A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

been doing a lot of job hunting lately - - MT4Eight

Posted: Jul 19, 2012

am I crazy or does 8 cpl seem to be the norm lately???  I've even noticed some 7 cpl  for straight typing.  What is wrong with these people???  I made more than 8 cpl 13 years ago when I first started out.  With the cost of living as much as it is, how are we to make a living doing this job other than working our fingers to the bone and working 16 hours a day?  We all need to send emails and letters to Dateline or other news shows to do some kind of expose on the MT world because this profession has turned into nothing more than a glorified sweat shop industry right here in the good old USA.  We're treated no better than those poor workers in other countries working for a few dollars a day. 

dateline is a great idea - who is going to construct the letter?

[ In Reply To ..]
I will send one, but need a format.

I would love to send a letter too, but not - MT4Eight

[ In Reply To ..]
sure where to start. I don't want to sound like an idiot. I want it to be professional and state facts so they take it seriously. Any ideas appreciated.

yeah you're right - say what

[ In Reply To ..]
You're right. The plight of the MT is far more important than the homeless, the jobless, those who have lost their pensions, those whose lives are being destroyed by the drought, those who fall into the cracks of our society every day. Yeah, yeah. Call Dateline and whine that you're not paid what you were 15 years ago. Let me know how you make out.

Ya know - it's rude people like you who - MT4Eight

[ In Reply To ..]
who make me not want to post things on these boards. As far as your homeless, jobless and lost pensions remark - we as MTs will soon be homeless and without pensions because we won't make enough money to buy a home and put away money for a pension. Why don't you go do something constructive rather than trying to stomp someone down for god forbid trying to come up with a constructive idea rather than just sitting back and taking what we're being dealt.

No kidding! - Totally agree

[ In Reply To ..]
We work at home - boo hoo. No one makes what they did 15 years ago! These people need to get out of the house, look around or try watching Dateline themselves. MT wages on Dateline? Maybe Saturday Night Live, showing the sad MT crying over the keyboard repeating the same cycle that obviously doesn't work for them in the first place.

Haven't posted on here for a while but.... - Boosted Mom

[ In Reply To ..]
you know, it's not just about how much you're making now as compared to 13 years ago, it's what's going on with our medical records; offshoring, privacy issues, and the quality of our medical records. That's the bigger story, which eventually ties in with not making the money we used to. Greedy companies dumbing down the medical transcription industry to line their own pockets.
A perfect example - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
If any of you are familiar with the freelance websites such as Elance, ODesk, etc., you will understand when you see bidders from out of the country take all of the work for as little as $2.00 per hour or $40 for 90 minutes of dictation. It's ridiculous, and as long as it exists we can't compete with those rates because I, personally, am not working for $2.00/hour or typing 90 minutes of dictation for $40. Would those who think it's "whining" do that? Because that's what the industry is leading to as long as it's available. We are living amongst a society where quantity/cost of service is more important than quality and that's increasing more and more each day.
Our "plight" - is not that big of a deal
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, to us personally, it's a HUGE deal. But in reality? As I said, in the face of the other issues going on, where people have no home, no job, no food, no prospects, our plight is just not that drastic.

As to the comment about privacy, offshoring, etc. If you've paid attention to where medical records are going, the issues you raise, again, are just not that big of a deal. Someone sitting in Bombay transcribing the medical record of SuzyHomemaker is Miami, is no more of a threat than DebbieDowner ticked off over her job is, in fact, may be LESS.

We're heading to a place where structured data and streamlined notes are going to be the issue. All this screaming about grammar, privacy, blah blah it's just not going to matter. The public at large has greater concerns than the person sitting at home transcribing their medical records is making less money and unhappy with the way her job is going.

Utter BS - gumby
[ In Reply To ..]
If you think its ok for your medical records to be transcribed overseas, then hey, let's just do away with JCAHO and HIPAA. Why have laws here in the United States, that we all have to abide by, when work is being sent to be done offshore, where those laws are not in effect? I think if any of us really care about our jobs and patient care, perhaps the way is to get Congress to pass law so that the work can't be done anywhere but here. Sorry if I've missed something here. I don't read posts here very often, so if its been discussed, I've missed it.

And, I really don't understand your attitude. Do you even work in this industry?

You mean like what's happening to thousands of MTs right now? - (no message)

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Job Hunting At 50?
Jul 14, 2011

So, who here has passed the course, passed the cert test(s) and gotten a job when you have been an MT for about 20 years or more at home??  I want very much to start a coding course and get my foot out of my home door and into a physician's office door (or hospital), but wondering if the door is actually open to those like me?  Would love to know of anyone's experience as far as getting hired at this point in life (:  Thanks! ...

