A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question for those with 100% or close quality - do you proof or replay?

Posted: May 13, 2014

I have been working so hard to still get a decent line count yet not make big errors, yet still am getting them. I pretty much have the numbers down pretty well, i.e. age, vitals, meds and labs, but seem to make errors on something I might have typed once right in the report, but later got it wrong! It just killls me.

I need to make more than minimum wage, and I have given up on getting the bonus, but I am still sick to my stomach when I see silly errors I make in FIESA.

Just wondering if anyone has a system they might be willing to share, i.e. relistening at the fastest speed (sometimes I catch things this way, but even at the fastest speed it adds way too much time on to the editing process) or any clues about focusing better.

The errors I get sometimes I think are when I just type the words without connecting their meaning or allow the words the ISR has put on there to stand because I am not thinking and connecting the words, but this is always something I only seem to realize I have done when it is too late.

So if anyone has some good hints about proofing, listening, focusing, I would certainly like to hear them!

May I suggest..... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
SLOW DOWN!!! That is not the only thing of course, but it tops the list. Slow the voice down (not too slow, or it will have the reverse effect) to a speed that makes you comfortable in that you can edit, fix, and proofread all at the same time. No slower than that. Try to temporarily forget about your line count for a while. Work on the best voice speed that makes you the most productive without having to replay, back up, or go forward. If a sentence sounds complicated to you, take a second to do a double take. If a sentence is easy and appropriate, use those places for your speed.

BTW, I scored 100% on my last audit. My dear, it does not mean a thing. That is not a true indication of your MT and editing abilities day in and day out. The previously one was a miserable failure. I just slowed down. If there was any question about anything, even though I am smart enough to correct discrepancies in most cases, I send them to QA.

If is usually no problem for you to make the line count, but you are having a problem with quality, find a voice speed and your own speed of editing that makes you the most productive. Try that for a while, give it a fair try, and then look at your production and your quality.

Agree - newbutold

[ In Reply To ..]
What I do is I don't dwell on my blanks at all, just type but then if there are blanks, I go back and slow the volume down and probably 90% of the time can fill in the blanks and normally will listen to anywhere else that I might have questioned myself. I can have a great audit one week and absolutely horrible the next. I just keep plugging away. Don't let it get you down. There are days where I do great with my LPH and then I will have days that I don't know why I bothered, just depends on the dictators and quality of the dictation.

Thanks - will do that

[ In Reply To ..]
Since I always seem to miss out on bonus, the only way for me to get higher pay is by doing more lines, but that doesn't mean I don't care about quality, I certainly do.

So perhaps, yes, must try to find a good slower speed and maybe try to bring all 3 together (edit, fix, proofread). Good idea.

With proofreading afterwards, I never pick up my mistakes, so would rather just listen again, but obviously time consuming. I like your idea to focus completely as you go - at the right speed so you don't have to keep going back.

Sometimes I think it is luck, too. When your number's up with FIESA, they seem to do a whole slew of audits in one day, or at least that is what happens to me. If they would consistently do one report a day I think I would have a better chance. It almost seems like they go through the reports and find the ones with errors, and THEN audit them! But that would be paranoid...

I still would like to know what percentage of us make the bonuses. That should be something they tell us so we all think it is achievable, but these statistics seem to be conspicuously absent from the rah rah emails.

Thanks.

I just did one like that - not going too fast

[ In Reply To ..]
And it worked really well! It was a big long op, and because I had been paying attention the entire time and not rushing I didn't have to replay it except for blanks. And my line count was if anything slightly higher.

It is much more enjoyable doing it this way too, not feeling so rushed and wondering what I missed. Well, no one ever accused me of having too much common sense, but still, it's good to find a simple thing that helps.

Thanks for your ideas.

I would add - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
As another poster suggested, if you run across a stickler, do a very quick search. If you do not find it quickly, leave a blank and go on. Chances are good that later on in the report, you are going to figure out that blank, whether it is a medical term that was not spoken clearly, a medical facility, or a doctor name that was not stated clearly. You will begin to get the feel of the blanks you can leave, looking for the answer later in the report.

The above suggestion of slowing down, get it right the first time, actually does improve your production and quality.

Agree with above posters. - busymt

[ In Reply To ..]
I know it's hard not to worry about getting the lph up and the total lines up with the way Nuance has it set up. They have made it very difficult to produce a quality document and be able to produce the quantity we need to make a living. What I have started doing is putting in a blank when I am not 100% positive of what is being said. I don't stop and search anything. I just move on. After I am done, if it is a long or difficult report, I get up, get some coffee or whatever, and then relisten at the blanks and 90% of the time I can fill them in or find the term I wasn't sure about. It doesn't really take that much time to relisten. Another thing I do is if it is a real pain in the you know what dictator, I put it in temp and then go back to it after I do another report. I usually am able to fill them in that way. I think your focus right now needs to be quality and not quantity. I think you'll find that your speed will pick back up when your confidence does. The errors just tear down your confidence - at least they do mine, especially when you have expectations that are so high like we do here. You'll do fine.

