A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Job hunting - 3 hospitals no where close to me pay......are you ready.... - mythought

Posted: Apr 30, 2012

$15/hour.  Like the good ole days.  I'm moving soon but not to those cities.  Hopefully I can find a MT in-house job, otherwise, I'm done.  I will not continue to work for these low wages while the companies make billions in revenue. 

I'm with ya on that. No more MTSO jobs for me, one - was more than enough! (s/m)

[ In Reply To ..]
I have an interview with a large teaching hospital in 2 weeks. I don't even know what the pay is, but I know it would be 3 times what I make now doing 99.9% VR for 3 cpl.

My job opportunities have been few and far-between, looking only at in-house hospital jobs and not MTSOs, but I absolutely will NOT put myself through such the degrading experience of being an MTSO employee ever again. Even if it meant having no job. Because working for an MTSO really IS having no job.

What do you consider a good hourly rate? I've been with MTSOs too long. nm - Curious

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

They usually start you out based on experience - but most give raises and incentive.

[ In Reply To ..]
the one I worked for before getting outsourced I got $500 incentive on top of my hourly rate just for making production and passing audits every three months. I made $16 an hour, but again $500 on top of that every single pay period just for metting production, which was not difficult.
hourly rates - ILMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Not around here - pay is based on a salary range which is based on surrounding institutions. 30 years or 3 years - you start out the same level- 30 yrs might be closer to the upper end of the range but the level is the same. We haven't had a raise in 3 years.

I would encourage anyone apply with local - hospitals that are not outsourced versus

[ In Reply To ..]
working for MTSOs. All the local ones in my area are outsourced unfortunately, but I did work for one many years before it was outsourced and we were all home based with good wages and benefits.

Outsourcing - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a facility that does not outsource although I know it's being considered. We have not hired anyone new in years, when people quit or retire they are not being replaced. On site jobs are very difficult to find as many places have no MT department at all.

Hospitals are cutting their in-house staff too. Don't count on that for long. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Two hospitals and 2 clinic facilities in our city have done so, and I'm betting our hospital will be next within a few years. It's cost cutting and the work I believe goes to a local service in one case, but the others I am not sure.

Cheaper to pay a service than to pay benefits.

Hospital work - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
My local hospital had an ad before Christmas and I applied for it. I have kept in touch with the lady who does the hiring and she tells me she has to send MTs home early and has decided not to hire anyone now as there is not enough work. The work seemed to dry up overnight. I will keep in touch with her but not looking good to get hired there. They do not outsource and my pay would have been over $14.00 to start and I have never done acute care before.

Same thing here with our local hospital, no new positions. - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I talked to the head of the department a year ago and she said they went to VR and letting the docs use the touch pad. Though she said the records come in a mess and need to be heavily edited, the still are overstaffed by 2 MTs. Guess one of those 2 have to retire or worse before an opening occurs(and they have been there for years cuz they know a good thing) and just are not leaving but she also said they want to work M-F day shift - and she has to pull teeth to get night and weekend coverage - go figure. Hire some of us as we are so used to those hours, many demands, poor benefits, stinking pay, no raises, and so much abuse that we would be glad to comply with the hospital policy!

Similar Messages:

Job Hunting At 50?
Jul 14, 2011

So, who here has passed the course, passed the cert test(s) and gotten a job when you have been an MT for about 20 years or more at home??  I want very much to start a coding course and get my foot out of my home door and into a physician's office door (or hospital), but wondering if the door is actually open to those like me?  Would love to know of anyone's experience as far as getting hired at this point in life (:  Thanks! ...

Been Doing A Lot Of Job Hunting Lately -
Jul 19, 2012

am I crazy or does 8 cpl seem to be the norm lately???  I've even noticed some 7 cpl  for straight typing.  What is wrong with these people???  I made more than 8 cpl 13 years ago when I first started out.  With the cost of living as much as it is, how are we to make a living doing this job other than working our fingers to the bone and working 16 hours a day?  We all need to send emails and letters to Dateline or other news shows to do some kind of expose on t ...

For Those Of You Job Hunting, Something To Think About
Nov 23, 2013

I was  recently hired by a company and earlier today, was having a phone conversation with my supervisor.  She stated that during their recent advertisement, they had received an overwhelming response.  However, there were people who did not submit a cover letter with their resume, and cover letters and resumes that they received that were full of grammatical errors as well as spelling errors and some cover letters and resumes that contained "text type speak." For heaven's s ...

