A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Have a question for those job hunting or just getting a new transcription job - mamaathome

Posted: Feb 04, 2010

How long did it take you to hear from people?  I have sent out resumes upon resumes, on job boards, etc....I haven't heard squat from anyone!  I admit I only do clinic and rad transcription, but I do have eight years under my belt, and haven't had any complaints.  I do apply for jobs that fit in my area of expertise, and I have tried to apply outside that as well.  I thought I saw someone on this site say it took TWO MONTHS before they heard anything because of how many people are looking.  I hope it is just that reason...my self esteem is taking quite a hit.  I work now but I get NJA so much.  I am trying to target small as well as large companies.  I would even be happy to get a ding letter or two...just to know that they are reading my resume.  :(

Job Hunting - observer

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't hold your breath. They don't get back to you to let you know anything unless they are interested in you, and then it can take some time.

Same boat - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I am experiencing the same exact thing. I have tested for several companies and have not heard back, except for one MQ, and I failed their test. I got 93 and I needed a 95, but according to the posts on the MQ board I feel lucky I failed it. I have been an MT since 1988, but unfortunately my expertise is limited, as I worked in a neurology office for 17 plus years. They outsourced and at that time I did not want to work from home so did not go with the company they outsourced to. I tried working as an MT after that on site in a small office, but did not like the office politics and now here I sit working at home with no jobs available to me. In hindsight, I should have gone with the flow with the company neurology outsourced to. I only have neurology experience, which is broad, as well and one other speciality and clnic experience, and all are outpatient not inpatient. It is almost like starting out as a newbie, as most of the companies want acute care and they want only experienced MTs in acute care. I am learning to try to target the smaller companies the more I read on these posts. It seems like they would treat you more fairly, or at least that is what I have experienced in the past by working for private practices on site.

judging by Job Seeker Board and 1000s of views each ad gets .... - responses probably few and far between. n/m

[ In Reply To ..]

job hunting - justme

[ In Reply To ..]
I have about 10 years MT experience. Recently was looking for a 2nd part-time job, preferably IC status, but was willing to go employee status. I applied at I don't know how many places and took several typing tests. None of the places that I took the tests for informed me whether or not I passed the test. A couple of the places responded back and said they had nothing to fit what I was looking for. It took a couple weeks. One place I did send a followup e-mail to regarding my test because I hadn't heard anything. They said they would look into where my test was and get back to me...never heard a thing. After about a month I did get an offer for a job that was exactly what I was looking for. It really sucks when you're trying and trying to find a job, filling out all this information on their applications, taking their test, and then you hear nothing from them. I know your frustration for sure!!

I feel your pain - Job Seeker

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow...remember when you would send out 10 resumes and get immediate responses. I guess those days are long gone. Unfortunately, I guess too many of us are looking so they must be bombarded with hundreds of resumes for one job. Very sad. Guess it is time to change careers.

They've always had hundreds of resumes. - Not The Problem

[ In Reply To ..]
The industry constantly changes. Right now you need to demonstrate somehow that you are not set in your ways or inflexible and that you are staying up with the changes. I know several people who have received more than one job offer. Don't give up unless you are burned out, which is normal in all career fields, or maybe you just don't want to do things differently than you have in the past. It may be time for you to get out, but if you don't want to, the jobs are there.

Thank you. - ne

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you! (really)

response time - ggmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Just today I got a response from someone I contacted first back in early December. Often I get no reply at all, but out of 100 or so places contacted I have gotten 18 replies, so less than 20% even answered me.

Like someone else said, we're all in the same boat. I'm a newbie, so maybe I'm in the dinghy! LOL

I hear ya.... - blondie

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not looking for a job currently, but when I was, I went through the same thing. I would send resume after resume to companies and would not hear from them. Every once in a while I would hear from them, but it was rare. I only had clinic general surgery exp. Finally I got a job. It took close to a year though.

hang in there, I have 35 yr experience - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and after applying a number of places recently, got zero responses too, and I do all work types in acute care. Not that many years back, I applied to as many jobs as this time, and got almost 100% response of job offers. It is a tough market. Be persistent and proactive.

Responses - cmmcd472

[ In Reply To ..]
I also have 35 years experience. I'm working FT but looking. I've sent so many resumes I've lost track. I had a couple of offers for rad (not able to work graveyard shift) and a couple of places have put me on their call-back list but with me it's only been a couple of weeks. I'll probably wait a while and if I don't hear from some of the places I'll follow up with them. It is a very tough market, more people trying to get into the MT field with all the "work from home and make big bucks" opportunities being touted.

