A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Plea to MTs job hunting - AmericanMT

Posted: Jun 01, 2011

If you are currently job hunting for an MT position, please do all of us a favor.  Research the company to make sure it is a US-only based company.  If all MTs who are job hunting would stick together and refuse to work for companies who outsource to India, Phillipines, etc., we could make a difference.  I have worked for 6 different companies (2 of those being PT supplemental income jobs), and I made sure all of them were US-only based jobs.  Before the rant starts, I know....  it may take a little longer to get hired on at these places, but it is worth it!!! 

I know I certainly don't want my medical records typed and personal information accessed by someone not from the US.  Let's keep in the USA folks!  :)

How Do You Find This Out? - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
How do you find this information out? Most companies aren't going to tell you they offshore, and a lot of times, the current MTs are clueless. The QA Dept probably knows because they get the ILP blanks to fill in, feedback, etc., but other than that, there's no way to know unless the company fesses up, which is usually not until it's way too obvious.

Look at their website - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If they have a website, you can most usually find this info out there under "About Company" or "Contact Us" links. For example, check out MRecord's website...

BelievingTheir Own Ad? - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't believe everything I read on a company's website. They're trying to "sell" themselves so people use them as a service and so they can get MTs to work for them. It's biased, in my opinion.

uhhh RIGHT! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you care to give up your job to me so that I can work for a US company? I am not sitting around waiting for years for a position to open.

Do you realize how many MTs are employed with companies that offshore? If all of us stopped working to prove a point, all of that work would go offshore and all of those MTs would be sitting here BROKE!

Sorry... AINT GONNA HAPPEN. Not enough companies out there to hire us all. Hospitals do not care if the work is offshored, so I dont care either. Just gimme my paycheck.

This is the very attitude that has put our jobs in this shape.... - AmericanMT

[ In Reply To ..]
This is such a shame! This is the very selling-out attitude that is killing the US!!!!!! It's the same thing when we shop. Instead of looking at the label to buy a USA-made product, which is only a few cents more, we buy the Chinese product and send our hard-earned dollars overseas and then complain about how the foreign trade is hurting our economy. It's the "who cares what they do - just give me my paycheck" attitude that is killing the MT industry. Go ahead and settle for the 7 to 8 cpl job while the rest of us diligently work hard and wait on the 9 to 10 cpl USA MT jobs. Don't come on here crying about it later when your company decides to send it all overseas to India and you're without a job!

You've been warned!

Ive been warned? - crazy cracker

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a company who offshores and am making over 10 cpl. The company whom I worked for that was US based only paid 7 cpl because they had to compete. GO FIGURE!

If you are waiting on the 9 to 10 cpl USA MT jobs, you are going to be waiting a LONG DARNED TIME!

Warn me all day long! Business is businees and I have a family to feed. You wanna blame someone, go blame the government for giving tax breaks and encouraging these companies to do this.

If they send it all to India, I will collect unemployment and then get out of this field completely.

You are right. It is the government who is to blame and corporate America who wants to line their p - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
with money and don't care how it is done just so they get their's. Sad world and until we start deciding to pay our people for better quality work done here in the US then things won't change. I am too old to benefit from that happening but one day people will "wake up" and realize what they have done to America and try to straighten things out.

I am the only provider for myself and so I have to take a job that might outsource overseas but not because I want to, because I have a home to pay for and bills galore because of this mess of losing pay that we used to get thanks to voice systems out there and now the EMR crap!

Sorry just had to vent!

American MT: Is that a 100% made in USA computer you're ranting on? nm - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
ah ha ha ha ha - good one
[ In Reply To ..]
I laughed so loud my neighbor looked over and stared at me!

Laughter makes life easier.
As a matter of fact smary pants... - AmericanMT
[ In Reply To ..]
YES! I wasn't suggesting an MT starve or lose their home while waiting for a job opportunity if he/she didn't have one already... I was suggesting applying for a USA-only job in the interim while working for an MTSO who outsources overseas.

Think about this as well....

Overseas medical transcription has one big advantage: cheaper labor. How many of you believe that your prices are the only reason you were able to get the clients you have now? How many of you believe that your prices are even the most important reason you got and are able to keep you clients?
Overseas medical transcriptionists almost always have:
1. Poorer access to competant trainers.
2. Political instability.
3. More frequent telecommunication line interruptions.
4. Accents that make it harder for the clients to understand the MT.
5. Poorer understanding of spoken American English.
6. Almost nonexistent knowledge of regional colloquialisms.
7. Less access to sources of new medical terminology.
8. More expensive quality transcription hardware and software.
9. No ability to provide face-to-face personal service.
10. Coordination and communications problems due to time-zone differences.
11. Zero years of experience.

The reduced labor costs advantage is significantly reduced by higher costs in other areas that are necessary to do business overseas. Some of these include:

1. Dramatically higher telecommunications costs.
2. More expensive quality computer hardware and software.
3. Kickbacks to corrupt government officials in the third world.
4. Huge travel costs for management.
The reduced price to the doctor can only be a fraction of the reduced costs of overseas labor; otherwise there would be no increase in profits to the investors and therefore no reason to risk going overseas.

