A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Skills rusty - where to focus review for job hunting? - Cleo

Posted: Dec 02, 2012

I graduated from M-Tec in Jan. 2011 while working a full-time job.  My plan was to keep working, get a part-time MT job until I gained experienced, and then quit my other job and do MT full time.  I sent out tons of resumes but received no replies except for one that expressed fear I would get burned out working 2 jobs.  After that I got discouraged and stopped looking for MT work for over a year.  

Now I'm newly motivated (hate my current job) and want to start looking again.  However, I've gotten very rusty and I'm afraid I wouldn't pass an employment test right now.  I know I need to review and practice first.  I have all my books & CDs, just not sure where to begin or where to focus my energy.  I've never taken an employment test so I don't know what it includes.  For example, is there a timed dictation, grammar & terminology quiz, etc.?  Any advice on where I should start reviewing?   

TIA

McDonalds - or Burger King

[ In Reply To ..]
Transcription is dying and pay is horrid and majority of dictators suck.

I get it - Cleo

[ In Reply To ..]
Have read all the negativity about MT being a dying field and not saying I disagree. However, I paid for the course and worked hard at it. I'd like to try and get something out of it. If MT dies completely, hopefully I'll have enough skills by then to transition into a related job.

If it was me, - I would just

[ In Reply To ..]
apply and take tests for companies that are "hiring" and see what happens. Start with the ones you are least interested in so you can at least see what MT Test is like... most of them use the same service although slightly different tests. Also, I assume most of it will be editing at this time, so don't expect much actual typing, as MT has pretty much been dead for a while, replaced by lower paying ME.

Most of what you get on this message board is doom and gloom, and rightfully so, but I wouldn't let that stop me from at least trying.
Thank you - Cleo
[ In Reply To ..]
After reading mostly negative reviews on some of the big MT companies on here, I decided to start there, lol. I appreciate the advice. I know MT is not a promising industry right now, but I hate to waste the expensive training so I'm giving it my best shot. (Again.)

Not McDonald's let's - make a pact

[ In Reply To ..]
Let's resolve to stop recommending McDonald's and Wal-Mart to each other. Yes we know MT is on its way out but we can do better than McD and Wal-Mart. We all know we are better than that. A little dignity, please.

Review then just apply would be my suggestion, plus - Advice on a couple of issues

[ In Reply To ..]
Since you have never worked and it has been 2 years since you graduated, I would review your course materials first. Set up a 3-month schedule so that you cover the most important material (A&P, med terms, transcription practice). Since you already covered it once, it won't take as long. Retranscribe the CDs, but this time make an effort toward increasing your production speed. Get a calendar planner and divide the material so that you cover specific sections or units each day.

You should not need further advice on how to do this. It is easy enough--the school already organized it for you. You should not need anyone hanging over you to get this done, either. If you cannot motivate yourself, you will not be able to motivate yourself to work remotely in any job where a supervisor is not there to hound you.

When you finish, apply to one employer and take the test so you can see what it is like. They are going to be concerned about the 2-year delay, so be prepared to address that.

M-TEC grads are supposed to get jobs with nationals, so the fact that you did not is a concern. You were not even offered a test, apparently. That would make me think your grades had been poor or your application full of misspellings and grammar errors or something.

You said one employer was concerned that you would be unable to work two jobs at once. That tells me you shot yourself in the foot by disclosing inappropriate information on your application. You do not need to explain things like that to employers, nor should you. NEVER, ever volunteer information that will disqualify you from a job! Provide only what is required and what paints you in an optimal light!

Seeking only part time work may have disqualified you, as well. I believe the MTSOs prefer not to hire new MTs on a part time basis.

That being said, I think you are better off in your current job. You might hate it, but it is a steady, paying job. MT is not very good right now. It has taken a huge downturn in the last few years. Please do not come back saying that you really have to do MT so you can stay at home because you hate working on-site--that is not a good reason and it sends up red flags with employers.

As an alternative, you might consider using what you learned in your MT course by applying it to coding. This is especially true if you currently work in healthcare, but consider it even if you do not. You should be ble to learn enough to pass the CPC exam and get an outpatient coding job by taking an AAPC-type course. They have them online and they certify instructors who teach them locally. I would recommend the local option because it will give you networking opportunities. It might take only 3 or 4 months. To me, that seems to be a far better option. It will take you much further than MT.

