done about it (to my knowledge - if someone knows different, please correct me). I am in agreement that we as transcriptionists need to band together so that we don't get treated unfairly and not paid what we are actually worth. I know there are many of us that have chosen medical transcription as our career and are still holding on and sticking through the changes. How do you go about creating a union for transcriptio ...

Medical Transcription Union
Oct 03, 2012

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this lately and I am just wondering, does anybody have any idea what we, MTs, would have to do to get a union started?  I have read the posts below about how much the big wigs in our company are making and how I have been working in this business for quite some time and instead of making more, I am making less.  I have never had a raise, but to get another job making maybe half a cent a line more than what I was making, only to lose that little incr ...

I Am On Board For The Union And Thank You For Getting The Info
Oct 05, 2012

What about India?  I have always been under the impression that we are a minority in this company, we being US MTs.  Won't Nuance just send all the work to India and be done with us?  I wonder if joining/forming a union would protect us from that... Just wanted to get discussion going about this.  Of course, they are sending the work overseas because it is cost-effective, and maybe I'm wrong, but I think we are in the very small minority and most of the work is done ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike. Sm
Oct 05, 2012

I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating striking even work for any of the MTSOs discussed. You have to be a union me ...

We Desperately Need A UNION! I've Thought It For Years. SM
Mar 15, 2010

I was reading the posts below from the complainers complaining about the complainers, and I cannot believe there are so many deluded and ignorant MTs out there who believe that 3 cpl for VR and 8 cpl for transcription is a fair wage --- NO, not just a fair wage, they actually think it's something to sing about! When I started in this profession over 20 years ago, medical transcriptionists were a well respected part of the HIM team.  I earned $13 per hour back in the late 1980s!  ...

MT Week / Take A Union Break - Monday
May 15, 2011

Since apparently we MTs aren't ready to go on strike en masse - and some are deadset against it - how about this Monday, for MT Week, Take A Union Break, and watch an informative video, which talks about people getting fired for union organizing: Just Google: Mike Elk Video Stop Unionbusting Interestingly, it's two men talking: Would the video come across differently, if two women were talking about union busting? How about union busting as it affects telecommuters and other a ...

MT Week / Tuesday / Take A Union Break
May 16, 2011

Suggested Activity: Keep Track of Your Donations I've heard time and again the complaint that MTs are expected to do work for which they are NOT being compensated. Well, there's a name for that – it's called "a donation." Starting today, keep track of the donations you make as an MT to your company – you can even print up a form, so you can keep track for an entire month – is it the header you don't get paid for? What exactly are the items in the header you ...

MT Week / Wednesday / Take A Union Break
May 18, 2011

Suggested Activity: Check out this union that actually worksâ€Â¦and send greetings! All you need to do is Google: Hospital Workers, Facing Layoffs, Launch Counterattack On Executives The union involved is National Union of Healthcare Workersâ€Â¦and guess what – when they were asked to make big concessions, they said no – and pointed out how much money the hospital bigwigs were getting – why not start with cutting THEIR pay, instead of asking the average worker to embrace painf ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike? Really? Misinformation.
Oct 09, 2012

Only a Union can call a strike. sm - ProUnion Posted: Oct 5th, 2012 - 2:56 pm I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating s ...

The World's Longest Invoice - Freelancer's Union
Apr 27, 2012

Hmmmm:       Freelancers have long been the envy of cubicle-trapped office workers. From the flexible hours to escaping mundane office politics, there's a lot to love about operating solo. Yet, one major downfall that almost every freelancer experiences is unpaid invoices. The fact of the matter is that if a self-employed freelancer gets shortchanged, the cost of taking the issue to court is often greater than what the bill is worth. But now freelancers are joining ...

I Wonder If AHDI Could Be Closed And Reopened Structured As A Union
Sep 12, 2012

It would only work if we kept the skeleton of the organization, throughout anyone in any position of authority who has ever gone overseas or been part of sending work overseas. They would not be eligible to serve in any capacity. We would benefit from the albeit small membership still there and could build from that point. In a union, the members are the boss. If the leaders don't act in our interests, they will be gone. Why wouldn't that work? I think it would be too difficult to st ...

How Would We Get Started With The Service Employees International Union
Jan 21, 2013

x ...

Hey, I Read An Article Somewhere About Virtual Organizing For Union Purposes.
Jun 12, 2015

I read somewhere that the employees of Gawker, an on-line news medium, had organized and voted for a union. They did this completely virtually, over computers, thereby bypassing management's chance to try to stop the effort. I am wondering if we should do the same thing. I plan on doing a little more research on it. Wouldn't that frost Nuance's little cookies if we could do something like that?? ...