Another viewpoint - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
All of the above, but I also see a physical/emotional connection. I have found that when I do my mini exercise routine (About 5 minutes on rowing machine and about 10 minutes of strength/core/and stretching) I actually do better on the editing. It keeps me more alert and helps my posture and wrists.

I have also started doing a brain training system via internet that takes about 10 to 15 minutes per session. (you can do a search--I think its costs about $40/year) I believe that has helped my focus and has even helped me to sleep better. I feel like I am making quicker decisions regarding account specs, etc.

If you have personal worries, it might help to write them down so you do not have to think about them while working.

As you are working, write down things that you have to look up and study up on them later when you have more time. Plural words, surgical terminology, grammar? Make sure your platform version is used well so that your grammar and spelling errors are showing. The grammar check does pick up many common mistakes with subject/verb agreement, etc. Think about ways to use your expander or check on some websites for ideas. Good luck to you.

Similar Messages:

Another Close One ASR
May 21, 2014

Dictated: 50 units of hyaluronidase added VSR: 50 units of hobbling around the base added ...

Again, So Close ASR
Aug 25, 2014

ASR: Positive flora on ice and hit a pole... how do you get that from a doc saying positive for "uhm" ...

So Close To Quitting
Oct 07, 2011

I have to vent!  At the moment, there are no words to express how much I hate this job.  i am so sick of listening to foreigners who sound like they have marbles in their mouths and the women sounding like shrill little girls with marbles in their mouths, struggling with all my heart and soul to do a good job, for pennies, knowing if I send to QA for help, my pennies will be taken away.  This is insanity!  I swear, I've died and gone to hell!  ...

This Close To Quitting
Mar 12, 2014

I am this close to quitting right this second. All I have had is foreign doctors. Are there ANY English speaking doctors left??? They expect 99.8% accuracy with this crap???? Are they kidding me??? I've been sitting here almost screaming because I can't understand a thing they're saying. I had one who was chewing gum like a cow!!! Give me a break. If I had a job to fall back on, I would quit right this second. ...

This Close To Quitting!
Mar 17, 2014

If I didn't need the gol dang money so bad I'd quit right now! More work added on my plate after you cut my pay...twice! This is beyond what I can handle today. I'm only 45 minutes into my shift and I'm crying already. Let me back up, Saturday I was NJA (as usual) so I (stupidly) emailed my PTO requests in for the year, during my shift, and then I get an email about "productive time" and then had another account added to my pool. And given 30 minutes to learn 68 pages of a ...

Epic Close To Home...
Jan 16, 2012

A HUGE clinic with many different specialties in this area has went to Epic and now have laid off 30 MTs.  They said with Epic they didn't need them all.  What a shame!  I actually use that clinic, and I knew something was up a couple months ago when I went to the doctor.  They had a new system and they were typing everything in the computer.  When I left they gave me this printout that looked like a medical report.  It had my diagnosis, medicati ...

Oracle. And NO I'm NOT Management Or Even Close To It.
Jul 02, 2012

Why don't we ALL post some of this stuff on the Oracle chat board?!! Maybe you'd get some answers. Why??? Because you might be found out by management???  What a bunch of hypocrites!  ...

The Time Is Coming Close...
Apr 01, 2014

For M*Modal to spew forth their B.S offer to the MT Dept. at our community hospital. Have some ideas already but could use more suggestions/ideas on ways to get the community involved- to let our patients know exactly where our JOBS and THEIR health records will be going.... any help/ideas???  ...

New Quality Index Vs Old Quality Score
Oct 18, 2014

I ran an error report for all reports, all accounts on my platform for this quarter, 10/1 - 10/18. So far the Quality Index is 84% vs Quality Score 99.18%.  Didn't they advertise this new error scoring as working out in our favor?  Doesn't look like it to me. This is based on 2194 jobs and 105,358 lines audited on E5.  I checked the box that says view all corrections on the correction report. ...

Been Paying Close Attention To My ASR Reports
Feb 07, 2012

not been ONE SINGLE LINE so far in any report that has not needed editing in some fashion.  Not ONE SINGLE LINE.  Usually multiple things in every line including stupid little words it leaves out, stupid things it adds, repetition by the doctor that it cannot discern, blatant errors of the ASR, punctuation, numbering, and on and on and on --- for 60% of my line rate?  If there are folks who have great ASR and can just breeze through with a cursory proofread, more power t ...

Job Hunting - 3 Hospitals No Where Close To Me Pay......are You Ready....
Apr 30, 2012

$15/hour.  Like the good ole days.  I'm moving soon but not to those cities.  Hopefully I can find a MT in-house job, otherwise, I'm done.  I will not continue to work for these low wages while the companies make billions in revenue.  ...