Thanks. So a question about applying in the future... - Cleo

[ In Reply To ..]
My GPA was 97% and there are no spelling errors on my resume, so I don't think that was the problem. You're probably right about my seeking p/t work and my f/t job that worked against me. I did show my current job on my resume. Maybe that was a mistake, but I wanted to be honest about my work history. If I don't show my current job, it suggests that I'm unemployed or available for daytime work, which I wouldn't be. Sooo... how can I get around this in the future so I'll be considered?

List your current job but ... - do not offer that you intend to keep it

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, you must like an accurate work history, including your current job. Just don't explain that you intend to keep it. If they ask your reason for leaving, say it is because you want to do MT and that you prefer night hours.

MTSOs may prefer to have new MTs on days. I don't know . . . perhaps someone else knows.

You can always ask Linda Andrews for advice, too. She will be happy to talk to you no matter what school you attended. Let her review your application before you send it in. For that matter, contact her now. She may have very good advice.
Question - Cleo
[ In Reply To ..]
Well that's kind of what I did. I wrote in my cover email that I was looking for part-time work and that my goal was to transition to a full-time MT career once I gained experience. Who is Linda Andrews and how can I contact her? Sorry for all the questions. The advice has been very helpful.

another way to look at this - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
How about making a list of the companies that you don't want to work for? Take their tests, fill out the applications, and learn your problem areas. When you are feeling more confident, apply to the companies you actually do want to work for. Just an idea.

Linda Andrews - Wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
Linda Andrews owns and operates the Andrews School for medical transcription and coding, enough said. How someone like that has time to review resumes from people looking for work escapes me unless there is a hidden agenda, just saying. You could also check with your local Skill Source or Employment Security Department, they offer resume advice and career workshops to job seekers. Not being able to find PT work as a transcriptionist probably has nothing to do with your resume or your skills. Many MTSOs want full time employees and set schedules unless you have your own accounts. Also, the job market is very tight because of VR and templated health records and fewer MTs ae needed. If you have a job, even though you might think you hate it, my suggestion would be not to quit, there is a lot to be said for stability.

No "hidden" agenda - Kathleen

[ In Reply To ..]
Linda Andrews has no hidden agenda. It is a well-known fact that she helps answer questions from anybody who contacts her--whether they attend her school or not. She gives solid advice and recommendations and quite often does favors without any expectation in return.

There ARE good, decent people in the world who are kind and help whenever they can. Linda Andrews is one of those people.

She would never cast aspersions about your character, "just saying."

How sad that your world - only includes

[ In Reply To ..]
greedy, selfish, hateful people who are only out for themselves. No wonder you are unable to appreciate the kindness and generosity of someone like Linda Andrews. She has no hidden agenda. She cares about the MT profession and is highly respected by all truly professional people in the industry. I hope you are able to find someone like that in your life at least once.

Just sayin'.
Did you ask Linda's permission - Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
Before you volunteered her services? Just saying.
No, I did not ask her permission - If she objects . . .
[ In Reply To ..]
. . . I would be very surprised. She is well-known for this.

I just know that she is a great mentor. She is a calm, kind, generous, and sensible person who enjoys helping others. She also has a fabulous network of experts to call on.

Her students get hired fast, so it seems that she is attuned to what employers want. I think she can spot the problem in a resume from a mile away.

And no. I don't work for her. There is no ulterior motive.

To the OP . . . you can get her number on the Andrews School website. Google that and coding or transcription. I will try to put a link below.
Whatever - Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
You have never met me and know nothing about me so do not be so quick to judge others. The fact that Linda Andrews would steer anyone toward a career that has no future regardless of the education received does say something. Your "call Linda, in fact call her now" response also caused me to question your motive. I'm sorry to have misjudged you, Linda or the school.

Similar Messages:

RUSTY MT/MTE
Jul 04, 2012

I'm a rusty MT/MTE who has 4 years experience with an MTSO and 6 years at a hospital, but I haven't worked in 3 years.  Anybody know of a company that might hire me and let me get back up to speed??  Open to any suggestions, and thanks in advance. ...

How To Pend A Report For Review When You Are On 100% Review
May 12, 2014

Help.  I know you send a report with no questions with Control N but forgot how to send reports for review. ...

Job Hunting At 50?
Jul 14, 2011

So, who here has passed the course, passed the cert test(s) and gotten a job when you have been an MT for about 20 years or more at home??  I want very much to start a coding course and get my foot out of my home door and into a physician's office door (or hospital), but wondering if the door is actually open to those like me?  Would love to know of anyone's experience as far as getting hired at this point in life (:  Thanks! ...

