A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MQ as a reference -- to MQ MTs job hunting - --

Posted: Nov 18, 2009

When completing job applications, are you all putting down the main MQ number in Laurel, NJ, are you using your current CCM's info (they chg so frequently), or using the URL for employment verification.  I have to find something else soon.  I guess you can consider me a complainer now too because I'm tired of making less and less money but working more hours.  I'm working another job, but have to find a replacement for MQ asap.  I can't do this anymore.  I don't know how anyone is making more money doing the ASR.  I just don't.

If you are currently working for the Q, would not - jk

[ In Reply To ..]
put them at all as a contact, just an excuse for them to go ahead and get rid of you. ALl you have to do is ask that your current employer not be notified.

But I've worked for them so long. Why - should I hide this?

[ In Reply To ..]
I've done a really great job but I have to get something else as soon as I can. I'm going under if not. I've always done the work and had no probs, but have to move on. Really do need the MQ reference.

Companies do not give references. All they can - HT

[ In Reply To ..]
legally say is that you worked there and when, used to be they could say they would rehire you--don't know if they can even do that now. When I left the Q, I used my former supervisors who no longer worked there that I was friends with back when we had local offices and you actually knew them.

Just went through this - Twice the fun

[ In Reply To ..]
I just got hired at another company. On my application I did put down MQ, but I stated that I did not want my current employer contacted. During the interview process, I told the recruiter the truth about why I wanted to leave. I told her how MQ had cut our pay so much and taken away weekend and line incentives. She was shocked, but totally understood.

In another interview, the recruiter said that they were getting applications from MQ employees left and right. They already new what was going on.

Like so many others of you, I wanted to leave MQ, but did not want to go from from the frying pan into the fire. I also couldn't afford a temporary cut in pay. I took a second job part-time. Once I get my lines up there, then I will make the decision whether to go full time with my new company and quit MQ or keep both jobs.

References - Ex MQ Employee

[ In Reply To ..]
You can put the Q down, but say you don't want to use them as a reference--it's asked on the application and it's your right to say no. If they ask why you left, tell them the truth--you stopped making money.

If possible, dig up some older references as they pertain to MT work. If you went to a super MT school, see if an instructor there, or the director, will give you a reference, even if was a long time ago.

Good luck. Your test with who you apply to will most likely speak for itself and the references are not as important.

they laughed at me - former mqer sm..

[ In Reply To ..]
Three of the people I talked to about an MT position laughed when I told them I had been with Medquist. They all knew all about what was going on and just chuckled when I said I quit. I think almost any company you test with will already understand. However, I would use the URL as a means for them to verify that you actually work or worked at MQ, so they know you have experience. As for references, why not use some fellow MTs if you know any, that is what I did. They are better able to actually verify what sort of person you are and such. MQ cannot say much when it comes give a reference, it is against the law.
Legal and Illegal info - They Said What
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a few words of advice for those looking for work...

#1 -- If they are a decent company, the test you take will speak better for you than any reference you can get from MQ.

#2 -- If you need references, please, please, please stay in contact with people you actually know from the Q who would give you a good reference. The supes change so often and corporate has really set things up so that it is difficult to get references. They are not worth the headache!

#3 -- There is a lot to be said about legal and illegal things that can and cannot be said reference wise. However, I shall warn you because I actually see it happen....the illegal info is still often passed on. Not all employers observe this, either former or prospective. I have witnessed this several times in the last couple weeks even. People will say things trying to "chat" and be friendly that they should not be saying.

#4 -- Facebook, and the internet, may not be your friend. I have seen employers search for Facebook accounts and look them over before hiring. Be careful what you post, especially if your real name and photo are linked to it!

Happy job hunting! There is life after the Q, and it actually isn't that bad.
Regarding Facebook, keep your settings to friends only, - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
so people that are not listed as a friend cannot get into your personal info.

Similar Messages:

Job Hunting At 50?
Jul 14, 2011

So, who here has passed the course, passed the cert test(s) and gotten a job when you have been an MT for about 20 years or more at home??  I want very much to start a coding course and get my foot out of my home door and into a physician's office door (or hospital), but wondering if the door is actually open to those like me?  Would love to know of anyone's experience as far as getting hired at this point in life (:  Thanks! ...