All that said, many U.S. jobs will still be replaced across time by overseas labor. But, every U.S. MT can help keep their jobs here in the U.S. by working smarter with more personalized service, better training and knowledge, and better technology.
Not only that - what about...
[ In Reply To ..]
spices we use that come from other countries, fruits from South America or the pasta we use that comes from Italy, coffee from South America, etc. Money is money no matter where it comes from. If we boycott everything, we would be without at least 50% or more of what we use and purchase. I don't care where my money comes from as long as I get paid, bottom line.

Seriously???? - HappyhappyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
You know, offshoring has nothing to do with the MTSOs and everything to do with the clients not wanting to pay through the nose. American MTs expect to get paid 9 or 10 cpl (and how often does that happen anymore?), get PTO/holidays/benefits. Let's face it, we're spoiled. You may think you're worth that, but you need to look at the big picture of healthcare costs and the fact that clients have to cut costs - why not offshore?

It's economics, pure and simple, and to think that refusing to accept a job with a company that offshores is going to have any impact whatsoever is near-delusional. Either someone else will take the job in the US, or someone in another country will. You can stand on your principles, but I need a paycheck.

You read on this board how some US MTSOs are cutting back and tightening up on the MTs, and how the MTs are really unhappy. It's not going to get better. The *clients* are the ones running the show and the MTSOs simply have the unhappy job of relaying the clients' expectations to the MTs.

I work for an Indian company, get paid better than I ever was when I worked for US companies, don't have to deal w/ the administrative hoop-jumping that my last MTSO (well-discussed on this board) was putting us all through, and am very happy.

If MTs want jobs back in the US, they need to start taking a long hard look at the realities of the healthcare economic environment - are you willing to take a pay cut/lose benefits in order to keep jobs US? Or do you want what you want, what you've always had, and darn the fact that the *clients* are having to figure out how to be fiscally responsible?

As far as your personal information getting offshored - get real. Call Sears, call your insurance company or medical equipment provider. It's already a done deal.

seriuosly??? - Beethoven

[ In Reply To ..]
If it's so great working for India, why don't you move there.

Traitor.

You may have thought you worked for U.S.-only companies, but - recruiters lie

[ In Reply To ..]

Check out this Dear Margo column from a few months back. I feel certain the first letter-writer is writing about medical transcription. In fact, if you read the comments to the article, near the end the letter-writer admits it.

http://www.wowowow.com/lifestyle/dear-margo-when-something-is-above-your-pay-grade/

Dear Margo: When Something Is Above Your Pay Grade

by Margo Howard on February 17, 2011

OK to lie by omission for the sake of my career? Margo Howard’s advice

When Something Is Above Your Pay Grade

Dear Margo: I have an ethical dilemma. I work in an industry where many people telecommute, which lends itself to subcontracting work to offshore vendors (e.g., India). Sending work offshore is a very controversial and polarizing issue in the industry. Although there’s a significant cost savings, it’s not unusual for our clients to insist on contracts that prohibit offshoring. My company utilizes offshore labor but keeps it very low profile. I don’t have particular issues with it and actually enjoy getting to know some of my counterparts in other countries. The company, however, calls itself “American based” (true of the corporate headquarters), and while we do not send work offshore when contracts prohibit it, I’ve realized lately that we do come just short of being untruthful about our use of the practice. For example, while interviewing a job candidate, I asked my routine question, “Why are you considering working for us?” and the response was, “I want to work for a company that does not send work overseas, and the recruiter assured me your company does not.”

I am fairly low in the corporate hierarchy and have no input on these decisions. There’s no question that it would cost me my job if I were to tell clients or candidates that we do, in fact, send work offshore. Losing my job would be a financial disaster, and I’m at an age where finding new, equivalent employment would be next to impossible. However, I am increasingly uncomfortable about being party to this lie of omission. Do you think there’s any hope of keeping both my job and a clear conscience? –Increasingly Uncomfortable

Dear Inc: I am sympathetic, but for my own reasons. When speaking to people in other countries, although they speak English, it is not, shall we say, always English-English, and it’s often difficult to understand. I agree that you should not tell a candidate the information that your company apparently wishes to keep quiet. I would, however, go to a superior and say that, in addition to feeling as though you are not being truthful with potential employees, you have realized that because your America-only policy is considered a plus, it would be ruinous if word got out that this was untrue — especially because so many people tell you it is one reason they do business with your company. Whether or not you can make yourself heard, you will have made the effort, which should salve your conscience. You will have tried. –Margo, conscientiously

There are only three, yes, three, national MTSOs that do not offshore (sm) - Kitty Katz

[ In Reply To ..]
any of their work. I know this because I saw a copy of the latest KLAS report and it describes the content of the workforce. These companies are as follows:

* Precyse Solutions

* TransTech Medical Solutions

* WebMedX - Although WMX is going to be a thing of the past since they have just sold to Nuance, who does more than 70% of their work in India.