Another Close One ASR
May 21, 2014

Dictated: 50 units of hyaluronidase added VSR: 50 units of hobbling around the base added ...

Again, So Close ASR
Aug 25, 2014

ASR: Positive flora on ice and hit a pole... how do you get that from a doc saying positive for "uhm" ...

MQ As A Reference -- To MQ MTs Job Hunting
Nov 18, 2009

When completing job applications, are you all putting down the main MQ number in Laurel, NJ, are you using your current CCM's info (they chg so frequently), or using the URL for employment verification.  I have to find something else soon.  I guess you can consider me a complainer now too because I'm tired of making less and less money but working more hours.  I'm working another job, but have to find a replacement for MQ asap.  I can't do this anymor ...

Job Hunting Question
Jun 14, 2011

After filling out multiple forms, tests, etc...how long can one expect to wait to hear anything?  I would hope after doing this for 11 years that I would be a good fit for someone out there.  :(  I know it is pretty tight right now...I just wondered how long people have had to wait until they heard anything.  I know I saw some people on here saying they heard right away.  I am still doing more research, applications, etc...to get all over the place.  Thanks. ...

Plea To MTs Job Hunting
Jun 01, 2011

If you are currently job hunting for an MT position, please do all of us a favor.  Research the company to make sure it is a US-only based company.  If all MTs who are job hunting would stick together and refuse to work for companies who outsource to India, Phillipines, etc., we could make a difference.  I have worked for 6 different companies (2 of those being PT supplemental income jobs), and I made sure all of them were US-only based jobs.  Before the rant starts, I k ...

Job Hunting Update
Mar 01, 2012

I got an e-mail yesterday about a job.  I will be talking to "them" tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  Thanks. ...

So Close To Quitting
Oct 07, 2011

I have to vent!  At the moment, there are no words to express how much I hate this job.  i am so sick of listening to foreigners who sound like they have marbles in their mouths and the women sounding like shrill little girls with marbles in their mouths, struggling with all my heart and soul to do a good job, for pennies, knowing if I send to QA for help, my pennies will be taken away.  This is insanity!  I swear, I've died and gone to hell!  ...

This Close To Quitting
Mar 12, 2014

I am this close to quitting right this second. All I have had is foreign doctors. Are there ANY English speaking doctors left??? They expect 99.8% accuracy with this crap???? Are they kidding me??? I've been sitting here almost screaming because I can't understand a thing they're saying. I had one who was chewing gum like a cow!!! Give me a break. If I had a job to fall back on, I would quit right this second. ...

This Close To Quitting!
Mar 17, 2014

If I didn't need the gol dang money so bad I'd quit right now! More work added on my plate after you cut my pay...twice! This is beyond what I can handle today. I'm only 45 minutes into my shift and I'm crying already. Let me back up, Saturday I was NJA (as usual) so I (stupidly) emailed my PTO requests in for the year, during my shift, and then I get an email about "productive time" and then had another account added to my pool. And given 30 minutes to learn 68 pages of a ...

Have A Question For Those Job Hunting Or Just Getting A New Transcription Job
Feb 04, 2010

How long did it take you to hear from people?  I have sent out resumes upon resumes, on job boards, etc....I haven't heard squat from anyone!  I admit I only do clinic and rad transcription, but I do have eight years under my belt, and haven't had any complaints.  I do apply for jobs that fit in my area of expertise, and I have tried to apply outside that as well.  I thought I saw someone on this site say it took TWO MONTHS before they heard anything because of how ...

Epic Close To Home...
Jan 16, 2012

A HUGE clinic with many different specialties in this area has went to Epic and now have laid off 30 MTs.  They said with Epic they didn't need them all.  What a shame!  I actually use that clinic, and I knew something was up a couple months ago when I went to the doctor.  They had a new system and they were typing everything in the computer.  When I left they gave me this printout that looked like a medical report.  It had my diagnosis, medicati ...

Oracle. And NO I'm NOT Management Or Even Close To It.
Jul 02, 2012

Why don't we ALL post some of this stuff on the Oracle chat board?!! Maybe you'd get some answers. Why??? Because you might be found out by management???  What a bunch of hypocrites!  ...