personally, I think the market is so tough too - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
because so much of our work is being sent overseas, sent to VR/EMR or such, and employers trying to squeeze more work out of fewer workers. Of course, trying to keep their profit margins up, hiring the less experienced for less money may be hurting some of us more experienced people too.
Friend in non-medical field has been looking for a year - Not just MT. See message
[ In Reply To ..]
Some are getting responses and jobs. The key is to make yourself attractive to the people who are doing the hiring. Don't give them any reason not to hire you. I agree that they aren't looking for the same skills they looked for 10 years ago. You have to show them that you've kept up and have the new skills required in the industry.
Tough market - cmmcd472
[ In Reply To ..]
My opinion on hiring less experienced people is that they get what they pay for. I'm also expecting the offshore thing to backfire in a big way one of these days. I am applying for other jobs too, currently waiting to see if I get called for an interview with present employer; non-MT and probably a pay cut but maybe it's a good time to do something else for a while. Maybe I am overly optimistic but I do expect things to eventually settle down and hopefully the people who want to edit VR and do other non-traditional transcription jobs will be able to find work. Hang in there everyone!
You haven't met some of the experienced people I've met - Disagree a little
[ In Reply To ..]
I've seen so many so-called experienced MTs who have just done a really bad job all those years. They either didn't know it or their employer didn't realize it or neither cared. When they have to get a new job for some reason, they have trouble. Experience can be good and it can be bad. Be assured that 25 years of bad experience is not something to brag about. Those experienced MTs that haven't kept up can turn things around, but they are going to have to change their attitudes and upgrade their skills or decide to do something else. Not meaning to be blunt, but if it hits home to someone and helps, that would be a good thing.
Experienced people - cmmcd472
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for that but I think I've kept pretty current on my skills, years of acute care, multispecialty and specialty work. I learned radiology when no one else in our department wanted to do it and now I transcribe that in addition to multispecialty. 99% or higher consistently on my QC, if we don't make it they cut our pay. BTW, what makes you such an expert on this subject?
Pretty impressive. My message above doesn't apply to you then - Experienced Also
[ In Reply To ..]
You're obviously keeping current. No offense meant. If you had to go through hundreds of resumes of people wanting jobs, you would probably agree with me. There are good and bad with both the new ones and the experienced. At this moment I'm having more problems with experienced, thus my comment. Next week I might be having more problems with someone new to transcription and I would sound snarky about new transcriptionists. It's all relative. Anyway, no offense meant.

job hunting - lookingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree not many get back with you and I realize that they get tons of resumes for theirs ads, but it is discouraging not to hear anything. I have been job hunting for 4 months now. I have been an MT, mainly IC, for 10 years and I admit my only experience is in clinic. I didn't think it would take this long to find a job. I am getting so discouraged and beginning to think I need to look outside of MT for work. Hubby's bonuses helped us through Christmas and paid off a chunk of bills, but....

Similar Messages:

Job Hunting At 50?
Jul 14, 2011

So, who here has passed the course, passed the cert test(s) and gotten a job when you have been an MT for about 20 years or more at home??  I want very much to start a coding course and get my foot out of my home door and into a physician's office door (or hospital), but wondering if the door is actually open to those like me?  Would love to know of anyone's experience as far as getting hired at this point in life (:  Thanks! ...

Been Doing A Lot Of Job Hunting Lately -
Jul 19, 2012

am I crazy or does 8 cpl seem to be the norm lately???  I've even noticed some 7 cpl  for straight typing.  What is wrong with these people???  I made more than 8 cpl 13 years ago when I first started out.  With the cost of living as much as it is, how are we to make a living doing this job other than working our fingers to the bone and working 16 hours a day?  We all need to send emails and letters to Dateline or other news shows to do some kind of expose on t ...

For Those Of You Job Hunting, Something To Think About
Nov 23, 2013

I was  recently hired by a company and earlier today, was having a phone conversation with my supervisor.  She stated that during their recent advertisement, they had received an overwhelming response.  However, there were people who did not submit a cover letter with their resume, and cover letters and resumes that they received that were full of grammatical errors as well as spelling errors and some cover letters and resumes that contained "text type speak." For heaven's s ...

MQ As A Reference -- To MQ MTs Job Hunting
Nov 18, 2009

When completing job applications, are you all putting down the main MQ number in Laurel, NJ, are you using your current CCM's info (they chg so frequently), or using the URL for employment verification.  I have to find something else soon.  I guess you can consider me a complainer now too because I'm tired of making less and less money but working more hours.  I'm working another job, but have to find a replacement for MQ asap.  I can't do this anymor ...

Job Hunting Question
Jun 14, 2011

After filling out multiple forms, tests, etc...how long can one expect to wait to hear anything?  I would hope after doing this for 11 years that I would be a good fit for someone out there.  :(  I know it is pretty tight right now...I just wondered how long people have had to wait until they heard anything.  I know I saw some people on here saying they heard right away.  I am still doing more research, applications, etc...to get all over the place.  Thanks. ...

Plea To MTs Job Hunting
Jun 01, 2011

If you are currently job hunting for an MT position, please do all of us a favor.  Research the company to make sure it is a US-only based company.  If all MTs who are job hunting would stick together and refuse to work for companies who outsource to India, Phillipines, etc., we could make a difference.  I have worked for 6 different companies (2 of those being PT supplemental income jobs), and I made sure all of them were US-only based jobs.  Before the rant starts, I k ...