Been Doing A Lot Of Job Hunting Lately -
Jul 19, 2012

am I crazy or does 8 cpl seem to be the norm lately???  I've even noticed some 7 cpl  for straight typing.  What is wrong with these people???  I made more than 8 cpl 13 years ago when I first started out.  With the cost of living as much as it is, how are we to make a living doing this job other than working our fingers to the bone and working 16 hours a day?  We all need to send emails and letters to Dateline or other news shows to do some kind of expose on t ...

For Those Of You Job Hunting, Something To Think About
Nov 23, 2013

I was  recently hired by a company and earlier today, was having a phone conversation with my supervisor.  She stated that during their recent advertisement, they had received an overwhelming response.  However, there were people who did not submit a cover letter with their resume, and cover letters and resumes that they received that were full of grammatical errors as well as spelling errors and some cover letters and resumes that contained "text type speak." For heaven's s ...

MQ As A Reference -- To MQ MTs Job Hunting
Nov 18, 2009

When completing job applications, are you all putting down the main MQ number in Laurel, NJ, are you using your current CCM's info (they chg so frequently), or using the URL for employment verification.  I have to find something else soon.  I guess you can consider me a complainer now too because I'm tired of making less and less money but working more hours.  I'm working another job, but have to find a replacement for MQ asap.  I can't do this anymor ...

Job Hunting Question
Jun 14, 2011

After filling out multiple forms, tests, etc...how long can one expect to wait to hear anything?  I would hope after doing this for 11 years that I would be a good fit for someone out there.  :(  I know it is pretty tight right now...I just wondered how long people have had to wait until they heard anything.  I know I saw some people on here saying they heard right away.  I am still doing more research, applications, etc...to get all over the place.  Thanks. ...

Plea To MTs Job Hunting
Jun 01, 2011

If you are currently job hunting for an MT position, please do all of us a favor.  Research the company to make sure it is a US-only based company.  If all MTs who are job hunting would stick together and refuse to work for companies who outsource to India, Phillipines, etc., we could make a difference.  I have worked for 6 different companies (2 of those being PT supplemental income jobs), and I made sure all of them were US-only based jobs.  Before the rant starts, I k ...

Job Hunting Update
Mar 01, 2012

I got an e-mail yesterday about a job.  I will be talking to "them" tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  Thanks. ...

A Reading Skills Test
Dec 18, 2009

ancillary tests: The parents bring in s/l Conner reading skills. ...

Transferrable Skills From MT To What Industries?
Mar 29, 2010

I have to get out of MT.  Been doing this over 20 years and am so burnt out.  What are some other industries where these skills would be transferrable?  I'm feeling like MT is all I know how to do and its depressing.  Thinking about taking a Medical Assistant course or something. ...

Every Day Another Test...at Least I'm Keeping Up My MT Skills!!
Aug 08, 2010

Anyone noticed these tests are asking some of the same questoins?  My little answers keep popping up when I start typing in the answer.  The transcription portions are way too long though.  Some are super easy and others are the scum at the bottom of the barrel.  I'm beginning to think we're doing somebody's work for them!  Now I'm thinking about all the money I could have made by transcribing these stupid test reports.  I think one company test ...

I'm Second Guessing My Skills...help! In A Sentence
Oct 08, 2011

when the doc says something like the:  Skin is pink, warm and dry and intact.  Is that how you would type it?  Not sure about the proper comma usage.  Nothing looks correct to me anymore!!!  ...

If The Pay Matched MT Skills..why Am I Complaining?
Oct 29, 2011

I only wish the rate of MT pay matched the MT skills, but why am I complaining? Still have a job .... Many years ago, I can remember that my niece would always ask me about my MT work and how I was able to stay at home and do this sort of work on a full-time basis. Back then, I would try to explain to my young 9-year-old niece that it is all about my preference to stay at home and work full-time, instead of working in Corporate America which I did for many years, and having to commute to work ...

Would Someone With Writing Skills Please Create A -sm
Mar 04, 2015

descriptive narrative for the MTs who have or will be leaving this company, to go along with the ones we recieve when the VP and such leave.  I mean really..we need to be ackowledged for our committment, dedication, accomplishments, etc.  Sarcasim is encouraged! ...