Been Doing A Lot Of Job Hunting Lately -
Jul 19, 2012

am I crazy or does 8 cpl seem to be the norm lately???  I've even noticed some 7 cpl  for straight typing.  What is wrong with these people???  I made more than 8 cpl 13 years ago when I first started out.  With the cost of living as much as it is, how are we to make a living doing this job other than working our fingers to the bone and working 16 hours a day?  We all need to send emails and letters to Dateline or other news shows to do some kind of expose on t ...

For Those Of You Job Hunting, Something To Think About
Nov 23, 2013

I was  recently hired by a company and earlier today, was having a phone conversation with my supervisor.  She stated that during their recent advertisement, they had received an overwhelming response.  However, there were people who did not submit a cover letter with their resume, and cover letters and resumes that they received that were full of grammatical errors as well as spelling errors and some cover letters and resumes that contained "text type speak." For heaven's s ...

Job Hunting Question
Jun 14, 2011

After filling out multiple forms, tests, etc...how long can one expect to wait to hear anything?  I would hope after doing this for 11 years that I would be a good fit for someone out there.  :(  I know it is pretty tight right now...I just wondered how long people have had to wait until they heard anything.  I know I saw some people on here saying they heard right away.  I am still doing more research, applications, etc...to get all over the place.  Thanks. ...

Plea To MTs Job Hunting
Jun 01, 2011

If you are currently job hunting for an MT position, please do all of us a favor.  Research the company to make sure it is a US-only based company.  If all MTs who are job hunting would stick together and refuse to work for companies who outsource to India, Phillipines, etc., we could make a difference.  I have worked for 6 different companies (2 of those being PT supplemental income jobs), and I made sure all of them were US-only based jobs.  Before the rant starts, I k ...

Job Hunting Update
Mar 01, 2012

I got an e-mail yesterday about a job.  I will be talking to "them" tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  Thanks. ...

Have A Question For Those Job Hunting Or Just Getting A New Transcription Job
Feb 04, 2010

How long did it take you to hear from people?  I have sent out resumes upon resumes, on job boards, etc....I haven't heard squat from anyone!  I admit I only do clinic and rad transcription, but I do have eight years under my belt, and haven't had any complaints.  I do apply for jobs that fit in my area of expertise, and I have tried to apply outside that as well.  I thought I saw someone on this site say it took TWO MONTHS before they heard anything because of how ...

Hunting A Company That Has Clinic/multispeciality
Apr 21, 2012

anyone  know of any good companies hiring,  need input.   Much thanks in advance ...

Job Hunting - 3 Hospitals No Where Close To Me Pay......are You Ready....
Apr 30, 2012

$15/hour.  Like the good ole days.  I'm moving soon but not to those cities.  Hopefully I can find a MT in-house job, otherwise, I'm done.  I will not continue to work for these low wages while the companies make billions in revenue.  ...

Job Hunting - Found A Company Called.....s/m
Jul 19, 2012

Heartland Information Services.  Thought maybe it was a company based in the Midwest so I clicked on it.  Guess what website came up?  NUANCE.  No thank you.  Been there, done that. ...

Guess It's Time To Start Job Hunting.
Jan 28, 2015

I've been here for years and work on the worst accounts I've ever had in my life, only to make peanuts.  Now they're trying to take away the only good thing I have left, my schedule.  I wonder how many people they're going to lose this way.  If I had wanted to work 2nd and 3rd shift, I would have taken a job with that schedule in the first place.  Does it even occur to them that we took this job with our particular shift in the first place because that ...

DH And I Are Buying A New Computer. He Absolutely Wants Windows 7. I'm Job Hunting.
Dec 16, 2009

nm ...

Job Hunting.....which Is Better - Nuance Or M'Modal? Have Read All Posts.
Jun 27, 2012

Now taking a poll.   :) ...

Skills Rusty - Where To Focus Review For Job Hunting?
Dec 02, 2012

I graduated from M-Tec in Jan. 2011 while working a full-time job.  My plan was to keep working, get a part-time MT job until I gained experienced, and then quit my other job and do MT full time.  I sent out tons of resumes but received no replies except for one that expressed fear I would get burned out working 2 jobs.  After that I got discouraged and stopped looking for MT work for over a year.   Now I'm newly motivated (hate my current job) and want to start looking ...

Reference Books
Nov 20, 2009

Question regarding use of reference books....I've been working for the same transcription company for 10 years and have kept very busy in that time, but as of the last six months, they have lost accounts and work has dropped off significantly.    I applied for a job last week that asked me which reference books I currently use.  To be honest, I haven't renewed any of my reference books in about 8 years, as I found it to be much, much quicker to locate terms via the Internet if you ...

