A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

DH and I are buying a new computer. He absolutely wants Windows 7. I'm job hunting. - Will services let me use Windows 7 or is it too ne

Posted: Dec 16, 2009

nm

Try for a dual boot system - MoMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you buy at a local vendor (Best Buy is good for this sort of thing), you can often have a system set up with two operating systems, Windows 7 (which is wonderful) and XP Pro, which is still the operating system of choice in the transcription business.

The "cleanest" way to do it is to have your new computer come with 2 hard drives and keep the operating systems on separate drives. That way there's little choice of cross-platform corruption.

On the other hand, transcription doesn't demand a new computer. Why don't you just use the old one for work or pick up an inexpensive used system for transcription? Windows XP machines that are more than adequate for transcription can often be found used for not much money.

SInce Windows 7 is so new, many companies - HK

[ In Reply To ..]
may not yet be compatible. Mine isn't even compatible with Vista. We still use XP.

Similar Messages:

Buying Out A Company Computer?
Dec 04, 2014

I currently have a company-provided computer that I work from (Webmedx). I think I remember somewhere a long time ago that I can have the option of buying the computer if I leave the company. Does anyone know any info on this? If I quit Nuance, can I buy this computer from them? I don't have another one. TIA! ...

SUGGESTIONS NEEDED! Got A New Computer And Old Medical Dictionary Is Not Compatible So I Am Buying A
Apr 21, 2010

nm ...

WAV & 64 Bit Computer & Windows 7
Feb 15, 2011

I'm having an awful time with my WAVpedal since getting a spanking new 64 bit computer running Windows 7.  The folks where I got my software insist that it's not a compatibility issue but I'm not so sure.  I'm finding that I'm not able to play certain types of voice files, including some, but not all, MP3's.  Seems to depend on the bit speed, not that I have any idea what that means.  I've been going back and forth with them for weeks now an ...

Just An FYI For Those That Might Be Looking For A Windows 7 Computer
Mar 16, 2014

I was checking mail last night after work and one was from "one of the home shopping sites."  I went to their website and noticed that they have laptops with Windows 7 on them that you can buy over several payments.  Not sure about desktops, because I have used a laptop for years and my current laptop has Windows 7.  Also, many of these and that might be pretty much everywhere, come installed with Home Premium (I know mine did), that does cause "problems down the road," as far as ...

Wanting To Put Windows 7 On My Computer. Please Sm
Dec 08, 2009

I currently have Vista.  I was eligible for the Windows 7 upgrade.  If I put Windows 7 on my computer, will I lose my programs, like my Shorthand, Kodak, my work programs used for typing? Thanks ...

I Just Downloaded DS To A New Windows 7 32-bit Computer
Apr 18, 2011

and I'm having all sorts of trouble.  Anyone else using Win 7 that can advise me?  I have to go in with every dictation and reset the pedal settings so that the pedal will work and the feature to enlarge the text won't work.  Sure could use some advise here. ...

Need Help Windows 7 Computer Shopping
Apr 10, 2014

Somebody posted yesterday that they are very happy with their new Windows 7 laptop.  I am shopping for either that or a Windows 7 all-in-one or regular computer.  Could that person tell me exactly what make and model they bought?  I don't want to buy the wrong thing, nor do I want to overpay for more than I need.   Thanks for your help.  ...

Well, I Just Bought A Brand New Computer With Windows 7 And
Apr 13, 2014

everything updates to the hilt and I am finding my typing screen has a lag to it.  I have tons of ram, etc etc and I wonder if Norton is playing a roll.  It isnt a terrible lag but when you type very fast it will locked for a few seconds.  It isnt like waiting on words to appear it is more a lock type lag if you type too fast.  I find these new computers are most assuredly nothing like the older ones that i have had.  Much more chintzy and of course made in China.  ...

Instant Text V On A Computer Running Windows 7?
Jan 14, 2011

Does anyone know if a resolution has ever been found for loading Instant Text V on a computer running Windows 7? I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 7 Professional so that it would run XP version programs. Why will it not load? It is telling me the version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows I am running. ...

Buying American
Oct 19, 2009

Hey, Everybody: In the spirit of solidarity, if we want support for our cause, then we might want to consider supporting other industries in America.  There are places to "Buy American" on the website.  We shouldn't support Big Box Stores that import everything and make a killing as well as treat their employees like chattel.  You know who I am talking about.  If we buy into the theory, "Oh, but it's so inexpensive to go there," then we are just as bad as the tran ...

BOS 3 Worth Buying?
Nov 15, 2010

Is it worth purchasing the BOS 3 before I start testing?  I have looked online to see what others have said, and it seems like most have said they wouldn't spend the money because it's not that different from the 2nd version.  One person said they read the book and saw only 2 changes from the previous edition.  I'm not sure what to do.  I'm worried that I'm going to need the newer version to pass the test.  Just wanted to see what others have don ...

MQ Buying More Companies.
Oct 03, 2011

Nuance bought WMX, MQ just bought E Trans and I think AllType recently.  Is it going to boil down to a dual between those 2 companies or does Transcend still enter into the equation? Scared to go to any other smaller company, you know they are all targeted to be bought by one of the above.  ...

Why MQ And Nuance Are Buying Everyone Out
Nov 22, 2011

so let's open our eyes.  MQ and Nuance are now the 2 biggest companies, and very known fact that they are offshoring everything they can.  I don't have firsthand information, this is just my theory.  they contact hospitals/clinics that they don't have contracts with and underbid them, probably to a point the hospital administrators are doing cartwheels.  As soon as they acquire the majority of the accounts that the smaller companies are now contracted with, suc ...

