A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

TAA--not so simple - Former MT

Posted: Nov 12, 2013

My hospital outsourced the entire MT dept to MM. Applied for TAA. Looks like MM supplied the investigator with information that says American MT's are doing the work and not offshore...sooo, we may not get TAA. Also, I've read about lay-offs on this site but yet they advertise in the state where I live and surroundings states. I'm in the NW. How can they get away with lay-offs and then have job ads?

Oh, they were hiring DURING the layoffs! - They never stopped

[ In Reply To ..]
Even as people were getting the call from their TSM, there was still an ad running. They do it because they can.

Our TAA petition is approved, end of story. - petition

[ In Reply To ..]
The extensive off shoring issue was verified and that is why the petition was approved. It is valid until March. That person doesn't comprehend the process and the petition approval.

You're lucky - Former MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You're acct must have been off shored. Apparently it's not a sure thing if MM proves you're particular job is done mostly with American MTs. Is there any way you can tell me if you worked for MM or a hospital that MM took over? Any info would be appreciated. I know PeaceHealth/St.John's got certified in my state.

Your - account

[ In Reply To ..]
may not have been offshored, but many others are, which in turn is causing more people moved to other accounts, such as yours. I'm not sure I am understanding what you're asking. I worked for MM for many years. My workflow dropped significantly because of offshoring. I had to prove to TAA that I was only making 80% of what I was making before the offshoring. They did a big push to offshore last year and that is when my wages dropped because people were shuffled around and there was not enough work for everybody, thus causing me to lose wages. I was on an account that did not offshore, but people were moved there because theirs was.

Are you trying to get TAA due to lost wages from going from the hospital to MM? Don't know if that would be reason. But, if you are losing wages since being moved and having lack of work now, that would be different.
We were Hospital employees that MM took over - Former MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your reply. The transcription dept at my hospital was entirely replaced with M-Modal. We were employees of the hospital, not working for MM. So we lost our jobs and got unemployment and are trying to get TAA. Now the TAA investigator for our group is saying MM provided information to the TAA investigator that MM is using US MTs, not foreign MTs, at my former hospital, which means our jobs did not get off shored even though MM can offshore it at any time.
If I - am
[ In Reply To ..]
understanding this correctly, you are trying to file a petition for TAA due to your hospital laying all of you off and giving the work to MM. Did you have the choice to go to MM? If you didn't, I would say your hospital just screwed you. If MM had offered you jobs and you took it, which would definitely cause your wages to drop, but that still wouldn't be due to offshoring, just a cheap company that doesn't pay it's employees fairly. If you went to work for MM and then your wages started dropping due to lack of work, which is happening due to offshoring, then you would definitely qualify under MM's petition. If MM did not offer you jobs, I would say that they are catching on to TAA and don't want anymore people who can file for TAA on their petition. Wow, it sounds like MM is figuring out how to get around some TAA claims.

I am by no means an expert on TAA, but have learned a lot since being involved in it. You could call the national number and talk to them, they seem to know more than the states do.
Yes, that's correct. Took our jobs. - Former MT
[ In Reply To ..]
We were told MM would be happy to talk to us but we'd have to test and there was absolutely no guarantee we'd be hired by MM. One person had already worked there PT as a 2nd job, 2 others were hired PT and still there, another did not pass the test and was not hired. The majority opted not to apply. I think you are right about MM and TAA finding a way out.
So - Sorry
[ In Reply To ..]
to hear what happened to you. It seems you got screwed. I really don't think you could get (TAA) since you did not lose your job to offshoring, they just sold you out to MModal. Please talk to the TAA people to make sure. The people that are working there now may have the opportunity in the future if they run out of work because MModal is trying to get rid of most of us in the US. You are better off not working for MModal and taking the UE, but wouldn't have the opportunity for TAA. Again, so sorry that your hospital sold you out.
You're right--we got screwed - Former MT
[ In Reply To ..]
We have been working with a TAA investigator and it is not looking good. Amazing that this company can get away with so much. Thanks so much for all the info.
You are - welcome
[ In Reply To ..]
though in this case it appears that your hospital screwed you, MModal did not get a chance to screw you. They should have set it up where you would get jobs with MModal if you wanted and not have to test for a job. I believe that is what a lot of hospitals are doing. Very sad.
Yep, sad indeed - Former MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, our hospital did not treat us well. Won't even give us a reference, will only verify dates and pay. Our group worked there 6 to 20+ years and that's how we were treated. We are mostly 50s and 60s with only 2 in their 40's.