Have A Question For Those Job Hunting Or Just Getting A New Transcription Job
Feb 04, 2010

How long did it take you to hear from people?  I have sent out resumes upon resumes, on job boards, etc....I haven't heard squat from anyone!  I admit I only do clinic and rad transcription, but I do have eight years under my belt, and haven't had any complaints.  I do apply for jobs that fit in my area of expertise, and I have tried to apply outside that as well.  I thought I saw someone on this site say it took TWO MONTHS before they heard anything because of how ...

Pathology Transcription - What Skills Are Needed?
Jun 29, 2010

I've been an acute care transcriptionist for 15 years... can anyone tell me if I qualify for Pathology transcription or is this an acquired skill that needs more schooling? Thanks! ...

Burr Or Murr Skills Intact?
Jul 15, 2011

This is part of the physical exam.  It is mentioned after cranial nerves (although I'm not sure if it goes along with that or not) and sounds like either burr skills or murr skills.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!  ...

MT Jobs Skills Transferable To New Career?
Oct 17, 2011

I am currently an MT but will probably try a career switch in in the next few years. I'm just brainstorming right now. What are some good career choices for someone with the skill set for MT? ...

A Question About Data Entry Skills-sm
Mar 26, 2012

I am looking for work as an Mt and not having any luck.  Today, I searched the job service board and found a cool job.  It is an IC position with flexible hours and very good pay.  It is collecting data for the county/township and entering it into a lap top.  They want you to be ableto enter 7000 or more strokes per hour.  I meet all the qualifications except this which, of course, is "key" to the job.  I know nothing of data entry but I hate to pass on the opportun ...

Question About Skills Test/Percentiles
Sep 08, 2014

I took some skills tests, non-MT related, and I'm not sure how to interpret something. I received a 90% (that part I get) which put me in the 56th percentile, and average of 67%. I THINK I know that the 67% means the average people got, who took that test. Is that correct? I don't understand at all the percentile part (the 56.) What does that mean exactly? Thanks! ...

Hunting A Company That Has Clinic/multispeciality
Apr 21, 2012

anyone  know of any good companies hiring,  need input.   Much thanks in advance ...

Job Hunting - 3 Hospitals No Where Close To Me Pay......are You Ready....
Apr 30, 2012

$15/hour.  Like the good ole days.  I'm moving soon but not to those cities.  Hopefully I can find a MT in-house job, otherwise, I'm done.  I will not continue to work for these low wages while the companies make billions in revenue.  ...

Job Hunting - Found A Company Called.....s/m
Jul 19, 2012

Heartland Information Services.  Thought maybe it was a company based in the Midwest so I clicked on it.  Guess what website came up?  NUANCE.  No thank you.  Been there, done that. ...

Guess It's Time To Start Job Hunting.
Jan 28, 2015

I've been here for years and work on the worst accounts I've ever had in my life, only to make peanuts.  Now they're trying to take away the only good thing I have left, my schedule.  I wonder how many people they're going to lose this way.  If I had wanted to work 2nd and 3rd shift, I would have taken a job with that schedule in the first place.  Does it even occur to them that we took this job with our particular shift in the first place because that ...

What Ways Can I Continue To Grow In Skills After Graduating?
Jul 13, 2010

Hello fellow MT's! I am almost finished with my MT course, and I would like some counsel from everyone on their experiences with continuing education after graduation. First I am going to go for my RMT as recommended by the ADHI. What tools and resources did you use that helped? Which ones do you recommend? Has anyone gotten a degree to enhance their knowledge, and if so, what degree? I have recently been discharged after 8 yrs in the Army and I have been studying in my ...

DH And I Are Buying A New Computer. He Absolutely Wants Windows 7. I'm Job Hunting.
Dec 16, 2009

nm ...

Job Hunting.....which Is Better - Nuance Or M'Modal? Have Read All Posts.
Jun 27, 2012

Now taking a poll.   :) ...

Review
Sep 16, 2010

I am a new MT who has only been in the business since March.  I still review every single one of my reports...I did stop listening to them again since I am comfortable with that part...My question is what is a normal amount of time to auctally stop going over the reports again?...I do understand sometimes that it is necessary to sometimes go back over them. Problem is work is picking up and I simply can not keep spending too much time going back over them, not to mention that it dips into p ...

On Review Of Systems ..
Jun 17, 2010

On review of systems, under "constitutional" ______ s/l moyes and fatigue. ...