The Time Is Coming Close...
Apr 01, 2014

For M*Modal to spew forth their B.S offer to the MT Dept. at our community hospital. Have some ideas already but could use more suggestions/ideas on ways to get the community involved- to let our patients know exactly where our JOBS and THEIR health records will be going.... any help/ideas???  ...

Question For Those With 100% Or Close Quality
May 13, 2014

I have been working so hard to still get a decent line count yet not make big errors, yet still am getting them. I pretty much have the numbers down pretty well, i.e. age, vitals, meds and labs, but seem to make errors on something I might have typed once right in the report, but later got it wrong! It just killls me. I need to make more than minimum wage, and I have given up on getting the bonus, but I am still sick to my stomach when I see silly errors I make in FIESA. Just wondering if anyo ...

Hunting A Company That Has Clinic/multispeciality
Apr 21, 2012

anyone  know of any good companies hiring,  need input.   Much thanks in advance ...

Job Hunting - Found A Company Called.....s/m
Jul 19, 2012

Heartland Information Services.  Thought maybe it was a company based in the Midwest so I clicked on it.  Guess what website came up?  NUANCE.  No thank you.  Been there, done that. ...

Guess It's Time To Start Job Hunting.
Jan 28, 2015

I've been here for years and work on the worst accounts I've ever had in my life, only to make peanuts.  Now they're trying to take away the only good thing I have left, my schedule.  I wonder how many people they're going to lose this way.  If I had wanted to work 2nd and 3rd shift, I would have taken a job with that schedule in the first place.  Does it even occur to them that we took this job with our particular shift in the first place because that ...

Been Paying Close Attention To My ASR Reports
Feb 07, 2012

not been ONE SINGLE LINE so far in any report that has not needed editing in some fashion.  Not ONE SINGLE LINE.  Usually multiple things in every line including stupid little words it leaves out, stupid things it adds, repetition by the doctor that it cannot discern, blatant errors of the ASR, punctuation, numbering, and on and on and on --- for 60% of my line rate?  If there are folks who have great ASR and can just breeze through with a cursory proofread, more power t ...

Oh, Great Just What I Needed To See So Close To Graduating
Nov 30, 2012

Before I get jumped on for trying to "stir the pot", I  come to this forum quite often.  I am a medical transcriptionist and am almost done with my coding course.  I will be taking the CPC sometime in January or February.  However, upon doing research on obtaining a coding job after graduating, I came across this.  Of course the date is 2011, but it's still fairly recent.  This is from the AAPC forum board.  My heart literally sank when I saw this.  O ...

Wow Giving Away Close To 400 In Gift Cards
May 15, 2015

Are you freaking serious??? How many MTs are there in this company? What an insult..And no I'm not playing your games, entering your contests, or doing anything but look for another job. ...

DH And I Are Buying A New Computer. He Absolutely Wants Windows 7. I'm Job Hunting.
Dec 16, 2009

nm ...

Job Hunting.....which Is Better - Nuance Or M'Modal? Have Read All Posts.
Jun 27, 2012

Now taking a poll.   :) ...

Skills Rusty - Where To Focus Review For Job Hunting?
Dec 02, 2012

I graduated from M-Tec in Jan. 2011 while working a full-time job.  My plan was to keep working, get a part-time MT job until I gained experienced, and then quit my other job and do MT full time.  I sent out tons of resumes but received no replies except for one that expressed fear I would get burned out working 2 jobs.  After that I got discouraged and stopped looking for MT work for over a year.   Now I'm newly motivated (hate my current job) and want to start looking ...

Anyone Heard Of *EVO III" Or Close To That, Demineralized Bone Matrix?
Oct 20, 2009

nm ...

Hyphen - Close To Near Full Thickness Rotator Cuff Tear
May 11, 2012

Plz help me with this sentence regarding the hyphen usage.   close to near full thickness rotator cuff tear     Thnx in advance for the help,   Syd ...

VA Hospitals
Mar 11, 2010

Has anyone ever transcribed for a VA Hospital? If so, would you mind telling me likes versus dislikes, similarities versus differences? I have 17 years of acute care experience but was wondering if VA Hospitals had any major differences. Thank you. ...

Who Has The 500 Plus Bed Hospitals?
Jun 08, 2014

Bored to friggin death with the little op notes from small hospitals.  Used to work for a large one out of California and there was never a dull moment with the dictation from that facility.  Stupid me.. I moved on when that company was bought out.  Should have stuck it out for the account alone. ...