A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Job hunting question - madmamma

Posted: Jun 14, 2011

After filling out multiple forms, tests, etc...how long can one expect to wait to hear anything?  I would hope after doing this for 11 years that I would be a good fit for someone out there.  :(  I know it is pretty tight right now...I just wondered how long people have had to wait until they heard anything.  I know I saw some people on here saying they heard right away.  I am still doing more research, applications, etc...to get all over the place.  Thanks.

waiting... - jj

[ In Reply To ..]
I did the same thing. I have 12 years experience and thought I might be a good fit, but we really are competing for the same jobs and we are all well qualified. I was offered an employee position just last week after 3 weeks of searching...and this job I just accepted I applied for at least 2 weeks before. I had two job offers that were total low ballers. I couldn't believe one company offered 6 cpl because I wanted to work part time. That's penalizing those who can't work full time. Keep your head held high. Don't be surprised, though, if you get the offers coming in and you immediately turn them down. That seems to be the nature of the beast. After working for much more money and having to leave that ICMT job because of my husband's job transfer, 6-8 cpl is something I am having trouble swallowing. On top of that it is a lot of VR editing...not real excited, but there's not much left out there and after reading tons of posts here, our jobs are going to editing and they are slowly phasing out typing (which I absolutely love to do). GOOD LUCK in your job search. Something will come up soon.

I'm 61. I find that the older you are, the longer - you will wait. (2 yrs. and counting).

[ In Reply To ..]
Age discrimination is already a big problem throughout most industries in the US as the huge Baby Boomer population ages, and needs to keep working well beyond the normally perceived retirement age of 65. Many of us can NEVER retire, thanks to our paltry wages of the past decade, and the stock market crash. But does Big Business recognize this and give older workers a chance? NO. And nowhere is that more obvious than when you apply for an MT job.

Big Buisiness gets to pay big time for our health - insurance. As long as insurance is hooked

[ In Reply To ..]
to work, it will be a serious negative we bring to the table. In addition to genuine, uncomplicated bigotry against age, of course.

BTW, why SHOULD business "give older workers a chance"? They're looking for someone to do the work, not a caretaker's job. For myself, I'm looking for a job, not a caretaker. It's strictly business.

Good luck with your job search. Maybe this will be your week. :)

Job hunting question - threedogs

[ In Reply To ..]
Ever since I was a kid, even when I had a job, always checked the Sunday paper want ads and now check the Internet. You never know what you are gonna find.

Similar Messages:

Job Hunting At 50?
Jul 14, 2011

So, who here has passed the course, passed the cert test(s) and gotten a job when you have been an MT for about 20 years or more at home??  I want very much to start a coding course and get my foot out of my home door and into a physician's office door (or hospital), but wondering if the door is actually open to those like me?  Would love to know of anyone's experience as far as getting hired at this point in life (:  Thanks! ...

Been Doing A Lot Of Job Hunting Lately -
Jul 19, 2012

am I crazy or does 8 cpl seem to be the norm lately???  I've even noticed some 7 cpl  for straight typing.  What is wrong with these people???  I made more than 8 cpl 13 years ago when I first started out.  With the cost of living as much as it is, how are we to make a living doing this job other than working our fingers to the bone and working 16 hours a day?  We all need to send emails and letters to Dateline or other news shows to do some kind of expose on t ...

For Those Of You Job Hunting, Something To Think About
Nov 23, 2013

I was  recently hired by a company and earlier today, was having a phone conversation with my supervisor.  She stated that during their recent advertisement, they had received an overwhelming response.  However, there were people who did not submit a cover letter with their resume, and cover letters and resumes that they received that were full of grammatical errors as well as spelling errors and some cover letters and resumes that contained "text type speak." For heaven's s ...

MQ As A Reference -- To MQ MTs Job Hunting
Nov 18, 2009

When completing job applications, are you all putting down the main MQ number in Laurel, NJ, are you using your current CCM's info (they chg so frequently), or using the URL for employment verification.  I have to find something else soon.  I guess you can consider me a complainer now too because I'm tired of making less and less money but working more hours.  I'm working another job, but have to find a replacement for MQ asap.  I can't do this anymor ...

Plea To MTs Job Hunting
Jun 01, 2011

If you are currently job hunting for an MT position, please do all of us a favor.  Research the company to make sure it is a US-only based company.  If all MTs who are job hunting would stick together and refuse to work for companies who outsource to India, Phillipines, etc., we could make a difference.  I have worked for 6 different companies (2 of those being PT supplemental income jobs), and I made sure all of them were US-only based jobs.  Before the rant starts, I k ...

Job Hunting Update
Mar 01, 2012

I got an e-mail yesterday about a job.  I will be talking to "them" tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  Thanks. ...

Have A Question For Those Job Hunting Or Just Getting A New Transcription Job
Feb 04, 2010

How long did it take you to hear from people?  I have sent out resumes upon resumes, on job boards, etc....I haven't heard squat from anyone!  I admit I only do clinic and rad transcription, but I do have eight years under my belt, and haven't had any complaints.  I do apply for jobs that fit in my area of expertise, and I have tried to apply outside that as well.  I thought I saw someone on this site say it took TWO MONTHS before they heard anything because of how ...

Hunting A Company That Has Clinic/multispeciality
Apr 21, 2012

anyone  know of any good companies hiring,  need input.   Much thanks in advance ...

Job Hunting - 3 Hospitals No Where Close To Me Pay......are You Ready....
Apr 30, 2012

$15/hour.  Like the good ole days.  I'm moving soon but not to those cities.  Hopefully I can find a MT in-house job, otherwise, I'm done.  I will not continue to work for these low wages while the companies make billions in revenue.  ...

Job Hunting - Found A Company Called.....s/m
Jul 19, 2012

Heartland Information Services.  Thought maybe it was a company based in the Midwest so I clicked on it.  Guess what website came up?  NUANCE.  No thank you.  Been there, done that. ...

Guess It's Time To Start Job Hunting.
Jan 28, 2015

I've been here for years and work on the worst accounts I've ever had in my life, only to make peanuts.  Now they're trying to take away the only good thing I have left, my schedule.  I wonder how many people they're going to lose this way.  If I had wanted to work 2nd and 3rd shift, I would have taken a job with that schedule in the first place.  Does it even occur to them that we took this job with our particular shift in the first place because that ...

DH And I Are Buying A New Computer. He Absolutely Wants Windows 7. I'm Job Hunting.
Dec 16, 2009

nm ...

Job Hunting.....which Is Better - Nuance Or M'Modal? Have Read All Posts.
Jun 27, 2012

Now taking a poll.   :) ...

Skills Rusty - Where To Focus Review For Job Hunting?
Dec 02, 2012

I graduated from M-Tec in Jan. 2011 while working a full-time job.  My plan was to keep working, get a part-time MT job until I gained experienced, and then quit my other job and do MT full time.  I sent out tons of resumes but received no replies except for one that expressed fear I would get burned out working 2 jobs.  After that I got discouraged and stopped looking for MT work for over a year.   Now I'm newly motivated (hate my current job) and want to start looking ...