Good luck.

Amphion does not offshore nm - destinyisntfree

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Job Hunting At 50?
Jul 14, 2011

So, who here has passed the course, passed the cert test(s) and gotten a job when you have been an MT for about 20 years or more at home??  I want very much to start a coding course and get my foot out of my home door and into a physician's office door (or hospital), but wondering if the door is actually open to those like me?  Would love to know of anyone's experience as far as getting hired at this point in life (:  Thanks! ...

Been Doing A Lot Of Job Hunting Lately -
Jul 19, 2012

am I crazy or does 8 cpl seem to be the norm lately???  I've even noticed some 7 cpl  for straight typing.  What is wrong with these people???  I made more than 8 cpl 13 years ago when I first started out.  With the cost of living as much as it is, how are we to make a living doing this job other than working our fingers to the bone and working 16 hours a day?  We all need to send emails and letters to Dateline or other news shows to do some kind of expose on t ...

For Those Of You Job Hunting, Something To Think About
Nov 23, 2013

I was  recently hired by a company and earlier today, was having a phone conversation with my supervisor.  She stated that during their recent advertisement, they had received an overwhelming response.  However, there were people who did not submit a cover letter with their resume, and cover letters and resumes that they received that were full of grammatical errors as well as spelling errors and some cover letters and resumes that contained "text type speak." For heaven's s ...

MQ As A Reference -- To MQ MTs Job Hunting
Nov 18, 2009

When completing job applications, are you all putting down the main MQ number in Laurel, NJ, are you using your current CCM's info (they chg so frequently), or using the URL for employment verification.  I have to find something else soon.  I guess you can consider me a complainer now too because I'm tired of making less and less money but working more hours.  I'm working another job, but have to find a replacement for MQ asap.  I can't do this anymor ...

Job Hunting Question
Jun 14, 2011

After filling out multiple forms, tests, etc...how long can one expect to wait to hear anything?  I would hope after doing this for 11 years that I would be a good fit for someone out there.  :(  I know it is pretty tight right now...I just wondered how long people have had to wait until they heard anything.  I know I saw some people on here saying they heard right away.  I am still doing more research, applications, etc...to get all over the place.  Thanks. ...

Job Hunting Update
Mar 01, 2012

I got an e-mail yesterday about a job.  I will be talking to "them" tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  Thanks. ...

Have A Question For Those Job Hunting Or Just Getting A New Transcription Job
Feb 04, 2010

How long did it take you to hear from people?  I have sent out resumes upon resumes, on job boards, etc....I haven't heard squat from anyone!  I admit I only do clinic and rad transcription, but I do have eight years under my belt, and haven't had any complaints.  I do apply for jobs that fit in my area of expertise, and I have tried to apply outside that as well.  I thought I saw someone on this site say it took TWO MONTHS before they heard anything because of how ...

Hunting A Company That Has Clinic/multispeciality
Apr 21, 2012

anyone  know of any good companies hiring,  need input.   Much thanks in advance ...

Job Hunting - 3 Hospitals No Where Close To Me Pay......are You Ready....
Apr 30, 2012

$15/hour.  Like the good ole days.  I'm moving soon but not to those cities.  Hopefully I can find a MT in-house job, otherwise, I'm done.  I will not continue to work for these low wages while the companies make billions in revenue.  ...

Job Hunting - Found A Company Called.....s/m
Jul 19, 2012

Heartland Information Services.  Thought maybe it was a company based in the Midwest so I clicked on it.  Guess what website came up?  NUANCE.  No thank you.  Been there, done that. ...

Guess It's Time To Start Job Hunting.
Jan 28, 2015

I've been here for years and work on the worst accounts I've ever had in my life, only to make peanuts.  Now they're trying to take away the only good thing I have left, my schedule.  I wonder how many people they're going to lose this way.  If I had wanted to work 2nd and 3rd shift, I would have taken a job with that schedule in the first place.  Does it even occur to them that we took this job with our particular shift in the first place because that ...

DH And I Are Buying A New Computer. He Absolutely Wants Windows 7. I'm Job Hunting.
Dec 16, 2009

nm ...

Job Hunting.....which Is Better - Nuance Or M'Modal? Have Read All Posts.
Jun 27, 2012

Now taking a poll.   :) ...

Skills Rusty - Where To Focus Review For Job Hunting?
Dec 02, 2012

I graduated from M-Tec in Jan. 2011 while working a full-time job.  My plan was to keep working, get a part-time MT job until I gained experienced, and then quit my other job and do MT full time.  I sent out tons of resumes but received no replies except for one that expressed fear I would get burned out working 2 jobs.  After that I got discouraged and stopped looking for MT work for over a year.   Now I'm newly motivated (hate my current job) and want to start looking ...