For Those Of You Job Hunting, Something To Think About
Nov 23, 2013

I was  recently hired by a company and earlier today, was having a phone conversation with my supervisor.  She stated that during their recent advertisement, they had received an overwhelming response.  However, there were people who did not submit a cover letter with their resume, and cover letters and resumes that they received that were full of grammatical errors as well as spelling errors and some cover letters and resumes that contained "text type speak." For heaven's s ...

MQ As A Reference -- To MQ MTs Job Hunting
Nov 18, 2009

When completing job applications, are you all putting down the main MQ number in Laurel, NJ, are you using your current CCM's info (they chg so frequently), or using the URL for employment verification.  I have to find something else soon.  I guess you can consider me a complainer now too because I'm tired of making less and less money but working more hours.  I'm working another job, but have to find a replacement for MQ asap.  I can't do this anymor ...

Job Hunting Question
Jun 14, 2011

After filling out multiple forms, tests, etc...how long can one expect to wait to hear anything?  I would hope after doing this for 11 years that I would be a good fit for someone out there.  :(  I know it is pretty tight right now...I just wondered how long people have had to wait until they heard anything.  I know I saw some people on here saying they heard right away.  I am still doing more research, applications, etc...to get all over the place.  Thanks. ...

Plea To MTs Job Hunting
Jun 01, 2011

If you are currently job hunting for an MT position, please do all of us a favor.  Research the company to make sure it is a US-only based company.  If all MTs who are job hunting would stick together and refuse to work for companies who outsource to India, Phillipines, etc., we could make a difference.  I have worked for 6 different companies (2 of those being PT supplemental income jobs), and I made sure all of them were US-only based jobs.  Before the rant starts, I k ...

Job Hunting Update
Mar 01, 2012

I got an e-mail yesterday about a job.  I will be talking to "them" tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  Thanks. ...

Have A Question For Those Job Hunting Or Just Getting A New Transcription Job
Feb 04, 2010

How long did it take you to hear from people?  I have sent out resumes upon resumes, on job boards, etc....I haven't heard squat from anyone!  I admit I only do clinic and rad transcription, but I do have eight years under my belt, and haven't had any complaints.  I do apply for jobs that fit in my area of expertise, and I have tried to apply outside that as well.  I thought I saw someone on this site say it took TWO MONTHS before they heard anything because of how ...

Hunting A Company That Has Clinic/multispeciality
Apr 21, 2012

anyone  know of any good companies hiring,  need input.   Much thanks in advance ...

Job Hunting - 3 Hospitals No Where Close To Me Pay......are You Ready....
Apr 30, 2012

$15/hour.  Like the good ole days.  I'm moving soon but not to those cities.  Hopefully I can find a MT in-house job, otherwise, I'm done.  I will not continue to work for these low wages while the companies make billions in revenue.  ...

Job Hunting - Found A Company Called.....s/m
Jul 19, 2012

Heartland Information Services.  Thought maybe it was a company based in the Midwest so I clicked on it.  Guess what website came up?  NUANCE.  No thank you.  Been there, done that. ...

Guess It's Time To Start Job Hunting.
Jan 28, 2015

I've been here for years and work on the worst accounts I've ever had in my life, only to make peanuts.  Now they're trying to take away the only good thing I have left, my schedule.  I wonder how many people they're going to lose this way.  If I had wanted to work 2nd and 3rd shift, I would have taken a job with that schedule in the first place.  Does it even occur to them that we took this job with our particular shift in the first place because that ...

DH And I Are Buying A New Computer. He Absolutely Wants Windows 7. I'm Job Hunting.
Dec 16, 2009

nm ...

Job Hunting.....which Is Better - Nuance Or M'Modal? Have Read All Posts.
Jun 27, 2012

Now taking a poll.   :) ...

Skills Rusty - Where To Focus Review For Job Hunting?
Dec 02, 2012

I graduated from M-Tec in Jan. 2011 while working a full-time job.  My plan was to keep working, get a part-time MT job until I gained experienced, and then quit my other job and do MT full time.  I sent out tons of resumes but received no replies except for one that expressed fear I would get burned out working 2 jobs.  After that I got discouraged and stopped looking for MT work for over a year.   Now I'm newly motivated (hate my current job) and want to start looking ...