Saw The Post About If Nuance Is Buying
May 27, 2012

where MM is paying Nuance for something.  MM is using Nuance's Escription and my friend was told they have no plans to not use it.  Someone on company board was adamant that MM and Nuance have no interest in each other but these kind of rumors are getting more and more frequent.  ...

Worth Buying Text Expander?
Jan 08, 2011

I have been working on trying to increase my speed with expanders.  So far I've been using Microsoft word to enter expanders but I'm wondering if that is enough.  I would like to have an expander for blocks of text.  Have any you purchased a text expander program and is it worth it?  I'm shocked at the price of a few of these programs and hesitate to purchase one. ...

Has Anyone Looked Into Buying Health Insurance Through The Marketplace Instead?
Nov 05, 2014

I mean, Nuance ins doesn't cover anything really. It's only in case of something catastrophic and then you'd better be able to pay $5000 out of pocket right? I mean we have to pay for everything until we hit $5000 just for the insurance to even start paying for anything. Right? Is Obamacare better than that? If it is, it's not affordable at all. ...

Job Hunting At 50?
Jul 14, 2011

So, who here has passed the course, passed the cert test(s) and gotten a job when you have been an MT for about 20 years or more at home??  I want very much to start a coding course and get my foot out of my home door and into a physician's office door (or hospital), but wondering if the door is actually open to those like me?  Would love to know of anyone's experience as far as getting hired at this point in life (:  Thanks! ...

Been Doing A Lot Of Job Hunting Lately -
Jul 19, 2012

am I crazy or does 8 cpl seem to be the norm lately???  I've even noticed some 7 cpl  for straight typing.  What is wrong with these people???  I made more than 8 cpl 13 years ago when I first started out.  With the cost of living as much as it is, how are we to make a living doing this job other than working our fingers to the bone and working 16 hours a day?  We all need to send emails and letters to Dateline or other news shows to do some kind of expose on t ...

For Those Of You Job Hunting, Something To Think About
Nov 23, 2013

I was  recently hired by a company and earlier today, was having a phone conversation with my supervisor.  She stated that during their recent advertisement, they had received an overwhelming response.  However, there were people who did not submit a cover letter with their resume, and cover letters and resumes that they received that were full of grammatical errors as well as spelling errors and some cover letters and resumes that contained "text type speak." For heaven's s ...

MQ As A Reference -- To MQ MTs Job Hunting
Nov 18, 2009

When completing job applications, are you all putting down the main MQ number in Laurel, NJ, are you using your current CCM's info (they chg so frequently), or using the URL for employment verification.  I have to find something else soon.  I guess you can consider me a complainer now too because I'm tired of making less and less money but working more hours.  I'm working another job, but have to find a replacement for MQ asap.  I can't do this anymor ...

Job Hunting Question
Jun 14, 2011

After filling out multiple forms, tests, etc...how long can one expect to wait to hear anything?  I would hope after doing this for 11 years that I would be a good fit for someone out there.  :(  I know it is pretty tight right now...I just wondered how long people have had to wait until they heard anything.  I know I saw some people on here saying they heard right away.  I am still doing more research, applications, etc...to get all over the place.  Thanks. ...

Plea To MTs Job Hunting
Jun 01, 2011

If you are currently job hunting for an MT position, please do all of us a favor.  Research the company to make sure it is a US-only based company.  If all MTs who are job hunting would stick together and refuse to work for companies who outsource to India, Phillipines, etc., we could make a difference.  I have worked for 6 different companies (2 of those being PT supplemental income jobs), and I made sure all of them were US-only based jobs.  Before the rant starts, I k ...

Job Hunting Update
Mar 01, 2012

I got an e-mail yesterday about a job.  I will be talking to "them" tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  Thanks. ...

Have A Question For Those Job Hunting Or Just Getting A New Transcription Job
Feb 04, 2010

How long did it take you to hear from people?  I have sent out resumes upon resumes, on job boards, etc....I haven't heard squat from anyone!  I admit I only do clinic and rad transcription, but I do have eight years under my belt, and haven't had any complaints.  I do apply for jobs that fit in my area of expertise, and I have tried to apply outside that as well.  I thought I saw someone on this site say it took TWO MONTHS before they heard anything because of how ...

Hunting A Company That Has Clinic/multispeciality
Apr 21, 2012

anyone  know of any good companies hiring,  need input.   Much thanks in advance ...

Job Hunting - 3 Hospitals No Where Close To Me Pay......are You Ready....
Apr 30, 2012

$15/hour.  Like the good ole days.  I'm moving soon but not to those cities.  Hopefully I can find a MT in-house job, otherwise, I'm done.  I will not continue to work for these low wages while the companies make billions in revenue.  ...

Job Hunting - Found A Company Called.....s/m
Jul 19, 2012

Heartland Information Services.  Thought maybe it was a company based in the Midwest so I clicked on it.  Guess what website came up?  NUANCE.  No thank you.  Been there, done that. ...

Guess It's Time To Start Job Hunting.
Jan 28, 2015

I've been here for years and work on the worst accounts I've ever had in my life, only to make peanuts.  Now they're trying to take away the only good thing I have left, my schedule.  I wonder how many people they're going to lose this way.  If I had wanted to work 2nd and 3rd shift, I would have taken a job with that schedule in the first place.  Does it even occur to them that we took this job with our particular shift in the first place because that ...

Absolutely No Idea...HELP!
Oct 19, 2009

He had an abdominal ultrasound, which showed reverse lerndalytes and left guaddle veins. ...

HELP! I Have Absolutely No Clue What This Could Be.
Nov 12, 2009

This is a cardiologist dictating a med list.  He spells it out as OTROCEFF.  I tried changing the ceff to ceph tihnking the pt just sounded it out but no go.  Any ideas at all? I am completely stumped here.   ...