Liver Reference
Feb 09, 2010

"Pychmial" widening of the sinusoids in the central zones. ...

Prescription Reference
Apr 24, 2010

Is there a reference source where I can search a prescription even though I do not know the first letter of the prescription.  For example:  %cilozine.  ...

Best Radiology Reference
Sep 08, 2010

Hi, Can anyone recommend the best radiology reference? I'd like terms, phrases, and abbreviations combined. I'd like to have one reference at-hand. First, assignment/dictator could barely understand. How long before you felt more comfortable with various reports? ...

Reference Problems
Jun 20, 2011

Does anyone else have problems supplying work references?  It seems the jobs I'm interested in all very emphatically ask for work references that can be verified and I've worked at home for just two companies in the past 10 years and had no contact with any other employees besides my supervisors.  I definitely don't want to give the current employer as a reference so that leaves me one that I worked for six years ago.  Not sure what to do in this case. ...

Reference Preference
Dec 02, 2010

I am new to MTStars and am currently enrolled as a MT student working toward completing an AAS degree. I am in my 6th quarter and starting to transcribe documents and reports in all the different fields. This week our transcription class discussion was centered around different reference resources and guides and I was wondering what are some of the favorites that are actually used by experienced MTs. I have never worked in a medical profession and making a huge transition after becoming una ...

What Is The Best Reference Site For... Sm
Jan 09, 2012

Brand and generic names for medications.  I've been using drugs.com and rxlist.com, but some of the meds are coming back from QA as being capitalized/lower cased incorrectly. ...

Reference Reports
Mar 13, 2012

Been trying to work on these mumbling dictators and the reference reports that used to be in the system are no longer there.  Guess it's just another way to screw us on our pay by having to use markers.  Wonder why they took them out....MMMMMM. ...

Reference Material Help
May 29, 2012

So I'm wondering what the difference between the Nurse's Pocket Drug Guide and The Pill Book is. I am trying to gather some reference material to be better stocked for my first transcription job and I'm not sure what to actually get. I'm on a tight budget but know that I need decent material. Throughout school I mostly used my textbooks and online reference material and it worked great but I'm not sure if companies are open to that type of work/referencing. Any help or a ...

This Is In Reference To The Post Right Below Me Sm
Aug 15, 2012

Sorry not sure what people have said and not sure where this would be posted but.........all those things you list, we have had but the Q took them all away!    Everything you say is correct but the suits want the money and throughout corporate America no company wants to pay the people who do the work.  They just want the money in their pockets.  Until the Q loses accounts because the work is so bad will they think about paying the MTs what we are worth.  Don't ...

Need Reference Suggestions...
Feb 26, 2013

I've just been hired to transcribe for a new transplant clinic.  I'm not really familar with the terminology and medications that might accompany this field.  Are there any good reference word books (such as Stedman's) that you'd suggest me getting? Thanks in advance for the help!  ...

Reference Book
May 25, 2013

Does anyone know of a "be-all/end-all" reference book for all the stages and grades across all disciplines (specialties) and whether they are expressed in roman or arabic numerals.  If there is, it would be worth it's weight in gold to me (almost).  Thanks! - B ...

Reference Books?
Jul 07, 2013

Does anyone use actual reference books any longer?  I paid so much for Stedman's books and now I never use them.  I am a big Google fan.  ...

Surgical Reference
Apr 21, 2015

I'm a seasoned transcriptionist, mostly doing acute care.  Struggling with op reports.  Does anyone know of a good reference book listing surgical instruments and supplies that I can use for a reference? ...

Reference Problem
May 06, 2015

I'm in the process of applying for a new medical transcription job. However, when listing my history, I've found that some of the companies I've worked for have been acquired by another company (and now have new names). It's also been difficult contacting my old supervisors. I'm currently going through LinkedIn but don't know if I'll get a reply. Can someone suggest a way that I can list these types of references? Thanks. ...

2 Numbers In A Row...seeking BOS Reference
Oct 27, 2009

Theo-24 200 mg is dictated.  As you can see, this puts 2 numbers side by side.  In this instance, is it okay to type this way or do I type differently.  What page in the BOS 2 is this type of issue referenced?   Thanks ...