Oh, Great Just What I Needed To See So Close To Graduating
Nov 30, 2012

Before I get jumped on for trying to "stir the pot", I  come to this forum quite often.  I am a medical transcriptionist and am almost done with my coding course.  I will be taking the CPC sometime in January or February.  However, upon doing research on obtaining a coding job after graduating, I came across this.  Of course the date is 2011, but it's still fairly recent.  This is from the AAPC forum board.  My heart literally sank when I saw this.  O ...

Wow Giving Away Close To 400 In Gift Cards
May 15, 2015

Are you freaking serious??? How many MTs are there in this company? What an insult..And no I'm not playing your games, entering your contests, or doing anything but look for another job. ...

Anyone Heard Of *EVO III" Or Close To That, Demineralized Bone Matrix?
Oct 20, 2009

nm ...

Hyphen - Close To Near Full Thickness Rotator Cuff Tear
May 11, 2012

Plz help me with this sentence regarding the hyphen usage.   close to near full thickness rotator cuff tear     Thnx in advance for the help,   Syd ...

Anyone Heard Of "fem-flare IVF". I Can't Find Anything Close To This.
Mar 16, 2011

thanks much! ...

Hyphen ... Providing High Quality Care OR High-quality Care
Oct 06, 2011

... providing high quality care OR high-quality care. I did it one way and the dictating NP says it should be the other way.  I have to do it her way but I would appreciate hearing from some fellow MT professionals. Thanks for any input.     ...

From Below, About 99% Quality
May 22, 2011

slowly sinking here because my quality has always been 98-100 quality, years and years. Now, however, I am expected to maintain 99% quality, on a hideously difficult account, but I must also maintain my LPH. In other words, I have to listen to reports on the fastest speed I can to get my LPH yet maintain some form of quality. The reports go to QA who in turn listen at the slowest possible speed to give errors for not including 'the' and mind you this cannot even be heard unless you ...

DQS 7 Quality
Jun 13, 2012

What is everyone's opinion about the new speech engine?  I'm not talking about the user side....I mean the quality of it's speech recognition.  I thought it was supposed to be so much better, but I'm finding it to be terrible.  There are times when it leaves out 3 and 4 words and puts in words that are not even close (i.e., family history when the doc clearly says social history)!  That, and the sound quality SUCKS! Here's another example:  Dic ...

Quality 2.0
Oct 04, 2014

So this was the "exciting news" that we've all been waiting for? What a waste of time this was.  I nearly fell asleep. ...

New Quality 2.0
Oct 12, 2014

Fiesa score over 99%, however the new quality index less than 60.  I can see the writing on the wall. ...

New Quality Coach
Jun 09, 2010

Just got an email about getting a new quality coach.  This, of course, answers my question of why no emails for the past week from her.  I hope she didn't lose her job.  She was a really good coach, the best one I've had in the last 7 years, and wasn't one who corrected little things like punctuation in audits or things that made no difference in the report integrity.  She is one I will miss.  I only hope the new one is also with a strong QA ...

DSG- Sound Quality
Jul 18, 2010

I'm trying to troubleshoot something.  Does anyone else have sound-quality issues on DSG dictations?  Just curious if I should seriously have this looked at on my end.  It's not all reports, but enough so that I need to look into it one way or the other.  If I'm the only one, I'll hire someone to look into this.  I have no problems with audio otherwise, just work-wise. ...

Quality Alert Because Of Being Below 99%
Jul 21, 2010

Do they expect 99% now? ...

Quality Alert
Oct 13, 2010

I received a quality alert feedback that I had failed and wanted to know if anybody knew if this was an actual audit or what?  And if so, has this happened to anyone and what happens?  Thanks. ...

Quality Of Dictation
Jan 09, 2011

I work for MedQuist.  Why is it some days I get pretty decent dictation with some bad ones mixed in there and then all of a sudden there will be days I have bad quality dictation all day? Anybody else? ...

Quality Audits-sm
May 02, 2011

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen lately.  I received a quality audit on 4/25 on my audit, which I passed at 98.3% (had one icky one in there).  Then on 4/29 got another email of an audit of 5 reports, did not give a total score, but they were all pretty darn good (3 at 100%, 1 at 98, 1 at 98.75).  Then on 4/30, another email, they checked 3 more reports (all those above 98% too).  But what is going on, are they searching for something bad?  Are they doin ...

Do Any Companies Pay For QUALITY?
Sep 05, 2011

I have many years of experience and check my work very carefully, which obviously takes more time than people who put through crap and don't bother to edit whatever the speech engine throws their way. Do any companies pay for quality over quanitity?  I do meet the minimum line counts. ...

Can The Sound Quality
Sep 07, 2011

I've done this account forever and even the guys who were always clear now sound like they are dictating through a wet paper bag, with pebbles in their mouths.  Have they switched to India Bell? ...

Quality Training
Sep 21, 2011

I have seen on this board how important quality training is.  I have also seen the Andrews School mentioned.  Can anyone else offer any information, good or bad, regarding training programs so us wannabe's dont make a mistake selecting a program?  Any that you woul recommend taking or staying away from? Thanks ...