Job Hunting Update
Mar 01, 2012

I got an e-mail yesterday about a job.  I will be talking to "them" tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  Thanks. ...

Hunting A Company That Has Clinic/multispeciality
Apr 21, 2012

anyone  know of any good companies hiring,  need input.   Much thanks in advance ...

Job Hunting - 3 Hospitals No Where Close To Me Pay......are You Ready....
Apr 30, 2012

$15/hour.  Like the good ole days.  I'm moving soon but not to those cities.  Hopefully I can find a MT in-house job, otherwise, I'm done.  I will not continue to work for these low wages while the companies make billions in revenue.  ...

Job Hunting - Found A Company Called.....s/m
Jul 19, 2012

Heartland Information Services.  Thought maybe it was a company based in the Midwest so I clicked on it.  Guess what website came up?  NUANCE.  No thank you.  Been there, done that. ...

Guess It's Time To Start Job Hunting.
Jan 28, 2015

I've been here for years and work on the worst accounts I've ever had in my life, only to make peanuts.  Now they're trying to take away the only good thing I have left, my schedule.  I wonder how many people they're going to lose this way.  If I had wanted to work 2nd and 3rd shift, I would have taken a job with that schedule in the first place.  Does it even occur to them that we took this job with our particular shift in the first place because that ...

DH And I Are Buying A New Computer. He Absolutely Wants Windows 7. I'm Job Hunting.
Dec 16, 2009

nm ...

Job Hunting.....which Is Better - Nuance Or M'Modal? Have Read All Posts.
Jun 27, 2012

Now taking a poll.   :) ...

Skills Rusty - Where To Focus Review For Job Hunting?
Dec 02, 2012

I graduated from M-Tec in Jan. 2011 while working a full-time job.  My plan was to keep working, get a part-time MT job until I gained experienced, and then quit my other job and do MT full time.  I sent out tons of resumes but received no replies except for one that expressed fear I would get burned out working 2 jobs.  After that I got discouraged and stopped looking for MT work for over a year.   Now I'm newly motivated (hate my current job) and want to start looking ...

InfAny Info On Net Med Transcription, All-Write Transcription Or FutureNet Technologies?
Jun 11, 2010

I would appreciate any input anyone may have on these 3 companies. I have tried to find out about them through their local BBB, but only Net Med Transcription has anything on it. Thanks. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Any Advice On Craft Transcription Or SOAP Transcription??
May 30, 2014

Hi!   Anyone heard of or work for Craft Transcription or SOAP Transcription??? I have a interview today with SOAP. Any information is appreciated. ...

United Transcription Or Alpha Transcription
Sep 14, 2010

Just trying to get info on both companies.  Don't see much when I search.  Anyone work for either of these and can give me more info would be appreaciated.  ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

What Is Your Opinion Of Nuance Transcription And United Transcription (United In Charlotte, NC)
Jun 06, 2012

I have been offered a position with both.  I have; however, in the past, had a position where the employer still owes me $6000.  Does United pay and have the work?  Does Nuance have enough work for me?  I need full time work guaranteed income, like everyone else.  Good luck to all out there! ...

JLG Transcription - Good Or Bad, Anything About JLG Transcription?
Jun 24, 2011

Can anyone tell me, good or bad, anything about JLG Transcription? Thanks. ...

ASR -v- Transcription
Oct 12, 2009

Would someone explain to me how is that this company can legally pay us a lower rate for ASR compared to transcription?  After they pushed ASR on me, (said that I wouldn't ever get a 50:50 ratio of ASR to transcription) I am getting mostly ASR work.  My pay has dropped significantly.  Can they do this? ...

Q.E.D. Transcription
Oct 13, 2009

Does anyone know anything about, or have any experience with Q.E.D. Transcription? ...

Q.E.D. Transcription?
Nov 11, 2009

I have an interview tomorrow morning with this company, and I was wondering how they are to work for (i.e. work load, pay on time, platform, etc.).   TIA!!! ...

PRN Transcription?? Anyone??
Nov 19, 2009

Anyone have any information about P.R.N. Transcription?  Got a reply on a resume I sent out and am wondering what type of company they are???  Good, bad, ugly? ...

PRN Transcription
Nov 20, 2009

For those of you who have recently posted regarding PRN and have worked for them, is this the company out of Ohio?? ...

NOW Transcription
Dec 23, 2009

Hi all!  I was just wondering if anyone worked for NOW Transcription or if anyone knew anything about this company?  Any input would be appreciated. ...

P.r.n. Transcription
Feb 02, 2010

Just wondering if anyone works for this company or has any info on them and now they are to work for. Thanks. ...

Transcription USA
May 10, 2010

Anything on Transcription USA ...