Similar Messages:

Help Pls, Should Be Simple!
Jul 31, 2012

s/l doc is saying sub bladder? I just never heard this term.  I know there is "suburethral" just never heard "subbladder".  The entire sentense is... Cystoscope was then reintroduced, entire urethra was then examined, as was the posterior "subbladder" neck and bladder.   Thank you in advance. ...

Word Help Please-probably Something Simple
May 15, 2010

but I can't figure it out.  This is an UC report for an 11-yo with a sore throat.  NECK: Supple with enlarged s/l "heneroadenopathy" bilaterally. ...

A Few Simple Questions
Oct 18, 2010

Should "living will" be capitalized or not????  Is it eardrops or ear drops and eyedrops or eye drops??? ...

Simple Question Plz :)
Mar 18, 2011

What voice recognition platform does Medquist use?  Thanks in advance. ...

Simple Question
May 18, 2011

When a doctor dictates something like "times several days", how do you type it?   I type it just as I wrote it in my question, but I was just wondering if there is a better way.  ...

Simple SH Question.
Sep 14, 2013

Can I turn Shorthand off on my browser?  I currently use Firefox. ...

I Have A Very Simple Question For MQers
Mar 08, 2010

Let us say it's April 1st. You're not going anywhere. You're planning on working and you report as scheduled throughout the pay period. How many of you can predict, let's say within 5%, what you'll make during the pay period with everything taken into consideration? ...

Income Simple Survey
Mar 24, 2010

After losing an employee status job due to healthcare reform anticipated cuts, I am considering going back to IC status.  Just to keep things super simple, as a baseline would appreciate hearing what ICs are making yearly who work a 40 hour a week.  ...

MPWord And Simple Dictation
Mar 20, 2013

Just signed up for SimpleDictation. Has anyone used the software before. It used to be called MedPen/MPWord?  ...

Simple Transcription System
May 19, 2013

I am with a small office and we stilll use tapes.  Anyone have recommendations of a simple, economical digital transcription system that works good for you.   Thanks! ...

What To Charge For Simple Interview Transcription?
Nov 14, 2011

I hope this is the right board to ask this quick question!  If not, please re-direct me. A friend of mine has a genealogy business, and does Q & A sessions with people (usually elderly, but some not) about their lives, their family history.  She will be needing these interviews transcribed (simple format).  Each interview is about 5 minutes of dictation time, and they're digital files that she will e-mail to me, and I'll e-mail them back.  No printing invo ...

Am Considering A Position With M*Modal. Have A Simple Question
Oct 11, 2012

Actually, I guess I have 2 questions.  What is the production minimum for editing?  What is your average production in lines per hour with editing?   I know the latter question carries a lot of variables, and I will take those into consideration.  But I would like to know how you all actually do production wise.  Please, no inflations just honest answers concerning your average.  A simple 250 or 325 or whatever would suffice.  If you can elaborate further or ...

Need Simple Word 2010 Macro For Copy/Paste
Feb 14, 2014

I've been using Instant Text for years but realized that there are probably quite a few macros I could create in Word 2010 to make certain repetitive commands a lot easier for me.  I know the basics of creating a macro in Word but cannot for the life of me figure out how to create a macro to do this: I want to copy text,(i.e. from a Preoperative Diagnosis) and have it pasted into the next line after the heading Postoperative Diagnosis when the dictator says "same." I tried recording ...

Simple Question Regarding "exciting" Changes To Wage Theft/pay Plan.
Feb 28, 2015

Are the latest "exciting" changes meant to help or hinder us, the MTs? ...

Ortho Word "simple (something) Suppressor"
Feb 11, 2010

Patient has erythema and edema of right foot.  Doctor says he is going to try "simple (something) suppressor with anti-inflammatories".  The something s/l "allo meta thotic" but is garbled/slurred and all I can really be sure of is "thotic" at the end. ...